• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Then DK, Animal Crossing, Xenoblades and much others are missing big names too, so we can move on from Fire emblem and try to give some important characters from other franchises some love too.
Why not do both?
Like this game is doing at the moment?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
In light of the recent direct, do you guys think that Elma has a chance at this point?
Was just about to ask this! Absolutely not. I haven't been predicting a Xenoblade character since E3 and this direct solidified that for me. Every newcomer so far has been highly requested, or a third party which is hype as it is (also maybe Castlevania representation as a whole was highly requested? I don't really follow third parties...). Now after King K and Dark Samus, relevancy is thrown out the window so I don't think we will see many characters getting in solely on the fact they had recent games.

And because I legitimately wanna see evidence of it and because I don't believe it, if someone thinks Elma was popularly requested pre 2016 show me. I'm assuming no. Side note, Rex & Pyra dlc is likely.
I don't see why not. I'm not rooting for her or anything, but if people still believe we can get a Pokemon character, Xenoblade should be no different.

That being said, I still think people are brushing off Rex/Pyra too soon. They'll be some tough competition for Elma.
Xenoblade doesn't equal Pokemon. Pokemon is Nintendo's best selling series. It makes much more sense for them to get a character based on a recent game.

If Rex & Pyra can somehow make it into base I think they will over Elma. However dlc seems more likely.
i do think shes still fairly likely. her game had the right timing for being released when the roster was probably being decided, that robot action figure with a gun is probably for some character and they showed "mach rider" as music in the direct so i think its unlikely they'd show the name if that character was who the robot figures gun was for, bill trinen said xenoblade characterS (plural) in an interview and while that really could be absolutely nothing it potentially could have been a slip up so it adds a little bit more to her as i think rex is too new to have been planned for the base roster.

i think other characters have a better shot right now due to more solid leaks and higher fan demand, waddle dee for instance, but i'd still say shes in like the top ten for probable completely new newcomer choices.
Wait are you no longer rooting for Mach Rider??? Aw I liked that about your predictions it was different from everyone's Mech = Xenoblade X.

D

Deleted member

I forgot about him. Ok. we have one more.

Added characters are echos. they are cheap. No point in getting mad about them.
I was half joking. I'd love to have Tingle but with his notorious unpopularity, it's safe to say he won't happen. For now at least...

And yeah, if the muh reps people don't like 7 Fire Emblem characters, flip the echo switch and then 2 of them are merged with their host's slots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of "same character" here's the tallies (same character counts for both literally the same character and clones)

There's three Marios (Mario, Dr. Mario & Green-stache)
Three Links (Young, Toon and Righty)
Three Samuses (Zero Suit, All Suit and Dark)
Three Foxes (Fox, Bird and eyepatch)
Four Marths (Headband Marth, Red Marth, Long Haired Marth and 2nd Chance Marth)
Two Pits
Two Pikachus
Two Psychic Kids
and a Belmont family reunion.

Paper Mario or metal Mario to put Mario back on top?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Add Mario & Luigi as an Ice Climbers style duo from the Mario & Luigi games. That's two Marios for the price of one.
Or Baby Mario and Baby Weegee as they appeared in Partners in time.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Going back to the spirits thought now.

I have convinced myself it is reliving glorious franchise events through a smash lense.

Mario - Mushroom King Melee, but with Very big bowser as the boss.
Zelda - A new map based on Breath of the wild. Ending with Ganondorf Fight
DK - A romp through the jungle with Klap Trap Ats running around and K rool at the end.
Kirby - Fight through Dreamland to defeat Meta-knight and then Dark Matter
Castlevania - Traverse through the castle as Simon to defeat Dracula.
etc. will come up with more later.

Spirits.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I got King K Rool.

Now I really just want BWD.

However as far as 3rd parties go that are already in Smash.

I would think Eggman and Sephy did well in the ballot.

Though Shadow feels inevitable, and Tifa or Black mage or even Chocabo could have beaten Sephiroth

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No point in getting mad about Fire Emblem because it's widely agreed that Chrom was the last major character that people really wanted (well and Lyn but...) from the franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Fire Emblem and Metroid were made "complete" with this last Direct and have all their bases covered. With Ashley disconfirmed, Wario is basically done too because nobody else comes close to being as notable and the franchise has no characters that could pass as an echo or semi clone of Wario.

D

Deleted member

So I got King K Rool.

Now I really just want BWD.

However as far as 3rd parties go that are already in Smash.

I would think Eggman and Sephy did well in the ballot.

Though Shadow feels inevitable, and Tifa or Black mage or even Chocabo could have beaten Sephiroth
I'm just imagining getting Sephiroth, but the music selection for Final Fantasy stays as is.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I asked this a while back, but is anyone else genuinely mad about the way Chrom was handled? Maybe it's because I was already against getting another FE character, but I thought making him an Echo of a semi-clone was an extremely stupid decision. Instead of spreading the clones throughout the unique FE characters, we're stuck with four characters sharing the same vanilla moveset that you could essentially give to any FE character with a sword.

Personally, I would've made Chrom a full Ike Echo. I know the swords are different sizes, but I would've rather seen Sakurai pull a Lucina and misrepresent the size of Chrom's sword than to give us a second Marth semi-clone.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm just imagining getting Sephiroth, but the music selection for Final Fantasy stays as is.
Then I will boycott Square because at that point they are hacks that don't deserve my hard earned dollars.

No "One Winged Angel" Get outta here Square you're drunk.

Oh and no "Forest Maze?" Nope, ever again will I buy anything from you all.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Was just about to ask this! Absolutely not. I haven't been predicting a Xenoblade character since E3 and this direct solidified that for me. Every newcomer so far has been highly requested, or a third party which is hype as it is (also maybe Castlevania representation as a whole was highly requested? I don't really follow third parties...). Now after King K and Dark Samus, relevancy is thrown out the window so I don't think we will see many characters getting in solely on the fact they had recent games.

And because I legitimately wanna see evidence of it and because I don't believe it, if someone thinks Elma was popularly requested pre 2016 show me. I'm assuming no. Side note, Rex & Pyra dlc is likely.

Xenoblade doesn't equal Pokemon. Pokemon is Nintendo's best selling series. It makes much more sense for them to get a character based on a recent game.

If Rex & Pyra can somehow make it into base I think they will over Elma. However dlc seems more likely.

Wait are you no longer rooting for Mach Rider??? Aw I liked that about your predictions it was different from everyone's Mech = Xenoblade X.

i'd like to keep rooting for mach rider. if it happens ill be super excited about it.

but i cant deny that the music was shown in the last direct and i just do not think mach rider would get their music shown off handedly like that if mach was a playable character in the game, im taking it as a deconfirmation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I asked this a while back, but is anyone else genuinely mad about the way Chrom was handled? Maybe it's because I was already against getting another FE character, but I thought making him an Echo of a semi-clone was an extremely stupid decision. Instead of spreading the clones throughout the unique FE characters, we're stuck with four characters sharing the same vanilla moveset that you could essentially give to any FE character with a sword.

Personally, I would've made Chrom a full Ike Echo. I know the swords are different sizes, but I would've rather seen Sakurai pull a Lucina and misrepresent the size of Chrom's sword than to give us a second Marth semi-clone.
No because Chrom being a Roy echo means whenever my asshole friends try to meme on me and pick Roy, I get to assert my dominance by using the character who has the same moves but better

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I really don't think that all picks will be just popular picks. You know why?

Richter Belmont. He wasn't nearly as requested or even considered for an alt. I don't even think he is the most popular Belmont in the series. They have only added him because they took some moves from him for Simon.

Some may say that "he is just an echo, ge diesn't count", but he is still a TP, they had to license him from Konami, which probably meant that he was actually planned from the start. If they could plan non super popular characters then I don't see why they wouldn't do it too with Elma, who is, again, from one of the biggest games in the Wii U era.

Also, in the Direct, they said that "series with music from only one game" will be under the "Others" playslist. You know which series has his own playlist? Xenoblade Chronicles, which most likely means that music from X is in Ultimate. But why they wouldn't have shown anything from it yet? Maybe because they are keeping them for a Elma Reveal trailer, maybe alongside a Mira stage?

It is way too early to say that every single newcomer is going to be a fan favourite, we should at the very least see who will be revealed next, if it is Skull Kid or Elma/Gen VII rep.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
“In gaming in general, a lot of characters fight with swords,” he says gloomily.
I wonder if it's a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement about the "too many swordsmen" problem.

I like to think that he got Falcon Punched so badly that his potential for an original moveset got removed. Never let the Captain do that to you until you're confirmed, folks.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Richter Belmont. He wasn't nearly as requested or even considered for an alt. I don't even think he is the most popular Belmont in the series. They have only added him because they took some moves from him for Simon.

Some may say that "he is just an echo, ge diesn't count", but he is still a TP, they had to license him from Konami, which probably meant that he was actually planned from the start. If they could plan non super popular characters then I don't see why they wouldn't do it too with Elma, who is, again, from one of the biggest games in the Wii U era.

Also, in the Direct, they said that "series with music from only one game" will be under the "Others" playslist. You know which series has his own playlist? Xenoblade Chronicles, which most likely means that music from X is in Ultimate. But why they wouldn't have shown anything from it yet? Maybe because they are keeping them for a Elma Reveal trailer, maybe alongside a Mira stage?

It is way too early to say that every single newcomer is going to be a fan favourite, we should at the very least see who will be revealed next, if it is Skull Kid or Elma/Gen VII rep.
Richter is the most popular Belmont in Japan. I don't think it's too farfetched to suggest he did well in the ballot.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
i'd like to keep rooting for mach rider. if it happens ill be super excited about it.

but i cant deny that the music was shown in the last direct and i just do not think mach rider would get their music shown off handedly like that if mach was a playable character in the game, im taking it as a deconfirmation.
OH! I didn't notice that hm good point :/
Well I wasn't expecting a true retro this game anyway.

I really think that mech could just be for an AT. I still agree with your point that since most FS are cinematic there's no need for a toy to pose for modeling. An AT however could need that. And Sakurai can spend his budget on whatever he wants, Nintendo practically worships him lol.

(Are Miyamoto, Iwata, and Sakurai the Holy Trinity of Nintendo? Can't think of anyone more fitting. Reggie is clearly one of the disciples.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sephiroth's Masamune blade is roughly 9 feet long... Good luck finding a way to balance that. Basically what it would be like. Still curious who is going to wind up being the FF AT because the whole main cast is incredibly iconic. Tifa? Barrett? A goddamn chocobo? Just like the assumed Street Fighter one, they'll probably get a lot of fanfare when they are finally revealed.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Sephiroth's Masamune blade is roughly 9 feet long... Good luck finding a way to balance that. Basically what it would be like. Still curious who is going to wind up being the FF AT because the whole main cast is incredibly iconic. Tifa? Barrett? A goddamn chocobo? Just like the assumed Street Fighter one, they'll probably get a lot of fanfare when they are finally revealed.
Ehergiz man. They did it. Pull the sword out for special moves. Punch for everything else.

D

Deleted member

Sense he was put in just for fan demand, I don't see the issue. I'm not really into FE, but my brother is, and he was really against Chrom being an Ike clone (except for Aether) because if Lucina's style is supposed to be based on her father's it doesn't make sense for Chrom to play wildly different. I'll take him being a Roy clone over another Marth clone if we're trying to be "accurate."

I've heard Richter is "popular in Japan" but like many times people throw that out, I haven't seen a source.

Also devil's advocate here, aside from Game & Watch, which used to be filed under other, the way music is sorted in this game is identical to how it was in other games. Xenoblade had its own section in Smash 4, while Duck Hunt and Ice Climber (in Brawl) did not. Xenoblade having its own music section doesn't directly confirm anything IMO, but even if Elma doesn't get in, I'm expecting some X music.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It may be Cait Sith, who uses his roulette.

Ehergiz man. They did it. Pull the sword out for special moves. Punch for everything else.
Makes sense, though Sakurai generally doesn't rely on crossover appearances in other fighting games (unless said characters are already from fighting games).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No one has mentioned Magenus he’s not a AT as far as I know
Neither him or Phosphora have been confirmed as an Assist yet, but both likely will
Actually, Pokemon has 9 reps if you treat the Pokemon Trainer as 3 fighters in 1 roster slot.
Which is why they are treated as 1 character
Someone believes Emily Rogers claimed we'll get a fourth KI rep.

Until someone actually provides a source, this doesn't exist.
and that’s something I need (Viridi/Medusa/Hades...all good choices)
Even though Medusa isn't really that requested I still think he'll add her because he already added Chrom to the oversized FE roster and Sakurai Bias. Besides there is really no harm in adding an echo fighter.
you need to stop right there...we now have 8 Mario reps (13 if you count the Sub Mario series), 7 Pokemon characters (unless you count the PT characters separately, then 9, 6 Zelda characters (could go up to 7, but who knows) and the DK/Metroid series finally have highly requested characters join the fray...but you still gonna call Daddy Sakurai bias due to 7 Fire Emblem character (Chrom being highly requested to get his day) and the possible 4th KI rep (Medusa may not be as requested as the equally requested Viridi and Hades, but she’s a female villain and someone from the past that can be brought back)

If it makes you feel better, Chrom May be an echo of :ultroy:...but he’s also a carbon coby of :ultike: (with the same pose :ultlucina: does for a taunt, but in the original Chrom way)
Tifa...she looks fine...or the dog(maybe, idk)
No point in getting mad about Fire Emblem because it's widely agreed that Chrom was the last major character that people really wanted (well and Lyn but...) from the franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Fire Emblem and Metroid were made "complete" with this last Direct and have all their bases covered. With Ashley disconfirmed, Wario is basically done too because nobody else comes close to being as notable and the franchise has no characters that could pass as an echo or semi clone of Wario.
I could say Captain Syrup...but that would be ridiculous...also RIP In Peace Lyn
Sense he was put in just for fan demand
Don’t kid yourself fella, we all know why Chrom is in Smash Ultimate...
0960FC16-5ED8-4F42-BFC8-D6E4445BB7B6.jpeg
:ultpalutena::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon::ultfalcon:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, I have a theory about why possible Wario roster upgrading isn't happening yet. Since within Wario Ware itself, just about everyone is of equal importance in terms of focus, I imagine that Sakurai wouldn't put in Ashley until he's figured out movesets for some of the other characters and get those in at the same time, otherwise putting her in before anyone else would seem pretty unfair.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ken is the easy echo but ya'know what bugs me about SF in crossovers as of what 2008ish? Ken varies more than you think he would.

He's not in

MvC 3, Ultimate, and Infinite.
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars.

But he's in SF X Tekken

and more of the older ones like Capcom vs SNK games.

So, Ken would make the most sense from a historical standpoint, but I could see Chun Li.

Projecting but :ultzss: could be used for here because, again we have a weird model change with a particular emphasis on a body part. Mind you one that fits more in line with her as a character, but still its a bit odd, at least to me.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shadow and Viridi/Medusa fate confirmation in October...cause why not that month

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I've seen Brawl mods where Sephiroth's sword literally goes across the whole stage, so broken.
I think the FF assist will be a Chocobo since they've already made a Chocobo mii hat.
For the SF assist it'll probably be Chun-li.

D

Deleted member

I've seen Brawl mods where Sephiroth's sword literally goes across the whole stage, so broken.
The best Sephiroth mod is the one where his grab is stabbing you with his sword and down throw puts enemies on the ground at the perfect grab range. It's completely balanced.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So here's a question, would you rather they release every bit of information today or would you rather they trickle information out slowly, with small bits every day until release?

Personally I'd just take all of it today. It loses hype but I hate not knowing things!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So here's a question, would you rather they release every bit of information today or would you rather they trickle information out slowly, with small bits every day until release?

Personally I'd just take all of it today. It loses hype but I hate not knowing things!
Trickle, because like that we learn more and more while waiting, knowing it all beforehand makes the wait for the game harder imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom