• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Ok, so Simon isn't a Halloween reveal, there's apparently a new mode called Spirits, AND they took my Fatal Frame reveal trailer idea almost exactly just swapping out Mio for Simon?

Guys, FF Rep is happening. please don't jump on this as unrealistic, it's not a serious prediction. Just a hope haha

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So, at this point, who even is a safe guess anymore?

To be honest, now with Dark Samus and Chrom, I feel VERY strongly about Isabelle and Shadow.

With Richter being shown off, Ken almost seems like a given.

And then we have the Gen7 'mon which is most likely happening now(Rip Mimikyu).
This is getting interesting. Each direct I've had a character I think is a lock but I'm relatively neutral toward, and a character that has little to no chance but I really want. And then I get surprised every time when the 'lock' ends up an assist and the no-chancer gets in.

I can't say who else is possible. Tails would be fun, as would Skull Kid. Possibly also Spring Man. But I could live without any or all of them - they would be cool though.

There is now only one character I desperately want... And now that there's another dragon in the game......... WE NEED A DRAGONSLAYER!!!

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
I don't think All Star mode is coming back. It wasn't shown off, it's not on the site, and TBH it was already becoming unwieldy in Smash 4 even pre-DLC. There's just too many characters to make it work now.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Hehehe the official Model of Rool looks awfully similar to the Mii costume

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
So it seems they're going to go all out with the echo fighters to bolster the roster. Who's most likely to get in as echoes?

Shadow (Sonic)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Mrs. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Ken (Ryu)

Any others?

Zeox

Smash Champion
So it seems they're going to go all out with the echo fighters to bolster the roster. Who's most likely to get in as echoes?

Shadow (Sonic)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
Mrs. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Ken (Ryu)

Any others?
I really, really don't see dixie as an echo, specially because her most famous ability is being able to fly with her ponytail.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Verg said it was fake.
I would too if someone ousted me like that :wario:

I don't think All Star mode is coming back. It wasn't shown off, it's not on the site, and TBH it was already becoming unwieldy in Smash 4 even pre-DLC. There's just too many characters to make it work now.
I don't think a mode not being shown off and not being on the site disconfirms anything. Not like they showed off Spirits whatever that single player mode is

D

Deleted member

That's my point. They ripped off her bandaid, but not anybody else's.
That's a pretty good point. Plus, a lot of the newcomers in this game so far had Mii costumes back on 3DS/Wii U...

Y'know...I'm starting to believe that old theory that the Mii costumes were inspired by the ballot. I'm not gonna go full conspiracy theorist and say that all the Wii U Mii costumes are hints at what we're getting (Ashley unfortunately is proof that that isn't the case) but I will say it's certainly interesting.

Honestly, I think a lot is riding on Isabelle's confirmation. If she gets confirmed, that's gonna add a LOT to certain theories floating around out there about the old Mii costumes. Time will tell, I suppose.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
loz18 from GameFAQs:
Well, I got to be very careful with what I post because some of you are very smart and can figure out how is it that I have information.

Mmmm....a while back, don’t remember which thread, I posted that Heroes vs. Villains was a theme that was coming up constantly during my search for information. I also posted that scripts were a strong indication of why that was. There are going to be more cinematic scenes for sure but what I don’t know is if those scenes are part of the new mode yet to be revealed or just trailers per se.

The fact that Rathalos and Dracula were fought during the trailer with no on screen displays says a lot.

This is one of the PM. You can contact the person if you feel like it.

“Well, the stuff I leaked was told to me but I brushed it off until I confirmed it by myself. I did play the demo before the reveal myself. There’s interesting information that can be obtained by looking at the backgrounds of the fighters and art on the official Smash Bros. site.

For now I do know two things for a fact. Newcomers are yet to be revealed and Nintendo is using these newcomers as a way to promote other games in their respective franchises. Who they are I really don’t know as of today, but we can pretty much look into the future of Switch games in the next 6-12 months to see what the biggest titles will be and take an educated guess on who they are.

Definitely King K. Rool from Donkey Kong and Majora’s Skull Kid. That being tied to the Heroes vs. Villains theme that it seems to be implied in some text i came across. Besides that, we’ll see...

Sent to: kratosandzelos on 6/15/2018 7:47:20 AM
This message was first read on 6/15/2018 7:53:07 AM”

Keep in mind the part in quotations is allegedly from June.

D

Deleted member

Hold up, pause, rewind. Balance?? So you want Bayo to get free kills with a witch time and a guaranteed kill after a certain percent; or Martha confirming his 1 hit kill move with a jab??? Unless they seriously need some of these smashes; I see people quickly realizing that Final Smashes are still bad/cheesy not to mention we do not now how quickly the meter fills. We can obviously test this.
Watch the trailer again. He specifically states they're weaker versions of the moves. Meaning it's likely any instakill ones are gone. They've also all been rebalanced as well. It's clear Sakurai revamped FSs with this in mind. And we do know how the meter fills. Watch the trailer. It fills only when you get hit. How quickly, not so sure, but it doesn't seem too different from super in other fighting games.

Also, all FSs don't have to be identical in power for them to be balanced, it's clear some will be stronger than others, and some easier to dodge, and others hard to judge. But it can make certain possible lower tier characters more viable if their FS is particularly strong, and vice versa. I don't see the point of tossing the baby out with the bathwater, and just completely deciding not to give them a chance before we have the game in our hands. It's more than evident that Sakurai wants people to play with these more, and he even went out of his way to make them more competitively viable. Rebalancing all of them, and removing the RNG factor.

I will be super pissed the community decides they don't wanna play with FS if they are fair and viable, just cause they're so used to playing the game without them. This is the way I and many people have been wanting FS since forever, and at their current state, they don't seem any more crazy than Mac's KO Punch, or Cloud's Limit Breaks. If those two are in the game, there's not much of a reason to get pissy over Final Smashes. The reason previously was the RNG factor. That's gone now. And other fighting games do Super Moves just fine, some even having instakills.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Shadow (Sonic)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
Mrs. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Ken (Ryu)

Any others?
Black Shadow I feel stands a better chance knowing characters can take inspiration fron two fighters now. He could echo Ganondorf but with Falcon's smash attacks...basically he would echo Falcondorf lol.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Looks like I gotta eat my words. A while back I said that I didn't think that there would be multiple characters from the same 3rd party series. Unique or echo. I was wrong.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So, this has been asked before, but now that we have Ridley AND K,Rool, who the **** is the "OMG SAKURAI GIMME X"?
Geno is now bumped up to that level. Sakurai has mentioned that he would love to have Geno in the game. So I'm expecting him to be the final newcomer to be revealed before leaks come out with the game

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I really, really don't see dixie as an echo, specially because her most famous ability is being able to fly with her ponytail.
She could be given Dk's up b, and it would be like her pony tail copter. We saw with Chrom that they can borrow from more than one character.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wow.

I was teaching this morning and simply couldn't get the Direct to come through on the crappy 3G connection. I quickly hurried to the nearby coffee shop to watch it, despite knowing we got Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool. What a morning!

We also got a few disconfirmations (unfortunately), which Mimikyu and Ashley biting the bullet. They will not be playable in this particular Smash game.

I'm still in a trance of disbelief right now based on all the information we've received. Not to mention, we're going to know every single character in the base game prior to release, and there's still that mystery mode.

With the Rathalos doubling as a boss and assist trophy, and Dracula appearing on what appear to be a completely different version of Dracula's Castle, we're either getting an incredible detailed adventure mode, or some sort of Subspace mode. I can't help but feel it's a mix, because the file size of the game simply wouldn't be able to store a Subspace like Brawl did, afaik.

Sakurai mentioned there's a total of 103 stages in the game. Based on the image of the stage select screen, every known stage is there. I can't help but believe that those final 6 spots will eventually be filled in as that's a very suspicious looking gap. That could be by surprise additions later on, or through DLC. Either way, I'm going to say that will all eventually be filled up for a nice, completely filled stage select screen.

With the confirmation of slight differences between Dark Samus and Samus, I am completely onboard with considering Shadow a potential Echo Fighter. I think it actually makes complete sense considering he has now survived E3, and another look at Assist Trophies.

Speaking of Assist Trophies, we now have a whopping 40ish. If there's over 50, we're almost there.

I'll be throwing together a Roster Maker chart of who I think has a shot, and who I think doesn't. I'm sure some people might be salty, and I apologize, but I think certain characters got shrek'd, even from not appearing in this Direct.
Wait so we’re not getting secret characters?

Well that’s reassuring, I’m happy I don’t have to wait until December to find out about even the possible retro/WTF characters (A reveal would definitely be best for a WTF, since we can get shocked reactions of it).

Untouch

Smash Master
I actually think a MH character (just a hunter or a palico) has an honest shot. They never gave Rathalos a nametag on reveal so we never saw if there was an icon or not, so they may be trying to hide something. That stage may not be considered a MH stage either (it looks like Verdant Hills in the middle though), it's not on the site.

Last edited:

gloop898

Smash Cadet
Shadow as an echo of Sonic is looking more and more likely. I honestly fully expect him at this point.

Skull Kid's assist trophy still being absent is also suspicious.
Majora's Mask 3D released in 2015, and people have been saying that the project plan was completed in 2015 as well. So he'd definitely be relevant at the time. The Young Link character video has music based on Majora's Mask and the Moon as an assist trophy both show that they are at least thinking about that game.
Not to mention there does seem to be an almost strange amount of villains being put in, which seems to make the 'Heros vs Villians' idea more likely. Plus with all the extra 'love' given to the Zelda characters this time around, I wouldn't be surprised if we finally got a new Zelda character.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, the thing we learned today that 'Echo' fighters can at least have 1 Special Move different(Chrom has Aether).

That just honestly leads me to believe that Dixie is gonna be Diddy's echo with DK's Up+B.

There's really no reason they'd get rid of attacks involving Diddy's tail otherwise, and we've seen now that Echoes can have Specials from other fighters.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I actually think a MH character (just a hunter or a palico) has an honest shot. They never gave Rathalos a nametag on reveal so we never saw if there was an icon or not.
I doubt it, if that was the case they wouldn't show Rathalos, they would first show the Monster Hunter character and then show Rathalos, just to generate more surprise.

D

Deleted member

loz18 from GameFAQs:
Well, I got to be very careful with what I post because some of you are very smart and can figure out how is it that I have information.

Mmmm....a while back, don’t remember which thread, I posted that Heroes vs. Villains was a theme that was coming up constantly during my search for information. I also posted that scripts were a strong indication of why that was. There are going to be more cinematic scenes for sure but what I don’t know is if those scenes are part of the new mode yet to be revealed or just trailers per se.

The fact that Rathalos and Dracula were fought during the trailer with no on screen displays says a lot.

This is one of the PM. You can contact the person if you feel like it.

“Well, the stuff I leaked was told to me but I brushed it off until I confirmed it by myself. I did play the demo before the reveal myself. There’s interesting information that can be obtained by looking at the backgrounds of the fighters and art on the official Smash Bros. site.

For now I do know two things for a fact. Newcomers are yet to be revealed and Nintendo is using these newcomers as a way to promote other games in their respective franchises. Who they are I really don’t know as of today, but we can pretty much look into the future of Switch games in the next 6-12 months to see what the biggest titles will be and take an educated guess on who they are.

Definitely King K. Rool from Donkey Kong and Majora’s Skull Kid. That being tied to the Heroes vs. Villains theme that it seems to be implied in some text i came across. Besides that, we’ll see...

Sent to: kratosandzelos on 6/15/2018 7:47:20 AM
This message was first read on 6/15/2018 7:53:07 AM”

Keep in mind the part in quotations is allegedly from June.
I don't quite fully understand how he draws Skull Kid from the future 6-12 months of the Switch line up. There's no Zelda game announced to release any time soon iirc.

In fact, only Switch games coming up to my knowledge are SMTV, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon... Am I missing something?

On the flip side, that would mean we'd be getting a new DKCR, and it would likely feature K.Rool, but that seemed pretty likely regardless with him getting into Smash. It'd be the best way to close off the trilogy too.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Imagine if some of the remaining newcomers were characters that were planned to be in previous entries but didn't make it.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ok, so apparently the whole "Heroes vs. Villains" thing is shaping up to be true with stuff like Ridley and K. Rool's trailer. The only one of the OG 8 to not have a rival/villain is Yoshi. Zinith Zinith I think Boshi actually stands a chance.

D

Deleted member

So, this has been asked before, but now that we have Ridley AND K,Rool, who the **** is the "OMG SAKURAI GIMME X"?
As others are saying, probably Geno. Dixie support will probably go up as well thanks to K. Rool finally making it in. Shadow is also starting to get a ton of support thanks to this Direct showing that Echos will have a sizable presence on the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 269706

So in the direct, it's said that there's 103 stages in the game, but looking at the stage screen, that means there's only 3-4 new stages? Anyone else feel like that just aint gonna be the case?

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so apparently the whole "Heroes vs. Villains" thing is shaping up to be true with stuff like Ridley and K. Rool's trailer. The only one of the OG 8 to not have a rival/villain is Yoshi. Zinith Zinith I think Boshi actually stands a chance.
For Boshi to stand a chance Geno would likely have to be playable which is fine by me!

Shroob

Sup?
One thing I like is now we can shut up the "But Dixie wouldn't use a jetpack!" argument.

'Cause Chrom uses Aether for his recovery.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
1533758726724.png

Looks like they pulled some actual models and textures from Donkey Kong 64. See my signature video for reference. (God bless Donkey Kong 64.)

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Boss shadow in Castlevania stage with cartoon boots. What is this? Not from series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom