• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about how weird it is that Castlevania has 34 music tracks, while Final Fantasy still has 2? It feels so awkward saying that.
Licensing problems probably.

@Tougon in the Direct, the sound test entry for FFVII only has 3 tracks. 1 is presumably the victory cue, the other 2 stage music.

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Also here's another thing that keeps my eyebrow raised... if this is all the stages we're getting, that probably means no more third-parties, no more new series, and most incriminating of all, no more stages for existing series. No new Xenoblade stage? No Gen VII stage? Idk about that...
I don't think any of the numbers we get before release are going to be exhaustive. Remember after E3 how everyone thought there was only gonna be 66 fighters because the website said so? I'm sure we'll see a few more stages, my bet's on six. Which, of course, could potentially mean six new fighters as well? IDK, I don't think someone like Isabelle would need a stage, especially considering there hasn't been a major Animal Crossing release since New Leaf :)))).

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Can we talk about how weird it is that Castlevania has 34 music tracks, while Final Fantasy still has 2? It feels so awkward saying that.
That just has to do with Square being a pain in the butt to work with.

People complain about Konami being sticklers, but they allowed for Snake to return, a newcomer, an echo fighter, three assist trophies, and a whole ton of songs in the game, both new and old, remixed and ripped.

I really doubt we'll be getting a new Square Enix character this time around because of it. Even despite Geno's immense popularity.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With how Chrom is a mix of Ike and Roy, do you guys think that Dixie is gonna be an Echo if she has completely different special moves?
Could see Dixie being primarily Diddy with a hint of DK (particularly the recovery, just hair instead of arms).

It is. No new universes after Castlevania seems weird but the tone used really has me thinking this is all we will get.

Besides anothe thing about Rathalos is that if the stage he appears on is a regular pne, what would happen if he was summoned as an assist too?
Two Rathalos. It's a species, not a unique character. I mean you can play Great Bay and summon the Moon now, and that's a unique character.

But that's a fair point.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I really don't get that either. Maybe Square just want to limit to 2? Because Square and FF are leaving a HUGE hole in the music tracks when it comes to some of the most iconic themes and many of them were on the Nintendo platform at some point.

But of course it's gonna be about the money. Now I'm freaked about whether Geno is gonna make it now if they're just limiting FF to 2 songs

D

Deleted member

idk if anyone said it but as someone who was disgusted at most K.Rool fans reacting to Corrin I think it's really ****ing hilarious they gave K.Rool a counter
King K. Rool is easily my favorite anime swordsman.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Two hot vampire hunters, Robin's husband, Dark Seamus, and the King himself have all been confirmed. Today is a good day.

Not to mention all that stuff about stages, music, modes, etc. And there's still more we haven't seen yet! They're cramming a lot into that tiny cartridge!

Also, there was apparently a leak about Simon? I'm glad the me from two days was paranoid enough about leaks and just stopped going to sites where that info would spread so that I could have more of a surprise with Simon.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
idk if anyone said it but as someone who was disgusted at most K.Rool fans reacting to Corrin I think it's really ****ing hilarious they gave K.Rool a counter
I love K Rool and found Corrin a cool addition- but that is pretty damn hilarious ngl

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Before people get too excited about Dixie as a potential Diddy echo, remember that Chrom is still borrowing his up special from Ike. Who would Dixie borrow her's from? DK? I'm not sure if that'd be so easy to copy and paste considering their drastic differences in size, and making new moves from scratch isn't something I really expect them to do for echoes.

Of course it could still always happen, but I definitely wouldn't call Dixie a lock.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would y'all feel about this roster? I included also three seasons of DLC characters, a la SFV and Tekken 7:

Ultimate Roster.png

- Impa (Sheik Echo)
- Other newcomers after today (all unique): Bandana Dee, Elma, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, Buzzwole
- DLC season 1 ("Switch Stars"): Twintelle, Rex & Pyra, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Addam & Mythra (Rex & Pyra Echo, represented by Mythra cause I didn't have an icon for both of them)
- DLC Season 2 ("Third Party Blowout"): Neku (Square Enix rep 2), Shadow (Sonic echo, Sega rep 3), Lloyd Irving (Bandai Namco rep 2), Dante (Capcom rep 3)
- DLC Season 3 ("Girl Power"): Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong semi-echo), Shantae (indie rep), Fiora (Elma semi-echo; notes on her later), Lip (can interchange with any other female rep of your choice, like Ayumi Tachibana or Linkle)

Notes on Fiora: yes, I'm aware she's in Shulk's final smash. BUT! Something about the MonHun AT during the direct struck a chord. "The first character in history" to be both a stage hazard and assist trophy. Why not Fiora be both in Shulk's final smash and playable? After all, regular Samus is in Zero Suit's new FS. That, or Fiora can just be patched out of Shulk's FS, assuming she's not also in his victory screen.

Also, sorry that icon's so blurry. Can't find a clearer icon of her PXZ2 render :(

Honorable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Geno, Joker/Ren Amamiya, Phoenix Wright, Rayman. I considered them but I couldn't really imagine them translating to Smash so easily

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
People in this thread who told me K. Rool would never happen, you know who you are.

Eat it up.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
But Dark Samus doesn't have any relation to Ridley other than the fact that they're both metroid villains, where would she fit into ridley's trailer?
Well, in a different trailer. New script, trolling about a new Metroid rep but she appears first and later Ridley... It's a Smash trailer, not a canon Metroid trailer, I see it possible, we can be more flexible. The biggest problem with a dual trailer is steal the spotlight to one of the most requested characters, as Ridley and K. Rool.
I dunno, I still see Dixie very possible, even she dodged the AT bullet... By now. Let's wait till Diddy final Smash for more.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm pretty confused over the wording of the Squad Strike rules. We never saw footage of it so it's hard to confirm.
Sakurai says it's one battle, which makes sense, but nothing else does.
It says that the battle is elimination and stock, BUT you're only given 2:30. There's no way you're going through 5 stocks in 2:30. It doesn't look as if there's an option to change that either.

At the same time, the "3v3" or "5v5" looks like its based on the amount of players, not characters (based on the subtitle, it says people instead of fighters), but sakurai also said one player can play.

But at the same time AS WELL, it also says you're given ONLY 5 characters, but the menu suggests otherwise. There's an option for controls but no option for setting the order.

D

Deleted member

So, how are people feeling about Isabelle? To be honest, I personally believe she's 100% in now thanks to the events of today's Direct:

1. She's been in notable leaks that have now been proven to have legit info.
2. Today's Direct pretty much confirms Echos are gonna be a big deal and a way to get more in the roster with less dev time.
3. When showing off ATs and stages, she was nowhere to be seen with a specific reveal of a new AC AT being Kapp'n.
4. With a little height reducing, she would fit Villager's frame nearly perfectly.

I have high hopes for this one. Isabelle is a character I can totally get behind, so I'm really hoping for it.

Speaking of the Echos, though, dang does Dark Samus look unique. I honestly don't know if she should be labeled an Echo; she kinda looks like she'd fit in more with the likes of Roy and Luigi!

D

Deleted member

People in this thread who told me K. Rool would never happen, you know who you are.

Eat it up.
I really wanted King K. Rool for a long time.

Also that was the best Smash Direct I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
ok first, i did not see richter coming to smash srsly.. for one moment i thought we just straight get every belmont as a costume or something,
then. okay vergeben is right now a given and soi
isabelle is in there i guess
next shadow is now a 99% given. the theorie that he along with D samus and chrom will be echoes was true

congatulatins KKROOL fans, im happy for you,

rip ashley and mimikyuu, and decideeye...

<.< soooo since sakurai said he has A FEW more echoes for us, meaning at least shadow and isabelle are in, if not even more. so yeah what a direct...

also if i see this correctly then we might still get more stages, since if there are legit more newcomers then there will be more stages, my gues the bottom row will be filled at least, so what 5-6 more stages we havent seen yet

aparently a adventure mode is there MAYBE , and well pew so much to enjoy... my bet we still get a new metroid stage, from samus returns, im pretty sure that is still coming
i would also say a minecraft stage is incoming and 2-3 more for the newcomers if not even 1-2 more from the old games.

i need to catch my breath here

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright, time to talk about characters that got higher chances and lower, first the obvious:

Shadow chances go up:
Castlevania got 2 reps, one of them an echo, it would be obvious that, Sonic, being the rival of Mario and a very classic franchise, would get a new character, and now that echoes are a popular thing, it would be obvious to get him, I would rather have Tails, but he is a little smaller and with the double tail, his hitbox and moveset would be different, and that's not a thing in echoes (as long as i know, i am a human, i can be wrong).

Black Shadow and Porky chances go a little up:
We have 2 Roys, we can have 2 characters with the name shadow on it... Alright now my reasons why i think they got a little better chance, first start with E3, When Sakurai mentioned and show the original 12 characters from 64, this doesn't says much but is a little acknowledge.
And then we got the second one, which was in K. Rool trailer, where we see heroes fighting against villains or rivals, which we only see characters from the original 64, heck, we even see Kirby fighting against Meta Knight, even if he is not really a villain.
But it is interesting that they again, acknowledge the heroes vs villans, and that the only left from 64 are F-Zero and Mother.
Black Shadow would have it easy, he can be an echo of Captain Falcon, the fact that they FINALLY changed Ganondorf to not be a clone should be a hint that this is more possible than ever.
Porky should have to be a new character which can be a problem, but he have a history with smash, he has been in small references since meele and big apparitions since Brawl, and if it comes with a mother 3 localization, better than anything.
And now you must say, why Porky and not Giygas? well, it could be but after this direct I think his chances go down, everyone says that he could be a mewtwo echo but it would be really weird, think about it, every single echo is from the same franchise as the original, and they even can share the same slot, so, having a slot for a pokemon rep and a mother rep would be a very, very weird thing.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
ok first, i did not see richter coming to smash srsly.. for one moment i thought we just straight get every belmont as a costume or something,
then. okay vergeben is right now a given and soi
isabelle is in there i guess
next shadow is now a 99% given. the theorie that he along with D samus and chrom will be echoes was true

congatulatins KKROOL fans, im happy for you,

rip ashley and mimikyuu, and decideeye...

<.< soooo since sakurai said he has A FEW more echoes for us, meaning at least shadow and isabelle are in, if not even more. so yeah what a direct...

also if i see this correctly then we might still get more stages, since if there are legit more newcomers then there will be more stages, my gues the bottom row will be filled at least, so what 5-6 more stages we havent seen yet

aparently a adventure mode is there MAYBE , and well pew so much to enjoy... my bet we still get a new metroid stage, from samus returns, im pretty sure that is still coming
i would also say a minecraft stage is incoming and 2-3 more for the newcomers if not even 1-2 more from the old games.

i need to catch my breath here
I thought he meant a few more newcomers in general rather than just echos.

Hope the echo number doesn't get too crazy, anyway.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Zinith Zinith
Assuming every Yoshi song from Smash 4 returns, Yoshi gets (at least) two new songs.
And Mario has that much music it got two albums.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Before people get too excited about Dixie as a potential Diddy echo, remember that Chrom is still borrowing his up special from Ike. Who would Dixie borrow her's from? DK? I'm not sure if that'd be so easy to copy and paste considering their drastic differences in size, and making new moves from scratch isn't something I really expect them to do for echoes.

Of course it could still always happen, but I definitely wouldn't call Dixie a lock.
I wouldn’t say she’s a lock but, just for the record, as a programmer (partially) borrowing sizes is easy. It’s definitely possible for her to use DK’s up B. We’ve also discussed it before, but, she’s used a jet pack (or something similar) in one of the spinoff games

Honestly echo’s are hard to gauge. There’s not really many rules it seems.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Maybe if Geno gets in, his music falls under Mario instead of Final Fantasy? Also, they did manage to license a MII COSTUME of Geno before and had him appear in of the Superstar Saga games.

Ubisoft has been buddy buddy with Nintendo to the point of multiple franchise crossovers, and Rayman being in Smash as a trophy has come up before. Disregarding Japanese relevance issues(?), maybe they'll throw Rayman a bone this time around.
Even if Crash is a more relevant icon right nowCOUGH*COUGH

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I thought he meant a few more newcomers in general rather than just echos.

Hope the echo number doesn't get too crazy, anyway.
i think as well that he means new fighters periods instead of just new echoes. Even though some would be lovely.

Jeanne stands out in particular. Wouldn't it be lovely to have Bayo's girlfriend join her in the melee?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I just cannot stand his design. I know this is incredibly petty of me and I apologize about it but I cannot help it...
I really don't want to start any arguments or anything, but I'm curious what aspect of his design is offputting. I personally find him having floating limbs to be pretty cool and unique, it goes well with him being very light in his games. Plus that hoodie of his is pretty neat. I'm surprised you're hating on him rather than say, the Rabbids, which are literally just ugly cartoon rabbit-like creatures that are just loud, have the IQ of a banana, and are incredibly annoying (the main Rabbids from Kingdom Battle are an exception).

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
By the way, Sakurai was worried that he'd look weird in this Direct, but he didn't really look bad... he looked better than he did last time, to my eyes.

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
How would y'all feel about this roster? I included also three seasons of DLC characters, a la SFV and Tekken 7:

View attachment 156343
- Impa (Sheik Echo)
- Other newcomers after today (all unique): Bandana Dee, Elma, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, Buzzwole
- DLC season 1 ("Switch Stars"): Twintelle, Rex & Pyra, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Addam & Mythra (Rex & Pyra Echo, represented by Mythra cause I didn't have an icon for both of them)
- DLC Season 2 ("Third Party Blowout"): Neku (Square Enix rep 2), Shadow (Sonic echo, Sega rep 3), Lloyd Irving (Bandai Namco rep 2), Dante (Capcom rep 3)
- DLC Season 3 ("Girl Power"): Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong semi-echo), Shantae (indie rep), Fiora (notes on her later), Lip (can interchange with any other female rep of your choice, like Ayumi Tachibana or Linkle)

Notes on Fiora: yes, I'm aware she's in Shulk's final smash. BUT! Something about the MonHun AT during the direct struck a chord. "The first character in history" to be both a stage hazard and assist trophy. Why not Fiora be both in Shulk's final smash and playable? After all, regular Samus is in Zero Suit's new FS. That, or Fiora can just be patched out of Shulk's FS, assuming she's not also in his victory screen.

Also, sorry that icon's so blurry. Can't find a clearer icon of her PXZ2 render :(

Honorable mentions: Crash Bandicoot, Geno, Joker/Ren Amamiya, Phoenix Wright, Rayman. I considered them but I couldn't really imagine them translating to Smash so easily
I'd love this roster so much. It's my dream.

osby

Smash Obsessed
By the way, Sakurai was worried that he'd look weird in this Direct, but he didn't really look bad... he looked better than he did last time, to my eyes.
While we were worrying for his health, he was hinting King K.Rool and Bloody Tears song, apparently.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The way they talked about stages made me believe they've revealed all of them, which leads me to believe their won't be anymore characters from new franchises, because they wouldn't have a home stage, and I doubt they would do that.

Kind of sucks, because I was really hoping for a Rhythm Heaven character and stage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thirty-six Street Fighter tracks though. You know what that means.

Guile theme.

And the best part is you can pick that song on any stage. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom