• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, if we're getting more than 8 costumes, bring 'em on. I used to favor an Argonian back in Morrowind, but I always end up back at a Bosmer. Skyrim's really making me reconsider Nords and Orcs though...

---

Ok, so assuming the boards actually decide to let us post, here's another tier list game we can play... 10 characters you want, divided into tiers based on how much they'd hype you:

S Tier - One character that would hype you so much you'll never ask Sakurai for anything again.
A Tier - Two characters
B Tier - Three characters
C Tier - Four characters who may not really hype you much individually, but you'd still love to see.

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa
B - Tails, Ivy (Soul Calibur), Spring Man
C - Buzzwole, Isabelle, Skull Kid, Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Good luck everyone - Hope you all get to see your S-Tier in game!
S - Elma
A - Bandana Dee, Twintelle
B - Rex & Pyra, Chrom, Simon
C - Chorus Kids, Isabelle, Buzzwole, Dixie Kong

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If Smashboards survived Smash 4 not having Mewtwo, Ridley, or K. Rool in its launch roster, I think it can survive Smash Ultimate not having K. Rool.

That being said, I would be extremely surprised if Smash Ultimate didn't have K. Rool. Between the domination of the Smash Ballot and the Mii Costume, he's the closest thing to a lock that isn't Inkling.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Well in some information unrelated to the Direct, apparently the demo build at E3 and other events is from May, and the current build is already vastly different, with there even being changed animations.

Here's the source and JC comments later in the thread to confirm it.
Color me intrigued. I wonder if it'll be an Odyssey situation where the game already looked beautiful and then it just becomes stunning. We truly do not deserve Sakurai and his team.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'd trade K.Rool and Dixie for Simon, as much as I know all you Nintendo purists out there would hate that. And I love K.Rool and Dixie. Love 'em.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm just desperate at this point. And people are constantly saying that they want K.Rool, so if he's not revealed before release or in the game period, then that's not enough and I really want an answer as to why he isn't possible.
Except it'll be another "waiting 17 years for King K Rool" meme

Espio264

Smash Ace
This has probably been brought up before, but I wonder if DLC Mii costumes were never really meant to be consolation prizes for the characters that were highly requested, but a test to see how well the popular characters that didn’t make 4’s roster would sell. K. Rool, Ashley, Takamaru, Toad, Tails, Knuckles, Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Geno, Chrom, Viridi, Zero, Lloyd, Isabelle and of course Inklings were all viable candidates for playable status, so maybe the amount of sales each costume got played a role in Sakurai’s considerations for Ultimate.

Also, my thoughts for tomorrow’s reveal (at least one of them) is somebody from that list (Knux and Takamaru excluded).

Or maybe he’ll give us:

TINY BLACK KNIGHT

4CF1512B-18FE-4EDE-BCAC-B146793C2590.png

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm a harsh critic of Verg and I've basically been rooting for him to be correct anyway, lol. So forgive me if I find it pretty funny to see people who have been annoyed at how harsh I've been on Verg suddenly wishing he was wrong just because they no longer like what he has to say.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Hey, if we're getting more than 8 costumes, bring 'em on. I used to favor an Argonian back in Morrowind, but I always end up back at a Bosmer. Skyrim's really making me reconsider Nords and Orcs though...

---

Ok, so assuming the boards actually decide to let us post, here's another tier list game we can play... 10 characters you want, divided into tiers based on how much they'd hype you:

S Tier - One character that would hype you so much you'll never ask Sakurai for anything again.
A Tier - Two characters
C Tier - Four characters who may not really hype you much individually, but you'd still love to see.

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa

S: Lip
A: Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario
B: Kamek, Magolor, King K. Rool
C: Rex, Isaac, Gen 8 Pokemon, Dixie Kong

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

---

A Tier - Two characters

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa

S-

A-

B-

C-

I'd like to get at least 2 of these characters from my wishlist by the final roster, but I'm pretty much already set with everybody returning.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If we don't get Dixie or K Rool, I'm going to be quite disappointed. They're really ****ing over the DK series hard. No Diddy in Melee, he got in Brawl. K Rool and Dixie haven't even show in ONE Smash game yet

But at the same time, popular names like those two are money and Nintendo knows we will buy them. I'm predicting at least 5 characters on the DLC
Blame Nintendo for their horrendous misuse of the extended DK cast and the franchise as a whole, not Sakurai. Sakurai has to juggle over two dozen other franchises many of which have prime newcomer candidates of their own (in terms of either popularity or moveset potential) not to mention adding in new franchises as well as taking care of existing veterans. Nintendo are the ones who easily have the capacity to utilize the likes of Dixie/Rool/Cranky/Funky to much greater extents than they currently do yet are content with sitting on their ass letting a well liked cast of characters go to complete waste.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well in some information unrelated to the Direct, apparently the demo build at E3 and other events is from May, and the current build is already vastly different, with there even being changed animations.

Here's the source and JC comments later in the thread to confirm it.
This is certainly interesting.

We at least know the current state of the game when it was first announced, and how development is going, which in just after just 2 months, the development of this game is going very smoothly to have drastic differences from May.

So I expect to see some differences from the E3 build in the upcoming direct.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smashboards runs about as well as my 81 year old grandmother, which is to say, not at all.

Regardless, we only have about 12 hours until the Direct. Watch out for any last minute leaks I figure.
I'll probably be doing other stuff than surfing here anyway. It takes 100 years to post anything as it is right now.

---

A Tier - Two characters

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa

S - Captain Syrup (hey, I picked someone near-impossible for a reason)
A - Shantae, Rayman
B - Dixie, Captain Toad, Mona
C - Simon, Crash, Spyro, Medusa

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So, with all this Verg-Loz drama going on and everyone taking sides and choosing who to believe, here's Pollyana (I Believe in You)

Give this a listen while deciding on who to believe between Vergeben, Loz18, or just your favorite character.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm a harsh critic of Verg and I've basically been rooting for him to be correct anyway, lol. So forgive me if I find it pretty funny to see people who have been annoyed at how harsh I've been on Verg suddenly wishing he was wrong just because they no longer like what he has to say.
Yeah, I all the sudden find myself liking posts blasting Verg critics. The no DK reps is not a point against his validity at all (and K Rool is my #1 wanted and Im already a Verg-skeptic)

TailsTheAssassin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4398 2362 0516
Just gonna say this because it seems people are getting confused. Loz believes what Verge said about Simon and Isabelle. It's the recent information that he's unsure of. Especially the no K. Rool thing. But both of them are confused about that anyways.

So in short, Loz and Verge are still on the same page relatively.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Simply put, Vergeben don't trust the information. It's not a mark against his already dubious record since he is taking precautions not to believe it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Mii Costume theory stuff would explain why Knuckles is an Assist Trophy

Espio264

Smash Ace

---

A Tier - Two characters

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa

S - Scizor
A - Paper Mario, Toad (Captain)
B - K. Rool, Tails, Banjo Kazooie
C - Impa, Geno, Shovel Knight, Micaiah

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King. K Rool will be saved for the last direct. Ultimate Hype.
Crocodial it up to 11. He will be the closer.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
We know that the demo was made 2 months ago. It's on the title screen.
Vergeben first posted his info 2 months ago as well.
I still believe that his source was a playtester for the demo who added info in to mess around with him.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Don't you love these few hours before Smash news, those tensions of excitement and fear
When the Sun comes up, when the Smash logo light goes on
The sudden silence and then the newcomer is here
The shocks and awe and the anxiety gone

Then the disconfirmations also come
4chan leaks getting blown to the end of the blast line
Then the arguments begin and it gets pretty dumb
But in the end the world is once again fine

The cycle will continue, the Smash World will always be covered in salt
And now I end this poem, and if there's any complaints, it's probably my fault

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Hmm.. seems like the blog update time is now consistently 5pm JST, so I think it's safe to say we're only getting our music update 4 hours before the direct unfortunately

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Vergeban followed up:

I did but the info I shared was from someone I recently started exchanging messages with (lupensko, which is pretty dubious in terms of the origins of what he heard I found out from someone else today) that I was curious if he had heard anything similar.
There's no point in sharing it if there's no truth to it.
It doesn't benefit anyone sharing it, but it pertained to things he said about Donkey Kong characters that I'm pretty sure he said as a comment on a thread at some point, so I don't even have to tell you what it is. I was only curious if loz18 heard anything like that.

Other than that I heard murmurs of some other characters recently from some sources outside of my usual and main Smash sources, but I didn't share anything about that with loz18 because he didn't seem to know anything in regards to that anyway. I saw no point.
For those who aren't aware of Lupensko, he's another reported 'leaker' that has said he has different sources from Vergeban, but has collaborated with him on multiple characters (namely Isabelle, Simon, and the non-Decidueye/Lycanroc/Mimikyu Gen 7 Pokemon). He also apparently did get Daisy right according to a user on ResetERA, but I'm having a hard time finding the post again.

Also, it seems like Vergeban is not sure of the information himself as he makes it clear that he was trying to see if Loz18 heard something similar.

Edit: Scratch that, he flat out doesn't believe it.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
The worst thing about Vergeben is the fact that he takes in 100% of what "sources" tell him. Basically he is like 10% right and 90% wrong.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Ugh 12 more hours left guys. This is making me anxious. I'm actually gonna head off to bed since tomorrow is my first day of school. Talk to you all when the internet blows up from the direct.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Smashboards, I'mma need you to hold it together.

The direct isn't even till 12 hours and you're already a stumbly drunk mess who is barely keeping it together.

Learn how to hold yourself together, boo.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
We know that the demo was made 2 months ago. It's on the title screen.
Vergeben first posted his info 2 months ago as well.
I still believe that his source was a playtester for the demo who added info in to mess around with him.
Dismissing largely unsupported claims with more largely unsupported conjecture?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The whole thing is starting to make me nervous

Let's see how things go as the time gets closer to the Direct. Knowing that most of that time will be me working and sleeping, I can expect something BIG to happen tomorrow

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
**** the direct.

I just want my weekly piece of music!

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
For those who want to live chat tomorrow during the Direct, I have a Discord up, some of us were chatting there last time. I'm not going to be on Smashboards during this so alleviate some of the server stress, you guys should join my discord! :)
https://discord.gg/8E8BXE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom