• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So...

Anybody find Ashley's appearance in the trailer a bit odd?

Like, Grey Fox got a call out since he was a cut AT that came back, but other than him, no other returning AT was confirmed during that AT montage, and even then, she really just popped in at the end with no fanfare.

Kind of leads me to believe she was snuck in because of the support she was getting online, to nip it in the bud. Which kind of has the opposite effect on me, because now it makes me more suspicious of other yet-to-be-confirmed ATs.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Gonna be really strange if we don't get a xenoblade newcomer in the base roster though.
I don't really think so.

I mean, with Chrom's, Dark Samus', Ridley's, Simon's, and most importantly, King K. Rool's inclusion, it really seems like popularity is the key factor to getting in this time around, trumping relevancy.

Elma doesn't really have that wide spread popularity, especially considering the roster had been planned in 2015, and while Rex & Pyra might have it now, they probably came just a smidge too late to make the base game roster.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
You see what WE NOT GOING TO DO is just sit here and act like Sakurai isn't THE MOST MASSIVE troll game developer ever with that K. Rool trailer with Dedede LMAO at DK fans like " U THOUGHT". I luv these nice touches.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Uh...what cons could you possibly have?
18 Cons, currently. Same number of substantial pros.

I even went back and revised the lists, and they both dropped from 21 each to 18 each. I'd list them, but I'd just end up being attacked for my opinions.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So...

Like, Grey Fox got a call out since he was a cut AT that came back, but other than him, no other returning AT was confirmed during that AT montage, and even then, she really just popped in at the end with no fanfare.

Kind of leads me to believe she was snuck in because of the support she was getting online, to nip it in the bud. Which kind of has the opposite effect on me, because now it makes me more suspicious of other yet-to-be-confirmed ATs.
I think it was to rip off the bandaid sooner cause she does the same thing as 4

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smashdown mode is gonna be so fun. I'm absolutely stealing someone's main so they don't get to use them.
I'm glad original classic mode is back too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Loz18(A notable person with inside info) had this to say

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883130#qp

Thoughts on potential leak? It is vague but he DOES have inside info so this might be worth taking into consideration.
I don't belive it. Skull Kid's Final Smash is already an Assist Tropy.

I think the remaining newcomers will all be 3rd party, as they seem to be going all out. I do think there will only be 2 of them though.

*fingers crossed for Banjo."

#triggered

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Ashley got hit too? Wow. I clicked off the video a tad early so I never saw that ending.

Well today has been.....an experience. :laugh:

I legit have no other character to root for at this point. I'm kinda miffed, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Dude, she's not getting in. This doesn't mean anything, it's over. The dream is dead.
Reread my post, lol. I'm saying it makes me more suspicious of the other missing ATs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fwiw loz18 says he doesn't know for sure, but finds Incineroar unlikely and disbelieves the claim.

Who is Guile? That is JohnKnight's theme. :p
Ah yes of course, JohnKnight, the impending Captain Falcon echo. :p

So...

LIKE ISAAC

Who probably isn't happening but will never get nipped in the bud because how can you develop a heart condition that way.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
One of my favorite moments of the direct was when the Lady was getting ready to go on a nice stroll, she plugs her earbuds into her switch and tucks it away nicely into her purse. And the ****ing LUIGI'S MANSION theme starts playing. That was such a random and odd choice for lovely walking music. I actually laughed out loud.
This direct had a lot of incredibly funny moments. The Moon was my favorite.

If the online is good I'm going to challenge every one of you to a fight thanks
I'll take you on!
I have so many characters to play and try.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
18 Cons, currently. Same number of substantial pros.

I even went back and revised the lists, and they both dropped from 21 each to 18 each. I'd list them, but I'd just end up being attacked for my opinions.
18?

I can't list like a single legit con for myself

This game can't get anymore perfect than it already is...

Yet somehow I feel like it defnitely can and will!

D

Deleted member

reminder that since chrom is using moves from other fighters that means shadow can take mewtwo teleport for chaos control

Its happening boys

"b-but 3rd party characters wont have e-echoes!!!!"
Shadow now has Chaos Control for UpB like Mewtwo, but with a different sound effect, and his running animation is different to Sonic.

Ken can now have a couple different normals, and different FS.

Dixie Kong can now have DK's Up B instead of the Jetpack, and can grab people with her hair. And a different Dash attack.

Metal Mario's Side B can now be like K.Rools counter, and it just a reflect with super armor. (He'd be an Echo of Doc), his fire balls are Iron Balls, and go straight down almost, good for edge guarding. Outside of that, he's near identical to Doc, except way heavier, heaviest in the game. And reallllyyyy sloooowww. Also, bring back Metal Cavern.

Hankstorm

Smash Rookie
That's actually a pretty good point, that they mentioned the specific number of stages (which without counting I presume falls in line with what's on the website) really makes it seem like that's all of them. That we got to see the My Music screen with the franchise icons also lends to this theory, with all stages being unlocked from the start there's really no reason why any franchises would be missing.

It's a kick in the teeth for the likes of Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun who are yet again left out, but a small boost to potential newcomers of existing franchises, if only because it's less competition.
After counting, there are 103 stages listed on the website. However, a stage that was shown that is not on that list on the website was that Monster Hunter stage that was shown off with Rathalos as the boss. They could potentially have a few more that they are not showing

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So...

It seems like they deconfirmed her without going out of their way to. Which did come across as a bit strange, as I thought she has somewhat decent chances to get in.

Right now, Skull Kid and Isabelle are looking particularly likely. Shadow too, now that Richter Belmont is in as a clone fighter. What strikes me as odd is that Sakurai said he was hoping we weren't expecting too many newcomers, yet we've had a total of seven thus far.

Maybe since Echo characters are allowed to have at least one move and a Final Smash be different from their base characters, as well as their animations, we'll see the same with characters like Isabelle and Shadow. I'd say Dixie Kong, but I feel like she would've been revealed alongside King K. Rool like how Richter was with Simon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
He could actually become Majora

Fufufu, I challenge you, help me test my new main. ;)
This direct had a lot of incredibly funny moments. The Moon was my favorite.

I'll take you on!
I have so many characters to play and try.
It'd be fun to have a little Ultimate Discussion Thread league.

D

Deleted member

After counting, there are 103 stages listed on the website. However, a stage that was shown that is not on that list on the website was that Monster Hunter stage that was shown off with Rathalos as the boss. They could potentially have a few more that they are not showing
There's more stages coming. Look at the trailer, they need 6 more to fill out the screen, and the way they're ordered seems to suggest there's more on the way. Hopefully we can get Pokefloats.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We don't really know what that was though, it wasn't introduced as a stage, and considering it's the grounds of a boss battle (notably not called a stage boss, like with Smash 4) it might just be for that.

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
In the trailer we see Kirby fighting Meta Knight
Meta knight is not a villain, he has never been evil.
In Super Star, Meta Knight terrorized and sought to take over Dream Land in the Halberd. Hence Kirby and Dyna Blade trying to stop him

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I don't think K.Rool or Ganondorf are just rivals.
That is a good point. Much more focused on villains. Weird that the K. Rool trailer is titled "Rivals" then. Good point, though!

Actually, they show the original franchises from Smash 64, if they just wanted to show all the rivals, they would also show Pit against Dark pit.
Shadow is pretty much confirmed (easy echo + castlevania now have 2 reps when sonic have much more story with nintendo)
Yeah, just the originals. I was just noting that if the "Heroes vs. Villains" type thing is true, and that the DK trailer is entitled "Rivals," that maybe this game is focusing on that aspect of the characters more. Especially with bosses being a thing, now. I assume that most of the story will have these boss battles, while some characters will be the "rival/villain" for the other fighters.

Honestly, was just going right off the trailer and thinking how Shadow feels more likely and could fit the theme easier than Eggman since he could be an Echo(easier to implement).

D

Deleted member

It'd be fun to have a little Ultimate Discussion Thread league.
The best part about it is we'll be able to see how many people actually play the game. I'd love to play you all, but Nintendo's going to have to convince me that their online service is worth paying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom