• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm also joining the Richter thirst train. I had NO IDEA who he was but I am DOWN TO SMASH.

Oh boy.

Got to say, I'm strangely pleased by all this positive reception to Richter.

Imagine if we got version of him instead.

Also I'm kind of expect to see some Chrom & Richter-content due their shared Echo-status + that ikemen. :smirk:

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
mimikyu may not have made it, but it earned the award for most savage pokemon in smash history. my mind went straight nostalgia mode.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Also one super cool detail I noticed are the scales on K.Rool... they're raised... as in.. they were modeled into his character model

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Well I can't remember my original promise if I was wrong so I'm just gonna hope nobody else does either. Man... I am unbelievably hyped.

List of reasons for my hype:
1. Has basically ALL of my requested fighters
2. Amazing selection of stages
3. Turning off Stage Hazards will make "casual competitive" play more fun
4. "Crew Battle" (Forgot what they call it) with 5 characters sounds amazing
5. Stage Morphing sounds like something I didn't even know I wanted
6. Updated mechanics, and fixes to old "Turtling" problems

This still won't win over the Melee crowd, but I think that's totally fine. I think this is going to be the best Smash game.
Believe it was something about eating a shoe :p

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Because I'm bored

Characters I would bang:
:ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultganondorf::ultike::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmarth::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultroy::ultryu::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultwiifittrainer:(male version), Simon, Trevor

Characters I would bang if I was straight/they were men:
:ultbayonetta::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss::ultsamus:

Characters I wouldn't bang because they're animals/children/not human looking:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultdoc::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrob::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink:, K Rool

That's a pretty decent list of bangable characters. And if you're a furry you've got even more options.
Yeah Retweet.

Oh boy.

Also I hope we see some Chrom & Richter-content.

:smirk:
GOD SAKURAI KING OF THE GAYS,, seriously though if there's a story mode or like a trophy description or something that confirms Chrobin, best game of all time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Remember, next time you cite a rule as to why a person can't get into Smash, think of a better reason

Thanks 8.8.18 direct
Rules broken today:
  1. Third Party franchises can't have more than one rep (broken by Richter)
  2. The Original 12 can't have Echoes (broken by Dark Samus)
  3. Echoes have to have the same attacks as their base (broken by Chrom)
Any more I'm not thinking of?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
With Metroid getting two new characters and DK a new one after ten years, I think Zelda getting someone new is basically a lock. Impa as a Sheik Echo seems more and more likely now. The crazy thing is that the Echoes will probably outnumber the clones in Melee since we already have 4 and it's very heavily implied that, although extremely similar, they can have different animations and even attacks to make up for it. Here are what I consider "safe bets":

Ken: Probably the most iconic "twin" in gaming aside from Luigi; all but a done deal now.

Dixie: The biggest obstacle for her being an echo was her recovery which we now know is irrelevant because of Chrom. Peanut pop gun is made into the Bubble gum gun from Tropical Freeze, give her DK's recovery, and maybe incorporate her hair into her throws; boom, done.

Shadow- Basically Dark Sonic. Give him Mewtwo's teleport and a different running animation and you can call it a day.

Octoling- Same premise as Shadow, Dark Pit, and Dark Samus.

Now let's throw out some others:

Medusa- Palutena Echo. Change her up and down smash, give her attacks fire and dark properties and this would surprisingly make sense in my eyes.

Galacta Knight/Dark Metaknight- Do I really have to go into this one?

Black Shadow- Captain Falcon Echo. Melee Ganondorf's attacks with Brawl/SSB4's Ganondorf's weight and speed. Done, pay me.

And lastly:

Isabelle- I'm all but certain she's in the game now but I haven't a clue how she'll play. Making her an Echo of Villager would be an easy way out but she is popular enough that they might actually invest time in making her unique.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
So I have a concept for the unconfirmed green mode.
What if you combined the board game concept of Smash Tour with the exploration, leveling up and such of Smash Run, all with a DnD backdrop. You'd fight players and enemies who come your way in a Sudden Death-esque manner with your upgraded stats, but then you can recruit them for your squad. You could also go online and face opponents across the world or just the street. That's right, prepare yourself for the glory of...

SMASH GAUNTLET!

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I like Richter and and his games so Richter is the best thing about the Direct, personally.
I think. I also like Chrom.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh boy.

Also I'm kind of expect to see some Chrom & Richter-content due their shared Echo-status + that ikemen. :smirk:
But Valkyrie, Chrom isn't an Ike man. He's a Roy man.

(I'm joking, I know what you mean)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Rules broken today:
  1. Third Party franchises can't have more than one rep (broken by Richter)
  2. The Original 12 can't have Echoes (broken by Dark Samus)
  3. Echoes have to have the same attacks as their base (broken by Chrom)
Any more I'm not thinking of?
There could be, but either way, it's about time people got a wake up call about the rules they keep attaching themselves to by the hip.
I feel justified in constantly saying it now haha

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
What timeline is this that we have 2 more Metroid characters in the span of 1 game?

And almost all of them are Samus Kappa

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Excuse me did Simon just tether with a basic attack?

D

Deleted member

Yeah Retweet.

GOD SAKURAI KING OF THE GAYS,, seriously though if there's a story mode or like a trophy description or something that confirms Chrobin, best game of all time.
Richter can't be gay if Julius exists.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Let's discuss the remaining characters using Vergeben's leaks!

1) He does not have all the info.
2) Personally I think he was not told about who the echoes are just the unique ones.
3) He said 6 newcomers, excluding Inkling and Ridley
4) Simon Belmont and King K Rool is revealed, 4 left.

Here's what I think.

1) Pokemon rep - Probably Incineroar. He already said it was not Decidueye.
2) Xenoblade rep - should be Rex
3) Mario rep - Geno. Since Capt Toad is gone, Geno will be the rep.
4) Either Isabelle or Impa. I am leaning towards Isabelle since Vergeben confirmed her.

Now for the echoes.
1) Dixie - Diddy Echo
2) Shadow - Sonic Echo
3) Jeanne - Bayonetta echo
4) Impa - Sheik echo
Going off of the ballot, I imagine something like this:
1) Pokemon Gen 7 Rep
2) Bandana Waddle Dee
3) Geno
4) Isabelle

Echoes:
1) Dixie
2) Shadow
3) Impa

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Even though Chrom and Dark Samus showed that Echoes can have significant changes and Richter shows that 3rd Parties can have echoes, I'm not jumping onto the Shadow Echo train yet, nor do I think that Echoes will fill the majority of new characters. I mean you can say that Knuckles replaced him, but Knucles does different things compared to Shadow.

I also, just don't like the idea of Shadow being an actual character, and I feel that Richter and Simon are associated more with Nintendo than Shadow is.

Aside from that, did the count, we have:

4 Newcomers: :ultinkling::ultridley:(Simon) (King K. Rool)
4 Newchoes: :ultdaisy: (Richter) (Chrom) (Dark Samus)
There are a total of 6 echo fighters, which I think is right for this game.

So far it looks even, but I expect only 2 more echoes and somewhere around 6-8 more newcomers. We have a total roster of 72 characters. But the actual character count is 67.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, Sakurai did hint at there being another mode he didn't talk about yet, as well as how online works and a whole other boat of unexplained features, so I have no doubt we'll get another direct later with 2 new characters, as well 1 character a month or something with some secret fighters.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I am actually starting to think Skull Kid will be in the game and will have his final form or something as a final smash since the moon is an AT. Skull Kid, would make this roster complete for me. I am hyped!

KMDP

Smash Legend

Excuse me did Simon just tether with a basic attack?
I believe he did, but you probably have to angle the whip perfectly, so they probably made it look easier to pull off than it actually is.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I just thought about something... With those "103 stages" all being revealed without seeing anything from a new series, does this mean there will not be any fighter from a currently unrepresented series from now on...?

That might finally kill off Rayman thank God

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I went in preparing for the worst. Saw a lot of good, but a lot I didn't like either. I lost sleep last night stressing over this. But I've cooled down a bit, so figured I'd post my full thoughts.

Simon Belmont I knew immediately upon seeing the castle. Looks like the first bit of Vergeben's info was correct. Still have yet to see if he's right on Isabelle and a Gen VII Pokemon not being Decidueye and Lycanroc. Especially the latter now that he seems to be doubting his sources.

Dracula's Castle looks pretty good though, and I was accurate with Alucard being an Assist Trophy. 34 music tracks is surprising. Hopefully one of those is a metal version of Bloody Tears at the least.

Richter I thought was an alternate costume at first. Don't like him as a clone. Not liking that 3rd Parties can have 'Echo' fighters of themselves now in general. Shadow looks more possible now than ever.

Chrom is in, going against things he's said in the past once again. We now have seven Fire Emblem characters. The series now has as many characters as Pokemon. More than the Legend of Zelda. More than Donkey Kong and Metroid even with their new characters. More than Kirby and Star Fox combined. Not to mention that three of them are all variations of Marth, giving us effectively four variations of the same character. At least I can combine 'Echo' fighters with their original to make it seem like there isn't so many of them.

Dark Samus being an 'Echo' was something I tried to debunk, but knew the writing was on the wall. I don't mind her, but its a shame she's a clone. Her animations look great, though.

Glad to see a lot of old stages returning, but I'm really upset that Sector Z and Orbital Gate Assault are not returning. My guess is that Sakurai wants everything Star Fox visually based off Star Fox Zero. With him not wanting to remake Smash 64 stages, and Orbital Gate Assault solely based off Star Fox: Assault, I doubt that they just haven't been revealed yet. I'd like to at least see one new stage or a music track or two from Star Fox Zero, but wouldn't be surprised if Star Fox got the shaft yet again.

Stage Hazard toggle is something I'm happy about, but Stage Morphing looks like an unnecessary gimmick. Music not being limited to a specific stage, but rather any stage from that series, is a very nice touch.

Smash stuff. Rulesets are great to see. Stamina battles were alright. Stage selection changes are alright, I suppose. Sudden death we knew about, but I like the changes. Chargeable Final Smashes are crazy. Looks like a lot of fun with friends, but I don't see this working in competitive.

Battlemodes. Squad Strike looks absolutely great. Something like this was actually one of my most wanted things in Smash Ultimate, and they even took it a step further by allowing crew battles. Tournament mode looks very good, too. Smashdown looks incredible, too. It's like a designated Iron Man mode. Training looks so nice with launch distance markers, though that grid is going to cause me eye strain. Lastly, I'm glad Classic is back, and I'm glad they've gone away from Smash 4's style.

The normal items look good, though many of them look overpowered. Specifically Killing Edge, Death's Scythe, and the Staff.

Poke Ball summons look great. And Mimikyu does exactly what I thought it would do. And no, Mimikyu does not 'confirm' Vergeben for me, as I never saw Mimikyu as playable in the first place. Also, it's about damn time we saw Ditto!

Assist Trophy deconfirmations were nice to see. A lot of them look pretty crazy, like Kapp'n. The only one I don't like seeing is Shovel Knight, who I feel has no place in Smash, but his game was published in Japan by Nintendo, so whatever. The Moon Assist Trophy makes Skull Kid seem even more likely as a playable character. Also, Rathalos is an Assist Trophy, and as a boss on a Monster Hunter stage? What.

Main Menu looks leagues above Smash 4's. I like how the center has the original eight characters starting character from Smash 64. Great cast to be greeted with. Also, apparently the blurred out 'green' mode is called 'Spirits', and I assume its the main way to unlock characters. A Great Maze would be nice. The blurred out spot on the dashboard may be a progress checker.

King K. Rool. Knew it was him the second the camera shook. His opening trailer looked great, and I loved how it showed the main Nintendo cast with their villains before cutting to his reveal. King K. Rool looks pretty damn great, and I honestly thought he would've been beat out by Dixie Kong. Speaking of which, I think Dixie Kong seems a lot less likely now. Anyways, congrats to the fans who've been clambering for him for so long. He'll make for a great addition.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just thought about something... With those "103 stages" all being revealed without seeing anything from a new series, does this mean there will not be any fighter from a currently unrepresented series from now on...?

You got a problem with Rayman? If so, then you've got a problem with me!

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if there'll be any Gen VII Pokemon in Ultimate, I mean - it's kind of a given, but I still wonder...

peachy!

super princess
I purposely avoided the forums since yesterday to avoid any spoilers; was there any leak discussed here that ended up being right?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

True, or their stages that can be added nonetheless to not spoil the surprise, probably explaining the three or four empty slot in the Stage Select Screen.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Going off of the ballot, I imagine something like this:
1) Pokemon Gen 7 Rep
2) Bandana Waddle Dee
3) Geno
4) Isabelle

Echoes:
1) Dixie
2) Shadow
3) Impa
I agree almost exactly with you, but I'm going to take Dixie out. Not only did she miss the perfect chance to be in a trailer, but she's not very similar to Diddy. I can be wrong though. I just think she missed her chance.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well he is the only video game character I positively dread to see a smash inclusion from. But it is only a matter of tastes.

This whole stage deal relieves me a tad
Why would you dread him? It's one thing to not like a character, but dread?
Where did Rayman hurt you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom