• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My point being that Ken's literally just "Red Ryu" and paying extra for him to not even being unique would likely be a waste in Sakurai's mind.

Because he doesn't acknowledge anything that's not SFII or SFIV, the unique Ken from SFV doesn't count in this case.

I really don't think a trophy costs the same to license as a selling point (character) of the game.
I don't really expect too many echoes but I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a second.

What do you think of Rayman as a regular trophy, and Tails and Silver as background characters? Presumably those guys took liscencing fees as well but all they got was small cameo appearances. The same could be said to a lesser extant about all 3rd party assist trophies. Shouldn't all of that be a waste as well?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's interesting what causes us to get hyped for characters. I would be really hyped if King K Rool would appear (I'm 99% he won't), but I don't even have much history with the character. I only played the original DK game on the old systems a few times and watched the cartoon once or twice. But when people starting throwing around movesets for him pre Sm4sh, I was immediately on board. Regardless of what characters "deserve" spots in Smash, I think King K Rool would be such a funny, dorky character that you can't help but love.

So what gets you excited for your most wanted newcomers??
Shantae is cute, and I rather like the idea of her cast and setting. Not to mention various transformations.

Rayman, meanwhile is a childhood hero of mine, and it'd be great to see him fight Sukapon, the OG limbless guy.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Guys, Anime is already in the game.
:ultcloud::ultike::ultshulk::ultrobin:ultroy::ultmarth::ultcorrin:
Personally I don't mind more sword fighters as long as they're unique.

Mobile is also awful.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I know people get mad over echo stuff, especially 3rd party but i really would want ms pac man. I prefer her as a character and her game over pac man. I wanted her as an alt in smash 4 but the issue lies in her bonus fruit, but as an echo pretty much everything can be the same but with different property fruit.

Shroob

Sup?
Right now, my biggest fear for DLC is:

If we get Codec/Guidance back...

"Wow, who's THAT fighter?"

"Lol I 'unno, just stay strong and uhhh, maybe you'll win? I 'unno."

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
So, dug up something from last month that I'm unsure if ever came up around here. Some passable JP site's poll on Smash newcomer wants, and someone who apparently fitted it into a more proper english listing of the big names, albeit in a long image so spoilered.
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.amp.html
Honestly I'm gonna be upset if 3 of the top 4 aren't in.
Soooo many Square Enix characters holy.......... I doubt Sakurai is going to pester Square about their characters. They already seem very conservative about Cloud anyway.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If Ken is a DLC Echo I'm not paying for him. Thats really all I have to say on the subject.

DLC Echos are just a bad idea.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Less than 24 hours until the direct still hoping for Lloyd or Yuri Lowell. Even if that Lloyd leak is fake.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Yeah a DLC echo of a 3rd party character seems like a poor business decision. Way fewer people are going to be willing to pay for an echo as DLC (I know I wouldn't, unless it necessarily comes bundled with another newcomer) and being 3rd party would require extra licensing on top of that. If Ken is going to be an echo fighter it will be in the base game, in my opinion. Otherwise I expect they'd be getting significantly less return on their investment into the character.

Also that supposed poll of Japanese fans makes me significantly less hopeful about Isaac. =( And this shouldn't really be too surprising but zero zelda characters on the list also makes me sad.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. He'd be paying to use him whether he's an alternate costume specifically, an echo, a clone, a semi-clone, a unique fighter, an AT, a Trophy, or otherwise. He's paying extra money for that character only, and it won't cost "extra" either.

There is no reason to believe an iconic character's usage would be a remote waste here. Not when him being a good echo that does the job of being different is used. As pointed out before, removing Ryu's mechanic so Ken can be an easier to use version would be a perfect reason to do it. It would please fans who aren't interested in "technical controls" that Ryu has while adding an extremely popular character.

It's not an issue like you make it. Easy to make characters to boost the roster is the reason for clones/echoes to exist in the first place. They're not a waste as is because they give more things for people to do. Ken playing a lot like Ryu... is not a waste since he still has a lot of similarities anyway. Makes a lot of sense for a character who plays the same way to be a clone/echo as well. As seen with Falco being a clone, too.
That still doesn't combat my argument that third party newcomers must be iconic and that they receive special care to represent their games faithfully, which is what started the conversation to begin with.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
CRACK THEORY TIME

As we all know, the announcer for Smash Ultimate is Xander Mobus. He likely had to record some new voice lines for this game, as evidenced by (obviously) the new characters, (likely) modes, and victory screen.

What other character is voiced by Xander Mobus, making it easy for lines to be recorded?

J O K E R

He's as good as confirmed boys. /s

Joking aside, I would like to see someone unconventional tomorrow. Some people on 4chan have been speculating about Dante, and I think he'd be hype AF (and we could also have "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" on the box). I've also heard talk of Doom Guy, and he'd be exciting too. At the very least I'm hoping for more than the trite King K. Rool and Dixie Kong combo that I've seen in "leaks" 50+ times over the course of the last month and a half.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That still doesn't combat my argument that third party newcomers must be iconic and that they receive special care to represent their games faithfully, which is what started the conversation to begin with.
I wouldn't call Bayonetta especially iconic if you're denying the likes of Ken being iconic. It doesn't help that now there's evidence she was chosen long before the ballot was over.

DarkSt0rm009

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExtremeDeath
3DS FC
0946-2239-4297
Switch FC
SW-6724-2496-0212
CRACK THEORY TIME

As we all know, the announcer for Smash Ultimate is Xander Mobus. He likely had to record some new voice lines for this game, as evidenced by (obviously) the new characters, (likely) modes, and victory screen.

What other character is voiced by Xander Mobus, making it easy for lines to be recorded?

J O K E R

Joking aside, I would like to see someone unconventional tomorrow. Some people on 4chan have been speculating about Dante, and I think he'd be hype AF (and we could also have "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" on the box). I've also heard talk of Doom Guy, and he'd be exciting too. At the very least I'm hoping for more than the trite King K. Rool and Dixie Kong combo that I've seen in "leaks" 50+ times over the course of the last month and a half.
Well, I'm honestly glad I'm not the only one sick of hearing about "Oh Hey guys K.Rool and Dixie confirmed exclusively and exactly in that order"
Especially when they call her an echo of Diddy when I doubt she would have the exact same moveset as him

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Less than 24 hours until the direct still hoping for Lloyd or Yuri Lowell. Even if that Lloyd leak is fake.
The leak was fake. It was a video for a pachinko machine.

That said, it appears Lloyd might be the most likely Tales of option. No, not because of the Nintendo thing, but because Tales of Symphonia is a severely popular game that is one of the few to have a major impact for the series, being that it was one of the few games translated early on.

Sounds perfect for a Ken echo too. He was pretty much a clone to begin with and still does a lot of what Ryu does.

Being an echo isn't unfaithful to the games by design. It's only if that character seriously never had anything in common with the character they're being created from. That is, no moveset similarities, period.

Same reason why Shadow works, as he'd be very faithful as an echo.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
CRACK THEORY TIME

J O K E R

I'm not familiar with Persona 5 (or the Persona series in general), but if Dante or Doomguy were actually added, I'd be really excited, even if I only got into those franchises in the past few years.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

My bingo card is ready
  • Row 1: Classic Mode returns, Fountain of Dreams returns, Echo Fighter reveal, a surprise, a special last announcement
  • Row 2: Stage Builder returns, King K. Rool, information on Trophies, Ashley, at least seven new stages revealed
  • Row 3: The whole direct gets (ACCURATELY) leaked Wednesday morning, Simon Belmont, FREE SPACE, more alternate costumes, Smash Run returns
  • Row 4: At least three newcomers revealed, more Final Smashes shown, no playable Gen VII Pokemon, Final Destination shown, Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Row 5: Popular requested characters get the role of Assist Trophy or Poke Ball summons, a new mode revealed, Isabelle, a new Super Smash Bros.-original item, story mode revealed.
----
While I don't have a problem with DLC Echo Fighters... the thing is if you're gonna release them post game anyway why not go the extra mile and make them unique? I just don't see the logic here.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call Bayonetta especially iconic if you're denying the likes of Ken being iconic. It doesn't help that now there's evidence she was chosen long before the ballot was over.
At work, so skipped the last few pages. Are people seriously claiming Ken isn't iconic? Come on guys, he's more iconic than half the roster. The original clone, known to anyone who even has a passing interest in fighting games.

I'm Mister hates-3rd-parties and even I don't have any qualms with adding Ken as an Echo without the traditional controls. I thought it was weird he didn't get a Bowser Jr-esque alt costume for Ryu in the first place.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, I'm a pessimist, and I have a feeling...

The game is going to be delayed.

Sorry, I just jinxed us. March 2019 is gonna be the new release date.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've also heard talk of Doom Guy, and he'd be exciting too
If we get a Bethesda character, I have one option for that.
It's interesting what causes us to get hyped for characters. I would be really hyped if King K Rool would appear (I'm 99% he won't), but I don't even have much history with the character. I only played the original DK game on the old systems a few times and watched the cartoon once or twice. But when people starting throwing around movesets for him pre Sm4sh, I was immediately on board. Regardless of what characters "deserve" spots in Smash, I think King K Rool would be such a funny, dorky character that you can't help but love.

So what gets you excited for your most wanted newcomers??
For me - I love Bethesda, I love immersive RPGs, I love the medieval/fantasy setting, and I love the Nordic aesthetic. Basically, Dovahkiin is everything I love about fantasy rolled into one awesome dragonslayer, with an epic helmet and iconic attack to boot.

And now, with Skyrim being one of the demo titles for the Switch to prove that Nintendo was ready to play with the big boys, and the fact that the game actually did well in Japan...it makes him seem possible. Before the port, I wouldn't have even considered it. Now...I want to see him Shout down Ridley in Smash!

Just the thought of him being in Smash and FUS RO DAHing characters off the edge makes me smile. Doubly so to imagine Kirby wearing the helmet and doing that in his squeaky voice.
I'm trying to temper my expectations because of my most wanteds being unlikely...
You and me both, brother...

---

Dragonite, Eevee and all evolutions as alt coatumes eg bowser jr style, Gyrados, Meowth, Clefairy, Psyduck, Alakazam, Polywrath, Arcanine just to name a few.
:059:! one of my all-time favorites!

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a genwunner (I guess more like a gentwoer) since G3 was the one that started to turn me off. I'm loving the Pokémon we have in Smash so far - it's not like the Gen 1 mons are nonexistant in later gens. Granted, I could do without a handful of them, but just leave Squirtle and Mewtwo and I'm good.

Arcanine though...I wish they would give him more love. When Vulpix/Ninetails got Alola forms, I expected Growlithe/Arcanine would as well - I remember a fake leak that offered a water version of both. I am royally pissed that was fake.

I'd love to see an Arcanine Pokéball, though. I envision him using Extremespeed to run around the stage and chomp foes with Fire Fang. Also, based on Let's Go...

Rideable!
What modes are y'all hoping to be revealed in the direct?
A new adventure mode - I think the SSE is a bit much, but maybe a branching-type of Melee's?

Actual classic mode. Also a Switch Smash like the battle at the end of Tour.

And the return of Smash Run. I don't like the powers used in customization, but I did like running to get the power-ups.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If Ken is a DLC Echo I'm not paying for him. Thats really all I have to say on the subject.

DLC Echos are just a bad idea.
well, i have a solution for that... DLC echoes are free or bundled with another newcomer, Free original newcomers DLC are paid.

You are both wrong.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I mean... do people consider doraemon anime?
if yes, do people consider dorameon fundamentellay different from mario design wise?
if no.... then shouldnt mario also be anime?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Media-only posts are not allowed. Please reply with sufficient context/sentences as well.
So, I'm a pessimist, and I have a feeling...

The game is going to be delayed.

Sorry, I just jinxed us. March 2018 is gonna be the new release date.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
You know what i'm hoping to see in Smash Ultimate that no one ever talks about?

More customization options.

I'm talking a customizable menu, The option to change the roster order, multiple announcers, etc.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd be hyped for K. Rool, but at this point I'd love for someone out of left-field as well. Surprises are fun, and it'd be great so shake up the current prediction patterns.

I'd also really like information on some new stages! As great as it is having so many classic ones back, I hope they still have a few neat additions up their sleeves.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
If we get a Bethesda character, I have one option for that.

For me - I love Bethesda, I love immersive RPGs, I love the medieval/fantasy setting, and I love the Nordic aesthetic. Basically, Dovahkiin is everything I love about fantasy rolled into one awesome dragonslayer, with an epic helmet and iconic attack to boot.

And now, with Skyrim being one of the demo titles for the Switch to prove that Nintendo was ready to play with the big boys, and the fact that the game actually did well in Japan...it makes him seem possible. Before the port, I wouldn't have even considered it. Now...I want to see him Shout down Ridley in Smash!
I'm still 99.9% that would never happen, I would totally be down with Dovahkiin in Smash. Especially since there are 8 main races to choose from, each race could be a different color: Altmer, Argonian, Breton, Bosmer, Dunmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Nord....

Would Fus Ro Dah be his special move that launches opponents back and has a windbox, or would he have that as an epic final Smash that launches anyone in front of him into the blast zone?

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Like I don't even mind and I fully expect to get more popular characters. Just for me it'd be boring if all the newcomers were ones we were talking about constantly and expecting. Part of the appeal is the surprise factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom