• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wambo

Smash Ace
A Mii costume isn't a promise, it's a "Hey, here's a reference to that character you like."
I know, I'm saying that we all need to just bull**** him. I mean, it worked for Mewtwo. If one fan's question at a convention was enough to spark the fire that made Mewtwo DLC for SSB4, saying something stupid like "how come you'd put in a K.Rool costume if he wasn't actually going to be a character?" could be enough to do the same, even if it obviously doesn't seem logical to us.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Apparently Verg messaged Loz and Loz posted the PM
DK getting nothing at all would honestly baffle me.

I can understand K. Rool getting passed up, even though he's one of my most wanted. Despite his huge popularity, the dude hasn't been relevant in almost two decades now. If he gets skipped on, it'd hardly be a huge surprise, honestly.

But if we're getting no K. Rool, we're also getting no Dixie? She isn't as wanted as K. Rool, but she most certainly has some popularity behind her, has a ton of relevancy as well thanks to Tropical Freeze, and hell, could even be put in as a last minute Diddy clone, even though it would be doing her a huge disservice.

Considering all the complaints about how poorly the DK franchise had been treated in Smash 4 (no newcomers, ten billion Jungle Hijinx remixes), as well as having tons of requests for a DK newcomer for both Smash 4 DLC and Ultimate, having the franchise get absolutely nothing this time around just seems kind of tonedeaf.

We'll see.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sakurai owes us nothing, and we shouldn't expect anything from him.
Sakurai does owe us something...life (cause the man keeps trying to break us with all of his love and care...too much love)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm still 99.9% that would never happen, I would totally be down with Dovahkiin in Smash. Especially since there are 8 main races to choose from, each race could be a different color: Altmer, Argonian, Breton, Bosmer, Dunmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Nord....

Would Fus Ro Dah be his special move that launches opponents back and has a windbox, or would he have that as an epic final Smash that launches anyone in front of him into the blast zone?
I'd imagine the Khajiit and Argonian would be tough with the tails. Still, that leaves 8 options. They could each be different, or based on characters in game, or whatever. And of course, you've got male/female options as well.

I'd imagine that Unrelenting Force would be a neutral special - if only since it's the most iconic move, so Kirby would end up with that as well. But there needs to be a Dragon Call for the final smash.

I made a complete moveset here, with alt costume colors, if you're interested.

But I have to say, a stage would also be awesome. The first day I played Skyrim, I got to see the night sky and it took my breath away. I even took a picture. just because it was the most awesome sight I'd seen in a game that far.
IMG_0071.JPG

I want Dovahkiin with a stage with this background. Seeing that the first night of the game...perfection.

I wonder if dead characters have a chance at all of appearing in Smash, whether it be a playable role or Assist Trophy. Name any dead characters in video games you can think that have the highest chance of getting in, even if the chance is still low overall.

Urbosa FTW! ...and the rest as well, but let's prioritize the Fury of the Gerudo.

Yeah, I don't see any of them getting in. It should be either all four (people would go ballistic at 4 Zelda reps, even if they ended up as franken-clones of other characters), or one switchable summoner, or an Assist for them.
Alright, since no one else is gonna do it, I'll just do it now and look back on how right I was.

My own personal wishlist for SmashU:
:ultsimon:
:ultisabelle:
:ultincenaroar:
:ulttapukoko:
:ultdixie:
:ultkrool:
:ultelma:
:ultbandanadee:
:ultcelica:

and just to cover my bases, just in case:
:ultheihachi:
:ultspringman:
:ultrex:
:ultashley:
:ultshadow:
:ultdarksamus:
:ultchrom:

I feel confident that at least two of these are gonna happen tomorrow, because if you throw 100 darts, you'll either miss all of them, or at least land one bullseye.
Ooh, let me try!
:ultdovahkiin: :ultkrool: :ulturbosa:
...yeah, I don't expect any of these to switch over... Realistically, my predictions for tomorrow are :ultashley: and :ultisabelle:.
and you spelled Incineroar wrong. But John Cena would be proud...

Welp, now I believe Vergeben. "No DK Characters" is such a disappointing concept, and if Sm4sh speculation has taught me anything it's that the most depressing leak is the true one.

Now to wait for Vergy to show us the CSS with "Pink Gold Dark Pit" to settle everything.

Fortunately Squirtle, Mewtwo, and Ridley are already in, so it's still by default the best roster we ever had.

EDIT: Attention Crashboards - stop. I'm trying to post here.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Loz hasn't leaked any characters though?

Or do we view this latest interaction as him denying Simon, Isabelle and Incineroar, while also 'confirming' a DK character.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Even though I'd rather Mimikyu, I'd still be pretty content with Incineroar. It has an awesome design and would totally be a grappler type character. I love me some wrastlin'.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Announcement!
The official thread for tomorrow's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct is up! Feel free to talk anything and everything tomorrows Direct in there! The official link to Nintendo's Smash Direct is also embedded in the opening post so be sure to post while you watch! I made the Direct thread to try and keep this General Discussion Thread less cluttered with reaction posts. So, I definitely encourage you guys to use it. You can talk predictions, hopes, dreams, hype, and yes, reaction posts are encouraged! The thread will be closed soon after the Direct ends so be sure to check in and use it as much as you can while you can! Happy Speculating! And remember, Hype Responsibly!

https://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-ultimate-direct-thread-8-8-2018.457092/

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But if Verg is right.....no Mimikyu. ;w;

Tomorrow is gonna be a long *** day lmao.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know, I'm saying that we all need to just bull**** him. I mean, it worked for Mewtwo. If one fan's question at a convention was enough to spark the fire that made Mewtwo DLC for SSB4, saying something stupid like "how come you'd put in a K.Rool costume if he wasn't actually going to be a character?" could be enough to do the same, even if it obviously doesn't seem logical to us.
Maybe, just maybe...

Bear with me here...

A K. Rool costume was added into the game because he wasn't actually going to be a character and Sakurai wanted to appease his fans in the best way possible.

Mind blowing, I know.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of whether or not it works, no one should be shaming or essentially bullying Sakurai just so he'll put in a popular character.

I know I haven't always been as grateful as I should be with newcomers (especially Smash 4), but Sakurai puts in a lot of hard work to make us happy. I don't think it's fair to make life absolutely miserable for him just because K. Rool might not be in the base game.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Man, it's almost as if I called it.

I've talked about how this full roster is going to be controversial, and we're about to see this in full effect.

Get out your popcorn everyone, and prepare to take a trip to the good old Salt Mines.
I mean if we assume that 99% of leaks are made up, and just copy fan speculation, then it stands to reason that the real content isn't going to match the speculation. People claim "there's no way [insert character here] isn't in the game because [insert reason here]". And then that character doesn't make it in and people start blaming the development for not delivering what they personally dreamed up.

The only real factoids we know on potential content in the game are a couple areas on the fighter mural that clearly suggest a fighter should be there, although there are likely other areas currently more hidden as well, and that rifle barrel thingy Sakurai said he'd be using in his next game, which we now know he meant Ultimate. If it's a character (fighter or assist, perhaps regular trophy) my money is on either Mach Rider or Geno, since the former matches most closely with the item in question, and the latter because Geno has a gun built in. Doubt it has anything to do with the Mii Gunner because even with costumes the outfit is a bit exaggerated for that kind of reference. Now it could be for an item, but unless it's a new one I can't really think of an already existing one Sakurai would need a reference for.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

So Loz18 doesn't support Simon, Isabelle or Incineroar, with a neutral stance (or better) on a DK character.

No offense to Isabelle fans, but if she's an AT tomorrow, I will be so happy for the future of speculation.

Sparklealyst

Smash Rookie
Guys I'm really scared for the characters I'm rooting for this time around like I'm excited for this direct but man i'm getting quite nervous here

All I want to say is too anyone who gets their favorite character deconfirmed in one way. I offer my condolences to you.

Shroob

Sup?
Smashboards runs about as well as my 81 year old grandmother, which is to say, not at all.

Regardless, we only have about 12 hours until the Direct. Watch out for any last minute leaks I figure.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The thread will be closed soon after the Direct ends so be sure to check in and use it as much as you can while you can! Happy Speculating! And remember, Hype Responsibly!​
Wait, what?
Maybe, just maybe...

Bear with me here...

A K. Rool costume was added into the game because he wasn't actually going to be a character and Sakurai wanted to appease his fans in the best way possible.

Mind blowing, I know.
Plz don't Sakurai

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are you people ready!?!?

Because Swamp finally got off his ass and made his very first bingo!

bingo.png

Some of those are a bit personal but hey, it gives me a better chance of a Bingo. :4iggy:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

blazefan519

Smash Ace

Welly well well then. So according to Prince Vegeta, the gen 7 poke will be Incineroar and there won't be any DK Rep? Well regarding the DK rep, I never really saw K. Rool as all that likely and that Dixie would get in over him but if this is true then rip, none of them get in lol. I'd at least hope for Dixie to be a last minute echo if there's no way she's getting in. Oh well, we'll see what happens when it happens. And if there's no DK reps, I really want the fans to always remember that no character is guaranteed, no matter how popular they are.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
OK i saw this vergeben thing i officially don't believe him anymore

because neither dixie kong nor k rool as a base roster but in for dlc possible sounds like bs to me especially since with the costume in smash bros 4

im going to go that the dk rep part is faulty hopefully we see this die now

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Maybe, just maybe...

Bear with me here...

Mind blowing, I know.
Hey, ass, maybe actually read what I said instead of skimming through it next time.

I know Sakurai added the costume to appease his fans. I'm just saying that we play the dumb card, like "hey, by adding him for no reason as a costume, you basically promised us!"

See what I mean?

Iridium

Smash Hero
If King K. Rool specifically is revealed tomorrow, then I will eat a raw onion and drink from some lime, raw. That's how much I feel he won't get in just yet.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless of whether or not it works, no one should be shaming or essentially bullying Sakurai just so he'll put in a popular character.

I know I haven't always been as grateful as I should be with newcomers (especially Smash 4), but Sakurai puts in a lot of hard work to make us happy. I don't think it's fair to make life absolutely miserable for him just because K. Rool might not be in the base game.
I think the best way to treat the seeming absence of some characters is to look at it through the lens of a kid. Imagine that you'd be that kid who heard of Donkey Kong by playing Tropical Freeze, then you see Smash Bros, be happy to notice DK and Diddy, but notice something and ask a legal guardian/parent "how come Dixie, Cranky and Funky aren't in there"?

Granted, it wouldn't immediately benefit K. Rool, but it can give out an impression that many people should be as happy as possible to see their favorites in, and properly motivate Sakurai more honestly than if he were pressured.

I mean, a kickstarter game project got started chiefly because a girl asked her dad why there weren't any lady knights, after all.

blazefan519

Smash Ace

So Loz18 doesn't support Simon, Isabelle or Incineroar, with a neutral stance (or better) on a DK character.

No offense to Isabelle fans, but if she's an AT tomorrow, I will be so happy for the future of speculation.
But didn't he back up Verge earlier? I guess after 2 months time, he's change his mind.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just saying that we play the dumb card, like "hey, by adding him for no reason as a costume, you basically promised us!"
But...

That doesn't make sense, dude.

That's straight up being entitled and trying (badly) to play dumb about it. Hell, this is what Bill Trinen was talking about.

Sakurai isn't stupid. You're treating him like he's seven or something.

Best way to get to him is just to constantly say the demand is there or to get K.Rool in a modern game and get in through relevancy.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It'd just be a matter of not giving their tails hitboxes. It's not like they use it in the games anyways. It'd just seem wrong to not include those two to me.
Hey, if we're getting more than 8 costumes, bring 'em on. I used to favor an Argonian back in Morrowind, but I always end up back at a Bosmer. Skyrim's really making me reconsider Nords and Orcs though...

---

Ok, so assuming the boards actually decide to let us post, here's another tier list game we can play... 10 characters you want, divided into tiers based on how much they'd hype you:

S Tier - One character that would hype you so much you'll never ask Sakurai for anything again.
A Tier - Two characters
B Tier - Three characters
C Tier - Four characters who may not really hype you much individually, but you'd still love to see.

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa
B - Tails, Ivy (Soul Calibur), Spring Man
C - Buzzwole, Isabelle, Skull Kid, Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Good luck everyone - Hope you all get to see your S-Tier in game!

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Dont believe the DK rumor either.

I am happy for Incineroar, but he's my third pick after arrow birb and fake news pikachu

Wambo

Smash Ace
But...

That doesn't make sense, dude.

That's straight up being entitled and trying (badly) to play dumb about it. Hell, this is what Bill Trinen was talking about.

Sakurai isn't stupid. You're treating him like he's seven or something.

Best way to get to him is just to constantly say the demand is there or to get K.Rool in a modern game and get in through relevancy.
I'm just desperate at this point. And people are constantly saying that they want K.Rool, so if he's not revealed before release or in the game period, then that's not enough and I really want an answer as to why he isn't possible.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I'm not surprised about it at all though. Dixie Kong may be a last second Echo Fighter, but I've been among the opinion that Ridley is the major American roster pick, and K. Rool, who comes after him, is going to be passed up. He has a fanbase in America and Japan, sure, but neither side is large enough.

A shame, but there's always DLC.

Man, it's almost as if I called it.

I've talked about how this full roster is going to be controversial, and we're about to see this in full effect.

Get out your popcorn everyone, and prepare to take a trip to the good old Salt Mines.
Forgot that K.Rool and Ashley could still be revealed Assists Trophies. It must be both exciting and freighting if you are a supporter. Every direct is like Russian roulette D:!!

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Hey, if we're getting more than 8 costumes, bring 'em on. I used to favor an Argonian back in Morrowind, but I always end up back at a Bosmer. Skyrim's really making me reconsider Nords and Orcs though...

---

Ok, so assuming the boards actually decide to let us post, here's another tier list game we can play... 10 characters you want, divided into tiers based on how much they'd hype you:

S Tier - One character that would hype you so much you'll never ask Sakurai for anything again.
A Tier - Two characters
C Tier - Four characters who may not really hype you much individually, but you'd still love to see.

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa
S - Shantae (Although I've never asked Sakurai for anything besides Subspace 2)
A - Captain Toad, Bandana Dee
B - Tibby, Alm/Celica, Springman
C - Hector or Ephriam, Octoling with Splatoon 2 weapons, Tails, New Villager Isabelle

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Well in some information unrelated to the Direct, apparently the demo build at E3 and other events is from May, and the current build is already vastly different, with there even being changed animations.

Here's the source and JC comments later in the thread to confirm it.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm going to opt to not put much faith in any of the leaks; it's more fun that way to watch without a feeling of either "well, I knew that already" or "well RIP, we've been lied to," right?

Then again, it's hard to avoid subconsciously putting faith in them. Reading all of this talk about them kinda forcibly has put expectations of sorts in my mind, ahaha...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

---

A Tier - Two characters

For me
S - Dovahkiin
A - K.Rool, Urbosa
Don't play a lot of Elder Scrolls, but when I do it's Argonian all the way. Yoshi has influenced me that much!!!

Anyways
S - BOSHI!!!
A - Crash, Elma
B - Mike Jones, Captain Toad, Skull Kid
C - Sceptile, King K. Rool, Poochy, Simon

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hello, I'd like to cash in a reality check:

A LEAK ISN'T FAKE BECAUSE IT LACKS CERTAIN CHARACTERS YOU WANT

Just because Vergeben is saying "no DK reps" doesn't mean we have any less reason to believe him. It's okay if you don't want to believe him, but to call him and his claims fake because he says we're not getting x or y character is ridiculous.

Seriously guys, we're better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom