• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Wait, Wolf was hated at some point? I figured a WTF like R.O.B. would be and I've heard all about Corrin but... Wolf? Really?
Well, Wolf was the Starfox entry in Brawl instead of Krystal, who was a very popular request. He wasn't so demanded at all.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Right now there are 73 fighters so if your theory is correct then likely there will be 84 fighters overall. My 4+4 theory would make the roster go to 81 so maybe there is a possibility 5 more Newcomers and 5 Echos or 4 Newcomers and 6 Echos remaining
There are 73 Fighters if you count the Mii Fighters and all 3 PKMN Trainer Pokemon. As Pokemon Trainer doesn't have 3 spots on the CSS, and the Mii Fighters aren't included. The total roster, including K.Rool, on the CSS totals out at currently 68.

We're not done either. That's why I think there will be more, but the roster might only total out to 72, or 84. But even 84 seems like a bit much.

I'm sure that it'll just end in time or reopen characters at the very end. What would happen if you do that before unlocking all characters? Or downloading a single DLC?

It's like the CSS - we want it to work perfectly, but it won't.
These are good questions. My theory though is that it doesn't unlock until you have everybody, similar to All Star. I have nothing to base that on, but I feel it's plausible.

In terms of DLC, considering we don't know what we're getting yet I think it's also plausible that we could get DLC in seasons of 4.

Then again, this would make it seem as if the rest of the game was based on Smashdown, and that sounds silly. At this point I just want to know if Smashdown is only Free for All, or if it's playable with 2 and 3 players as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When is the next direct? any leaker spoke about the next?
A leak mentioned a direct on September 24 that would reveal Heihachi and Lloyd Irving, but nothing else has come of it

At the very least, it has a killswitch.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
A leak mentioned a direct on September 24 that would reveal Heihachi and Lloyd Irving, but nothing else has come of it

At the very least, it has a killswitch.
And that killswitch is Sakurai’s Infinity Gauntlet

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Not calling anyone out, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and everyone is right that just because these are popular newcomers doesn't mean you wanted them, but it just goes to show that no matter what Sakurai does there will always be fans who are, at the very least, less interested in the game/character selection/whatever. But that's anything with a fan base right? Can't make everyone happy.

I'm personally really glad after 4 he is choosing to add missing fan favorites, even if I personally never wanted King K. Rool (now Ridley on the other hand...). And I'm also glad that there's generally been a way more positive reception after this direct. The E3 direct reception felt very...meh? But I think that was mostly because Nintendo overall and not Smash.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well, Wolf was the Starfox entry in Brawl instead of Krystal, who was a very popular request. He wasn't so demanded at all.
So, people got mad that a character way more important to the series he derives from than "I'm just here for sex appeal and a romantic subplot" was easier to create yet also happened to manage to differentiate hinself from Fox more so than Falco while also adding to the number of villains/rivals?

And then these same people got absolutely pissed when he was cut from 4 and actually beat out Krystal for the most popularly requested fighter of that franchise?

How completely ironic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, people got mad that a character way more important to the series he derives from than "I'm just here for sex appeal and a romantic subplot" was easier to create yet also happened to manage to differentiate hinself from Fox more so than Falco while also adding to the number of villains/rivals?

And then these same people got absolutely pissed when he was cut from 4 and actually beat out Krystal for the most popularly requested fighter of that franchise?

How completely ironic.
I'm not going to disagree with you on the other parts but keep that in mind that Brawl didn't introduced any new playable female characters (only Samus with her zero suit), while introducing King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario and Wolf.

People understandably wanted more girls, while thinking we had enough rivals/villains for a while.

THEN, after Smash For gave us a lot of female characters with only Bowser Jr., Koopalings and Dark Pit as bad guy/anti hero department, people returned cheering real hard for them.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This was posted on /v/, so I figured I would pass it on here.

It has a lot of pictures we've already seen, but here's a dump of images!

https://imgur.com/a/HdDfJce

It's not like it reveals anything new, but seeing additional stuff is always good!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So I've been thinking, would it be possible to have 3v3 Squad Strike tournaments?

Ultimate is looking like a 3 stock game, so is there the possibility that we do or see Squad Strike tournaments as a regular thing?

I think it'd be pretty cool to have a type of tournament where, instead of each player choosing one character with three lives, they choose three characters with one life each.

Does anybody else think this sounds interesting? I definitely think it's worth trying out when Ultimate is released.

D

Deleted member

Quick question, I saw some posts last night talking about how Loz18's leaks were apparently debunked or something and now he's chosen to stop talking about stuff. Is that true? Also, has Vergeben been around at all since the Direct, or has he gone quiet too?

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Aight lemme rank newcomers real quick based on my excitement

8. Richter - Didn't know who this was before. He looks pretty cool but I like Simon's design more.
7. Chrom - I have never played FE! He seems nice though and by the looks of how he plays I think he might become my anime sword wielder of choice.
6. Inkling - Inkling is cool but another series I never got into and his character intro was mostly cool because it also revealed the game. I like the design a lot though and she looks like fun to play.
5. Dark Samus - Dark Samus is one of the best looking models in the game and for that reason alone I'm super hype!!
4. Simon - From a series I've never played but I gotta respect the history. Everything about him looks totally awesome and I love his goofy yet rad barbarian swag going on.
3. Daisy - One of my favourite mario characters and a total out of left fielder. Never thought she'd have the chance but here she is!
2. Ridley - Not personally amongmy most wanted but still incredibly hype. The sheer amount of history between him and the smash series is wild and with the fact that he's probably the single most requested character ever how can I not be hyped up about him.
1. K. Rool - I love DKC and I love K. Rool and he is a blessed boy.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Skull Kid? I'm down. Iconic Zelda character who's probably more recognizable to the average Joe at this point than friggin' GANONDORF.

Incineroar? Meh, not a big modern PokeMon guy (it really panders to the yungins these days), but hey, more characters!

I still think Geno is in. Ridley and K.Rool seemed to be high-level secret projects at Nintendo, and even if they leaked, it didn't matter since everyone was already including them in every fake leak out there. Geno is just about the only one left who falls under this category.

All three of them make perfect sense, too. No new stages need to be made for them, either. Skull Kid fits right in on Great Bay, Incineroar has several modern PokeMon stages, and Geno can literally plop right into a Mario stage.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'm not going to disagree with you on the other parts but keep that in mind that Brawl didn't introduced any new playable female characters (only Samus with her zero suit), while introducing King Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario and Wolf.

People understandably wanted more girls, while thinking we had enough rivals/villains for a while.

THEN, after Smash For gave us a lot of female characters with only Bowser Jr., Koopalings and Dark Pit as bad guy/anti hero department, people returned cheering real hard for them.
I'm aware but like, aren't there better females to want?

She isn't really much of an important character and her staff was literally used more by Fox than her.

It's much like the Bowser Jr. and Magic Paintbrush situation

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Quick question, I saw some posts last night talking about how Loz18's leaks were apparently debunked or something and now he's chosen to stop talking about stuff. Is that true? Also, has Vergeben been around at all since the Direct, or has he gone quiet too?
I hear he's going to lay low, but that was after saying Skull Kid might be in

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Jesus christ, Shovel Knight is going to appear in basically everything at this rate and Yacht Club STILL haven't announced a sequel yet?!
Look, Yacht Club, i'm happy for you and all but... just announce a ****ing sequel already!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Jesus christ, Shovel Knight is going to appear in basically everything at this rate and Yacht Club STILL haven't announced a sequel yet?!
Look, Yacht Club, i'm happy for you and all but... just announce a ****ing sequel already!
Well they aren't done with Shovel Knight as King of Cards isn't finished yet, making a sequel without finishing the promised stretchgoals is just a bit scummy *cough*Freedom Planet*cough*
Also they said they're working on something new without Shovel Knight a while ago iirc, it's understandable as they probably want to be more than just "The Shovel Knight guys"

Wambo

Smash Ace
I really wish Shovel Knight belonged to a company that sounded cooler than "Yacht Club Games".

Like, what happened to all the really cool company names like "Konami" and "Namco"? The closest one I can think of is "Mojang", but it's not like they develop anything good anymore.

EDIT: I'm sure they could, but Jeb honestly lacks any sort of imagination.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Skull Kid would be cool, I like his mask.
Incineroar would be hype for me! It was my Sun and Moon starter and I love it's fighting style.
No Isabelle would be sad, I wanted to kill Ridley with a lil' puppy girl.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's been over 48 hours and I'm still reeling.

With Ridley and K. Rool both in, it really feels like the end of an era. Where does Smash speculation go from here? I'm mostly watching from the sidelines now. I don't know what to do with myself. Perhaps many people who weren't invested in K. Rool were already in the same boat post-E3, but now...

The hype is here, but it feels like speculation is already over, in a way.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

With Ridley and K. Rool both in, it really feels like the end of an era. Where does Smash speculation go from here? I'm mostly watching from the sidelines now. I don't know what to do with myself. Perhaps many people who weren't invested in K. Rool were already in the same boat post-E3, but now...

All that's left for me is Banjo. If that happens I think I am also done with speculation lol

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh man, there are some good images in that imgur link

I've decided what my new favorite assist trophy is. Just imagine Skull Kid summoning this.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
What if its Vergeben? And he is trying ti get his revenge on Loz18 so he posted a fake PM in order to get him back

The plot thickens
It would be funny, but the PM is definitely fake. Loz18's privacy settings doesn't show when he reads PMs.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Would anybody here be down for a Bongo Bongo boss fight? Twinrova would be cool, and when you defeat them, they can actually die and banter like they did in Ocarina of Time!

Edit: Well, forget the images.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
On the note of cool things that nobody really talks about (which is another point against Jungle Hijinx returning)...

Didja notice how the stages are much more reactive to various elements this round? Like in that Moon assist above, the whole stage turns red. Or when the background fades to blue for those massive hits, or for some final smashes. Sometimes it even cuts away completely, like when the stages morph.

That's really cool. The stages are even more alive than before as well!

Ivander

Smash Legend
People keep commenting on Skull Kid, Magnus, Phosphora etc not being shown as Assists but they can't work as Echoes of other characters.
I will argue that Magnus can work as an Ike Echo, as for Eruption, they can replace the Fire with the Tornado from the Magnus Club's back attack from Kid Icarus Uprising and you could replace Ike's Up-B with say, Shulk's Up-B and there you go, Magnus.
The only thing that works against that is that we have not seen an Echo using a character from a different series. So far, all of the Echos are part of the same series of the character they are echoing. The only closest comparison would be Captain Falcon and Melee Ganondorf.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace

Well... my speculation goes to AT party now
Isabelle, Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, all of them becoming playable and we will see all AT alredy in late september~early October
November we will have a echo party
and last week before release we will have a History mode

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Would anybody here be down for a Bongo Bongo boss fight? Twinrova would be cool, and when you defeat them, they can actually die and banter like they did in Ocarina of Time!

Edit: Well, forget the images.
Assuming they're gonna pull any Zelda boss at all for Spirits like they did [monster hunter thing guy], I believe it'll be one of these two:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Phantom Ganon makes too much sense in a mode called "Spirits"

Conversely, what if, instead of Petey this time, we get his infamous duo partner, King Boo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom