• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I don't even want or expect Dry Bowser, I just don't think he's out of the question. I'll just leave it at that.

So, if we're getting a reveal at EVO it's going to be tomorrow, right?

What should we be looking out for?
With how much care was put into the Ultimate showing (Items and time battles in EVO of all places) I doubt they're revealing anything.

I at least wanted some high quality competitive gameplay and didn't even get that...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This conversation actually got me thinking. How come Dr. Mario hasn't appeared in other Mario spinoffs that aren't of his own?
I mean, we got two different versions of these things.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My issue with Dry Bowser, is from a personality stand point, it's literally just Bowser. And the only thing he does different is throw a bone instead of a hammer. And Bowser doesn't even use hammers.

Just make it an alt and change the colour of Bowser's fire to blue. It they can change the colour for Bayonetta's attacks,they can do it for Bowser

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
When has Nintendo ever shown anything Smash related at EVO or Gamescon?

I really don't get why people think they'd do this when they've never done it before.
That's kind of my point. A little bit. Nintendo has two really good times to go and show new announcements on two huge stages this month but it's more likely they just skip those and go straight for a Direct. That's so ****ing Nintendo it hurts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I personally think at most we're going to get a dry bones color alt ala Galacta Knight and Fierce Deity Link, but not a full costume or clone.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
With how much care was put into the Ultimate showing (Items and time battles in EVO of all places) I doubt they're revealing anything.

I at least wanted some high quality competitive gameplay and didn't even get that...
Not sure if you've seen it but there was an Arcadian Tournament that Nintendo uploaded. No Items, Stocks, and Stage Hazards off. I didn't really expect they'd do much at EVO since it was only Exhibition matches.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
While I don't know Japanese, I know enough about it to know why Jungle Hi-Jinx would become Jungle He-Jinx. XD

For those who know nothing about Japanese, it's because they presumably wrote "ジャングル・ヒージンクス" (Janguru Hijnkusu) rather than the correct "ジャングル・ハイジンクス" (Janguru Haijinkusu)

Of course, that's not getting into the fact that Jungle Hijinx is called "Banana Jungle" in Japan anyway.
I'm going to say that this is all fake as well! Unless they've got some video/audio evidence to back this up! Then is just another troll wanting some attention!

I'm just going to sit here and wait until Nintendo actually confirms as to whether or not this leak is true!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My issue with Dry Bowser, is from a personality stand point, it's literally just Bowser. And the only thing he does different is throw a bone instead of a hammer. And Bowser doesn't even use hammers.
ackhtually

He breathes blue fire instead of red fire. It homes in on you in the NSMB series.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if you've seen it but there was an Arcadian Tournament that Nintendo uploaded. No Items, Stocks, and Stage Hazards off. I didn't really expect they'd do much at EVO since it was only Exhibition matches.
Thanks, I'll consider checking this out.

Shroob

Sup?
That's kind of my point. A little bit. Nintendo has two really good times to go and show new announcements on two huge stages this month but it's more likely they just skip those and go straight for a Direct. That's so ****ing Nintendo it hurts.
I mean, if it ain't broke.

It'd be nice to get a date as to when the next Direct is coming, if this month at all.

Directs are filmed well in advance, so I hate that they wait until like, the week before they're ready to show it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, if it ain't broke.

It'd be nice to get a date as to when the next Direct is coming, if this month at all.

Directs are filmed well in advance, so I hate that they wait until like, the week before they're ready to show it.
More accurately, the day before.

It drives me nuts, dude. Just announce it a little but more in advance, please.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
So, one more thing to add on to the Dry Bowser debate.
I think it's kinda confirmed that he's a separate character from Bowser at the start of this video maybe? IDK Mario lore is weird.

Anyway, I don't really want him to be in the game nor do I think he will be in. I just don't think it should be ruled out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's still just fire. I even mentioned they could just change the colour of his flame and still be an alt.
In an alternate universe:

:ultdarkpit:
It's still just a bow.
I even mentioned they could just change the colour of his bow/arrow and still be an alt.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So I’m watching EVO Smash 4 finals.

There are THREE Bayos in top 8 and TWO Diddy. There’s also Zero Suit Samus.

But despite this we also have a Lucina and Duck Hunt. Yes... Duck Hunt... in top 8 of EVO. This shows how much the scene is stagnating but at the same time shows some of the different strengths in Smash 4.

Weird.

kylexv

Smash Master

But despite this we also have a Lucina and Duck Hunt. Yes... Duck Hunt... in top 8 of EVO. This shows how much the scene is stagnating but at the same time shows some of the different strengths in Smash 4.

Weird.
And then the Duck Hunt, the Lucina, and the ZSS are the first to go.

We have a top 4 with 3 Bayo and 1 Diddy

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Most of the Mario spin-offs (sports, party, etc.) are non-canon. Seeing Bowser and Dry Bowser separate in those games means nothing
woah woah woah woah woah
hold the phone

Mario has a canon?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Most of the Mario spin-offs (sports, party, etc.) are non-canon. Seeing Bowser and Dry Bowser separate in those games means nothing
Yeah, I know. The main thing I was getting at mentioning Mario Party Island Tour was that Bowser specifically referred to Dry Bowser as a "close family friend". At the end of the day though, it's still just a Mario spin-off and who knows what the original Japanese version said.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm going to say that this is all fake as well! Unless they've got some video/audio evidence to back this up! Then is just another troll wanting some attention!

I'm just going to sit here and wait until Nintendo actually confirms as to whether or not this leak is true!
It's such a shaggy dog story.

They went through all that trouble to write the leak in Japanese (albeit badly), then got the names wrong anyway. :laugh:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace

Weird.
Bayo is beyond broken so there's that.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In an alternate universe:

:ultdarkpit:
It's still just a bow.
I even mentioned they could just change the colour of his bow/arrow and still be an alt.
Dark Pit has a different personality to Pit. Him doing a peace sign would make no sense

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
woah woah woah woah woah
hold the phone

Mario has a canon?
Nope. Miyamoto actually spoke of this factor; he treats them as something close to actors who can do just about anything. This is why they can battle each other in Galaxy and then play some sports later. There is no real canon to begin with. It all exists. However, stories still have continuity/sequels. So there's still some story order.

But yeah, the whole 'spin-off thing is not canon" isn't really correct. They're still spin-offs because they aren't part of the mainline-based series. Has nothing to do with the canon, however. For instance, Sonic Battle is a spin-off fighting game. It's still part of the Sonic canon and even takes place during the Modern era. And directly has continuity with Heroes too. But you get the idea.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh well Duck Hunt, Lucina, and ZSS are out. And we have Three Bayonettas, IN TOP 4 (with Diddy).

And that folks is how Smash 4 is gonna end at EVO, sad indeed, but Ultimate is looking like it’s going to have the time of it’s life next year, hoping it has very balanced meta, it looks exciting already!

Also

EVO JOYCONS!
I bet they cost like 60 though, and I don’t even have enough for a Switch, lol.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Weird.
One Diddy now.
Idc man, MVD did good
what a dude

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 still has untapped potential for some of the characters and Bayo's even fun to watch with some players (like Mistake) but I guess Smash 4 will start it's slow ride down now.

But I wonder how long 4 will last after Ultimate comes out (because it will).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Seeing this kind of result is a mix of therapeutic and depressing for me. I've long argued we ban too much and that it hurts diversity. Smash 4, where we banned so many perfectly fine stages and banned customs, now we have this big final showcase that is a wall of Bayonetta played almost exclusively on Smashville and Town and City. It's like "I was right" but also "how can I possibly prevent this from happening in Ultimate?". It's a hard situation...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Playing some Fortune Street 'cause I was in the mood (against CPUs with chatter on).

Apparently going through Warp Pipes gives Yoshi Motion Sickness...
Also Waluigi hates walking.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I know of a timeline, but a canon?
that's reaching.

Yeah
I remember when clones shared the exact same victory poses.
oh wait they dont
That's why I mentioned it????

I'm saying Dry Bowser should just be an alt because there's no reason for him to be an Echo

You mentioned blue fire

I mentioned they can just change the colour without changing anything (like with Bayonetta)

You mentioned Dark Pits arrows

So I pointed that Dark Pit had a different personality which is why he's an echo and makes sense as an echo.

Dry Bowser does everything Bowser does and has the same personality. That's why he should be an alt. He's just Bowser with no skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom