• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Truly there is just too many anime swordsmen!:troll:
Better remove that new one they added, that crocodile king. He's got a cape and a counter, so he's probably an anime swordsman. Kids probably don't recognize him either, so he's got to go.
:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm sure it's already been pointed out, but I just realized that Dark Samus is a Nintendo character who wasn't created by a Japanese studio. She's also the first Nintendo character to originate in America.

Normally I don't care about stuff like this, but that's actually pretty cool. We now have three Nintendo characters who didn't originate in Japan, two of which were shown off in the Direct.

D

Deleted member

I just noticed in Chrom's trailer:

ROBS EYES WORK.png

R.O.B.'s expressions are fixed! Yay!

Unless they manage to break them again...

Starry

Smash Rookie
So here's a question, would you rather they release every bit of information today or would you rather they trickle information out slowly, with small bits every day until release?

Personally I'd just take all of it today. It loses hype but I hate not knowing things!
I think if someone strolled up to me and asked whether or not I'd like to know every single little detail about Ultimate prior to it's release... I wouldn't be able to stop myself and then I'd suffer for a million years waiting for the game to actually come out ;-;

so for the sake of my sanity I think it's best for information to come to us over time

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure it's already been pointed out, but I just realized that Dark Samus is a Nintendo character who wasn't created by a Japanese studio. She's also the first Nintendo character to originate in America.

Normally I don't care about stuff like this, but that's actually pretty cool. We now have three Nintendo characters who didn't originate in Japan, two of which were shown off in the Direct.
They call Ridley "Captain America", when the real one was coming this whole time.

I think if someone strolled up to me and asked whether or not I'd like to know every single little detail about Ultimate prior to it's release... I wouldn't be able to stop myself and then I'd suffer for a million years waiting for the game to actually come out ;-;

so for the sake of my sanity I think it's best for information to come to us over time
On a related note, I am glad that they'll reveal every character in the base roster, default and secret, before the game is released. Trying to avoid spoilers is a mine field that I don't ever want to cross again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Chrom being a mix of Roy and Ike is a good thing. It makes for a more interesting playstyle despite being based on two characters who are already on the roster.

Not to mention, even if you don't like Chrom, you have to be excited for the fact that both he and Dark Samus were added because they were popular picks. At least Sakurai gave that reason for why they're in as Echo Fighters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's funny how Americans always complain about "anime" characters being same and only American character we have is a clone.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Not sure if this has been posted but I thought it was interesting.
About a month ago, someone on NeoGAF posted this(now deleted) leak

I might delete this post soon since I don't want to cause the source I got this information from any trouble though I can't help it to share this information out of curiosity, even if it won't stay here for too long.

Here is some basic information that I've got:

- The Fire Emblem Series won't receive any newcomers but 2 who are based on existing fighters
- The Legend of Zelda Series won't receive any newcomers
- The Pokemon Series won't receive any newcomers
- Something about an addition to Cloud was mentioned, though I don't know for now if it's gonna be another Final Fantasy character or some other Square Enix character

There are gonna be 12 newcomers in total from which 5 of them are going to be based on other fighters.

For the new ones I only got information on 3 characters who should appear in this title:

- Simon Belmont
- King K. Rool
- Isaac
- X
- X
- X
- X

As for the 5 who are based on other fighters I could also just get the name of 3 of them:

- Chrom based on Roy (appearently with other effects than flames?)
- Soren (I don't know about any changes but he willl be based on Robin)
- Ken ( Based on Ryu with Flame effects)
- X
- X

Some of those will be announced very soon.

Take it or leave it I don't care, I will delete this post soon anyways.
I'd usually disregard this but he mentioned Chrom being a Roy echo which is kind of left field as a lot of things(Including Smash Wii U) Implied he would be an Ike clone. So "predicting" would have had to have been pretty hard.

He also came back after the Direct and updated his list to fill in the blanks

Hello again everyone.
I wanted to share the missing information with you all that I got for the game's final characters.

2 out of the 7 newcomers are already confirmed and here are the final ones.

- K Rool (already confirmed)
- Simon Belmont (already confirmed)
- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)
- Terra from the Final Fantasy Series
- Another Bandai Namco character
- Prince Sable from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

Coming to the Echo Fighter there are people who didn't understand the system behind my information. The 2 "X" that were left were indeed Dark Samus und Richter. It was the amount of characters I got information on for the time being. And I didn't include characters like Inkling,Ridley and Daisy since they were already officially confirmed at that point. Since people doubted it I only wanted to share information again when some of the characters I called were finally confirmed.
There will be no more "X" this time since I wanted to make sure that everyone is named.

With that said there will indeed be more Echo Fighters than I anticipated before.

- Chrom based on Roy (already confirmed)
- Soren based on Robin (still on his way)
- Dark Samus based on Samus (already confirmed)
- Richter based on Simon (already confirmed)
- Ken based on Ryu (still on his way)
- Shadow the Hedgehog based on Sonic (still on his way)
- Felix based on Isaac(will be revealed together with Isaac like Simon was with Richter)
- Isabelle based on Villager (still on her way)
- Galacta Knight based on Meta Knight (still on his way)

As for the Bandai Namco character, it's the only one left I don't know about. I will update it if I get my hands on that information.
That's it for the main roster. I don't know if there are any plans for DLC but since Super Smash Bros for the Wii U had DLC you can most likely expect it here as well.

This post will be deleted soon as well. And again, take it or leave it.
Right off the bat, I assume people will discard this because he mentioned Galacta Knight being a Meta Knight Echo Fighter, but I wouldn't be so quick to think that. Lucina and Dark Pit were literally just costumes made into their own characters at the last minute. If you pay attention, this is visibly apparent in both Lucina and Dark Pit as their differences are miniscule. In fact, you can notice that Lucina's idle animation is completely unchanged. On Marth, he puts his hand on his chest while Lucina's just kind of hovers there. It's not really all that farfetched to think Sakurai made Galacta Knight into an Echo Fighter at the very last second. I would just assume that he would have very small differences.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Chrom being a mix of Roy and Ike is a good thing. It makes for a more interesting playstyle despite being based on two characters who are already on the roster.

Not to mention, even if you don't like Chrom, you have to be excited for the fact that both he and Dark Samus were added because they were popular picks. At least Sakurai gave that reason for why they're in as Echo Fighters.
It's also cool because it makes his fighting style a mix between Ike and Marth and these two were inspirations in his original character design afaik.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'd usually disregard this but he mentioned Chrom being a Roy echo which is kind of left field as a lot of things(Including Smash Wii U) Implied he would be an Ike clone. So "predicting" would have had to have been pretty hard.

Right off the bat, I assume people will discard this because he mentioned Galacta Knight being a Meta Knight Echo Fighter, but I wouldn't be so quick to think that. Lucina and Dark Pit were literally just costumes made into their own characters at the last minute. If you pay attention, this is visibly apparent in both Lucina and Dark Pit as their differences are miniscule. In fact, you can notice that Lucina's idle animation is completely unchanged. On Marth, he puts his hand on his chest while Lucina's just kind of hovers there. It's not really all that farfetched to think Sakurai made Galacta Knight into an Echo Fighter at the very last second. I would just assume that he would have very small differences.
I can't really remember where it is on the website, but I'm pretty sure there's an image of Prince Sable's AT where he's in his snake form, or maybe it was part of someone's character video.

Edit: Upon looking through the graveyard thread it seems like I'm just misremembering it.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Might, not be the same person.
The original post was in July, the second post was made by an account created an hour after the direct.
Either the original account was deleted/banned and he recreated the same one, or it's a guy who simply jumped on the occasion once this leak gained traction on 4chan.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

As someone on youtube pointed out, none of the chracters shown at the direct were "relevent".

King K. Rool hasn't been a main villain of a game since Brawl times and Dark Samus died not long after. (not to mention Other M killing the series for years)
Outside of the Netflix series, Castlevania is dormant and Simon and Richter haven't shown up for a while.
Closest to relevant is Chrom who is pretty much the face of Modern Fire Emblem but it's been years since his starring game and there's a new FE game coming.

This gives so much hope for all those characters we thought were dead in the water.
Except Krystal.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

They're already going back on how many echoes they originally said...also Soren as a Robin clone? Yea I don't believe this one.

Unrelated, but I've changed my mind and added Medusa to my predictions, mostly because I want her lol.

EDIT: Also apparently might not be the same person, so yeah calling bull ****.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
In light of the recent direct, do you guys think that Elma has a chance at this point?
Yeah I still think Elma still has a chance to get in the timing of her game puts her in a reasonable position to be a newcomer in smash
No point in getting mad about Fire Emblem because it's widely agreed that Chrom was the last major character that people really wanted (well and Lyn but...) from the franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Fire Emblem and Metroid were made "complete" with this last Direct and have all their bases covered. With Ashley disconfirmed, Wario is basically done too because nobody else comes close to being as notable and the franchise has no characters that could pass as an echo or semi clone of Wario.
Pretty much this although, chances of a character from Heroes and/or Three Houses getting DLC is quite possible, Sakurai broke his opinion on FE on this Direct, he could do it again.

Lyn being shafted still perplexes/eats at me, and I hope Sakurai considers her for DLC or for future installments of Smash (whenever that is) .

Other than Ashley, I see Mona being the next notable choices for Warioware newcomer.
I asked this a while back, but is anyone else genuinely mad about the way Chrom was handled? Maybe it's because I was already against getting another FE character, but I thought making him an Echo of a semi-clone was an extremely stupid decision. Instead of spreading the clones throughout the unique FE characters, we're stuck with four characters sharing the same vanilla moveset that you could essentially give to any FE character with a sword.

Personally, I would've made Chrom a full Ike Echo. I know the swords are different sizes, but I would've rather seen Sakurai pull a Lucina and misrepresent the size of Chrom's sword than to give us a second Marth semi-clone.
Well, at least he managed to get in as another FE newcomer, which is more than what I can say for others (Lyn), regardless of Sakurai's past opinion on FE.
I actually favor quite the opposite of what you wanted, despite it being balanced, if they made Chrom an Ike clone, I would've be mad with his reveal. Him being a Roy echo is the only thing that makes me content with his inclusion.
Neither him or Phosphora have been confirmed as an Assist yet, but both likely will
You're most likely right. However, have I not suffered enough yet AT wise?

osby

Smash Obsessed
As someone on youtube pointed out, none of the chracters shown at the direct were "relevent".

King K. Rool hasn't been a main villain of a game since Brawl times and Dark Samus died not long after. (not to mention Other M killing the series for years)
Outside of the Netflix series, Castlevania is dormant and Simon and Richter haven't shown up for a while.
Closest to relevant is Chrom who is pretty much the face of Modern Fire Emblem but it's been years since his starring game and there's a new FE game coming.

This gives so much hope for all those characters we thought were dead in the water.
Except Krystal.
On the other hand, it killed my hopes for any new characters, because apparently we're only getting Inkling.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
You guys do know that number of reps per series does not matter. The big names do.
Zelda has the big names.
Mario is missing one.
Pokemon can go forever.
Since when? If big names is all that matters, why does FE keep getting characters? Likewise for Pokemon? Both FE and PKMN have their big name characters (bar Meowth).

Besides, Tingle and Impa are still missing with Zelda. Even the Fierce Deity given how popular he is, but he will likely only be Young Link's final smash

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's weird how we went from "there's gonna be a lot of Switch and last-gen characters" to "lol we're not getting any newer characters because it's all fan-favorites" in character speculation. Characters that were unlikely have become all-but-confirmed, characters that seemed obvious are now the underdogs. Which makes me a bit bitter over Corrin's inclusion as an Elma supporter.

D

Deleted member

They've been taking inspiration from all their classic looks too, with K. Rool having his gold belly back, and Simon being based on his NES era depictions. It kind of makes me sad too, because if Isaac manages to show up this time, he's probably not going to have a beard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They've been taking inspiration from all their classic looks too, with K. Rool having his gold belly back, and Simon being based on his NES era depictions. It kind of makes me sad too, because if Isaac manages to show up this time, he's probably not going to have a beard.
Bearded Isaac as an echo. If people kept giving suggesting a Big Boss echo you can vouch for Bearded Isaac

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's weird how we went from "there's gonna be a lot of Switch and last-gen characters" to "lol we're not getting any newer characters because it's all fan-favorites" in character speculation. Characters that were unlikely have become all-but-confirmed, characters that seemed obvious are now the underdogs. Which makes me a bit bitter over Corrin's inclusion as an Elma supporter.
If someone stated 7 months ago that Pichu, Young Link, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus were all more likely to be playable than Spring Man or Rex, you'd have been laughed at.

Last edited:

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Might, not be the same person.
The original post was in July, the second post was made by an account created an hour after the direct.
Either the original account was deleted/banned and he recreated the same one, or it's a guy who simply jumped on the occasion once this leak gained traction on 4chan.
It seems like it's the same account. There are quote posts on the NeoGAF forum that links to the account 'WhissIBlank' and the new post is also from that same name. I think it's possible that the first one is real and the second one is just him being fed false info or possibly just trying to keep his 15 minutes of fame going.

Edit: NVM the second one may be fake. Anything is possible for the first one.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's probably for the best that they don't reference DD, which is Golden Sun's Other M as it currently stands.

D

Deleted member

It's probably for the best that they don't reference DD, which is Golden Sun's Other M as it currently stands.
I mean, Samus still uses her Other M design in this game...

I don't know that much about Golden Sun, I just like how beard Isaac looks.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Since when? If big names is all that matters, why does FE keep getting characters? Likewise for Pokemon? Both FE and PKMN have their big name characters (bar Meowth).
Both Pokemon and Fire Emblem don't have a consistent cast. It's always added new faces rather than focusing on a famous few. This is why those series will always be adding new characters while it becomes more difficult to find ones for other series.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It seems like it's the same account. There are quote posts on the NeoGAF forum that links to the account 'WhissIBlank' and the new post is also from that same name. I think it's possible that the first one is real and the second one is just him being fed false info or possibly just trying to keep his 15 minutes of fame going.

I have no idea how Neogaf works. But this account didn't exist before the Smash direct.
Either it's the original leaker who came back and recreated the same account, OR it's a person who saw the 4chan thread mentioning the leak and decided to copy the avatar and name.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Blanka will be the SF assist, isn't he like the favourite of one of the SF creators ?
Close, he's a favorite of one of its producers.

Fair enough, though they did at least use a different Ridley design. But yeah, you get what I mean.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I still dislike the idea of echo-fighters. They make the roster fell cluttered, and take away from the uniqueness of other characters. A character like Marth is far less unique when you three characters that are similar/nearly identical to him.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet

Yeah, I'm really happy about Dark Samus's inclusion, partially for this reason. I tend to root for characters created by Western developers, not since I'm biased towards them, but since there are so few. It's kind of like rooting for your team in the Olympics, I guess. So far we have Diddy Kong and King K. Rool (from Rare, a British developer) and Dark Samus (from Retro, an American one). We also have a few characters whose modern incarnations are heavily influenced by Western developers, like Donkey Kong (Rare) and Little Mac (the Canadian Next Level Games). We also have Shovel Knight (American Yacht Club Games) as an AT. There might be a few I'm forgetting too. In terms of potential new Western based characters, there could be Dixie Kong (Rare) and Rayman (French Ubisoft).

As for Chrom, I'm happy to see he's a Roy echo instead of an Ike one. I never got much of a chance to play as Roy, as in Melee I wasn't that interested and I don't own the Wii U DLC (and probably won't until I buy Ultimate. It'll be like getting even more newcomers for me!). Now, there's a character I know pretty well that uses most of Roy's moves, and I'll get to experience them largely for the first time!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

I would absolutely love this roster (Monster Hunter and Ken in particular) so I'm leaning on the side of fake.

Also the newly created account makes it seem very suspicious. It would be very easy to just build off of an existing somewhat accurate leak for fake credibility points.

Also, why would they make Rathalos before MH if they intended to put them in? Surely they'd at least have a model to show off and reveal at the same time. Highly doubt the validity of this leak.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I feel like there are so many wanted characters that others want that I would hate to see.

Geno being one. Others would be Isabella, Isaac, Elma, Rex, or any pokemon. I'm glad a lot of the characters I didn't want ended up as ATs. That said, I still expect Geno to get in.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030

I have no idea how Neogaf works. But this account didn't exist before the Smash direct.
Either it's the original leaker who came back and recreated the same account, OR it's a person who saw the 4chan thread mentioning the leak and decided to copy the avatar and name.
If anyone is wondering, here's the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

This page is actually archived already so we can see that the first post was indeed posted on NeoGAF http://web.archive.org/web/20180705...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

If you scroll down and find the post you can click on his name and it'll take you to this link
https://www.neogaf.com/members/whisslblank.744020/

If we compare that to the new account that posted the second post, we'll see that the URL is different
https://www.neogaf.com/members/whisslblank.744939/

osby

Smash Obsessed

Isaac has only a few games and he wasn't the protag when he has a beard so he'd get his classic design.

Also, unpopular opinion, but I think Other M designs for Samus was fine and they work even better in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom