• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
On the other hand ...
Who would you choose for a new retro character? (Like ice climbers)(1st or 2nd Party)
I would choose Mach Rider (He was considered in Melee, and in the end he only appered as a trophy and his song also is there)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s because Sakurai found them at least interesting to add (bar echoes) that people will enjoy.

Just because everything seemed to be about fan service doesn’t mean it’s all fan service. We’re likley to get content from recent stuff as seen by BOTW,

even a playable character in mind.

That’s why they’re very likely. So don’t take a Sun and Moon pokemon out of the water just because it’s ONLY fan service. It’s not, it’s a mix of both. This same thing goes for Xenoblade Chronicles because it’s in a similar position.
I think there's no coincidence to the fact that every character so far was within the top 20 of the polls for both the west and Japan. If there's one pattern that will continue, it's that we'll see more characters that placed high in those show up as either newcomers, echoes, or ATs.

I also don't think Xenoblade is getting any more playable characters. THAT one, I'm willing to bet on.

I think Disney's more on board with Sora in Smash than Square is, although Square seems to have loosened up a bit recently as well.

Obviously Square's saving Tifa for Dead or Alive. Uh, don't quote me if that actually happens.
I honestly don't have a problem with that at all. All would be forgiven if that's the case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn't get around to saying it, but I find it interesting that Sakurai managed to find the time and think of repurposing Kirby's first Final Smash. Pretty timely too, since Chef Kawasaki is a helper in Star Allies now.

I don't want to be that guy, and I don't want to **** all over Chrom's inclusion (I never really minded him getting him in), but...

Fire Emblem now officially has more Smash fighters than the Legend of Zelda
Just so many marths.

You have
Marth
Girl marth
Fire marth
Other boy marth
You forgot:
Red Marth
White Marth
Silver Marth
On the bright side, you can make them take less space on the CSS now.

On the other hand ...
Who would you choose for a new retro character? (Like ice climbers)
I would choose Mach Rider (He was considered in Melee, and in the end he only appered as a trophy and his song also is there)
Star Man, of course!

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
it doesn't look like we are getting more stages... i mean.. 103 was a very specific number, Sakurai couldve said more than 100 stages if he wanted to be more vague.

if no more stages.... then? does it means that we aren't getting new franchise reps? gg isaac, rayman, banjo kazooie, heihachi, rythm heaven rep </3, spring man, sora?

does this means that elma, skull kid, BOTW champion, Incineroar, Bandana dee, and other potential newcomers already franchise chances went up? I still think we are getting 2/3 new newcomers top.
Then how do you explain the 6 empty slots on the SSS? I'm pretty we're gonna get a couple more stages.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't want to be that guy, and I don't want to **** all over Chrom's inclusion (I never really minded him getting him in), but...

Sinful, just sinful.
This isn't new. It had more fighters than The Legend of Zelda in Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS. Also it doesn't matter. Any series having more fighters than another, no matter how big or small it is, does not matter at-all. It means nothing. It effects nothing. And it's 100% just. Because characters should be chosen on their own merits. Not because of an unproductive and arbitrary "standard".

Shroob

Sup?
Ashley getting shown was honestly one of the weirdest things to me from the entire direct, they didn't even give her a blurb like they did for Gray Fox.

The Isabelle+Skull Kid train honestly feels 'very' real right now, especially after seeing Dark Samus get made into a real character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the way things are going i think some of nintendo lesser known franchises have their chances really lowered which is a terrible shame as far as chibi-robo, musashi and springman are concerned

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
On the other hand ...
Depends, do you want a 1st or 3rd party?

1st Party: Mach Rider
3rd Party: Ryu Hayabusa

D

Deleted member

On the other hand ...
Bear and Bird.

N64 is totally retro now. That **** was like over 20 years ago.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh wow. All of them at once?

Why did they even bother using stages in daily updates before?
Same reason they're doing characters we already know about.
Don't think the blog is meant for anything other than talking about stuff we already know, and posting update videos on days we get directs.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Yep. Seven Fire Emblem characters. That's equal to Pokemon. Greater than The Legend of Zelda. Still greater than Donkey Kong and Metroid despite their new characters. Greater than Kirby and Star Fox combined. Only one character away from being equal to Super Mario.

Not to mention, we literally have four variations of the same character now. Marth, Lucina the Marth clone, Roy the Marth semi-clone, and Chrom the Roy clone.

Sakurai had concerns with the oversaturation of Fire Emblem characters before adding in Corrin. Corrin made it in because he'd be used to promote an upcoming title and the devs convinced Sakurai he'd be unique. Yet, here's Chrom. I know Sakurai has went back on his word before, but to do a 180 so soon is quite the curveball.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So now that Simon's in, what big bad boy retro person is next?
I feel like this is obligatory now.
ALL OF MY YES! He's one of my last most wanted 3rd Party Characters. There's very few NEEDED third parties in my opinion and Hayabusa is 100% one of them.

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
Something I've been wondering for a while. Will it be possible to play 8-player Smash with 8 GameCube controllers? I understand the Nintendo Switch only has 3 USB ports and each adapter uses 2. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Something I've been wondering for a while. Will it be possible to play 8-player Smash with 8 GameCube controllers? I understand the Nintendo Switch only has 3 USB ports and each adapter uses 2. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!
I have my doubts, but to be fair, you only need one of the USB plugs for the controllers. The other is for rumble.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If I'm not mistaken, only one of the two USB heads is used to power the controllers. The other is used to power the rumble function. You should be able to use two GameCube Controller Adapters just fine.

Shroob

Sup?
Yep. Seven Fire Emblem characters. That's equal to Pokemon. Greater than The Legend of Zelda. Still greater than Donkey Kong and Metroid despite their new characters. Greater than Kirby and Star Fox combined. Only one character away from being equal to Super Mario.

Not to mention, we literally have four variations of the same character now. Marth, Lucina the Marth clone, Roy the Marth semi-clone, and Chrom the Roy clone.

Sakurai had concerns with the oversaturation of Fire Emblem characters before adding in Corrin. Corrin made it in because he'd be used to promote an upcoming title and the devs convinced Sakurai he'd be unique. Yet, here's Chrom. I know Sakurai has went back on his word before, but to do a 180 so soon is quite the curveball.
Just to be a bit of a stickler.

DK+Metroid combined does indeed equal the amount of FE reps now.

:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultike::ultcorrin::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom:

:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At this point, I'm predicting just five more characters. Two echoes and three unique newcomers.

Isabelle
Incineroar
Skull Kid
Dixie Kong (Diddy echo with DK's Spinning Kong)
Shadow (Sonic echo with Mewtwo's Teleport)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, if you could choose some fighters for a Squad Strike, well, who would you choose?

For me, :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario: for 3v3s, and :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultroy::ultpit: or :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultmarth: for 5v5s.
I have no idea what a "squad strike" is but if its like the whole, "stock battle but every stock is a seperate character" thing then this:

:ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo: for 3v3s if its a themed thing
:ultpichu::ultpalutena::ultfalcon: cause mains
:ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultroy::ultsnake::ultwolf: for a 5v5 the theme being "Glorious Veterans"
:ultpichu::ultpalutena::ultfalcon::ultdaisy::ultroy: cause mains

KMDP

Smash Legend
KMDP KMDP When you did that character support database, did you remember if Richter even had a support thread and how many supporters he had?
Richter didn't have his own support thread, it was assumed that he's be an Alt of Simon if he even got in at all.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ashley getting shown was honestly one of the weirdest things to me from the entire direct, they didn't even give her a blurb like they did for Gray Fox.

The Isabelle+Skull Kid train honestly feels 'very' real right now, especially after seeing Dark Samus get made into a real character.
I'm really doubting Skull Kid if the moon is an assist trophy. Seems like that would have been his Final Smash if he was in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel that even though Dark Samus got the playable treatment, Ashley's fate as a returning Assist Trophy could mean that Skull Kid and Isabelle may still be stuck with the Assist Trophy role as well. And to be honest, I actually want Isabelle to remain an Assist Trophy. As for Skull Kid, I'm mostly indifferent about him, but the one who wore Majora's Mask only appeared in a single mainstream game (and considering what happened to Midna and Ghirahim, it's not exactly a good sign).

Shroob

Sup?
I'm really doubting Skull Kid if the moon is an assist trophy. Seems like that would have been his Final Smash if he was in the game.
Could also be a complete takeover by Majora to be honest.

Also, I don't we should count on "Because it's X, it can't be Y"

Rathalos is both a stage boss, and an Assist Trophy, meaning there can be two Rathalos on screen at once. While not a Final Smash, I don't see why there couldn't be 2 Moons, especially if Skull Kid's Moon did something like, actually descend from above and not the background.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So is it safe to assume we can bury the whole "Relevancy" argument for the most part now?

Because Simon/Richter and K. Rool absolutely don't fall under that. Neither does Ridley, to a lesser extent.

This roster seems almost ENTIRELY ballot based. I'm sure not every character will be, but dang, I am SO confident in Geno right now...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Same reason they're doing characters we already know about.
Don't think the blog is meant for anything other than talking about stuff we already know, and posting update videos on days we get directs.
Nah, I always thought that was the point. It's not like Brawl's buildup, where they could announce a new character any day.

Just seems odd that with four months to go, they'd just say, "Alright, screw it. Here's all 103 stages at once."

Noipoi

Howdy!
These remaining characters are the ones I consider likely in my most personal of opinions.
(From most to least likely)
Incineroar. Isabelle. Bandanna Dee. Elma. Geno. Skull Kid. Shadow.
If these were the rest of our newcomers, how would you feel?

Incineroar would be awesome, I love it's heel wrestler theme. I really hope it gets in.
Isabelle would be adorable, I love dogs (Even though iv'e never had one.)
Bandanna Dee is the Bandanna Boi.
Elma is cool, I suppose. Giant mechs are rad.
Geno's design is awesome, and he would complete the fan request trio. I'd play him a few times.
Skull Kid's design is cool, but that's the extent of how much I care about him.
OW THE EDGE.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So is it safe to assume we can bury the whole "Relevancy" argument for the most part now?

Because Simon/Richter and K. Rool absolutely don't fall under that. Neither does Ridley, to a lesser extent.

This roster seems almost ENTIRELY ballot based. I'm sure not every character will be, but dang, I am SO confident in Geno right now...
Something to consider regarding relevancy though:

Could K. Rool's nostalgia factor sell more DK games? Probably.

Could Simon or Richter do the same for Castlevania? Yeah, I think so.

What does Geno sell more of? Super Mario RPG... 2......?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
These remaining characters are the ones I consider likely in my most personal of opinions.

Incineroar would be awesome, I love it's heel wrestler theme. I really hope it gets in.
Geno's design is awesome, and he would complete the fan request trio. I'd play him a few times.
OW THE EDGE.
In that order:

Okay, cool, cool, I like that, cool, **** YES!!!, cool

Shroob

Sup?
Right now, this is honestly the best time to be a Smash fan.

First it's Inkling, a character who most people saw coming.

Then we get Ridley dropped on us out of nowhere.

And now ****ing King K.Rool.

"Don't expect too many new characters"

"But here's 5 for today, with more on the way."

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I actually wonder which direction the blog will take starting tomorrow. Will it repeat stuff from the Direct despite the stages and items pages being up? Will it start showing old items/assists not yet seen? A mixture of both?

Gonna be interesting to see its development.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What do you think was more disrespect in a trailer?

Ridley ****ing murdering two icons VS Cloud beating the **** out of Ike for copying his Omnislash

D

Deleted member

At this point, I'm predicting just five more characters. Two echoes and three unique newcomers.

Isabelle
Incineroar
Skull Kid
Dixie Kong (Diddy echo with DK's Spinning Kong)
Shadow (Sonic echo with Mewtwo's Teleport)
I'm predicting 6, with some bias:

2 newcomers and 4 Echoes:

Newcomers-
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie

Echoes-
Shadow (Sonic echo - Mewtwo UpB)
Ken (Ryu echo)
Dixie Kong (Diddy echo - DK UpB)
Metal Mario (Doc Echo)

Also, what's the character count at now?

Something to consider, but I think the that the Smashout mode has to work in multiples of 4 in order for all players to be able to play every round. So the final character count might be either 76 or 80, including echoes. What are we at now? Is it 71?

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I will just say one thing
Isaac is still in the game, his chances are slim but he still have a chance
also with Richter being a echo of Simon...
maybe Isaac can appear and have his brother-in-law Felix as a echo?
One can have Judgment/Odyssey as his Final Smash and the other Megiddo?
I CAN STILL DREAM

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something to consider regarding relevancy though:

Could K. Rool's nostalgia factor sell more DK games? Probably.

Could Simon or Richter do the same for Castlevania? Yeah, I think so.

What does Geno sell more of? Super Mario RPG... 2......?
They can always re-release SMRPG on Switch, since the Wii U is dead in the water for that now.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

OW THE EDGE.
  1. I'm 100% down for Incineroar now. He'd be so much fun to watch if he plays anything like a wrestler and Smash still needs more heavies.
  2. Isabelle....it depends on how they make her. I don't want to see a Villager Echo. I like her though and wouldn't mind seeing her at all.
  3. I don't care about Geno. I don't even know if I was born when he was a relevant thing. If he's in at least people will stop bringing him up all the time.
  4. Give us Bandana Dee. He deserves it. I want Marx as DLC.
  5. I don't really want Skull Kid. He's just there for me like Geno. I won't complain or anything like that if they get in but I'm not attached to them by any means.
  6. Oh, yeah and bring on the Edge.
EDIT: Also I wanna say the globe thing is the sickest ****ing thing I have seen in a minute. I'm not happy Mimikyu isn't it but I'm very happy it brought me to this. I'm usually not one to buy tacky stuff that has no use but I HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't usually watch reaction videos but man K.Rool reaction videos are just gold all around. I love it when Sakurai decides to troll his fans like that and this may have been his best one yet. Part of it is that I'm high off hype but I just can't stop laughing whenever I watch that dang trailer.

I never even played any of the original DK trilogy but man am I glad that Kroc is in, especially since it undid all of the disappointment the Simon leak caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom