• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I remember Verge saying something about 6 newcomers after the E3 presentation. Does anyone remember if it was 6 newcomers total (incl. Inkling, Ridley and Daisy), or 6 more newcomers (not incl. Inkling, Ridley and Daisy)?

Because if it's the first one, we know the roster: the three E3 reveals, Simon, Isabelle and Gen 7 Pokemon.

If it's 6 more newcomers, we have 3 slots left.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Smash Bros.
Not getting a Pokemon newcomer.

I'm not saying it can't happen.
But come on guys, let's be real.
It can happen. Trends can always be broken. Besides, we got three cut veterans from Pokemon back.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Vergeben has another update.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145?jumpto=83#83

"Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokemon character."

Sigh, now I'm hoping these rumors are fake even if I want Simon because I'll be disappointed that newcomers were spoiled again.
I'm calling bull****. If Vergeben actually knew for a fact which Pokemon it was, and that it wasn't Decidueye, he'd spill the beans on which one it was then and there. The guys too much of an attention sponge to not want to soak up the spotlight like that. He's banking on an educated guess to boost his credibility, and if it turns out to be wrong? Whoops! That wasn't one of my trusted sources guys! But let me tell you about what I just heard...

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Smash Bros.

It's getting 3 in a sense and there are supposedly fewer newcomers this time. It's not that crazy.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I'm calling bull****. If Vergeben actually knew for a fact which Pokemon it was, and that it wasn't Decidueye, he'd spill the beans on which one it was then and there. The guys too much of an attention ***** not to soak up the spotlight like that. He's banking on an educated guess to boost his credibility, and if it turns out to be wrong? Whoops! That wasn't one of my trusted sources guys! But let me tell you about what I just heard...
Yeah, Vegeben isn't the type of person who would be quiet about a character, especially since he loves to just blurt out what's going to happen. If it were Loz18 who said this, I would believe it a bit.

D

Deleted member

If you're going to try to talk down to people, at least type beyond a third grade level.
I am sorry, but this made me laugh.
I'm calling bull****. If Vergeben actually knew for a fact which Pokemon it was, and that it wasn't Decidueye, he'd spill the beans on which one it was then and there. The guys too much of an attention sponge to not want to soak up the spotlight like that. He's banking on an educated guess to boost his credibility, and if it turns out to be wrong? Whoops! That wasn't one of my trusted sources guys! But let me tell you about what I just heard...
Everyone seems to be feeding off of his attention though.
Like a majority of this thread view him as a Smash deity ever since, and it is incredibly annoying me.
I do not hate Verg to death, but how everyone reacts to him is annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash Bros.

I would like for to happen. Mario and Zelda went a whole game without a newcomer (and for Mario they got fresh faces in :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig::ultdaisy:), so Pokémon can handle doing the same for a refresher next game.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Little miss vergie ben... I believed Simon, I trusted Isabelle, but a 7th gen Pokemon goes against my religion.

My reasoning is that if we are only getting around 6 characters as we're expecting, it feels anticlimactic for 3 of them to be a semi-popular third party, popular Animal Crossing character who doesn't fight and therefore wasn't highly requested, and a 10th Pokemon from a soon-dying generation.

But, if the statement is true, I'm putting my money on Mimikyu. Would be Nihilego for uniqueness but it's a floater so I can't see that happening.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This is very true.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I am sorry, but this made me laugh.

Like a majority of this thread view him as a Smash deity ever since, and it is incredibly annoying me.
Yeah, my most wanted announcement might now be Decidueye just so we can stop talking about him.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Which is why I'm looking forward to the next reveal being NOT Simon. When that happens, he'll lose a whole lot of credibility and we can finally focus on just speculating based off of not the words of one person with ambiguous information, but with what's going on with Nintendo right now.

D

Deleted member

And then it winds up being someone like Marshadow or Poipole just to curve everyone and deliberately make them slam dunk their prediction lists in the trash.
Marshadow would be awesome in smash.
Adorable and awesome.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
And then it winds up being someone like Marshadow or Poipole just to curve everyone and deliberately make them slam dunk their prediction lists in the trash.
I'd... actually be okay with Marshadow.

It'd be neat to have a playable Mythical.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Which is why I'm looking forward to the next reveal being NOT Simon. When that happens, he'll lose a whole lot of credibility and we can finally focus on just speculating based off of not the words of one person with ambiguous information, but with what's going on with Nintendo right now.
But what if the next reveal is Isabelle or Incineroar/Mimikyu/Lycanroc/other non-Decidueye Alola Pokémon? :p

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Vergeben has another update.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76866145?jumpto=83#83

"Decidueye isn't the Gen 7 Pokemon character."

Sigh, now I'm hoping these rumors are fake even if I want Simon because I'll be disappointed that newcomers were spoiled again.
"please let this be real please let this be real please let his be real please let this be real please let this be real ple-"

It's Mimikyu or one of the other starters like Incineroar.

It's not going to be Lycanroc. I'll saw off and eat my own foot if it's Lycanroc.

He's always come across very dark horse, you know like the dark horse that the community tries to paint Mimikyu to be.
Inb4 the true dark horse Buzzwole randomly gets announced and I need a day of staring at the ceiling to recover.

EDIT: I bet if Simon gets announced there will still be people calling Verg a liar. Not saying he is right but credit where credit is due. He has gotten a few notable things correct.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
He has never stated that Simon would be the NEXT revealed character, just that he would be in the game.

Another character being shown before him means nothing.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Honestly, I don't think that's certain. There are plenty of important titles that started development years ago, and we don't know if Sakurai had any info regarding those.

And there's Greninja and Roy.
Being honest that theory was kinda bunk anyway-Sakurai was able to keep the secret of every character returning from even a majority of Nintendo, so you mean to have me believe he would not have had a high enough amount of prior knowledge about Nintendo games in development before public release when searching for characters? Despite them doing just that with Roy and Greninja?
Roy isn't the same situation, Roy was a last-minute clone when Sakurai needed some clone candidates for Melee's roster. And the problem isn't that Sakurai couldn't know of such characters' existence, it's that:

1: The character doesn't exist to the public, so there exists absolutely no known demand for the character.
2: It's a big gamble on how well the character will be received, Sakurai can't foresee if Arms will end up a multi-million seller or another Code Name: S.T.E.A.M, nor can he foresee if Xenoblade 2 will become the most popular entry in the series or become the franchise killer.

Pokemon is the exception because a Pokemon game is going to be a nigh-guaranteed massive hit, the series will always be relevant, and due to the nature of the series there's hundreds of Smash-viable characters while there lacks centralized Smash support for any because of just how many options there are, so he can go with any pokemon TPC plans to market and do well while getting another unique fun character onto the roster.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
It's getting 3 in a sense and there are supposedly fewer newcomers this time. It's not that crazy.
People better be prepared for Sakurai using this logic. Sakurai might decide the Pokemon series has a good amount of representation in its stages, characters and pokeball pokemon.

If we get a newcomer with a pretty heavily stacked Pokemon roster, Sakurai might decide to prioritize a really strong or interesting candidate (Mimikyu, Gengar, another Gen 1 mon, Decidueye). It will definitely have to stand out like Greninja or Lucario as the face of modern Pokemon.
Decidueye, Gengar and Mimikyu are the best remaining candidates due to their potential as unique Pokemon imo.
Interestingly enough, they are all ghost types.
:093:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
......There's people that support Primarina?

Okay, maybe some, but I see more Incineroar, Lycanroc and Tapu Koko, heck, even Ultra Beasts being supported.
Yep, I even made moveset for her too, she's pretty popular, with a good chance to get in.

With Lycanroc there's the hurdle of having to work out a quadruped moveset (obviously, it's not impossible).

While Incineroar has a super obvious niche to fill.

Not to mention that Isaac can fill the geomancer role Lycanroc fills just as well. >_>
Well if MvC3 could make it work for Amaterasu. Then Sakurai could make it work for Lycanroc easily.
*Talks to you from a dark alley in a trenchcoat* Psst hey. I wouldn't mind Isaac taking Lycanroc's place as an Earthbender, if it means Amaterasu can be Top Dog; The Alpha Wolf in Smash if you catch my drift.
But you didn't hear this from me. ¬_¬

Enchess

Smash Lord
I hope one of Smashboards character reveal trailer ideas hopefully my Mio one comes true exactly as written and then the boards all become convinced that poster is a stealth leaker. Then I hope they make stuff and throw speculation into chaos.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be fair there's another character he's said he won't reveal (it may or may not be this Pokemon newcomer). So it is not out of character for him to not reveal anything.

Not at all saying he's got info/doesn't/whatever, but calling him out on what he would normally do, when he's already done this in the past to save his ass, is incorrect. He doesn't always spill the beans (probably because those cans are empty. But here's hoping for Mimikyu!).

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Look at most popular do you see decidueye anywhere

They prefer rowlet

And mimikyu is number
I'm certain you're referring to a singular poll from a certain magazine

You said specifically they gave Decidueye a 'thumbs down', but not only do you have no way of knowing that, trust me, that's not actually the case.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, let's get a reaction.

How would you respond if the Pokémon newcomer was the OTHER Alolan Grass/Ghost type?
image.png

Not gonna lie, I love Dhelmise so I'd be all for it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Look at most popular do you see decidueye anywhere

They prefer rowlet

And mimikyu is number

Unfortunately I couldn't resist
Look man, lets not do this.....we all know the official popularity poll from Japan means pretty much nothing. Most likely, the roster was decided before SuMo even came out. If the game hadn't come out yet then it would be pretty difficult for the popularity poll to have had any effect.

We can look at the mons that were heavily marketed post reveal, anything else is basically worthless when it comes to Gen 7.

How would you respond if the Pokémon newcomer was the OTHER Alolan Grass/Ghost type?
View attachment 155571
I'd probably just have the reveal trailer on repeat for like an hour and just stare at it.

I don't like Dhlemise so.... not that I mind inanimate objects, especially if they are Ghost types, as Pokemon but Dhelmise has no face. Its literally just an anchor with a steering wheel attached. It's pseudo-triple typing is sick but the design kills it for me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Now I wish Goku was in Smash for the Ultra Instinct song alone

View attachment 155571
I wouldn’t care, as I’d want a Mario and Zelda newcomer instead

D

Deleted member

TheDukeofDorks TheDukeofDorks brought up a good point.

Like I know I keep on complaining, but he makes so much leaks probably just for the attention and he likes being in power.

I feel like this thread gives him way too much attention and him just saying "Oh Decidueye is fake lol my leak is true." angers me.

Do not believe Verg all of the time, please.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
The new gen 7 rep is probably Mimikyu. Pretty obvious pick in my opinion, given its execution as a Pokemon.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
If I state, definitively, Decidueye is in, then if Mimikyu, Icineroar, Lycanroc, Buzzwole or whoever gets in, I'm wrong.

If I state, definitively, Decidueye is not in, then if Mimikyu, Icineroar, Lycanroc, Buzzwole or whoever gets in, I'm right.

Smash fans have, like it or not, convinced themselves Decidiueye is the most likely one because they want Decidueye to be the most likely. It's basic confirmation bias. Really, the only thing Decidueye truly has above his competition is popularity, popularity which came about long after the Pokemon newcomer would be chosen. It's honestly a good bet to distance himself from the popular choice, the one nobody will give him credit for getting correct because it's the "obvious" one, and instead leaving himself open to claiming he knew when the less obvious one gets in.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom