• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Are we ranking the Newcomers from fave to least fave? I'll bite.

1. King K Rool
2. Chrom
3. Inkling
4. Ridley
5. Daisy
6. Richter
7. Simon
8. Dark Samus

And even though Dark Samus is at the bottom, I still really like her and am really excited to see her join. Her animations look amazing, too.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
K. Rool > Simon = Richter > Ridley > Inkling > Dark Samus = Daisy > Chrom

Chrom so far is my least liked newcomer.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I’m pretty alright with all the characters being old fan favorites rather than whatever new ones are lying around. Smash 4 did basically the opposite, and the idea of going back and adding all of the huge fan requests to the existing roster seems to fit the theme of Ultimate better than advertising whatever the latest Fire Emblem game is doing.

I think Ultimate’s roster is going to be going back and filling the gaps in the roster with frosting rather than trying to add a new layer to the cake, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and Ridley > K. Rool > Simon = Dark Samus > Everyone Else. Besides Dark Samus being an Echo I haven’t been disappointed once by this roster, which is a trip after last time.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
From favorite to least favorite:

1) Ridley
2) K Rool
3) Dark Samus
4) Inkling
5) Richter
6) Simon
7) Chrom
8) Daisy

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think both will be in. there's two rumors that say both will be in. First is the September 24th Direct rumor otherwise known as the Japan Leak. The other is that protonmail leak tehponycorn has in his leak list after the direct which he says has some credibility and it collaborates with the Japan Leak.
For future reference, the word is corroborate, which means to give support to a claim. The two do corroborate each other, but it ultimately remains to be seen. For all we know they could be piggybacking off of each other.

Also, Richter > Simon > Inkling > Chrom > K. Rool > Dark Samus = Daisy

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I think by the time the game comes out we'll have 8 Newcomers and 8 Echoes, which is fine by me.
Yeah that makes the most sense especially since before December there is likely going to be 2 Normal Directs and 1 Smash Direct

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
My list of most excited to least excited:
Ridley, Inkling, K. Rool, Simon, Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy and Richter Belmont.

Why do you think that all the newcomers left will not be from newly represented franchises? This is all based on assumption.
The track list shown in the direct also seems to imply there will be no more additional franchises beyond what we now know.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If we’re ranking our most hype newcomers revealed so far...
1. Ridley/Inkling
2. K Rool
3. Chrom
4. Daisy
5. Dark Samus
6. Simon/Richter
Im looking at the stage selection screen and I notice something at the bottom. Looks like there could be about 6 more stages yet to be revealed, any thoughts?
View attachment 156672
This won’t be the final sss, but there will definitely be more stages than 6

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Are we ranking the Newcomers from fave to least fave? I'll bite.

1. King K Rool
2. Chrom
3. Inkling
4. Ridley
5. Daisy
6. Richter
7. Simon
8. Dark Samus

And even though Dark Samus is at the bottom, I still really like her and am really excited to see her join. Her animations look amazing, too.
1. Chrom - Was one of my most anticipated fighters in Smash 4 and they did him mad dirty so to see him here as playable makes me extremely happy.
2. Simon - One of my most wanted for Ultimate. I got him. Heck yeah.
3. Dark Samus - One of my favorite villains in Metroid and is an echo of one of my favorite characters.
4. Ridley - A LONG overdue newcomer. Great to see him here and I will pick him up.
5. Inkling - An expected newcomer and still really cool to see with one of the more interesting gamestyles.
6. Richter - Completely unexpected and in a really good way. However I don't know much about him to be losing my mind over him. Still good.
7. King K Rool - An overdue newcomer but I don't have any fond memories with him. I was happy to see him but not losing my mind.
8. Daisy - A cool addition but probably the most standard newcomer so far aside from the Inklings. Still good to see here.

None are bad additions.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So a game to play for everyone: Rank the newcomers in order of their appearance of most hyped for to least hyped. I'll start

K Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Dark Samus, Simon, Daisy, Richter, Chrom
This is hard since they're all about equal for me.
But I guess it'd go somewhat like this:
1. Inklings
2. Chrom
3. Richter
4. K. Rool = Simon
5. Ridley
6. Dark Samus
7. Daisy
List goes from most to least BTW.

Couldn't decide on who was more exciting between Simon and K. Rool, so they're tied.

Bear in mind the gaps between these characters' hype levels are not that large. I'm still really excited for DS and Daisy.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Since the cool kids are doing it, I might as well too.

1. Ridley
2. K. Rool
3. Simon/Richter
4. Dark Samus/Chrom
5. Inkling/Daisy

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
K. Rool > Simon = Richter > Ridley > Inkling > Dark Samus = Daisy > Chrom

Chrom so far is my least liked newcomer.
I see that you're a man of culture

So with the 3 vs 3 and 5 vs 5 modes now being around, how would you guys use them? I was thinking about pulling a "Survivor Series" type of match where the team that is left "survives"

Noipoi

Howdy!
Same here.

I'm thinking Zeraora, Rex, Excitebike, and maybe Waddle Dee because he's popular. And then Ninten, Impa, Hilda, and Shadow. Though I must say Dixie is a big request, and Ms. Pac-Man would be a very fitting addition.
I like Zeraora but I think it was made it was made too late for Ultimate, unless they pull a Greninja.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
My list of most excited to least excited:
Ridley, Inkling, K. Rool, Simon, Chrom, Dark Samus, Daisy and Richter Belmont.

The track list shown in the direct also seems to imply there will be no more additional franchises beyond what we now know.
Well obviously they don't want to show off franchises that haven't been revealed yet. If we saw the freaking Golden Sun symbol or a Rhythm Heaven one it'd spoil unrevealed characters or stages. That direct was made with a beta version of the game.

Thats like saying Yoshi won't be in the game because he wasn't in the demo build.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know I love jumping on bandwagons.
  1. Inkling
  2. Simon
  3. Richter
  4. Chrom
  5. Ridley
  6. Dark Samus
  7. Daisy
  8. King K. Rool
All the newcomers in this game are really cool, and I'm very excited for all of them. The only reason K. Rool is so low on this list is because I've yet to play any of the Donkey Kong Country games.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I see that you're a man of culture

So with the 3 vs 3 and 5 vs 5 modes now being around, how would you guys use them? I was thinking about pulling a "Survivor Series" type of match where the team that is left "survives"
Link vs Samus
:ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:vs:ultsamus::ultzss:Dark Samus

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't know if I could rank the characters, so I'll give my thoughts instead.

Inklings - Cool, I like the Inkling's design, but I otherwise don't care about Splatoon (not interested in Shooters except a very small minority (:ultsnake:))
Daisy - Sí... I like how Peach fights, and am interested in how Daisy is different.
Ridley - I'm happy for his fans, he was a long time coming; not a Metroid fan, so I only really know Ridley from Smash itself.
Simon - I'm really looking forward to trying the Belmonts out.
Richter - Memes... memes for days. And I'll love every minute.
Chrom - Chrom sold me on more varied Echoes, so there's that, also more FE, MORE.
Dark Samus - I didn't care until her reveal, now I'm sold.
King K. Rool - King R. Kool; the Dedede fake-out was great. :laugh: I'm not the biggest fan, but the trailer was perfection.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
From most to least hype:

1) King K Rool
2) Chrom
3) Ridley
4) Daisy
5) Dark Samus
6) Simon Belmont
7) Inklings
8) Richter Belmont

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For me, it's

Ridley = K. Rool > Inkling > Simon = Richter = Dark Samus > Chrom > Daisy

Along with Snake returning, Ridley and K. Rool were my most wanted characters for Smash 4 - having all three of those things happen in this game seems unreal.

Inkling was expected, but I enjoyed Splatoon, even if I'm hesitant to try the online.

I haven't been able to get into Castlevania, but I like Simon and Richter's inclusion from a historical perspective, and it's inspiring me to restart Symphony of the Night and try to finish it this time. As for Dark Samus, I've wanted to see more Metroid characters - Ridley satisfied me on that front, but DS is icing on the cake, and it's great to see Metroid get some love after it was nearly neglected in Smash 4.

I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem outside of Awakening and Fates; from that perspective, it seems fitting to have all three of Awakening's main characters in here (though it seems like overkill to have that many representatives for a single game), but seven Fire Emblem characters seems excessive (though it helps that previously neglected franchises have gotten newcomers), as does having four characters that have slight variations on Marth's moveset.

I have no strong opinions one way or the other on Daisy as a character, but a certain member of her fanbase soured me on her inclusion, even if it's as a nearly identical clone. (also, Mario Kart Double Dash does not help)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Strangely enough, even if he's a clone, Chrom is one of the only FE reps I was going to be totally fine with. The FE fighters seem a little overstuffed as is, but Chrom was THIS close to making it before, and was the butt of a lot of jokes in 4, so having him be part of "Everyone is Here!" makes perfect sense in my mind.

D

Deleted member

Incineroar would be better than Lycanroc. That's about it for me.
I'm already way less stressed when it comes to Pokemon newcomers because Mimikyu is dead and I'm generally a lot calmer than I was before, but Decidueye is still the one I'm hoping for the most.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Ultimate's clones, or Echoes, are easily the most similar to their base characters from any game. Be it melee, 64, or Brawl, clones in those past games had ample differences. Unlike ultimate, where they'd might as well be the same as Alph. Which is why I think we can expect at least another 5-7 echoes just because of how damn simple they are to make.

As for my picks, from most wanted to least:

Impa
Shadow
Black Shadow
Dr. Luigi
Dry Bowser
Ninten
Shadow Mewtwo

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Ranking newcomers eh?
In terms of who I want to play
Inkling>Daisy>Dark Samus>Ridley>Simon=Richter>Chrom>K Rool
In terms of which trailers got me hyped
Inkling>K Rool>Ridley>Simon

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So a game to play for everyone: Rank the newcomers in order of their appearance of most hyped for to least hyped. I'll start

K Rool, Ridley, Inklings, Dark Samus, Simon, Daisy, Richter, Chrom
1. Ridley
2. K. Rool
3. Dark Samus
4. Simon
5. Daisy
6. Chrom
7. Richter
8. Inkling

I like all of them in their own way though, which is pretty remarkable. The top 4 are already looking like much more fun than any Smash 4 newcomer ended up being for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I want Incineroar because it's dirty heel wrestler fighting style would be really fun.
And also because it was my starter in Moon and Ultra Moon.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
A hypothesis in relation to "Spirits" and a potential single player mode:
With the initial trailer reveal of Ridley, ZSS was shown in the ending of the trailer having survived the Space Pirate's murder laser. I made note of this because it was such a strange thing to emphasize. As if to say "we can't kill Samus" in this trailer, the same trailer where Mario and Mega Man were supposedly killed. But now, in this last Direct, we were also given two cinematic closing scenes where characters survived. Firstly, Luigi was shown returning to his body, although it is not made clear if he accomplishes this, and later, DK and Diddy charge at K Rool as they escape his Final Smash to close out the cinematic with a clash. So, right now it's looking like so:
Survivors:
ZSS
Belmonts
DK & Diddy

KIA:
Mario
Mega Man
Luigi(?)
DDD(?)

So, with this I bring up the possibility that the characters in these trailers might have been highlighted due to them being tied directly into a "story mode". And less assuredly, that the ones who survived might have a larger role in it. Perhaps a preset hero roster to choose from against villains in a Great Maze-esque mode like DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon pointed out.

The Heroes vs Villains thing has been very evident, and it's clear we're getting something like that one way or another. If the Rathalos fight is part of this single player mode, we saw Fox, Marth, and DeeDeeDee fighting against it. All of these could count as "Hero" characters, even the KIA DDD, who was opted against for Meta Knight in the villain art at the beginning of the K Rool trailer. The Dracula fight could possibly be included as well due to how ambiguous Sakurai was about it, but everything regarding the Castlevania stage wasn't very clear to me.

TL;DR of what I wrote above, I've seen a lot of talk about the emphasis on murdered characters in the trailer, but I think it should be pointed out that there has also been a focus on characters who survived.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Actually now that I think about. Heihachi and Lloyd both being in makes sense now with the Heroes vs Villains theme. Heihachi would be a villain rep for Namco while Lloyd would be the hero rep for them.

Of course there's Ryu too. So maybe Ryu & Lloyd vs Heihachi.

Or maybe Lloyd vs Cloud(he was an antagonist in Dissidia 012).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom