• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Maybe it's because of the morphing mode? Maybe had problems if people were in the background while the stage morphed into another stage.
Rip the dream, this makes too much sense and rules it out even as DLC

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I'm really hoping for Black Shadow to get in. While I love that Ganon finally is representing his own series now instead of being a clone, I wouldn't want Falcondorf to just vanish, and I think Black Shadow would work perfectly as a replacement.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I wonder if they're gonna update the demo for the next event...

"BUT THEY HAVE NO REASON TO"
But they have no reason not to if they really wanna. The demo IS versioned, you can see it on the demo title screen. So, it's not shocking if they do. It hurts nobody.
I can see them do an
E3 version
Gamescom version
TGS version

That would make three version of the game, at three different point of it's development. Could be a good way to see progress.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
My new forecast (Half and half):
Red = Successful Prediction

Newcomers
  • Inkling
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • King K. Rool
  • Rhythm Heaven (Oct.)
  • Zeraora (Nov 24)
  • Rex (Dec.)
  • Excitebike (Dec.)
Echo Fighters
  • Daisy ε
  • Richter ε
  • Chrom ε
  • Dark Samus ε
  • Hilda ε
  • Impa ε
  • Ninten ε
  • Shadow The Hedgehog ε
Though I would love to see Ms. Pac-Man and Metal Sonic.
We've gotta pray that our Metal boy can make it into Smash one day.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe it's because of the morphing mode? Maybe had problems if people were in the background while the stage morphed into another stage.
Ah yeah, that make sense.

The Great Cave Offensive says hello :laugh:

Maybe some of them are still just in the polishing/not ready to 100% commit to them being in stage?
Ugh thanks, I was having such a nice time forgetting that stage was a thing. :p

D

Deleted member

Credit to Reddit user..... Redditisjustawful.

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.
Makes a lot of sense why most of those aren't back. Really only one I want back is Pokefloats.

Also, that list is missing Metal Cavern. Which I also want back.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
If we did get an F-zero villain rep who would it be, Black Shadow or Deathborn?

Black Shadow is more iconic, but Deathborn is the actual main villain in F-zero GX.

EDIT: turns out Deathborn debuted in GX (the only F-zero game i've played), So Black Shadow is the better villain candidate since he's been around longer.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Something weird I found on the How To Smash page is that there's a blank spot... is that related to Spirits or something else???

D

Deleted member

Here are some cool facts about thew newcomers in the direct.

• Simon and Richter are the first pair of original character and clone introduced in the same game since Marth and Roy in Melee.
  • Dark Samus and King K. Rool are the second and third characters created by western developers respectively. The first is Diddy Kong.
  • Dark Samus is the second character to become playable after being an assist trophy. The first was Little Mac.
  • Chrom is the first and only character that was previously a part of another character's moveset.
  • Chrom is the first echo fighter to be based on a semi clone, being Roy.
  • Of the characters revealed, Dark Samus and Chrom are the only ones who debuted after the year 2000. Chrom is the only character to debut after the year 2010.
  • This direct revealed two villain newcomers. A first for the franchise.
  • Dark Samus is our first female villain (if you count her as female, I do).
  • Dark Samus is the only echo fighter based on a character who is part of the original twelve.
  • As of now, the final total number of antagonists are 11 (Dark Samus, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Bowser Jr., Ridley and King K. Rool)
Did you see any facts that you found interesting?
Dark Samus isn't female though, lol. It's literally a bunch of Phazon that took sentience and took over Samus' Phazon Suit.

For it to be female, you'd have to imply that it reproduces sexually, it clearly doesn't.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we did get an F-zero villain rep who would it be, Black Shadow or Deathborn?

Black Shadow is more iconic, but Deathborn is the actual main villain in F-zero GX.

EDIT: turns out Deathborn debuted in GX (the only F-zero game iv'e played), So Black Shadow is the better villain candidate since he's been around longer.
Deathborn could be an Echo fighter of him, if anything.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Dark Samus isn't female though, lol. It's literally a bunch of Phazon that took sentience and took over Samus' Phazon Suit.

For it to be female, you'd have to imply that it reproduces sexually, it clearly doesn't.
Steven Universe's gems don't reproduce sexually, but they appear female and we call them female.
---
Name of K. Rool's trailer is "The Rivals"

Later on, we'll get a Tails trailer called "The Friends"

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm really curious about trophies. Mew is returning, so it's a safe bet they'll be in the game one way or another, but I wonder why they haven't been touched on yet.

Is it so Sakurai will have something else to talk about down the road, or will they have a bigger role?

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
So... anybody wanna predict when the next Smash info dump is coming? I'm personally hoping they announce a character at Gamescom or something.
I'd love that, but I can't see them doing another significant direct or news dump that soon unfortunately. I think the next we'll get will be in mid/late September or October.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Fool, Dark Samus is the first transgender fighter on the roster after all these years.

More about this spirit mode Loz18 Mentioned?
He didn't outright say it... but he did say there was a mode which will be your main way of unlocking fighters... I assume that this is it.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
There's still 4 months to the game being released, and the amount of content already revealed, from stages, music, modes and characters is mind boggling, and more is likely to come between now and December. I literally have no idea how Sakarai-san and his team are pulling it off with so much being done, but they are and they deserve a ton of credit for all that they've done throughout the series including Ultimate. The attention to detail is incredible. Dracula's Castle looks gorgeous, the stained glass, chandeliers, candles and carpets, just spectacular. Really, when Nintendo named this iteration of Smash "Ultimate" they weren't kidding. This is as close to a perfect present to a series marking its 20th anniversary next year.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm really hoping for Black Shadow to get in. While I love that Ganon finally is representing his own series now instead of being a clone, I wouldn't want Falcondorf to just vanish, and I think Black Shadow would work perfectly as a replacement.
Please cease you're making me too hopeful.
Honestly Black Shadow is still the top of my list, Hayabusa's a close second now that Simon being actually in brings new content to the table. Speaking of Simon: Richter got included as an Echo immediately. That begs the question, is there a reason why Octolings from Splatoon haven't gotten the same treatment? I argued that it probably was too much for a such a new inclusion until the Castleboys showed up

D

Deleted member

Steven Universe's gems don't reproduce sexually, but they appear female and we call them female.
---
Name of K. Rool's trailer is "The Rivals"

Later on, we'll get a Tails trailer called "The Friends"
Steven Universe isn't very good. Idk why that's being cited as a credible source of nomenclature for fictional characters. Dark Samus was never specified as female, and Metroid is hard Sci-fi. You see it reproducing asexually multiple times thought the Prime series, meaning, it CAN'T be female.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Okay so after the time has set in and everything's sizzled.

Does Chrom look off to anyone? To me, the guy looks like he just got woken up in the middle of the night and got told "dude you gotta go to smash now". I really want to see him get polished, because a lot of things set me off that I can't describe properly. He just doesn't look completely finished.

Totally, the Exalt Brand on his arm looks like a weak tattoo. I also wish they'd make him a bit more expressive since he's such a lovable dork in Awakening/Warriors/etc.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'd love that, but I can't see them doing another significant direct or news dump that soon unfortunately. I think the next we'll get will be in mid/late September or October.
I think the way these directs are being spaced out is that one month is news, then wait a month, and then another month. It is the pattern as of now... which means we may get to see at least 1 other fighter announced or 4 if the website is to believed (which it's not).

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
On the website we can see Classic Mode and Training, but no sign of Stadium modes (Homerun is my favorite mode)

I'm scared and I hope they will just announce them later

KMDP

Smash Legend
Steven Universe isn't very good. Idk why that's being cited as a credible source of nomenclature for fictional characters. Dark Samus was never specified as female, and Metroid is hard Sci-fi. You see it reproducing asexually multiple times thought the Prime series, meaning, it CAN'T be female.
"Steven Universe isn't very good."

How is that relevant to my point exactly?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shadow, Ken, and Skull Kid i guess fit the rival angle
Shadow and Ken most definitely do. Also, I think the "rival" bit might be a translation thing. I'd have to watch the *** trailer to read what it says there. It might be more of a general "antagonist" thing, you catch my drift? Like 向こう。Which basically means "opposition" "opposite party" etc.... Anyone got a link?

Also, the Links already have Ganondorf to fit that bill.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
DS is completely genderless, I think. Which is something you don't see often in a fighting game, if ever.
If they end up giving Dark Samus she/her pronouns then it means that DS is. The same thing happened with Mettaton in Undertale, so that's how I treat these things. Don't blame me, blame Toby Fox.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Nintendo uses female pronouns for Dark Samus in her trophy descriptions in Brawl and Smash 4. So, if Nintendo says she’s female, that’s that, regardless of her biology.

D

Deleted member

You wanna say that to my face?
Steven Universe isn't very good.

"Steven Universe isn't very good."

How is that relevant to my point exactly?
Because inconsistent fiction isn't the end all be all in determining how to place fictional characters?

If they end up giving Dark Samus she/her pronouns then it means that DS is. The same thing happened with Mettaton in Undertale, so that's how I treat these things. Don't blame me, blame Toby Fox.
I think we should just drop this topic. I came here to talk about Smash, not to jump into a debate on gender-identity politics. If you guys wanna call Dark Samus "she" then go right ahead, but canonically, it's always been "it." As it's not even human, its just Phazon that took sentience after Samus killed the Metroid Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom