• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Apparently Verg messaged Loz and Loz posted the PM
Humoring this, it wouldn't be impossible. Disappointing yes, but I can't say that DK being passed over again is something that can't happen if there are other characters that Sakurai found more interesting to him. I will say though that if this is the case that I hope it's a Smash 4 Mewtwo situation and Dixie and/or King K. Rool will head the DLC as the first character(s) made for it.

What has me more curious is why Loz18 says he doesn't believe it. Has he heard something differently? Or is it just his personal doubts?

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Someone explain the exchange for me here? I'm not really understanding what's being said here. Is Verge asking LoZ if he's aware of anyone else, while saying Simon, Isabelle, and Gen 7 PokeMon are in?
It really looks like nothing substantial is being said at all
"I have a source who MAYBE says its incineroar but i dont believe him lol"
Verg is covering all his bases. If we get Decidueye he'll just go "lol my source was wrong sorry but please keep believing me I promise im important :)" but if we get Incineraor he'll flip flop and say "wow I guess he was right after all, either way I posted it so I get the credit :)"

Compared to the Gematsu leak, which was very direct about who's getting in and was extremely believable till Robin and Falcon blew him out of the water, this Verg guy is a complete fraud.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Man, that Verge post is seriously deflating to read. DK getting screwed over AGAIN? Incineroar actually being the rep and not Tapu Koko or Rowlet or ANYTHING? I've gone from cautiously believing in Verge to eagerly hoping he's wrong.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Honestly? I don’t believe any leaker who says they’ve seen the direct before it hits. I imagine Sakurai keeps those directs under a very tight metaphorical lock and key, and no “I’ve seen the direct before and here’s what happens:” leak has ever been right iirc
Actually there was someone who had seen the Smash portion of the E3 event and posted the details a few hours before it launched on 4chan. Granted, it was only a few hours but still

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At the very least, if there’s no DK newcomer in the base roster, there’s always the possibility of DLC.

In fact for Ultimate I expect them to do a “seasons” of DLC throughout the Switch’s lifespan, a la Street Fighter V and TEKKEN 7. The Switch is insanely successful so it’s doubtful we’ll get Smash 6 any time soon.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Funnily enough, loz18 was the whole reason I came to Smashboards in the first place since I saw his leak, got interested and found myself here. So I'm inclined to believe he's more reliable, especially now Vergeben's coming to HIM for answers.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Donkey Kong once again not getting any new characters would be... disappointing to say the least.
I'm not surprised about it at all though. Dixie Kong may be a last second Echo Fighter, but I've been among the opinion that Ridley is the major American roster pick, and K. Rool, who comes after him, is going to be passed up. He has a fanbase in America and Japan, sure, but neither side is large enough.

A shame, but there's always DLC.
Wouldn't be surprised if K.Rool gets passed up again, as sad as that may be. A shame because I want both Simon and K.Rool but only one can happen it seems, since Simon is tied to Verge.

If he goes public with this a good portion smash fanbase will probably turn on him most likely.
Man, it's almost as if I called it.

I've talked about how this full roster is going to be controversial, and we're about to see this in full effect.

Get out your popcorn everyone, and prepare to take a trip to the good old Salt Mines.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Someone explain the exchange for me here? I'm not really understanding what's being said here. Is Verge asking LoZ if he's aware of anyone else, while saying Simon, Isabelle, and Gen 7 PokeMon are in?
It says that it was sent by Vergeben.

So, apparently the character he is guessing at is in fact Incineroar (it was one source).

However, I doubt they know anything about the direct. LOZ18 wasn’t even aware about it’s details since he stated that it was supposed to be on the 12th according to his.

Sakurai has been tripping people up so they won’t make any leaks.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Honestly? I don’t believe any leaker who says they’ve seen the direct before it hits. I imagine Sakurai keeps those directs under a very tight metaphorical lock and key, and no “I’ve seen the direct before and here’s what happens:” leak has ever been right iirc
Except the E3 Direct got leaked, and before that the Switch reveal Direct got leaked, so it is possible, just there's pretty much no way to tell the actual legitimate ones from the bull**** until after the fact.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Let's hope tomorrow breaks Verge.

Also, if K.Rool isn't in this time around, I will be genuinely angry. If I can't have Geno, at least give me my big, green krocodile boi. He honestly makes more sense.

Please, Sakurai?

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman

Loz hates Vergeben so I am not surprised.

Also I would be extremely devastated if Dixie Kong doesn't get a in. Heck, forget Dixie for a second, WHY NOT K ROOL?! I don't care that much about him but I can't deny he is one of the most highly requested.

I'm not surprised though, look at Waluigi. We can all sit here and make excuses that Waluigi doesn't have real fans but that is a lie. He has been requested since Brawl

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Omega Tyrant Omega Tyrant , can you pull up that recent post of your's that said that most of our popular picks during speculation aren't as big as we make them out to be? I think it'd be good if everyone could see it again.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
It really looks like nothing substantial is being said at all
"I have a source who MAYBE says its incineroar but i dont believe him lol"
Verg is covering all his bases. If we get Decidueye he'll just go "lol my source was wrong sorry but please keep believing me I promise im important :)" but if we get Incineraor he'll flip flop and say "wow I guess he was right after all, either way I posted it so I get the credit :)"

Compared to the Gematsu leak, which was very direct about who's getting in and was extremely believable till Robin and Falcon blew him out of the water, this Verg guy is a complete fraud.
He really couldn't cover himself if any of Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc got in, he attributed their disconfirmation to his Smash sources, the ones he claims he got his other Smash information from.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
For people like me who can't keep track, what did Loz leak?

Going off of their conversation, it doesn't seem like they agree on anything they're being told.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
It likely means nothing. People have retweeted Directs in the past and nothing came of it.

Remember that time the director of Xenoblade (or something) retweeted the Sm4sh July livestream reveal and we thought we'd get Shulk but we didn't?

Because I sure do.
I remember it turned out he also worked on F-Zero, and Captain was revealed there.

Shroob

Sup?
For people like me who can't keep track, what did Loz leak?

Going off of their conversation, it doesn't seem like they agree on anything they're being told.
The standard Simon+Isabelle+Incinaroar with Verg hearing that DK wasn't getting any newcomer, with Loz in disbelief of that claim.

Wambo

Smash Ace
If K.Rool isn't in at release, he better damn well be the first DLC character revealed. We need to play the Mewtwo card again and convince Sakurai that he essentially promised K.Rool to us with something like the Mii costume/ballot stuff. If I remember correctly, the only reason Mewtwo came back was because a fan asked Sakurai if he was and he accidentally said something to confirm him, hence why a ****-ton of people got angry when SSB4 came out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I remember it turned out he also worked on F-Zero, and Captain was revealed there.
Did the Xenoblade director retweet the announcement for when Shulk was actually announced (a Japanese 3DS one in august that year that later had the English trailer show up on the site) or no? I don’t remember

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
OK so Crunchyroll retweeted the direct announcement, and I just wanted to share my thoughts on it.
What are the chances that they will announce a new Kid Icarus series in the Smash direct (along with a Kid Icarus newcomer of course) that will be hosted on their website? I don't know anything about how the site works, so I'm just assuming that would make sense.
In all likelyhood they are likely just retweeting it because they and their audience are nerds, but it'd be cool anyway.

Untouch

Smash Master
What has loz even leaked in the past, I keep seeing that people say he's reliable but I haven't seen proof. He even said that his source got the date of the direct wrong.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
If K. Rool doesn't end up in the base game, I truly hope the fallout won't be too terrible. I know just how much people have wanted him for Smash Ultimate. The salt mines will collapse in on themselves, goodness.

Shroob

Sup?
If K.Rool isn't in at release, he better damn well be the first DLC character revealed. We need to play the Mewtwo card again and convince Sakurai that he essentially promised K.Rool to us with something like the Mii costume/ballot stuff. If I remember correctly, the only reason Mewtwo came back was because a fan asked Sakurai if he was and he accidentally said something to confirm him, hence why a ****-ton of people got angry when SSB4 came out.
A Mii costume isn't a promise, it's a "Hey, here's a reference to that character you like."

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
What has loz even leaked in the past, I keep seeing that people say he's reliable but I haven't seen proof. He even said that his source got the date of the direct wrong.
Lots of little details, like the fact that you pick the stage then the characters, and that everyone was coming back. He was more specific than Vergeben.

Here's a sample.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Did the Xenoblade director retweet the announcement for when Shulk was actually announced (a Japanese 3DS one in august that year that later had the English trailer show up on the site) or no? I don’t remember
I'm not sure, I didn't pay that Direct much attention 'cause of the whole Japan only and it was super early in the morning for me. But I do remember Soraya Saga retweeting Direct announcements when Xenoblade X had a presence in the Directs.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There is so much wrong with this statement.

First, Sakurai never promised us anything. Period. Especially about K. Rool. Are you saying he promised us Flying Men and Megaman.EXE too? Because they were Mii Costumes. Also, if I recall correctly Sakurai never confirmed Mewtwo. He said something along the lines of, "if the demand is there, I'll add him."

Second, we don't know how well he actually did in the Ballot, nor do we know that Mii Costumes are a concession for Ballot winners. K. Rool doing well and the Mii Costumes theory are assumptions made by the fanbase, and are backed up purely by anecdotal data and confirmation bias. Fan Polls are a small sample of the hardcore fanbase, and while they give a general indicator, they can't be used as hard evidence.

I'm tired of seeing this sense of entitlement. Sakurai owes us nothing, and we shouldn't expect anything from him.

Did we learn nothing from Sm4sh speculation? I thought we did, but apparently not.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If we don't get Dixie or K Rool, I'm going to be quite disappointed. They're really ****ing over the DK series hard. No Diddy in Melee, he got in Brawl. K Rool and Dixie haven't even show in ONE Smash game yet

But at the same time, popular names like those two are money and Nintendo knows we will buy them. I'm predicting at least 5 characters on the DLC

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see people overreacting to a possible scenario where K. Rool doesn't get added.

Look, I want the guy in Smash too, but it feels like K. Rool has become this, "I won't be completely satisfied until he gets in" character. It's really annoying, especially since we already have every cut character returning and the long-awaited Ridley. I totally understand that it hurts to think of getting burned once again, but we were never guaranteed K. Rool to begin with. Acting as if he was an absolute shoo-in because of his popularity was disaster just waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom