• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
competitively speaking chrome will MUCH more than a chance. if he's roy without the dumb mechanic his future is probably pretty bright. chrome inclusion is something im not going to bash but a blue-haired falchion user with marth's moves is not something i really wanted to see. regardless he's here and he will be picked both online and in tournament play.

with the belmonts, whichever one is faster will probably be preferred.
cant really say how good belmont will be until i see its application. kinda like menat was in sfv when she first showed up.

I'm having some optimism on stage morphing being used. its honestly too interesting to just ignore.
'fs from bars will not be competitive normal play.if they were just like dk,link, mario, or deedee it would be okbut some are just too much: bayonetta, samus, inkling, pit. dont think these moves will see consideration. but in casual play you bet i'll have them on.

the other interesting thought i had was im sure sakurai has wanted to do ditto for YEARS but hardware limitations stopped it. also rip to the fallen assist trophies

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe they thought the background part of Jungle Hijinx would be a bit of a strain in handheld mode.

Unfortunate. I liked that stage.

D

Deleted member

I mean, if we're discussing 'villains'

While Pokemon aren't necessarily evil by nature, Incineroar is a pretty good candidate for what one would consider a villain.

He's both a Dark type(Evil in Japan), and he's based off of a heel wrestler, someone who does **** like throw dirt in the eyes of his opponent to stagger them.
Let's just make N a playable character. I'm sure that would work great.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Watch the trailer again. He specifically states they're weaker versions of the moves. Meaning it's likely any instakill ones are gone. They've also all been rebalanced as well. It's clear Sakurai revamped FSs with this in mind. And we do know how the meter fills. Watch the trailer. It fills only when you get hit. How quickly, not so sure, but it doesn't seem too different from super in other fighting games.

Also, all FSs don't have to be identical in power for them to be balanced, it's clear some will be stronger than others, and some easier to dodge, and others hard to judge. But it can make certain possible lower tier characters more viable if their FS is particularly strong, and vice versa. I don't see the point of tossing the baby out with the bathwater, and just completely deciding not to give them a chance before we have the game in our hands. It's more than evident that Sakurai wants people to play with these more, and he even went out of his way to make them more competitively viable. Rebalancing all of them, and removing the RNG factor.

I will be super pissed the community decides they don't wanna play with FS if they are fair and viable, just cause they're so used to playing the game without them. This is the way I and many people have been wanting FS since forever, and at their current state, they don't seem any more crazy than Mac's KO Punch, or Cloud's Limit Breaks. If those two are in the game, there's not much of a reason to get pissy over Final Smashes. The reason previously was the RNG factor. That's gone now. And other fighting games do Super Moves just fine, some even having instakills.
Except in that same mode we saw Marth Final Smash kill Lucas at like 40?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Okay so after the time has set in and everything's sizzled.

Does Chrom look off to anyone? To me, the guy looks like he just got woken up in the middle of the night and got told "dude you gotta go to smash now". I really want to see him get polished, because a lot of things set me off that I can't describe properly. He just doesn't look completely finished.

Glad i wasn't the only one who thought this. Then again. There is an easy answer.

The games just not finished yet. they'll fix all this stuff later.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Man, I really hope my theory of the Morgans appearing in the Robins Final Smash is real.

Now that Chrom is finally his own man, that leaves Robin's FS spot open for rent.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, if we're discussing 'villains'

While Pokemon aren't necessarily evil by nature, Incineroar is a pretty good candidate for what one would consider a villain.

He's both a Dark type(Evil in Japan), and he's based off of a heel wrestler, someone who does **** like throw dirt in the eyes of his opponent to stagger them.
I want Incineroar because of the move set potential. We have villains in Smash, but do we have dirty fighters in Smash?
Spitting in someone's eyes, below the belt shots, general mean-spirited behavior. a character desperate to win by any low, dirty, evil means possible.
That sounds awesome to me.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Maybe they thought the background part of Jungle Hijinx would be a bit of a strain in handheld mode.

Maybe it's because of the morphing mode? Maybe had problems if people were in the background while the stage morphed into another stage.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
competitively speaking chrome will MUCH more than a chance. if he's roy without the dumb mechanic his future is probably pretty bright.

cant really say how good belmont will be until i see its application. kinda like menat was in sfv when she first showed up.
From what footage I've seen, it looks like Richter is faster/dps and Simon is slower/stronger. I think it depends on the matchup, I feel like Simon would edge out just because of the sheer range of Vampire Killer. I was never really much of a Simon supporter, but I agree he would make for an interesting character based on the whip alone. The whip having full control range ala SCIV can really damage campers. I have really high expectations for the duo since they have a lot going for them.

Chrom has a lot going for him actually, his aether is way faster than Ike's which I think is great for recovery. We'll have to wait and see how he turns out.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I can't for ProZD to make a follow-up to this now that Chrom is ACTUALLY playable.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think part of the problem is that it sounds like you hate too strongly and too often.

I mean, sure, dislike things, but hate shouldn't be used for things like video games. Just shrug the annoying stuff off and enjoy all the good stuff!
Not the first time I've been told that. I've always had a 'hateful' outlook, even in my childhood.

It's something I've been doing my best to work on, but it isn't easy. One thing is all it takes for me to snap.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
competitively speaking chrome will MUCH more than a chance. if he's roy without the dumb mechanic his future is probably pretty bright.

I never even thought of this, If Chrom is Roy without the sweet spot(Much like how Lucina is compared to Marth), he may turn out to be my favorite fighter in this game!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that this will be all of the stages. There's six empty slots near the bottom of the SSS.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
With all this villain talk there's a bit of hope within me for The Black Knight becoming playable as an Ike echo. Maybe he could even have his secret identity as an alt costume. Castle Siege isn't a problem either as he could always leave standing there menacingly to Alfonzo. And just imagine all the salt he'd receive for being our third Fire Emblem echo!

But alas, I'm probably just dreaming.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So now that Simon's in, what big bad boy retro person is next?
I feel like this is obligatory now.

I think it's a reference to Dark Matter from Kirby
>completely different series being put on a completely different stage
boi you trippin tinfoil
It's Kid Dracula, it has the same pose and you can make out his little kid fist in the shadow. It's literally ripped from the one promo image I don't have atm.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

boi you trippin tinfoil
It's Kid Dracula, it has the same pose and you can make out his little kid fist in the shadow. It's literally ripped from the one promo image I don't have atm.
Tbh if Ryu got in before Kasumi from DOA I would be slightly annoyed (for petty reasons tho)

Shroob

Sup?

boi you trippin tinfoil
Well I imagine Ken almost feels like a guarantee if Richter gets in.

But yeah Ryu Hyabusa is pretty much the only 3rd party NES character I can think of left.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

The Great Cave Offensive says hello :laugh:

Maybe some of them are still just in the polishing/not ready to 100% commit to them being in stage?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You see what WE NOT GOING TO DO is just sit here and act like Sakurai isn't THE MOST MASSIVE troll game developer ever with that K. Rool trailer with Dedede LMAO at DK fans like " U THOUGHT". I luv these nice touches.
The best part about it is, Sakurai voices Dedede. So not only is he modest enough to let DDD job, he essentially let K. Rool rough him up. :p

Also, it's funny that two of the character debuts that had me the most excited happen to be kings, and both of them put into the same trailer, no less!

I want Incineroar because of the move set potential. We have villains in Smash, but do we have dirty fighters in Smash?
Spitting in someone's eyes, below the belt shots, general mean-spirited behavior. a character desperate to win by any low, dirty, evil means possible.
That sounds awesome to me.
After The Amazon, no one else would truly fit that aide from Incineroar himself.

I'm quite sure it's kid Dracula. The silhouettes look exactly the same.
Assuming we don't get a "Daroach seen from above!" case.

Tbh if Ryu got in before Kasumi from DOA I would be slightly annoyed (for petty reasons tho)
I'd be fine with Ryu and Ayane debuting at the same time, tbh. Ayane can stealthily represent both series this way.

But yeah Ryu Hyabusa is pretty much the only 3rd party NES character I can think of left.
Except for Bomberman, but well, you know. RIP, Master Higgins.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I never even thought of this, If Chrom is Roy without the sweet spot(Much like how Lucina is compared to Marth), he may turn out to be my favorite fighter in this game!
Thing is, Chrom seems to be more than just Roy with Ike's recovery. He also seems to have Marth's F-Smash as his F-tilt, as well as some variation of Ike's Up-Smash. Chrom feels like somewhat of an amalgamation character, but he's considered a Roy Echo because he takes the most from Roy.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really understand how Orbital Gate Assault could have been axed. Didn't they spend a year working on it?

Is it possible that the stage might have been axed because they couldn't get it to work in 8-player mode? It is a pretty busy stage....maybe that combined with eight Ice Climbers tipped it into the realm of unplayable.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Someone on Kotaku is trying to argue with me that Marth and Ike play basically the exact same.

I can't. I don't even. What.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Edited:
I deleted this prediction list because I just want to be excited for what comes next and not worry about being right or wrong.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Credit to Reddit user..... Redditisjustawful.

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.
I'm going to sorely miss Sector Z, Orbital Gate Assault, and Poke Floats.

The only stages I don't care much for are the Flat Zone stages since we have Flat Zone X, Pictochat since we have Pictochat 2, and Miiverse.

It would've been nice to see the rest return, though.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman

Credit to Reddit user..... Redditisjustawful.

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.
the flat zones are combined to make X, why are they here?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

There's always Hayabusa's "rival", Strider from Capcom. Mech-ninja isn't really playable yet, and Raiden from Metal Gear hasn't shown face.

Also you'd have two Ryus in the same vain that there were two Roys, but at least one Roy was DLC planned after the fact.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wonder if they're gonna update the demo for the next event...

"BUT THEY HAVE NO REASON TO"
But they have no reason not to if they really wanna. The demo IS versioned, you can see it on the demo title screen. So, it's not shocking if they do. It hurts nobody.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't really understand how Orbital Gate Assault could have been axed. Didn't they spend a year working on it?

Is it possible that the stage might have been axed because they couldn't get it to work in 8-player mode? It is a pretty busy stage....maybe that combined with eight Ice Climbers tipped it into the realm of unplayable.
it either doesnt work with morph or 8 player. i'd lean towards eight player. no other stage has as much activity on it as OGA

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
So... anybody wanna predict when the next Smash info dump is coming? I'm personally hoping they announce a character at Gamescom or something.

D

Deleted member

Marth's FS kills earlier than KO punch, and is a full screen move built to catch landings. KO punch is a move tied to a meter that can be taken away or out camped, not to mention his entire charater is balanced around that gimmick. It is a bad idea to give everyone win buttons because then the game becomes a camp fest to abuse your win button.

Either you don't play the game competitively, or you don't see how over centralizing these moves would be at high level. If final smashes get turned on, you might as well flip items back on too.
Or maybe I'm telling you you're jumping to conclusions while the game is still in development. If there are legit issues with FSs once the game is out, then fair game. But right now, being so negative about the idea of trying that out is flat out narrowminded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom