• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
For andross, his head is in the background and you could control one of his hands. The hand could play like a playable master hand, but with a character moveset and no fancy flips

Pakky

Smash Hero
It’s funny to think Dixie is all that’s really missing for Dk to be completely filled out

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It’s funny to think Dixie is all that’s really missing for Dk to be completely filled
Just like bandanna dee.
Poor zelda is complete.
Meteroid is complete.
Mario needs 1 more.
Pokemon can go forever.
So can fire emblem.
Warioware needa mona.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly I'm lost right now about how many characters could be left. Sakurai said not to expect "too many new challengers", yet we already got 8, echos are still NEW characters imo, but I don't know if Sakurai counts them or not. Maybe we get like just one or two below the amount of newcomers we got in Smash4 lmao. There's room for a lot of potential easy echos and also a few "highly requested" guys left, so I think some of them are getting the boot again, but let's see.
I really think that his "not many newcomers" was really for the original characters. With the fact that echoes don't add a number on the site, they aren't really counted. For example I'm expecting between 4 and 6 more unique newcomers, for a total of 8~10, while the echoes help bringing in new faces and make the roster feel bigger.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I really think that his "not many newcomers" was really for the original characters. With the fact that echoes don't add a number on the site, they aren't really counted. For example I'm expecting between 4 and 6 more unique newcomers, for a total of 8~10, while the echoes help bringing in new faces and maje the roster feel bigger.
I expect 4 more. Based on css speculation. From rumors, sounds like it is incineroar, skull kid , another 3rd party and a 4th one.

With the 3rd party being a namco rep.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're right, Dark Samus is the Metroid Prime having merged with Samus' Phazon Suit, so in a sense we've actually got a playable Metroid now.

The only way having three Samuses would have been an "issue" was if Ridley wasn't there, as that'd give the image of Metroid literally having nothing else but Samus, Samus and Samus.
Even with Ridley, I'm kinda worried about Metroid's image now that Dark Samus is here. I'm glad that she looks extremely alien (which helps distinguish her from Samus), but that doesn't change the fact that her name is still "Samus".

Should we be lucky enough, I'd like to see Metroid get another newcomer down the road for promotional DLC, if only for us to get another non-Samus character. Probably pushing it, but with MP4 coming out soon, I suppose it's possible.

I expect 4 more. Based on css speculation. From rumors, sounds like it is incineroar, skull kid , another 3rd party and a 4th one.

With the 3rd party being a namco rep.
Keep in mind that the CSS is gonna look weird regardless. The ability to mush Echoes into one slot can drastically change the layout.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm lost right now about how many characters could be left. Sakurai said not to expect "too many new challengers", yet we already got 8, echos are still NEW characters imo, but I don't know if Sakurai counts them or not. Maybe we get like just one or two below the amount of newcomers we got in Smash4 lmao. There's room for a lot of potential easy echos and also a few "highly requested" guys left, so I think some of them are getting the boot again, but let's see.
With how off-hand the non-Ritcher Echoes have been revealed I'm not sure they count. That and the fact that you can straight up hide them in the CSS

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I really think that his "not many newcomers" was really for the original characters. With the fact that echoes don't add a number on the site, they aren't really counted. For example I'm expecting between 4 and 6 more unique newcomers, for a total of 8~10, while the echoes help bringing in new faces and make the roster feel bigger.
Yeah it could possibly be that way. In that case, I think Geno, Bandana Dee and Isaac could still be coming.

The thing is.. Sakurai said 103 stages and all of them are already listed in the website, so I guess that means no new franchises represented? Yeah I know it could be a character without a stage but that's not how Sakurai rolls as he always adds a stage to the new franchise.

D

Deleted member

Should we be lucky enough, I'd like to see Metroid get another newcomer down the road for promotional DLC, if only for us to get another non-Samus character. Probably pushing it, but with MP4 coming out soon, I suppose it's possible.
inb4 metroid bias™

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah it could possibly be that way. In that case, I think Geno, Bandana Dee and Isaac could still be coming.

The thing is.. Sakurai said 103 stages and all of them are already listed in the website, so I guess that means no new franchises represented? Yeah I know it could be a character without a stage but that's not how Sakurai rolls as he always adds a stage to the new franchise.
To be fair, Ness and Captain Falcon didn't get a stage in 64, neither did Marth and Roy in Melee, and don't even get me started on poor R.O.B...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You're right, Dark Samus is the result of the Metroid Prime having merged with Samus' Phazon Suit, so in a sense we've actually got a playable Metroid now.

The only way having three Samuses would have been an "issue" was if Ridley wasn't there, as that'd give the image of Metroid literally having nothing else but Samus, Samus and Samus.
Samus, Zamus, and Damus, and Lizard Space Pirate Samus.
The Metroid characters.

But yeah, I think personally that having a bajillion of the "same character", however you see that phrase, is probably not a terrible thing as long as the franchise isn't just that.

But maybe it's more of a case-by-case thing for each franchise. I think it would be amusing to see Mr. L for Luigi, and also Dr. Luigi for a Dr. Mario echo. He's the same except taller. Nobody knows echo rules anymore, it can happen. Haha. (I'm only slightly kidding).

Also, on the subject of Mr. L, I think it would be okay if Mario RPG characters actually went into their own "franchise" category. Paper Mario, Mr. L, Geno, Boshi (?), etc.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I really think that his "not many newcomers" was really for the original characters. With the fact that echoes don't add a number on the site, they aren't really counted. For example I'm expecting between 4 and 6 more unique newcomers, for a total of 8~10, while the echoes help bringing in new faces and maje the roster feel bigger.
My predictions for rest of unique characters are:
68. Bandanna Dee - Heavily requested especially in Japan. He is also a big part of the Kirby series now, appearing in every new game and being playable often.

69 ;). Incineroar - Pokemon rep added in every game. I know there already is a dark type and fire type in Smash but I think Sakurai would choose him for his fighting style which hasn't been seen in Smash before.

70. RH Rep - I think Chorus Kids or whoever the RH rep was in Smash 4 was only cut because of 3ds limitations. Like Ice Climbers I believe Sakurai will revive them in this game. Also I definitely see them adding a new franchise and RH is just that.

71. Skull Kid - Has been requested for Smash for years. Had both a mii costume and assist trophy in Smash 4 and has been suspiciously absent from this game so far. Great Bay, Moon but no Skull Kid, makes me think he's playable. And then there's that leak as well.

72. Geno - Heavily requested for years. Mii costume in Smash 4 which had a splash screen when shown in direct. Incredible moveset potential.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Even with Ridley, I'm kinda worried about Metroid's image now that Dark Samus is here. I'm glad that she looks extremely alien (which helps distinguish her from Samus), but that doesn't change the fact that her name is still "Samus".

Keep in mind that the CSS is gonna look weird regardless. The ability to mush Echoes into one slot can drastically change the layout.
Maybe after Prime 4 releases we'll get a DLC character from that game? They might have slipped some concept art and stuff to Sakurai already. Probably won't happen, but just a thought. Nintendo knows that's their biggest thing coming up after Smash, so they might want to promote the heck out of it. Could even see something like that happening with the new FE.

D

Deleted member

Trailer starts.
It's a continuation of the Ridley trailer.
Ridley has beaten Samus.
He moves in for the kill.
Ridley gets hit with an energy blast.
Camera pans over and you see a figure in armor.
Zoom and pan up to unknown figure's face.
Visor lifts up.
REMEMBER ME?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
im guessing at something like:

waddle dee
elma
rhythm heaven rep (chorus men/karate joe)
pokemon rep
skull kid
geno

if theres a second namco rep i'd drop either chorus men or elma for that, but i actually think its more likely heihachi/lloyd get in as DLC as namco is working on the game and might not prioritize them right away... not sure why i feel that way just seems similar to how some veterans: mewtwo/lucas/roy etc... werent prioritized and saved those for DLC. I could see namco taking a back seat to getting everyone else in before repping a new series of theirs, knowing they can just add it later.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Maybe after Prime 4 releases we'll get a DLC character from that game? They might have slipped some concept art and stuff to Sakurai already. Probably won't happen, but just a thought. Nintendo knows that's their biggest thing coming up after Smash, so they might want to promote the heck out of it. Could even see something like that happening with the new FE.
I could see Sylux possibly being dlc.

D

Deleted member

It has just occured to me that two of my biggest predictions came true (King K. Rool and a third-party character).
My only prediction that hasn't been confirmed yet is a Gen 7 Pokemon newcomer. I think we're getting either Decidueye (pls) or Incineroar.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Maybe the second mushroom in the music select wasn't for Mario Kart, it was a placeholder icon that'll be replaced with a Star, for the Mario RPGs category.
(Don't deny it, there are a ton of songs from the RPGs that would be good enough and make its own category haha)

Just kidding. Don't mind me. It can't possibly be what happened.

Edit 1 (Aug. 10 2018):
I actually don't think that Star thing very strongly. Actually, Paper Mario (the stage) has a Mushroom, so it wouldn't even need to be a placeholder.

Puts this in my signature just in case

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Not really. I have a mock showing it looking nice.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I can agree with Bandana Dee, I am thinking it is Dicidueye (no I don't care what leakers say lol), and now possibly a Monster Hunter character because 1) People have said that the "boss fight" where we saw Fox/Falcon/Dedede fighting Rathalos was from monster hunter, and it is very odd to think that We would be getting such a powerful (and non-main character) assistant trophy/boss, WITHOUT a fighter to correspond to that boss fight.

My reasoning for this is that, in Brawl, (this all being if we do get Substance 2.0) besides Tabuus, Galloem, and Duon who are all Super Smash bosses only, every Boss represented a game series or universe that had playable characters in the game. Rayquaza, Ridley, Porky, and Petey Piranha all have fighters from their universes (Pokemon, Samus, Ness/Lucas, and Mario characters respectively). if Rathalos is a Boss character, we are almost garunteed to have a playable Monster Hunter fighter.

I also am holding out hope for Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Bajo & Kazooie, and Amateratsu as possible 3rd party characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In light of the recent direct, do you guys think that Elma has a chance at this point?
I don't see why not. I'm not rooting for her or anything, but if people still believe we can get a Pokemon character, Xenoblade should be no different.

That being said, I still think people are brushing off Rex/Pyra too soon. They'll be some tough competition for Elma.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even though Medusa isn't really that requested I still think he'll add her because he already added Chrom to the oversized FE roster and Sakurai Bias. Besides there is really no harm in adding an echo fighter.
You do realize that Super Mario Bros. and Pokemon have more reps than Fire Emblem, right?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
In light of the recent direct, do you guys think that Elma has a chance at this point?
Nah. I think they're focusing on adding requested characters rather than ones from recent games for the most part. Rex and Pyra will definitely be dlc if there is any though, probably along with Waluigi (The demand for him is too high, it would explode the internet if he was made playable now) and Springman and RibbonGirl.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I bet this has already been said, but I think the hidden mode "Spirits" is an adventure mode where each segment is in the vain of Adventure Melee, but the worlds are themed off of the many different franchises.

Spirits.

Mario level in vain of Mario with Bowser as Final Boss.
Megaman themed level like the classic game series in Smash U graphics, with an AT as a final boss.

ATs can be attack. they can make up sub bosses.

Castlevania played as Simon. Think about as 3D smash version of a classic Castlevania stage.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

i do think shes still fairly likely. her game had the right timing for being released when the roster was probably being decided, that robot action figure with a gun is probably for some character and they showed "mach rider" as music in the direct so i think its unlikely they'd show the name if that character was who the robot figures gun was for, bill trinen said xenoblade characterS (plural) in an interview and while that really could be absolutely nothing it potentially could have been a slip up so it adds a little bit more to her as i think rex is too new to have been planned for the base roster.

i think other characters have a better shot right now due to more solid leaks and higher fan demand, waddle dee for instance, but i'd still say shes in like the top ten for probable completely new newcomer choices.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Fire Emblem have 7 reps
Pokemon have 7 reps
Zelda have 6 reps
You guys do know that number of reps per series does not matter. The big names do.
Zelda has the big names.
Mario is missing one.
Pokemon can go forever.

Zeox

Smash Champion
You guys do know that number of reps per series does not matter. The big names do.
Zelda has the big names.
Mario is missing one.
Pokemon can go forever.
Then DK, Animal Crossing, Xenoblades and much others are missing big names too, so we can move on from Fire emblem and try to give some important characters from other franchises some love too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
True, but you can make this playable.

Plus Wolf is more of a rival than a full on villain, while Andross could also serve as the villain team's "brains" in a story mode.

I was half joking.
Andross, the mad scientist who looks more like a dark sorcerer.

Well, given all the space magic going around in Star Fox I should be too surprised.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If we can have a Gen VII Pokémon added (which is extremely likely at this point, considering Vergeben and the fpcus on Alola Pokeball Pokémon ) that means Xenoblade would probably too, since it is a growing series (X outsold the original and 2 outsold X).
Let's not forget that Xenoblade Chronicles X was the most ambitius title Nintendo created until Breath of the Wild (which was based partly on Monolith's experience with X's big open world), and probably the biggest Nintendo title of the last generation alongside Splatoon. Completely ignoring it would be a really bad decision.

Also, after seeing both Ditto and Sukapon, I've the feeling that Sakurai wants to bring back even old concepts/scrapped ideas, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Chorus Kids pop up in a trailer.
Why I'm saying this? Because it is extremely likely that Elma was the second pick for the "promotion DLC" spot that in the end went to Corrin. Here is a video made by SourceGaming on the matter:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpbLeEvIS4
If Sakurai had a moveset for her just a couple of months before he did the project plan for Ultimate I can't see him completely scrapping it.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Zelda's missing the biggest and most popular recurring Zelda character of all time, Tingle :4pacman:
I forgot about him. Ok. we have one more.

Then DK, Animal Crossing, Xenoblades and much others are missing big names too, so we can move on from Fire emblem and try to give some important characters from other franchises some love too.
Added characters are echos. they are cheap. No point in getting mad about them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom