• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If Verg knew anything, he wouldn't be vague about it. If he knew who the gen 7 rep were, he'd say.

The dude got lucky with his E3 guesses. That's how I feel at least.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm watching the Soul Calibur VI Exhibition stream and a commentator called one of the players a Yoshi loyalist because they keep picking Yoshimitsu. Immediately thought of Zinith Zinith

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If I state, definitively, Decidueye is in, then if Mimikyu, Icineroar, Lycanroc, Buzzwole or whoever gets in, I'm wrong.

If I state, definitively, Decidueye is not in, then if Mimikyu, Icineroar, Lycanroc, Buzzwole or whoever gets in, I'm right.

Smash fans have, like it or not, convinced themselves Decidiueye is the most likely one because they want Decidueye to be the most likely. It's basic confirmation bias. Really, the only thing Decidueye truly has above his competition is popularity, popularity which came about long after the Pokemon newcomer would be chosen. It's honestly a good bet to distance himself from the popular choice, the one nobody will give him credit for getting correct because it's the "obvious" one, and instead leaving himself open to claiming he knew when the less obvious one gets in.
I kinda have similar thought process when it comes to retros. I originally thought Takamaru would be the obvious retro choice due to his popularity, but I realized how flawed the argument was when I realized the possibility that his AT status in Smash 4 might have discouraged fans from voting for him in the ballot. Now I am banking on Lip this time around with her having a notable and dedicated following in Japan and in the West. :9

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
More Pokémon talk on whom should join and people being embarrassed for/mad at Waluigi fan talk...I’m missing nothing here...
...anywhomst’ve
Did we learn anything from evo yet?
Pit can kill Ganondorf Cloud pretty early (earlier than in Sm4sh at the least)

...also we learned that Nairo and Pit is still a match made in Heaven after they robbed a whole game together

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just because you ask doesn't mean you receive.
"hey man cmon tell me who it is"
"listen i might have told you everything that you asked me but this time i just wanna say **** you. no info this time"
"aw man"

I'm not discrediting anyone though.....its like yall selectively read whatever you want to read.

I've specifically said generalzing is a ****ty thing to do. I'm not going to generalize people in the same thread I say that. I didn't say "all Waluigi fans are bad people cause a few were ***** to me." I didn't even bring up the Sakurai thing. I HAVE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE TO LET THAT GO FFS!

Jesus Christ the nonsense in here sometimes.
What are we supposed to think when you say, and I literally quote:
the Waluigi boys
I didn't know "the Waluigi boys" was known to all as "the people who went ape**** over Waluigi".

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm watching the Soul Calibur VI Exhibition stream and a commentator called one of the players a Yoshi loyalist because they keep picking Yoshimitsu. Immediately thought of Zinith Zinith
I hope it was a remark in jest and not negative in any way...

Funny thing is is that I used to LOVE playing as Yoshimitsu in SC2 because he was fun AND the name association

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not discrediting anyone though.....its like yall selectively read whatever you want to read.

I've specifically said generalzing is a ****ty thing to do. I'm not going to generalize people in the same thread I say that. I didn't say "all Waluigi fans are bad people cause a few were ***** to me." I didn't even bring up the Sakurai thing. I HAVE BEEN TELLING PEOPLE TO LET THAT GO FFS!

Jesus Christ the nonsense in here sometimes.
I never accused you of anything though.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Literally only things wrong were Robin instead of Chrom (though Chrom was stated to have been in consideration at the beginning of development), Chorus Kids (though there was missing data that implied a Rhythm Heaven character was going to be in the game at some point....), and the day that Shulk was supposedly going to be revealed being the day that Robin (and Lucina) had a trailer instead (though Shulk would be later revealed).

Nowhere did the leak claim that the characters on the list were the only characters, so to use the likes of Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, and the last minute Lucina/Dark Pit as evidence of "getting something wrong" doesn't work.
I wasn't counting Duck Hunt and company as evidence. That's still multiple wrong characters and a wrong reveal, which is a substantial portion of what was predicted. If Verg gets that amount wrong with his current prediction, no one will even believe that he had a legitimate source that had access to outdated info like Gematsu.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
"You people." Wow man.

No I bring it up because its a fair comparison. A few Waluigi fans were complete ***holes to me before Daisy got revealed. I'm not just generalizing. As a matter of fact, I'm the guy who keeps talking about how generalizing is a ****ty thing to do. But yeah you be the wise *** and lump me in with blind haters because I dared to mention Waluigi.

People like you make this thread unbearable sometimes. :glare:

"You people." Pffft. I thought better of you.

................what the **** are you even on about?
Just wanna say I'm sorry people didn't read your post and just assumed you were talking about that one Waluigi post, and not the fact you specifically mentioned Daisy which would have nothing to do with that.

I agree with your point that it's not a crime to not want a character in the game because you'd rather anothwr character, especially in a series with so few chances like Pokemon. (Meaning besides gen 1 each gen usually only has the posibility of one character). But like I said I want Mimikyu or Decideueye so that's 50% of my hopes shot down :/ would rather he deny a different gen 7 Pokemon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"listen i might have told you everything that you asked me but this time i just wanna say **** you. no info this time"
"aw man"
If you've never been leaked something I can see why it would seem strange. Don't discount how rarely there is only one middle-man in play, or how information gets held back to protect the source, and therefore assure (or at least not inhibit) future leaks.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean, just cause I don't want Decidueye doesn't mean I'm "mocking" anyone. Not sure if you are referring to my "please be real" thing or not cause people seem to like not quoting who they are talking about for some reason. If you weren't referring to me at all then ignore this.

I want Mimikyu. It is perfectly fine to not want Decidueye because if Decidueye is in Mimikyu won't be. I ain't mocking anyone or anything. I also don't recall anybody saying this when the Waluigi boys were actually trashing Daisy fans.
I wasn't specifically referring to you, but I still think anyone saying "Please be real" to the possibility of someone else's hopes getting dashed is beyond not cool. If he said Mimikyu was for sure not the Gen 7 rep, would you honestly react kindly to me celebrating that? Because I genuinely don't like Mimikyu.

Not trying to call people out as being jerks or anything, I just think people should be a little more considerate with how they phrase things. Obviously some people get a bit TOO into their character supports, but some characters do mean a lot to some people.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pictured below, Vergeben when asked who the Pokémon newcomer is.
My owl died let me meme.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
while i wouldnt be mad by anymean if decidueye is the pokemon rep (love ghost types, and he is cool) people need to stop to act like he is a shoe in. there is plenty of good gen VII candidates. In fact, FFS, even Rowlett have as good a chance as decidueye. (if we even get a new pokemon rep)

I would personally put my sight on pokemons that the pokemon company are trying to market and even then, they can always throw a curveball like Nihilego, Gollisopod or Marshadow and im pretty sure ppl would be happy (heck i know i would love some gollisopod or nihilego)

that being said.., it worries me a little that we could get gengar, as i kinda sick of Gen one pandering (At least Gengar is one of the most iconic ghost types, so that would soften a little the blow and would be way better than.. snorlax, or non evloving eevee)

Still, if i could choose a ghost type... well... you can always add some Gen V representation :3

While is not in the sameleague as gengar.. chandelure is more popular than some people realize.... (seriously, who couldn't love it?)

Honestly gen V had the best ghosts period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
*reads info*

Well not to be a jerk but the Owl never really made sense from the start...

Its only popular via echo chambers from its design being cool.

Which begs to question... do people really like quadruped starters?

I mean because, combat effectiveness aside, biped always seem to be the 'best' and most liked among fans.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't counting Duck Hunt and company as evidence. That's still multiple wrong characters and a wrong reveal, which is a substantial portion of what was predicted. If Verg gets that amount wrong with his current prediction, no one will even believe that he had a legitimate source that had access to outdated info like Gematsu.
"A substantial portion"
Ok, let's play a counting game.
What was claimed that was right:
1. "Animal Crossing Guy" (Villager)
2. Mega Man
3. Wii Fit Trainer
4. Little Mac
5. Mii Fighters
6. Pac-Man
7. Palutena
8. "Pokémon from X/Y" (Greninja)
9. Shulk
10. Only one of Ness and Lucas is coming back (Ness stayed, Lucas was axed)

What was claimed that was wrong:
1. Chrom (Robin got in instead; evidence that Chrom was planned exists, however)
2. Chorus Kids (evidence that a Rhythm Heaven character was planned exists, however)
3. "Enjoy my good buddy Shulk" (Robin was revealed instead; Shulk revealed in the next trailer though)

Now count each. Which is more substantial?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Owl didn't make sense from the start yeah right ok.

The owl was hardly ever the only plausible candidate, but had it happened, there'd be few people claiming how nonsensical of an addition it was.

I see the revisionism has set in already.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I thought Owl was a leaker name before I realized it was just Decidueye. You guys need to chill on these codenames man, I can't keep up.

Enchess

Smash Lord
"A substantial portion"
2. Mega Man
3. Wii Fit Trainer
4. Little Mac
5. Mii Fighters
6. Pac-Man
7. Palutena
9. Shulk

1. Chrom (Robin got in instead; evidence that Chrom was planned exists, however)
2. Chorus Kids (evidence that a Rhythm Heaven character was planned exists, however)
3. "Enjoy my good buddy Shulk" (Robin was revealed instead; Shulk revealed in the next trailer though)

Ok, so he was 23% wrong on claims. That's not subjective like "substantial" (personally I feel >1/5 incorrect claims is substantial, but clearly you feel different. I didn't say they didn't have a real source if you noticed)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*reads info*

Well not to be a jerk but the Owl never really made sense from the start...

Its only popular via echo chambers from its design being cool.

Which begs to question... do people really like quadruped starters?

I mean because, combat effectiveness aside, biped always seem to be the 'best' and most liked among fans.
"Well not to be a jerk, but..."
*proceeds to be a jerk*

Stay classy, Smashboards.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can’t we all make love, peace, and harmony...or just settle all of our arguments in SMASH!!!!

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
"A substantial portion"
2. Mega Man
3. Wii Fit Trainer
4. Little Mac
5. Mii Fighters
6. Pac-Man
7. Palutena
9. Shulk

Throw another point on for getting the term "Mii Fighters" correct, and at least 4 additional points for the Wii Fit Trainer.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This is bait for me and you know it, lol.

Tempted
Lol I can imagine Sakurai going to game freak for a potential New Pokemon character

GameFreak: “Your options are Archer Owl, Tiger Wrestler, Seal mermaid, Rock dog, and spooky Pikachu. Which one is your favorite Mr. Sakurai?

Sakurai: “what about this one in the back?”

Game freak: “Oh that thing, that just a joke one of the concept artists drew up, he thought Dugtrio wearing a wig would be funny.”

Sakurai: “........ I’m taking this picture. I will no longer need your services, thank you.”

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm kinda under the impression that the main reason Decidueye got so much backing was so we could have a grass starter to go with Charizard and Greninja.

AND BEFORE ANYONE COMES AT ME I'm aware there's people who support Decidueye for other reasons. I ain't playin that game. This is just how I feel about it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Owl didn't make sense from the start yeah right ok.

The owl was hardly ever the only plausible candidate, but had it happened, there'd be few people claiming how nonsensical of an addition it was.

I see the revisionism has set in already.
Well I can't speak for others but I was never for Decidcueye, I thought based 7th was going to be skipped over for a 8th gen starter if things fell a certain way.

When that didn't happen I looked back and researched who was actually getting promoted in gen 7.

Mimikyu overall is the breadwinner with Incenroar being the lead starter judging from concept art to now in the anime.

"Well not to be a jerk, but..."
*proceeds to be a jerk*

Stay classy, Smashboards.
But what I said is true is it not?

It's cool looking and... well, yeah.

Stat wise its bad and its ability serves a niche need on a team.

I get why people like it but just because you like something doesn't mean its envisioned to be in Smash.

So no being a realist is being a jerk. Sorry if my tone is harsh but, that seems to be the matter of things.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well I can't speak for others but I was never for Decidcueye.
We noticed, believe me. To this day I still have no idea what you were trying to say with "Decidueye gives me gas" or whatever the hell it was you always said.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lol I can imagine Sakurai going to game freak for a potential New Pokemon character

GameFreak: “Your options are Archer Owl, Tiger Wrestler, Seal mermaid, Rock dog, and spooky Pikachu. Which one is your favorite Mr. Sakurai?

Sakurai: “what about this one in the back?”

Game freak: “Oh that thing, that just a joke one of the concept artists drew up, he thought making a bug absolutely ripped as **** would be funny.”

Sakurai: “........ I’m taking this picture. I will no longer need your services, thank you.”
i had to ftfy lad, the true best outcome for me

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
"aw man"

What are we supposed to think when you say, and I literally quote:

I didn't know "the Waluigi boys" was known to all as "the people who went ape**** over Waluigi".
Your reading comprehension needs work. I said "the Waluigi boys" "before Daisy was revealed" "were ****s to Daisy fans" meaning me and a few others in this thread. It had nothing to do with any fan of the character, WHICH I ALSO HAPPEN TO BE ONE BY THE ***ING WAY, or any person outside of this thread. If people actually read the words being used instead of tunnel visioning "Waluigi boys" then they would be able to understand what I was saying. Unfortunately, it seems better that moderators just censor the word "Waluigi" so people don't throw a hissy fit about it over the mere mention of his name.
I wasn't specifically referring to you, but I still think anyone saying "Please be real" to the possibility of someone else's hopes getting dashed is beyond not cool. If he said Mimikyu was for sure not the Gen 7 rep, would you honestly react kindly to me celebrating that? Because I genuinely don't like Mimikyu.

Not trying to call people out as being jerks or anything, I just think people should be a little more considerate with how they phrase things. Obviously some people get a bit TOO into their character supports, but some characters do mean a lot to some people.
I mean people are going to celebrate every character's inclusion or exclusion. It's just the way it is. I already accept that. Once again, I wasn't celebrating Decidueye not being in so much as I was celebrating Mimikyu's chances going up. It isn't the same thing. Also, Lampy did actively dislike Mimikyu and almost never bugged him about it. So, yeah.
I never accused you of anything though.
Seemed like it from my perspective. You seemed to be agreeing with Ari-whatever, who was calling me out for **** I didn't so I
Just wanna say I'm sorry people didn't read your post and just assumed you were talking about that one Waluigi post, and not the fact you specifically mentioned Daisy which would have nothing to do with that.

I agree with your point that it's not a crime to not want a character in the game because you'd rather anothwr character, especially in a series with so few chances like Pokemon. (Meaning besides gen 1 each gen usually only has the posibility of one character). But like I said I want Mimikyu or Decideueye so that's 50% of my hopes shot down :/ would rather he deny a different gen 7 Pokemon.
Thank you.

Just thank you.

Yeah, I probably could have worded my Decidueye post better but it really doesn't feel like that big a deal to me. :ohwell:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I can't speak for others but I was never for Decidcueye, I thought based 7th was going to be skipped over for a 8th gen starter if things fell a certain way.

When that didn't happen I looked back and researched who was actually getting promoted in gen 7.

Mimikyu overall is the breadwinner with Incenroar being the lead starter judging from concept art to now in the anime.
The only way Decidueye wouldn't make sense, apart from timing, is if it were devoid of popularity, potential, and promotion.

Pakky

Smash Hero
We noticed, believe me. To this day I still have no idea what you were trying to say with "Decidueye gives me gas" or whatever the hell it was you always said.
That was just a joke I made to be silly.

The only way Decidueye wouldn't make sense, apart from timing, is if it were devoid of popularity, potential, and promotion.
It had the timing it has potential but no promotion and that's what the problem is, because we know now at least that Pokemon Company chooses who they want in Smash.

That's how :ultlucario: got in because they pushed him in everything. And:ultgreninja: was probably planned from the start to be pushed.

Being in smash, however, doesn't guarantee you'll mean anything in your own series. :ultjigglypuff: sadly.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Throw another point on for getting the term "Mii Fighters" correct, and at least 4 additional points for the Wii Fit Trainer.
I'd give Shulk more bonus points than WFT honestly. Character from niche game that hardly anyone even recognized on reveal vs character from a household name representing an extremely important part of Nintendo history. I imagine if Labo gets in this time people will act like no one could've possibly predicted it, even though it's not exactly unheard of in speculation here.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It still saddens me to this day that Waluigi supporters harassed Sakurai on Twitter. Now it seems like a crime to even remotely tolerate him, and I fear it likely will seem that way for quite some time.

I don't wanna say they ruined Waluigi for me, because they didn't. He's still one of the more hilarious characters in the Mario games, and should he be in Smash I'll play as him for that reason. However, they definitely ruined Waluigi as a joke for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unfortunetly, it seems better that moderators just censor the word Waluigi so people don't throw a hissy fit about it over the mere mention of his name.
You're overreacting like ten million billion pegs way up there, lad. Like damn try to defend Waluigi and then try to attack other people defending Waluigi harder and now you think they all have to be washed away because "muh hissy fits". I'm hurt, bruv. It don't gotta be like this. :4pacman:

I'd give Shulk more bonus points than WFT honestly. Character from niche game that hardly anyone even recognized on reveal
aw hell yeah i love it when america is the only country to matter about relevancy

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Remind me, Sun and Moon was confirmed February of 2016, right?

Going off of the roster being finalized December 2015, it's very likely Sakurai could pull a Greninja. In fact, I think at that point, he might have very well seen the starters, though I have nothing to confirm that.

Obviously he wouldn't have popularity to go off of, but I feel like what puts Decidueye above the other two Gen 7 starters is that Grass has yet to have a stand alone fighter. Ivysaur is still tied with the Trainer, Charizard had his solo spotlight last game, and Greninja is still very much a water type. If he was going for starters, I think the grass type would be the most likely pick. But I, of course, have nothing to back that up. Just possibilities.

I'd give Shulk more bonus points than WFT honestly. Character from niche game that hardly anyone even recognized on reveal vs character from a household name representing an extremely important part of Nintendo history. I imagine if Labo gets in this time people will act like no one could've possibly predicted it, even though it's not exactly unheard of in speculation here.
Sakurai has stated Shulk was quite a popular pick in Japan..
Wii Fit is obviously far more well known, but I doubt very few people anywhere in the world were clamouring for her.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
If you saw Medusa from Fate / Grand Order, she would probably not want to squeeze a person who smells really bad.
Plus, taking showers is healthy for you.

Do not make me force you even more, OR ELSE.
Which Medusa again? Because the Lancer one is a child so I definitely wouldn't care since I'm not into pedophilia and the Avenger Medusa would want to kill me regardless if I'm clean or not.

Rider Medusa from Fate/stay night tho, she is bae.

Oh and there's the adult Lancer Medusa Alter from the OVA I guess.

D

Deleted member

"You people." Wow man.

No I bring it up because its a fair comparison. A few Waluigi fans were complete ***holes to me before Daisy got revealed. I'm not just generalizing. As a matter of fact, I'm the guy who keeps talking about how generalizing is a ****ty thing to do. But yeah you be the wise *** and lump me in with blind haters because I dared to mention Waluigi.

People like you make this thread unbearable sometimes. :glare:

"You people." Pffft. I thought better of you.
Practice what you preach, dude. I can guarantee that I've gotten more **** flung at me for even liking Waluigi even prior to his disconfirmation from Ultimate than the "few" Waluigi fans who were complete assholes to you.
And if "people like me" make this thread unbearable, then just leave or block me. Simple as that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey man, I pushed Shulk hard in the 4 days. Most wanted newcomer of all.

(Of course, I hate how he actually came out, but that's besides the point.)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm kinda under the impression that the main reason Decidueye got so much backing was so we could have a grass starter to go with Charizard and Greninja.

AND BEFORE ANYONE COMES AT ME I'm aware there's people who support Decidueye for other reasons. I ain't playin that game. This is just how I feel about it.
I support Decidueye because I like Decidueye

He was my first ever grass starter, his other typing is my favorite typing, and he's got a cool, slick, unique design

I still stand by my notion they should have named him Robinhoot though

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shulk was a popular request in both sides of the globe.

People saw him coming before he got leaked.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It had the timing it has potential but no promotion and that's what the problem is, because we know now at least that Pokemon Company chooses who they want in Smash.

That's how :ultlucario: got in because they pushed him in everything. And:ultgreninja: was probably planned from the start to be pushed.

Being in smash, however, doesn't guarantee you'll mean anything in your own series. :ultjigglypuff: sadly.
He's hardly the only one, but if you think Decidueye received no promotion I'd say you've been round little Pokemon merchandise of late. He's a starter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom