• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I've been looking for the emily kid icarus "leak" but i cant find it anywhere.

not sure if it really happened.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
After Chrom, additions like Medusa as a Palutena echo seem like no brainers. I'm more interested in what Richter-style Echoes we get, where both characters inspire the moveset to the point of making it questionable who the original is.

Elma/Fiora was one I think might work; Fiora has a lot of dual sword arts Elma doesn't and while Fiora doesn't have dual guns she does have dual drones that could replace them.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
After Chrom, additions like Medusa as a Palutena echo seem like no brainers. I'm more interested in what Richter-style Echoes we get, where both characters inspire the moveset to the point of making it questionable who the original is.

Elma/Fiora was one I think might work; Fiora has a lot of dual sword arts Elma doesn't and while Fiora doesn't have dual guns she does have dual drones that could replace them.
This could be interesting, to say the least. I don't know Fiora enogh for saying if she can work, but they took some heavy creative liberties to accommodate Dark Samus, so who knows.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While I lean more to believing we've seen every stage, the thing that makes me question if there's more or not is the renaming of Mute City snes, why rename it if it's the only one?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Ridley and K.Rool weren't added because they were villains. They were added because they were heavily requested characters.
Yeah there both put in because they were heavily requested characters but a big part of their appeal was that Smash Bros lacked villains.

Starry

Smash Rookie
Remember when people called this game a port?

How times have changed...

Eh, some people actually might consider this game still a port due to a severe case of ignorance
I don't know how anyone could call the game a port anymore after seeing now much love and passion has been put into it!

D

Deleted member

Did you guys just forget Fiora was straight up deconfirmed?

pika.thunder25

Smash Rookie
I'm actually playing SMRPG for the first time now, and as a huge Paper Mario fan, I really like it! I can see how much it impaired the PM and M&L series, and I can even see FF6 and FF7 elements too! Of course, I started playing it around now largely to fully understand more about Geno, but I never really thought he'd make it. Needless too say, I think it's plausible now, and he happens to be one of my favorites from the game, so I am so hyped (plus I remember hearing his name thrown around as a kid during Brawl speculation). I'd love to see Dixie confirmed first though.

(Barret could be a Geno echo??? Totally joking abut that; I'd much rather Tifa or Sephiroth as a second FF7 character).

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I've been thinking.. If this thing about gone AT's gettin in as echo fighters.. Elecman or Protoman or whoever was the Megaman AT could be added too, because now we got that Zero guy.

Starry

Smash Rookie
I've been thinking.. If this thing about gone AT's gettin in as echo fighters.. Elecman or Protoman or whoever was the Megaman AT could be added too, because now we got that Zero guy.
Elecman was the Trophy and Protoman is now in Megamans final smash (noooo protooooooooooo why :c)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Did you guys just forget Fiora was straight up deconfirmed?
Because she is in Shulk FS? Well I guess Samus is deconfirmed too then, because she appears in Zero Suit Samus' on top of the ship.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah there both put in because they were heavily requested characters but a big part of their appeal was that Smash Bros lacked villains.
Another reason why they were so popular is because both of their franchises were extremely iconic and fans felt like they deserved more than two characters. Despite only having three games, KI got three characters before both of those franchises.

I'm glad we got Ridley and K. Rool, but I'm actually content with the number of villains we have now. I don't want Sakurai to skim through a list of characters and purposely add random villains just because he's trying to stick to a theme, especially if that villain isn't even highly requested. People are more than okay with KI's three characters, and I doubt Medusa would be an addition that fans would be genuinely excited for.

Because she is in Shulk FS? Well I guess Samus is deconfirmed too then, because she appears in Zero Suit Samus' on top of the ship.
To be fair, Fiora isn't a character in Smash (yet). Seeing her in a FS is a lot more concerning than it is with an already confirmed veteran.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Ridley and K.Rool weren't added because they were villains. They were added because they were heavily requested characters.
Remember that the ballot had a part where you could write the reasons why you think a character should be in Smash.
I can assure you one of the most commons things that were written there in characters like Ridley and K. Rool was "Because Smash bros really needs more villains".

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well, I see where you're coming from, but I think the glaring difference here is that Zamus and Samus are quite literally the same person, whereas Shulk and Fiora are not.

EDIT:
And, ironically, Samus and Dark Samus are not the same person. Go figure.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Fair points. But I wasn’t in any way trying to dismiss their importance to Nintendo. I was only answering a question that I feel wasn’t warranted.

Mostly because people are trying to come up with this logic about who gets included rather than the adorarion the players have for characters.

Their are a lot of naysayers for reasons that are just confusing when it comes to gaming. Sure, those retro characters made Nintendo the money to continue, but they weren’t “relevant” during their debut in smash. That didn’t keep people from adoring them anyways. And that’s all that matters in the end.

Geno, K. Rool, whoever. They don’t need to be the leaders in the gaming world today. They don’t need any huge significance beyond being desired and no one needs to deny the hopes of equally paying players because of the unwritten “laws and regulations of Smash.”

Jumping in and trying to crush the hopes of someone else is not only pointless, it’s kind of demeaning. It feels like so many folks demand we come up with strong logical arguments for our adoration. Adoration is an emotion and people want us to rationalize it? That’s all I was making points about anyways.

And I know you aren’t saying these things. I’m just explaining myself.
Well I can agree with you there. I personally don't believe any character should be barred from Smash Bros. Especially if they offer something really unique. And I have no doubt Geno would be really unique. He's not my first choice, but then again I'm someone (at this point in the Smash series) who would get really excited for a weird and unconventional fighter like Wii Fit Trainer. My girl Barbara, someone who fights with a guitar, is just that. I also hear people bring up Style Savvy and Ayumi Tachibana. All really good unconventional choices. But alas, they are highly unlikely.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
To be fair, Fiora isn't a character in Smash (yet). Seeing her in a FS is a lot more concerning than it is with an already confirmed veteran.
I agree, and I also think that she isn't as likely as if she was not in Shulk's FS, but at the same time she isn't entirely disconfirmed. It seems that there people tend to jump on conclusions a little sooner than usual, first with Captain Toad and now Fiora.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another reason why they were so popular is because both of their franchises were extremely iconic and fans felt like they deserved more than two characters. Despite only having three games, KI got three characters before both of those franchises.

I'm glad we got Ridley and K. Rool, but I'm actually content with the number of villains we have now. I don't want Sakurai to skim through a list of characters and purposely add random villains just because he's trying to stick to a theme, especially if that villain isn't even highly requested. People are more than okay with KI's three characters, and I doubt Medusa would be an addition that fans would be genuinely excited for.

There’s always the possibility of patching her out of the FS and making her DLC, or just making her an echo of say Elma cause Sakurai wanted to be all “**** it”. The man’s unpredictable, you know. Same goes for Kumatora, Proto Man or Bass, though they’re a touch less likely cause their models are relatively static.

Only thing I’d think would truly bar someone would be being an AT or Victory Screen cameo (a la Doc Louis and Chrom in 4). Or if you’re Captain Toad at least, stage cameo.

(Late edit) or if you’re a villain type character, being a stage boss

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Emily rumor or not I'd love Medusa. Even if the whole "Sakurai is adding more villians" is a misnomer, it is neat that we have 12 villian/rival characters currently (my number might be off 1 or 2, especially if you're gunna be a real stickler on what counts as a villian/rival).

This is more than I was expecting and with Skull Kid, Shadow and mayyyybe Medusa, I could easily see us getting more. I hope this adds up to a story more :/

(Edit: oops meant 12. I'm predicting 15 by the end of release, mixed them up).

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Remember when people called this game a port?

How times have changed...

Eh, some people actually might consider this game still a port due to a severe case of ignorance
One of my buddies did and I was sooooo confused.

It's almost like you can use assets from an old game and make a new game out of it

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I don't want Sakurai to skim through a list of characters and purposely add random villains just because he's trying to stick to a theme, especially if that villain isn't even highly requested. People are more than okay with KI's three characters, and I doubt Medusa would be an addition that fans would be genuinely excited for.
Even though Medusa isn't really that requested I still think he'll add her because he already added Chrom to the oversized FE roster and Sakurai Bias. Besides there is really no harm in adding an echo fighter.

D

Deleted member

Medusa taking priority over Andross in the villains list would be political injustice.

disclaimer: I don't believe in villains for the sake of villains

Pakky

Smash Hero
Emily rumor or not I'd love Medusa. Even if the whole "Sakurai is adding more villians" is a misnomer, it is neat that we have 12 villian/rival characters currently (my number might be off 1 or 2, especially if you're gunna be a real stickler on what counts as a villian/rival).

This is more than I was expecting and with Skull Kid, Shadow and mayyyybe Medusa, I could easily see us getting more. I hope this adds up to a story more :/

(Edit: oops meant 12. I'm predicting 15 by the end of release, mixed them up).
what is the rumor ?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Medusa taking priority over Andross in the villains list would be political injustice.

To be fair you can't really make a big head playable. At least Star Fox has Wolf.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even though Medusa isn't really that requested I still think he'll add her because he already added Chrom to the oversized FE roster and Sakurai Bias.
This argument physically hurts me

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeox

Smash Champion

Medusa taking priority over Porky would be political injustice... but I can understand why.
Medusa, like Black Shadow, could be an easy Echo, it wouldn't take too long to make, so they could choose to make easy clone villains rather than original ones

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Even though Medusa isn't top teir requests I would think she's as requested as Dark Samus, who was quoted as being requested by popular demand.

Basically I think the bar for echoes is set much lower because of how easy they are to make so Medusa is definitely popular enough, however Andross probably doesn't have enough demand to be made a unique character (with a unique design for Smash as well).

On the other hand for the sake of Villians/Rivals, Medusa doesn't need to be added because we already have Dark Pit. So even though I want Medusa, I don't think it'll be because Villians.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Medusa taking priority over Andross and Pig Ganon in the villains list would be political injustice.

Fix'd.....

But hey, more villains is cool and I kinda liked Medusa in Uprising so I don't mind her, especially if she's just a harmless echo.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I like Goku, I just don't like the idea of a character not from a video game getting into a series celebrating video games.
If (big IF) he gets in, just look at it as a character "representing" licensed video games. Those are huge and important to video game history.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Just had a thought.
When we say the game has three Links, we mean Link, Young Link, and Toon Link, who are all virtually the same in moveset (Link's changes aside) yet not actually the same person.

When we say the game has three Samuses, two of them share a moveset while the third one is wildly different. Also, Samus and Zamus are the same person, literally, and Damus is not... a person... lol. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never actually played any Metroid games.

So, at what exactly is the line of having too many of the same character?

For instance, Paper Mario would be a third Mario, but only because he's Mario. But moveset-wise, he's likely to be wildly different, like how Zamus is.

This is theoretical, so answering this with "he would never get in" misses the point haha. I'm not trying to make a case for his inclusion.

Just a thought experiment. ( KMDP KMDP lol )

D

Deleted member

To be fair you can't really make a big head playable. At least Star Fox has Wolf.
True, but you can make this playable.

Plus Wolf is more of a rival than a full on villain, while Andross could also serve as the villain team's "brains" in a story mode.
Medusa taking priority over Porky would be political injustice... but I can understand why.
Medusa, like Black Shadow, could be an easy Echo, it wouldn't take too long to make, so they could choose to make easy clone villains rather than original ones
I was half joking.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
When we say the game has three Samuses, two of them share a moveset while the third one is wildly different. Also, Samus and Zamus are the same person, literally, and Damus is not... a person... lol. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never actually played any Metroid games.
You're right, Dark Samus is the result of the Metroid Prime having merged with Samus' Phazon Suit, so in a sense we've actually got a playable Metroid now.

The only way having three Samuses would have been an "issue" was if Ridley wasn't there, as that'd give the image of Metroid literally having nothing else but Samus, Samus and Samus.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm lost right now about how many characters could be left. Sakurai said not to expect "too many new challengers", yet we already got 8, echos are still NEW characters imo, but I don't know if Sakurai counts them or not. Maybe we get like just one or two below the amount of newcomers we got in Smash4 lmao. There's room for a lot of potential easy echos and also a few "highly requested" guys left, so I think some of them are getting the boot again, but let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom