• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
On a scale from "1 to Rogersbase" what would you rank your natural hype levels? :yoshi:
I like to think my natural hype surpasses the natural state of Rogersbase. So yeah, I'm hyped. Ready for more info.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I kinda hope the leak claiming every character actually has 16 costumes is true; Ridley seems to have more than 8 with his Meta Ridley costume not being one of the Demo's. Just think of the possibilities, man! I had a similar idea to Mc. Rad's about giving them low-poly costumes, maybe resembling their Smash 64 models.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I kinda hope the leak claiming every character actually has 16 costumes is true; Ridley seems to have more than 8 with his Meta Ridley costume not being one of the Demo's.
That's my working theory and it's one of the things I most strongly support. Except, I think the second half will be unlockable. I also think all unlockables should be purchasable with coins if people so want.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Personally I doubt anything would make me have enough hype to actually make me do anything worth making a reaction video about. Still, I’m pretty excited, and I’m expecting to have a huge grin during the Direct and pace around excitedly for quite a while afterward, ahaha...

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
So if Meta ridley gives Ridley additional costume changes, do you think the announcer would refer to him as "Meta Ridley" (much like Alph and the Koopalings aren't called "Olimar" and "Bowser Jr.")?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm excited, but I'm keeping my expectations in check. The lower I set the bar, the less likely I'll be disappointed with what we get.

Oh, it's the :ultdaisy: guy, right?
I kinda feel bad for Daisy supporters. I always thought she was a character who deserved to be in Smash, but then Memoryman swooped in and became the face of her fanbase.

Needless to say, he didn't do her any favors.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda feel bad for Daisy supporters. I always thought she was a character who deserved to be in Smash, but then Memoryman swooped in and became the face of her fanbase.

Needless to say, he didn't do her any favors.
I keep hearing about Memoryman. What did he do to become the face of Daisy fanbase?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do you think if Simon gets in he'll share some moveset with his appearance in Dream Mix TV World Fighters, the fighter also featuring Snake and Bomberman?

Shroob

Sup?
That's my working theory and it's one of the things I most strongly support. Except, I think the second half will be unlockable. I also think all unlockables should be purchasable with coins if people so want.
Coins? Absolutely. I think I ended up maxing out on coins on 3ds.

Gems or premium currency like that one leak last night? Noooooooo

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I promise, I am not that kind of person loooooool. I was actually taken aback by that. It's okay. I don't bite.
Almost everything is hype for me. Almost nothing can ruin the game for me, even my most wanteds being assist trophies or something lol
Oh sorry, I didn't mean that I thought you would be like that! I meant it as a general "Hey everyone let's get excited, but please remember to not get salty!" :0

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So if Meta ridley gives Ridley additional costume changes, do you think the announcer would refer to him as "Meta Ridley" (much like Alph and the Koopalings aren't called "Olimar" and "Bowser Jr.")?
I guess it would be a nice touch, but it's not explicitly necessary. Meta Ridley is still the same entity as Ridley, just at a different point in the timeline.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I wonder if dead characters have a chance at all of appearing in Smash, whether it be a playable role or Assist Trophy. Name any dead characters in video games you can think that have the highest chance of getting in, even if the chance is still low overall.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Sakurai saying he'll do his best is clearly a hint towards a newcomer we don't see coming.

"Nino, does her best!"

And Ashley is her echo fighter.

Last edited:

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I'm very hyped for the direct. I'll take as much Smash Ultimate news as I can get to tide me over til release, and I can't wait to see more newcomers and features.

Also, I apologize if this subject has already been touched on in recent discussion, but what does everyone think the chances are we get an announcement of a test smash or demo, and when do you all think it will take place if we do get one? I can see one happening in October or November, close to the release, mostly due to the reason that I think they'll want the demo to have a significant amount of polish and represent what will be the final game more accurately.

However, I also think they could give access (or maybe early access) to a test smash in September for members of Nintendo's online subscription service, near or at the launch of the program. That would certainly be a way to entice early subscribers.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know what'd be really damn amazing tomorrow?

If they'd do a combined reveal of rest of the newcomers for the game, basically sharing a huge kind of a trailer together.

The amount of them would be limited to 8, much like the date we're having right now.

Iridium

Smash Hero
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3152...do-his-best-for-tomorrow-s-smash-bros-ultimat

Didn't see anyone talk about this yet. Some people think he's being cheeky and cryptic because a lot of popular characters have red eyes which would be hilarious if true:
View attachment 156151
View attachment 156152
View attachment 156153
View attachment 156154
View attachment 156155
View attachment 156157
Uh, wow. When I mentioned this yesterday, I did not look at the red eyes mention like this. I doubt this will go anywhere, and if it seems to, it might just be a simple coincidence.

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, since no one else is gonna do it, I'll just do it now and look back on how right I was.

My own personal wishlist for SmashU:

:ultsimon:

:ultisabelle:

:ultincenaroar:

:ulttapukoko:

:ultdixie:

:ultkrool:

:ultelma:

:ultbandanadee:

:ultcelica:

and just to cover my bases, just in case:

:ultheihachi:

:ultspringman:

:ultrex:

:ultashley:

:ultshadow:

:ultdarksamus:

:ultchrom:

I feel confident that at least two of these are gonna happen tomorrow, because if you throw 100 darts, you'll either miss all of them, or at least land one bullseye.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I wonder if dead characters have a chance at all of appearing in Smash, whether it be a playable role or Assist Trophy. Name any dead characters in video games you can think that have the highest chance of getting in, even if the chance is still low overall.
:ultridley::ultness: <- Both technically dead in the most future-set games in their canons

Roberk

Smash Champion
Sakurai saying he'll do his best is clearly a hint towards a newcomer we don't see coming.

"Nino, does her best!"

And Ashley is her echo fighter.
Stop right there, we can’t have a popular character who would bring diversity design and gameplay-wise to the roster /s.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Coins? Absolutely. I think I ended up maxing out on coins on 3ds.

Gems or premium currency like that one leak last night? Noooooooo
Have Nintendo ever published a game on the Switch that had microtransactions before? I know the mobile games do, but not familiar with the Switch and that sort of thing.

(Yeah I know this game also has Bandai Namco involved, but Nintendo seems to treat the Smash series as its own).

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultridley::ultness: <- Both technically dead in the most future-set games in their canons
Oh, I was looking more at characters permanently dead in their franchise, like Zack Fair.

Also, is it possible you could explain Ness's death? I don't hear too much about this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai is just friggin' tired. I swear, he would sneeze and it'd immediately be assumed as a hint towards revealing Boogerman or something.

Guys, Anime is already in the game.
:ultcloud::ultike::ultshulk::ultrobin:ultroy::ultmarth::ultcorrin:
Personally I don't mind more sword fighters as long as they're unique.

Mobile is also awful.
For the record, :ultmetaknight: , :ultpit: and :ultdarkpit: are anime too.

Master Higgins. I imagine that he would have more of an impact with old-school people than Bonk, at any rate.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Mother 3 takes place thousands of years after Mother 2.
Okay, that makes sense. I thought it was only in the span of a few decades, but I see.

But man, that makes the union of all of these characters in Smash so much weirder.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, that makes sense. I thought it was only in the span of a few decades, but I see.

But man, that makes the union of all of these characters in Smash so much weirder.
Definitely not.

A bit of a spoiler for Mother 3, but its setting is basically on the last island in the world.

To put it into perspective, Mother 3 effectively is at the verge of the heat death of the universe in terms of timeline.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, since no one else is gonna do it, I'll just do it now and look back on how right I was.

I feel confident that at least two of these are gonna happen tomorrow, because if you throw 100 darts, you'll either miss all of them, or at least land one bullseye.
May as well throw in a few more for good measure:

:ulttwintelle:

:ultbuzzwole:

:ultchoruskids:

:ultlloyd:

:ultyuri:

:ultgeno:

Slightly less likely than your list, but I wanna dream

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Does anyone here remember the Chronicle from Brawl?
Various24_080128v-l.jpg

It's such a small extra from Brawl that I wouldn't really blame anyone for forgetting about it.
As someone who was really young around the time of Brawl's release, I wasn't really informed about Nintendo's history. Sure, I had grew up with Nintendo since the N64, but I didn't know a lot about the NES, SNES, or a lot of the games that Nintendo published during that time. Of course, I now know a lot about these consoles and even follow game announcements for consoles such as the Switch, but looking up a system's catalogue of games never crossed my mind as a kid since you had to search it out.
People say that Smash is a gaming museum due to the amount of diverse characters it has, but I think Brawl really drove home that museum vibe with Stickers, Trophies, Masterpieces, and the Chronicle. I really appreciated that about Brawl growing up. It made me interested in searching out game systems and see what made them stand out.
Ultimate is turning out to be the Smash game that I have been dreaming of and if it gives you a deep dive into Nintendo's history with its extras, I'll be thrilled.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Oh, we doing premeditated character emotes? Okay then...

:ultboshi:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I keep hearing about Memoryman. What did he do to become the face of Daisy fanbase?
A better question would be, "What didn't he do?" He took every absolutely every opportunity he could to remind you who his favorite character was. Discussing characters you'd like to see in Smash? Daisy. Watching a video about Mario Kart? Daisy. Reading a tweet from Nintendo? Daisy.

I admire his dedication, but it got old fast. His obsession with Daisy got so much attention (or rather, he brought so much attention to himself) that people began labeling Daisy supporter as obnoxious and annoying kids who don't know what they're talking about. People got pretty nasty with them at times, this site included.

You know what'd be really damn amazing tomorrow?

If they'd do a combined reveal of rest of the newcomers for the game, basically sharing a huge kind of a trailer together.
The
The amount of them would be limited to 8, much like the date we're having right now.
I'd actually be pretty darn disappointed if they dropped the remaining newcomers on us tomorrow. That would potentially ruin speculation entirely for this game, as we would already know every character who is disconfirmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom