• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

But if that's the case, then why are the Duck Hunt and Wii Fit themes in the "Other" section?

Both those series have a corresponding Fighter and Stage.
For Wii Fit, I have no clue, but for Duck Hunt (and Ice Climber), it's because they aren't a series of games, and are just based from one game.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Here are some cool facts about thew newcomers in the direct.

• Simon and Richter are the first pair of original character and clone introduced in the same game since Marth and Roy in Melee.
  • Dark Samus and King K. Rool are the second and third characters created by western developers respectively. The first is Diddy Kong.
  • Dark Samus is the second character to become playable after being an assist trophy. The first was Little Mac.
  • Chrom is the first and only character that was previously a part of another character's moveset.
  • Chrom is the first echo fighter to be based on a semi clone, being Roy.
  • Of the characters revealed, Dark Samus and Chrom are the only ones who debuted after the year 2000. Chrom is the only character to debut after the year 2010.
  • This direct revealed two villain newcomers. A first for the franchise.
  • Dark Samus is our first female villain (if you count her as female, I do).
  • Dark Samus is the only echo fighter based on a character who is part of the original twelve.
  • As of now, the final total number of antagonists are 11 (Dark Samus, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Bowser Jr., Ridley and King K. Rool)
Did you see any facts that you found interesting?
I think i've said this before, but King K.Rool's scales are actually sculpted into his model, meaning that his scales are have actual vectors, giving his skin a more realistic looking feel to him unlike his previous incarnations.

Shroob

Sup?

Credit to Reddit user..... Redditisjustawful.

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On a different note, I feel like the chances a for a Monster Hunter fighter just got shot down dramatically. If they were going to reveal a Monster Hunter as a fighter, they probably would have saved showing off the stage and Rathos for that. That said, the monsters are the real stars of that game, so this is probably the better way to represent that franchise anyway. And it's not like there were that many people clamoring for a playable Monster Hunter, it was just a thought that was dropped from time to time.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
It sounds like you're trying to take something completely subjective and make it something entirely objective. You can't treat every pro or con as if they all have exactly equal weight, nor can you really assign a number to it. Now I'm not saying a pros and cons list can't be a useful tool in decided you you're going to decide to spend money or not, but you probably shouldn't treat it as the end-all be-all.
A valid criticism. This is how I tend to weigh my purchases in general, not specifically towards this game. By making a black-and-white Pros and Cons list, it allows me to see the good in something rather than just the bad. Helps me get over the aspects I absolutely hate and focus a bit more on the positive. I wouldn't quite call the pros and cons the end-all be-all, as there are a few other factors that go into things.

Unless these cons bother you THAT much (which is a little hard to buy), the pros shouldn't be counters to cons, they should be reasons to buy the game in its own right.

I just think this attitude will suck the fun out of everything.
There are some things that I dislike, but can live with, but there are other glaring issues I have with the game that I feel very strongly about. Making a 'Pros' list is the only way I can get myself to see past them. Yes, the pros are reasons to buy the game in its own right, but it gets hard to see them when they get overshadowed by things you absolutely hate.

And you're not wrong. My mindset does tend to suck the fun out of things. Its something I'm working on.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Man, we really aren't missing that many stages, and outside of the meme ones, I really don't miss any of these to be frank.
I'm gonna miss Mute City, Poke Floats, Rainbow Road, Wooly World, Jungle Hijinx and Orbital Gate Assault.

D

Deleted member

IMO, only PictoChat (I prefer PictoChat to PictoChat 2), Rainbow Road, PAC-MAZE, and Poke Floats are losses. I can live without them though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There are some things that I dislike, but can live with, but there are other glaring issues I have with the game that I feel very strongly about. Making a 'Pros' list is the only way I can get myself to see past them. Yes, the pros are reasons to buy the game in its own right, but it gets hard to see them when they get overshadowed by things you absolutely hate.

And you're not wrong. My mindset does tend to suck the fun out of things. Its something I'm working on.
I think part of the problem is that it sounds like you hate too strongly and too often.

I mean, sure, dislike things, but hate shouldn't be used for things like video games. Just shrug the annoying stuff off and enjoy all the good stuff!

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Here are some cool facts about thew newcomers in the direct.

• Simon and Richter are the first pair of original character and clone introduced in the same game since Marth and Roy in Melee.
  • Dark Samus and King K. Rool are the second and third characters created by western developers respectively. The first is Diddy Kong.
  • Dark Samus is the second character to become playable after being an assist trophy. The first was Little Mac.
  • Chrom is the first and only character that was previously a part of another character's moveset.
  • Chrom is the first echo fighter to be based on a semi clone, being Roy.
  • Of the characters revealed, Dark Samus and Chrom are the only ones who debuted after the year 2000. Chrom is the only character to debut after the year 2010.
  • This direct revealed two villain newcomers. A first for the franchise.
  • Dark Samus is our first female villain (if you count her as female, I do).
  • Dark Samus is the only echo fighter based on a character who is part of the original twelve.
  • As of now, the final total number of antagonists are 11 (Dark Samus, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, King Dedede, Wolf, Bowser Jr., Ridley and King K. Rool)
Did you see any facts that you found interesting?
As of this Direct, the only set of newcomers to not have an Echo Fighter is Smash 4.
64: Dark Samus
Melee: Daisy, Chrom, Lucina
Brawl: Dark Pit
Smash 4: N/A
Ultimate: Richter Belmont

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

The funny thing is that 3DS Mute City is called Mute City SNES...

So Sakurai basically lied to us about the Stage count since there's no reason to do that

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Believe it or not, one supposed leak guessed some correct aspects of the Direct today.

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/426953893
Super Smash Bros. Direct will reveal Simon Belmont. Menu will be shown off.
Long code that leads to this inbox
1533699707431.png
Of course, the claim is incomplete, and took place after the Bloody Tears leak and loz18's leak, so both were relatively easy claims. However, I believe that we ought to watch out for this one just in case.

Of course, it's likely fake, but at the very least congrats anon, because you managed to get your first go around somewhat right.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
EDIT: someone beat me to it. Ignore this post.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

Would be really shocked if the remaining Wii U stages (aside from Miiverse and Pyrosphere) don't make it in.

Would be a shame to say goodbye to Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze, I hope they at least get successors!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As of this Direct, the only set of newcomers to not have an Echo Fighter is Smash 4.
64: Dark Samus
Melee: Daisy, Chrom, Lucina
Brawl: Dark Pit
Smash 4: N/A
Ultimate: Richter Belmont
Glass Joe as a Little Mac echo please. He has no power meter, and his ground game is made to be about as good as Mac's air game.

The funny thing is that 3DS Mute City is called Mute City SNES...
So Melee Mute City is still possible?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
loz18 from GameFAQs:
Well, I got to be very careful with what I post because some of you are very smart and can figure out how is it that I have information.

Mmmm....a while back, don’t remember which thread, I posted that Heroes vs. Villains was a theme that was coming up constantly during my search for information. I also posted that scripts were a strong indication of why that was. There are going to be more cinematic scenes for sure but what I don’t know is if those scenes are part of the new mode yet to be revealed or just trailers per se.

The fact that Rathalos and Dracula were fought during the trailer with no on screen displays says a lot.

This is one of the PM. You can contact the person if you feel like it.

“Well, the stuff I leaked was told to me but I brushed it off until I confirmed it by myself. I did play the demo before the reveal myself. There’s interesting information that can be obtained by looking at the backgrounds of the fighters and art on the official Smash Bros. site.

For now I do know two things for a fact. Newcomers are yet to be revealed and Nintendo is using these newcomers as a way to promote other games in their respective franchises. Who they are I really don’t know as of today, but we can pretty much look into the future of Switch games in the next 6-12 months to see what the biggest titles will be and take an educated guess on who they are.

Definitely King K. Rool from Donkey Kong and Majora’s Skull Kid. That being tied to the Heroes vs. Villains theme that it seems to be implied in some text i came across. Besides that, we’ll see...

Sent to: kratosandzelos on 6/15/2018 7:47:20 AM
This message was first read on 6/15/2018 7:53:07 AM”

Keep in mind the part in quotations is allegedly from June.
Wait, are you implying that the Heroes vs Villains theme MIGHT be something actually truth, even if it's not the dumb riddler leak we saw? Or perhaps the Riddler Leak from a long time ago might be truth mixed with lies?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

I didn't realize Mute City wasn't there, that one really makes me think. It seems like such a weird stage to not bring back, it's kind of iconic and on top of that, the retro Mute City stage is specifically named "Mute City SNES" on the website, which has me thinking they're not done revealing stages and that's insane.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Glass Joe as a Little Mac echo please. He has no power meter, and his ground game is made to be about as good as Mac's air game.
Don't forget the parts where he hurts himself like Pichu and where he's the first character to be lighter than Jigglypuff!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But if that's the case, then why are the Duck Hunt and Wii Fit themes in the "Other" section?

Both those series have a corresponding Fighter and Stage.
I don't know about Duck Hunt, but Wii Fit has its own section.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.36.37 PM.png

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Okay so after the time has set in and everything's sizzled.

Does Chrom look off to anyone? To me, the guy looks like he just got woken up in the middle of the night and got told "dude you gotta go to smash now". I really want to see him get polished, because a lot of things set me off that I can't describe properly. He just doesn't look completely finished.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262

Does Chrom look off to anyone? To me, the guy looks like he just got woken up in the middle of the night and got told "dude you gotta go to smash now". I really want to see him get polished, because a lot of things set me off that I can't describe properly. He just doesn't look completely finished.

That's probably because he isn't finished. They'll update the graphics before the official release just like with Smash Wii U.

Shroob

Sup?

He never thought he'd get his chance today.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Wait, are you implying that the Heroes vs Villains theme MIGHT be something actually truth, even if it's not the dumb riddler leak we saw? Or perhaps the Riddler Leak from a long time ago might be truth mixed with lies?
I think if that is the case, we'll see a lot more villian newcomers instead of rego newcomers. Maybe not for everybody, but I'm certain that veterans will get their villains... and Captain Falcon will finally have somebody else who's from F-Zero (who is hopefully deathborn)

D

Deleted member

I think Chrom looks really good in my opinion.
Is that just me?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So, this has been asked before, but now that we have Ridley AND K,Rool, who the **** is the "OMG SAKURAI GIMME X"?
Well, mine has always been Isaac.

Banjo & Kazooie being my second picks.

If both of them got in I wouldn't know what to do with myself, it would be like my childhood getting a big hug from Sakurai. :p

Noipoi

Howdy!

Chrom is still pissed at being snubbed for Smash 4. No he will NOT get over it!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We only have 3 new villains. One of them is an echo.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I kind of want Little Mac to have Sandman as an Echo who puts opponents to sleep with his counter move or something like that

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm gonna miss Mute City, Poke Floats, Rainbow Road, Wooly World, Jungle Hijinx and Orbital Gate Assault.
Hazardless Jungle Hijnxs would've been my jam. But I guess they had to make room for Mario Bros and Hanenbow...

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I'd say we have to wait and see once the game is out before making any judgements. Also, Mac's KO punch kills at stupid low levels as well, and is harder to dodge than Marth's FS, and Cloud gets an insta-kill at 60%. Seriously, if someone has a FS, literally bait it out and punish it. You know perfectly well when it's active.
Marth's FS kills earlier than KO punch, and is a full screen move built to catch landings. KO punch is a move tied to a meter that can be taken away or out camped, not to mention his entire charater is balanced around that gimmick. It is a bad idea to give everyone win buttons because then the game becomes a camp fest to abuse your win button.

Either you don't play the game competitively, or you don't see how over centralizing these moves would be at high level. If final smashes get turned on, you might as well flip items back on too.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, if we're discussing 'villains'

While Pokemon aren't necessarily evil by nature, Incineroar is a pretty good candidate for what one would consider a villain.

He's both a Dark type(Evil in Japan), and he's based off of a heel wrestler, someone who does **** like throw dirt in the eyes of his opponent to stagger them.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Ashley and Chrom were asked to pull sticks to see who would be a character and Chrom pulled the larger stick... sadly he realized too late that it was about Echo fighters... He's still not over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom