• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe if Geno gets in, his music falls under Mario instead of Final Fantasy? Also, they did manage to license a MII COSTUME of Geno before and had him appear in of the Superstar Saga games.

Ubisoft has been buddy buddy with Nintendo to the point of multiple franchise crossovers, and Rayman being in Smash as a trophy has come up before. Disregarding Japanese relevance issues(?), maybe they'll throw Rayman a bone this time around.
Even if Crash is a more relevant icon right nowCOUGH*COUGH
Something to note: We have now three fighters created outside of Japan: Diddy Kong, Dark Samus and King K.Rool, all of them from Rare.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, now that the big two reptiles are in, who is the next most requested character (that currently isn't an AT)?

How would y'all feel about this roster? I included also three seasons of DLC characters, a la SFV and Tekken 7:

View attachment 156343
- Impa (Sheik Echo)
- Other newcomers after today (all unique): Bandana Dee, Elma, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, Buzzwole
- DLC season 1 ("Switch Stars"): Twintelle, Rex & Pyra, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Addam & Mythra (Rex & Pyra Echo, represented by Mythra cause I didn't have an icon for both of them)
- DLC Season 2 ("Third Party Blowout"): Neku (Square Enix rep 2), Shadow (Sonic echo, Sega rep 3), Lloyd Irving (Bandai Namco rep 2), Dante (Capcom rep 3)
- DLC Season 3 ("Girl Power"): Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong semi-echo), Shantae (indie rep), Fiora (notes on her later), Lip (can interchange with any other female rep of your choice, like Ayumi Tachibana or Linkle)

Notes on Fiora: yes, I'm aware she's in Shulk's final smash. BUT! Something about the MonHun AT during the direct struck a chord. "The first character in history" to be both a stage hazard and assist trophy. Why not Fiora be both in Shulk's final smash and playable? After all, regular Samus is in Zero Suit's new FS. That, or Fiora can just be patched out of Shulk's FS, assuming she's not also in his victory screen.

Also, sorry that icon's so blurry. Can't find a clearer icon of her PXZ2 render :(

Honorable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Geno, Joker/Ren Amamiya, Phoenix Wright, Rayman. I considered them but I couldn't really imagine them translating to Smash so easily
I'd be fine with it, since my gal Shantae's in those choices. Although I would question how Buzzwole of all things could be balanced.

Something to note: We have now three fighters created outside of Japan: Diddy Kong, Dark Samus and King K.Rool, all of them from Rare.
Actually, to correct you, two of those are from Rare, DS is by Retro Studios (but still Western nonetheless).

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Once the hype from the direct dies down (in like a few days probably) I hope someone does a close look at any leaks that could potentially be alive besides Vergeben's, this probably eliminated 99% of them.

Only the Toby leaker and the Dante leaker seem to be hanging on right now, with the Toby leaker saying he didn't know Richter but was confident in everyone else, and the Dante leaker coming very close moveset wise where I'd argue they probably just got some details from someone and they got the finals smash wrong (who knows.. definitely less likely of the two I've found that are still living leaks)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I have a feeling considering Verge hasn't gotten a SINGLE echo. He doesn't know about Echos in his info. He knows about unique newcomers.

So if Isabelle is in? She's unique. Not an echo.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Interesting that skull kid doesn't appear in the moon assist trophy

anyways

Shadow is 100% confirmed and i got Richter Belmont

B A S E D S A K U R A I

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The way they talked about stages made me believe they've revealed all of them, which leads me to believe their won't be anymore characters from new franchises, because they wouldn't have a home stage, and I doubt they would do that.

Kind of sucks, because I was really hoping for a Rhythm Heaven character and stage.
Following that logic, though, means that ROB won't get a stage, which means a character can be from a franchise without a stage, so no fighter is really out on that account.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The way they talked about stages made me believe they've revealed all of them, which leads me to believe their won't be anymore characters from new franchises, because they wouldn't have a home stage, and I doubt they would do that.

Kind of sucks, because I was really hoping for a Rhythm Heaven character and stage.
Not exactly. Some characters are homeless: Dr. Mario and ROB spring to mind. K. Rool didn't even come with his Gangplank Galleon either, which was a surprise for me.

You could probably feasibly add some Capcom series' tracks onto the Monster Hunter stage. Why, look at this bad boy right here:

Let me dream, ok? He's all I have left alongside ranked online with matchmaking.

D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate's Final Destination looks by far the best.
Thirty-six Street Fighter tracks though. You know what that means.

Guile theme.

And the best part is you can pick that song on any stage. :troll:
If Guile's Theme is in, I would cry in joy. That is an amazing theme.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
*Dark Samus from Retro, American studio?
So yeah, between this, getting a second third party franchise's character and a reptile king that hasn't been seen in a decade, supposed rules for fighter inclusions are getting dismissed left and right!

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I really don't want to start any arguments or anything, but I'm curious what aspect of his design is offputting. I personally find him having floating limbs to be pretty cool and unique, it goes well with him being very light in his games. Plus that hoodie of his is pretty neat. I'm surprised you're hating on him rather than say, the Rabbids, which are literally just ugly cartoon rabbit-like creatures that are just loud, have the IQ of a banana, and are incredibly annoying (the main Rabbids from Kingdom Battle are an exception).
I couldn't precisely say... If I had to guess it would be his face but it is probably the totum that I personally find hideous and unlikeable. But as I always say, it is just my (unpatriotic, as I am French just like Rayman) opinions.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Alright, time to talk about characters that got higher chances and lower, first the obvious:

Shadow chances go up:
Castlevania got 2 reps, one of them an echo, it would be obvious that, Sonic, being the rival of Mario and a very classic franchise, would get a new character, and now that echoes are a popular thing, it would be obvious to get him, I would rather have Tails, but he is a little smaller and with the double tail, his hitbox and moveset would be different, and that's not a thing in echoes (as long as i know, i am a human, i can be wrong).

Black Shadow and Porky chances go a little up:
We have 2 Roys, we can have 2 characters with the name shadow on it... Alright now my reasons why i think they got a little better chance, first start with E3, When Sakurai mentioned and show the original 12 characters from 64, this doesn't says much but is a little acknowledge.
And then we got the second one, which was in K. Rool trailer, where we see heroes fighting against villains or rivals, which we only see characters from the original 64, heck, we even see Kirby fighting against Meta Knight, even if he is not really a villain.
But it is interesting that they again, acknowledge the heroes vs villans, and that the only left from 64 are F-Zero and Mother.
Black Shadow would have it easy, he can be an echo of Captain Falcon, the fact that they FINALLY changed Ganondorf to not be a clone should be a hint that this is more possible than ever.
Porky should have to be a new character which can be a problem, but he have a history with smash, he has been in small references since meele and big apparitions since Brawl, and if it comes with a mother 3 localization, better than anything.
And now you must say, why Porky and not Giygas? well, it could be but after this direct I think his chances go down, everyone says that he could be a mewtwo echo but it would be really weird, think about it, every single echo is from the same franchise as the original, and they even can share the same slot, so, having a slot for a pokemon rep and a mother rep would be a very, very weird thing.
Giygas could be an original character with mind control gimmick/ mechanics.
Or like Chrom and be an echo that borrows from multiple characters. Mewtwo, ness, lucas.

And the ppl who designed giygas designed mewtwo.

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
So, now that the big two reptiles are in, who is the next most requested character (that currently isn't an AT)?
I could name a few:
  1. Geno, big name for a long, long time. Sakurai is aware of his demand, and he seems somewhat likely
  2. Waddle Dee, requests for Waddle Dees have apparently been happening since after 64, according to polls. But Bandana Waddle Dee seems like a likely choice.
  3. Isaac Goldensun, blonde.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
73 Fighters So Far with 5 of them being Echo Fighters.

3 More Unique, with 2 more echo fighters, I'm guessing, for a total of 78.

- Incineroar
- Isaac
- Rayman/Bandana Dee/Geno

- Octoling
- ???

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I just thought of something

THE CAPTAIN N CREW IS ALL HERE!!!!
Also

Last edited:

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Once the hype from the direct dies down (in like a few days probably) I hope someone does a close look at any leaks that could potentially be alive besides Vergeben's, this probably eliminated 99% of them.

Only the Toby leaker and the Dante leaker seem to be hanging on right now, with the Toby leaker saying he didn't know Richter but was confident in everyone else, and the Dante leaker coming very close moveset wise where I'd argue they probably just got some details from someone and they got the finals smash wrong (who knows.. definitely less likely of the two I've found that are still living leaks)
Link to these leakers?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Maybe if Geno gets in, his music falls under Mario instead of Final Fantasy? Also, they did manage to license a MII COSTUME of Geno before and had him appear in of the Superstar Saga games.

Ubisoft has been buddy buddy with Nintendo to the point of multiple franchise crossovers, and Rayman being in Smash as a trophy has come up before. Disregarding Japanese relevance issues(?), maybe they'll throw Rayman a bone this time around.
Even if Crash is a more relevant icon right nowCOUGH*COUGH
It's gonna be Mario for sure because the game focused heavily around Mario's journey to get the 7 stars.

People in this thread who told me K. Rool would never happen, you know who you are.

Eat it up.
I hope their tears are delicious for you to enjoy

Zeox

Smash Champion
Giygas could be an original character with mind control gimmick/ mechanics.
Or like Chrom and be an echo that borrows from multiple characters. Mewtwo, ness, lucas.

And the ppl who designed giygas designed mewtwo.
Yeah, Giygas as an original character would work... but wasn't Chrom an echo of Roy? how can a character be an echo of 3 characters if they can share the same slot?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
reminder that since chrom is using moves from other fighters that means shadow can take mewtwo teleport for chaos control

Its happening boys

"b-but 3rd party characters wont have e-echoes!!!!"

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
One of my favorite moments of the direct was when the Lady was getting ready to go on a nice stroll, she plugs her earbuds into her switch and tucks it away nicely into her purse. And the ****ing LUIGI'S MANSION theme starts playing. That was such a random and odd choice for lovely walking music. I actually laughed out loud.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I have a feeling considering Verge hasn't gotten a SINGLE echo. He doesn't know about Echos in his info. He knows about unique newcomers.

So if Isabelle is in? She's unique. Not an echo.
I think that's likely to be true, leaks this far from release tend to be from early development, and clones have historically always been developed last. Since she's one of the first characters he heard of it's even likely that she might have been high up the priority list.

Even ignoring that Isabelle is generally just more likely to be unique imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thirty-six Street Fighter tracks though. You know what that means.

Guile theme.

And the best part is you can pick that song on any stage. :troll:
Is there seriously 36 SF tracks, was that confirmed?

Also, I thought the selection was per franchise. So the stage had to be of the corresponding franchise. Not any song on any stage.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I could name a few:
  1. Geno, big name for a long, long time. Sakurai is aware of his demand, and he seems somewhat likely
  2. Waddle Dee, requests for Waddle Dees have apparently been happening since after 64, according to polls. But Bandana Waddle Dee seems like a likely choice.
  3. Isaac Goldensun, blonde.
I genuinely think Geno will be the "but wait there's more" reveal in the definitely-going-to-happen October direct, where he'll be seen allied with Peach and Bowser.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You know if we follow what Sakurai said we wouldn't have that many newcomers since "We shouldn't expect a lot"
Yet look where we are. 5 Characters in one single direct.
Anything is possible, don't believe his words.
It's true that we just got 5 more characters, but remember, not only are 4 of them Echoes, but that still only totals 8 new characters.
As it stands, that's still less than any other Smash game, and 4 less that the lowest amount we've ever gotten.

Honestly, I am inclined to believe his words. I haven't really been given any major reason to doubt him.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Argh, I've got somewhere to be but so pumped over the information dump that I can't get myself away from this chair to get prepared to leave.
Great direct and game continues to look and sound amazing! I'll try to dream about a time machine tonight...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
do echoes really count as full on newcomers

i woudnt be surpsrised if we end up with like 8 newcomers and 8 echoes making 16 total but still technically only 8 "new" characters

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

There is still a large gap in the stage select screen, so i think they haven't revealed ALL of the stages.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Alright, time to talk about characters that got higher chances and lower
I think Waddle Dee's chances have increased some. With the reveal of Kawasaki as Kirby's new Assist Trophy, I feel like Waddle Dee is less likely to take that spot as well!

Loz18(A notable person with inside info) had this to say

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883130#qp

Thoughts on potential leak?
I think if this is in addition to Isabelle and Incineroar, then yeah I could see it happening.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's true that we just got 5 more characters, but remember, not only are 4 of them Echoes, but that still only totals 8 new characters.
As it stands, that's still less than any other Smash game, and 4 less that the lowest amount we've ever gotten.

Honestly, I am inclined to believe his words. I haven't really been given any major reason to doubt him.
I think with this new 'echoes can be made to share slots' thing, it's hard to say how many we'll get. I'm not expecting 15+ newcomers but my expectations definitely gone up.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Not exactly. Some characters are homeless: Dr. Mario and ROB spring to mind. K. Rool didn't even come with his Gangplank Galleon either, which was a surprise for me.

You could probably feasibly add some Capcom series' tracks onto the Monster Hunter stage. Why, look at this bad boy right here:

Let me dream, ok? He's all I have left alongside ranked online with matchmaking.
Smash Ultimate is already perfect for me.

However, if Phoenix Wright were to be added, the game would transcend BEYOND perfect to something even greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom