• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
If he loses against captainzack i'm gonna stop watching and pretend he got first and mvd got second
Welp... Looks like Nietono won and MVD got second

You know it's crazy how into the game I used to be, but now I can't say I'll ever miss it after this.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It would be great if everyone hate Ridley because he's broken, after complaining about him not being playable for ten years.
That would be the ultimate Monkey's Paw scenario.

"I will give you Ridley after 17 years of desire and outcry, but he will be despised as being the most broken thing imaginable."

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
"It is not an expected outcome" - Sm4sh EVO commentators

???

Of course the Bayonetta was going to win.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to mention that the only new stages mentioned are from the series of the leaker's own list of newcomers, which seems unlikely.

King K Rool gets Krocodile Kore
Geno gets Star Hill
Simon gets Dracula's Castle
Steve gets New World and the Netherworld
Incineroar gets Melemele Island
Banjo-Kazooie gets Spiral Mountain
and Crash gets Sanity Beach

There's a lot to unpack here. Firstly, Isabelle and Bandana Waddle Dee aren't getting stages, and apparently neither is Ridley, so that means the only new stages would be coming from 8/11 of the newcomers (with Inkling getting Moray Towers). So say Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed with Fountain of Dreams, that leaves Isabelle without a reveal stage.

While it is typical for third parties to get a stage to accompany them, I seriously doubt that minecraft would receive two (quick aside: a Nether stage would be a serious headache to look at). Also, I don't understand why stages for Ridley, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Isabelle wouldn't be added. Especially considering Ridley's fan-demand, and demand for more modern Kirby content. I think the likely event would be Isabelle and Bandana Waddle Dee being the characters last revealed.

But anyways, this roster is absolutely dominated by third-parties, with 5/9 of these newcomers being third-party (which would likely be the prime pick for an E3 reveal.) This whole leak looks like an honest mess.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That would be the ultimate Monkey's Paw scenario.

"I will give you Ridley after 17 years of desire and outcry, but he will be despised as being the most broken thing imaginable."
It's not impossible, considering how wanted both Meta Knight and Bayonetta (and Cloud) were.

Shroob

Sup?
It's not impossible, considering how wanted both Meta Knight and Bayonetta (and Cloud) were.
Let's be honest, after the datamine leak from a few weeks ago, I don't put a lot of stock in how much Bayonetta was actually 'wanted'.

I don't dislike Bayo at all, but I kinda feel like the ballot was a farce.

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
3/4 of those broken characters couldn't be patched.
Smash 4 was so late into its life that there were not enough patches they could generate before they discontinued doing them in the first place before they did it once again to rid of the Miiverse stuff.

As long as the DLC is healthily supported and it doesn't stop getting updates I'd say at least a year after the final DLC character we get, I feel like nobody can truly be that overpowered until somebody finds a new technique.
I was referring to the base 1.0.* version of the Smash games in general. Not really talking about how we should have gotten patches for longer after DLC ended.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I fully expect a character to be absolutely broken in Ultimate. We should stop pretending :4sheik::4diddy:didn't exist and go "Smash 4 had such great balance." I bet you if Smash 4 wasn't patched by January 2016 Diddy and Sheik would have gone +3 against almost the entire cast and the game would be even more dead than Brawl.

Honestly Ridley seems like he's fairly overpowered. Even if he's about as light as Mario, he's still got a lot of range in his attacks, arguably about as much as Cloud. I also saw him performing some pretty strong-looking aerials in his trailer. That's not even bringing up his down special which deals 50%+ AND leaves your opponent vulnerable for a follow-up if sweetspotted, which seems about as easy to land as DK's forward aerial.

I don't think he's gonna be fun at all to play against, at least in the first few months of release.
Ridley Down B has bad shield stun, is useless in the air, it is laggy, and it has a Roy noodle hitbox. It isn't broken, only idiots would get hit by it. What they should be looking at is fireball and side B. Ridley's everything is more practical than Down B.

If he loses against captainzack i'm gonna stop watching and pretend he got first and mvd got second
Grow up.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In the chat I saw this set being described as being "as exciting as a dead grandma in a retirement home."

And I agree.

I also saw this: "My friends are at evo right now, They just texted me themselves and others are leaving the grand finals"

I would also leave if I were them.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
NON-SEQUITUR CHARACTER CONCEPT TIME!
I've been getting back into Fire Emblem Awakening recently (not through a new game, just for the sake of supports), and I've also been looking at gameplay of some other games in the series (namely Fates and Echoes). I can understand the dislike of the Swordfighting Lords (not sure of Robin and Corrin necessarily count), and some dread yet another swordfighter from the franchise. So I've come up with a solution for that...

My proposition for a new, non-swordsman Fire Emblem fighter is the Fell Dragon, Grima. And I don't mean Grima in Robin's body; I'm talking about Grima himself, wings, fangs, shocking human face and all.
~What kind of attacks could he use?
Looking at his full design, Grima could possibly be a lethal attacker on all fronts; jabs using the horns on his head, his multiple pairs of wings, and his unique breath weapon Expiration could be a major factor in smash attacks or special moves. Being the main progenitor of the Risen, he could also use them to his advantage, calling upon randomized classes that appear for somewhere along the lines of five seconds and doing something to help Grima (i.e. a priest or sage heals him, berserkers go after who's first, et cetera).
~Isn't he, like, the size of multiple football fields?
Yes, in Awakening at least. However, he does make another appearance earlier in the Fire Emblem timeline; in Shadows of Valentia, Grima appears as the final opponent in the Thabes labyrinth accessed upon clearing the game, where he is simply known as "the Creation," and poses as the ultimate challenge for Alm & Celica. There, he's still large, just nowhere near the titan he grows up to be in the Awakening era. Plus, lore dictates that he was actually born around the size of a thumbtack, and continued to grow in size as time went on. Grima's size in this game could be downsized in a similar vein to Ridley, and even then, he could potentially be the largest character in the entire game, even moreso than the Space Pirate.

Sorry, Rids.
~What about a Final Smash?
For Grima's Final Smash, it could potentially be a cinematic where opponents are taken to an area where they're confronted by the vastly bigger Awakening incarnation, who then proceeds to unleash his own take on Expiration. The damage would be massive, and could possibly be an instant KO if percentage is high enough.
And there you have it! A new Fire Emblem character who has nothing to do with swords (and another villain, to boot!), with a unique moveset unlike most other characters in Smash have seen yet. What ideas do you have for non-swordfighters from this franchise? (Yes, I expect many Hectors and Micaiahs).

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so we have a leak that says that decidueye won't be playable? the only good thing about this leak is that mimikyu isn't playable either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
honestly my dudes

i need to sleep.

I decided to watch this as my first tournament aaaaand now i feel some kind of way about smash 4 so i'm gonna go sleep it off

Disclaimer for those in the back:
No I'm not serious, lmao
Boi, it was a joke.
So is this post.

It's all jokes. You keep coming in here just to **** on everyone and it'd be entertaining if it wasn't for the fact that this is just a discussion thread that you shouldn't take so seriously loool

inb4 the next "y'all are dumb for expecting things, alright now back onto my perch"

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The best kind of irony.
---
More Yoshi Quotes for Zinith Zinith .
Yoshi: Yoshi Yoshi! (For a second, I thought this die was a Big Yoshi Egg!)
Yup.
Yoshi: Yoshi Yoshi. (My wallet was SO hungry, thanks for feeding it.)
Yoshi is so hungry even his wallet wants food.
Yoshi: Yoshi Yoshi! (I want to expand my shop. I want it to be bigger than Dinosaur Land!)
Obligatory :dkmelee:.
It's like that game was built for me...

blazefan519

Smash Ace
honestly my dudes

i need to sleep.

I decided to watch this as my first tournament aaaaand now i feel some kind of way about smash 4 so i'm gonna go sleep it off
Highly understandable. On the bright side, we may get a reveal soon. Anyways, night!

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I've been getting back into Fire Emblem Awakening recently (not through a new game, just for the sake of supports), and I've also been looking at gameplay of some other games in the series (namely Fates and Echoes). I can understand the dislike of the Swordfighting Lords (not sure of Robin and Corrin necessarily count), and some dread yet another swordfighter from the franchise. So I've come up with a solution for that...

My proposition for a new, non-swordsman Fire Emblem fighter is the Fell Dragon, Grima. And I don't mean Grima in Robin's body; I'm talking about Grima himself, wings, fangs, shocking human face and all.
Looking at his full design, Grima could possibly be a lethal attacker on all fronts; jabs using the horns on his head, his multiple pairs of wings, and his unique breath weapon Expiration could be a major factor in smash attacks or special moves. Being the main progenitor of the Risen, he could also use them to his advantage, calling upon randomized classes that appear for somewhere along the lines of five seconds and doing something to help Grima (i.e. a priest or sage heals him, berserkers go after who's first, et cetera).
Yes, in Awakening at least. However, he does make another appearance earlier in the Fire Emblem timeline; in Shadows of Valentia, Grima appears as the final opponent in the Thabes labyrinth accessed upon clearing the game, where he is simply known as "the Creation," and poses as the ultimate challenge for Alm & Celica. There, he's still large, just nowhere near the titan he grows up to be in the Awakening era. Plus, lore dictates that he was actually born around the size of a thumbtack, and continued to grow in size as time went on. Grima's size in this game could be downsized in a similar vein to Ridley, and even then, he could potentially be the largest character in the entire game, even moreso than the Space Pirate.

Sorry, Rids.
For Grima's Final Smash, it could potentially be a cinematic where opponents are taken to an area where they're confronted by the vastly bigger Awakening incarnation, who then proceeds to unleash his own take on Expiration. The damage would be massive, and could possibly be an instant KO if percentage is high enough.
And there you have it! A new Fire Emblem character who has nothing to do with swords (and another villain, to boot!), with a unique moveset unlike most other characters in Smash have seen yet. What ideas do you have for non-swordfighters from this franchise? (Yes, I expect many Hectors and Micaiahs).

Good concept, but I'd prefer we not get a unique character from Awakening or Fates.

Tiki would do a much better job as a dragon fighter anyways, and has more relevance than Grima.

Highly understandable. On the bright side, we may get a reveal soon. Anyways, night!
Man, now I have to watch it in the off-chance we get one.

Really, all we're getting is Bayonetta dittos and horrible, horrible disappointment.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ridley Down B has bad shield stun, is useless in the air, it is laggy, and it has a Roy noodle hitbox. It isn't broken, only idiots would get hit by it. What they should be looking at is fireball and side B. Ridley's everything is more practical than Down B.
It isn't broken
only idiots would get hit by it.
So what you're saying is that it's perfect for For Glory?

Sorry, Rids.
>It's from NU-Fire Emblem (FE13/14)
You had one job and you blew it out of the water.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
After watching a lot of Ultimate gameplay Smash 4 seems kinda slow.
Maybe not Brawl slow but still.
Especially the knockback, I can't take it!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That awkward spot where you don't really want anymore Fire Emblem characters and think the community with have a universal autistic screech if more got in, but you also want Celica.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
>It's from NU-Fire Emblem (FE13/14)
You had one job and you blew it out of the water.

Good concept, but I'd prefer we not get a unique character from Awakening or Fates.

Tiki would do a much better job as a dragon fighter anyways, and has more relevance than Grima.
Tiki could work too. It helps that she's had major roles in multiple games in the franchise as well. So long as they use her Shadow Dragon design and don't go overboard with Awakening, I'd be all aboard.
Thanks for the compliments, anyhow!

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
That awkward spot where you don't really want anymore Fire Emblem characters and think the community with have a universal autistic screech if more got in, but you also want Celica.
I wouldn't freak if we got a new Fire Emblem character, but I don't think we need one.
Smash 4 really over did it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
God bless Bear for saving us from these garbage finals.

Both of them should've been DQ'd and Niento should've won.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
This grand finals are literally a meme.

This is officially worse than Brawl and I’m not sure how to feel

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Fire Emblem wasn't the series that got the most newcomers in a single Smash game. That honor goes to Zelda in Melee.

Edit: oh, and Pokemon in Brawl (I have to count PT as 3 if I count Zelda and Sheik separate)

But yeah, I get why people would be angry if we got another FE character

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's like that game was built for me...
Unfortunately, if you play single player, you can't play as anyone but a Mii.

And in Multiplayer, while you can play as anyone, only CPUs talk, and the game doesn't save your progress.

Also, Yoshi angrily told me he doesn't need to give money to the person in first place when he landed on my best shop.

Yoshi, your best shop is 5 times bigger than my best shop! It's not my fault that you're putting all your eggs in one basket.
Nevermind that my total value is more than double the person in 2nd... >_>
Heh... Yoshi and Eggs.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just want older FE love. I feel like FE2 got nuked because of the remake and now I gotta be the guy with a torch shooing all the normies away when I say "hey remember Leif"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
God bless Bear for saving us from these garbage finals.

Both of them should've been DQ'd and Niento should've won.
I mean he lost pretty fairly against a pretty good Bayo. It just so happens that now the rest of the stream is boring as sin lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I am reminded why the Smash fanbases is quite literally the worst one in existence.

You don't have to like it but handle this stuff with maturity.

Especially don't try to cover this stuff up as a joke. You're insulting everyone's intelligence with that line.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
damn as soon as i forget EVO was a thing apparently something juicy happens
i always miss the good stuff :roll:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Is it bad that I'm watching the twitch chat more than the actual game?
I am reminded why the Smash fanbases is quite literally the worst one in existence.

Especially don't try to cover this stuff up as a joke. You're insulting everyone's intelligence with that line.
These finals are actually a joke though. Neither of the players seem serious. They tried to stall and hold a live interview on stage until Bear pulled out the rulebook.

These are literal friendlies.

Nothing wrong with two buddies playing against each other in finals, but they ought to at least take it somewhat seriously. This comment says it well:
I don't have a problem with them being gay friends, I just think the gameplay, which we all came to see, is boring.
The commentators just said they're free. They wanted out.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Maaaan, all I was saying was that I don’t care to watch the rest of it because the bayo dittos I had to sit through to that point weren’t real fun, and that the other players had matches that hyped me up more. Sorry I decided to act like it meant more to me than it actually did to the point where I made it a joke.

Never did I ever say anything bad about the bayo players and only just that I personally don’t care to watch it anymore lol.
I’ll try to make it more clear next time that I’m not seriously world shattered about the tournament. It’s literally the first real tournament I’ve ever watched loool

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'm actually looking at plays from Catching Zzs channel to remember why I liked this game in the first place. Just need something after the Bayo salt.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To be clear, are we upset because Bayonetta or are we upset that they didn't take being in EVO grand finals seriously to the point that TO had to come over and tell them to knock it off? I feel like one of these is definitely non-scrubby to be upset by...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom