• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
aw hell yeah i love it when america is the only country to matter about relevancy
I think it's been pretty solidly confirmed multiple times that while America isn't the only country that matters for relevancy, a lack of relevancy there can kill chances. Didn't Sakurai say something to that effect about Ayumi and Takamaru?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey man, I pushed Shulk hard in the 4 days. Most wanted newcomer of all.

(Of course, I hate how he actually came out, but that's besides the point.)
Unless you're Ryu you will probably never come out I'd say 50% like your source material.
I mean, Sakurai sticks with their main gimmick (Monado Arts for Shulk) and main attacks, but everything else is whatever the **** Sakurai thinks is funny with some action figures or whatever. I don't think Sakurai even knows Shulk's Down Smash is Reyn's War Swing, probably a coincidence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I support Decidueye because I like Decidueye

He was my first ever grass starter, his other typing is my favorite typing, and he's got a cool, slick, unique design

I still stand by my notion they should have named him Robinhoot though
Man, I was pushing for Robinhoot as the name so hard.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think it's been pretty solidly confirmed multiple times that while America isn't the only country that matters for relevancy, a lack of relevancy there can kill chances. Didn't Sakurai say something to that effect about Ayumi and Takamaru?
Yeah that's the entire point you just swooshed through my joke

Last time I checked pre-2014 Xenoblade Chronicles was the **** in Japan.
and also there was like this entire fan group that fanned so hard that's how the localization was even made.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm watching the Soul Calibur VI Exhibition stream and a commentator called one of the players a Yoshi loyalist because they keep picking Yoshimitsu. Immediately thought of @Zinith
I hope it was a remark in jest and not negative in any way...

Funny thing is is that I used to LOVE playing as Yoshimitsu in SC2 because he was fun AND the name association
Speaking of Yoshi loyalists...
Timothy Bishop (NintendoCapriSun) consistently mains Yoshi in TheRunawayGuys (mostly in Mario Party and Fortune Street, though I think he played Yoshi in their Smash games when possible? Can't quite remember...)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Not to mention the game received enough demand from the west to make it over. I'm sure Sakurai took notice of that.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Unless you're Ryu you will probably never come out I'd say 50% like your source material.
I mean, Sakurai sticks with their main gimmick (Monado Arts for Shulk) and main attacks, but everything else is whatever the **** Sakurai thinks is funny with some action figures or whatever. I don't think Sakurai even knows Shulk's Down Smash is Reyn's War Swing, probably a coincidence.
Shulk's moveset was...ok. Monado arts captured spirit of..the Monado arts and the counter was a good way to represent future vision. The rest is pretty random feeling though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The man wields the giant lightsaber like a flipping flashlight with 5 color settings, come ON, Mr. Sakurai.

Even XC2's DLC got Shulk right, and the man doesn't even WIELD it there!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You're overreacting like ten million billion pegs way up there, lad. Like damn try to defend Waluigi and then try to attack other people defending Waluigi harder and now you think they all have to be washed away because "muh hissy fits". I'm hurt, bruv. It don't gotta be like this. :4pacman:

aw hell yeah i love it when america is the only country to matter about relevancy
I actually have no idea what you've been talking about since you first quoted me. I'm not attacking anybody. You came at me acting like I said all Waluigi fans are tools when that isn't even close to what I said. I also am not overreacting at all. You annoyed the **** out of me but thats pretty much the end of it.

If "your reading comprehension needs work" is considered a personal attack then.....I give up.

I'm calling it a hissy fit because I mentioned Waluigi and you come out of left field with "oh the classic hating on Waluigi fans thing lmao,"

I have no other way to interpret that because it isn't even remotely close to what I said in my post. You just read two words and flipped out. I'd call that a hissy fit.
Practice what you preach, dude. I can guarantee that I've gotten more **** flung at me for even liking Waluigi even prior to his disconfirmation from Ultimate than the "few" Waluigi fans who were complete ******** to you.
And if "people like me" make this thread unbearable, then just leave or block me. Simple as that.
Sure, I'll get around to it.

I do practice what I preach. Point me to where I was a hypocrit. Please. Calling out those who liked your post too. Where was I not practicing what I preached? You give me that, because I do genuinely want to know, and I will shut up right there. Unfortunely, no one ever ****ing does that. They just throw out blanket statements and then when I ask them to be specific they ignore me.

So, please, tell me where I am being a hypocrite. I am asking for it.

"I can guarantee that I've gotten more **** flung at me for even liking Waluigi even prior to his disconfirmation from Ultimate than the "few" Waluigi fans who were complete ******** to you."

Yeah, that's totally not a biased assumption to make or anything. :laugh: Glad we are having such a productive discussion.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The only way Decidueye wouldn't make sense, apart from timing, is if it were devoid of popularity, potential, and promotion.
Timing plays a key part, considering the decision would have been made long before any of the gen 7 mons were popular, and probably before any promotional strategies were in place.

I don't think betting against Decidueye is betting against the fastest horse, I think it's betting against the horse that would only become the fastest long after the race in question.

But then again, I still believe we're not getting a gen 7 Pokemon in the first place. >~>

Pakky

Smash Hero
He's hardly the only one, but if you think Decidueye received no promotion I'd say you've been round little Pokemon merchandise of late. He's a starter.
I mean... everyone gets merchandise but few get a song about them to promote the gen and the game they're appearing in.

and there's the anime. Rowlet is not Decdeuieye, just making that clear.

What I mean when I refer to "promotion", is what does this monster get that the others don't?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You just read two words and flipped out. I'd call that a hissy fit.
Assuming extremities is rather prideful of you. I didn't cry Waluigi Noises because of the two words, I used them to counter the generalization argument or whatever it was. Don't go parading like that. This should probably be dropped so neither of us get flamed. Don't even quote back, just don't do anything.
I was never even here.

Did they reveal Simon and Isabelle at EVO?
Even Verg wouldn't try to pull something out of his ass to say they would be revealed at EVO.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently Dark Pit (and by default Pit) has a stronger soul and better willpower than Palutena...what kind of goddess is she?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean... everyone gets merchandise but few get a song about them to promote the gen and the game they're appearing in.

I mean when I refer to "promotion", I mean what does these monster get that the others don't?
The point is Decidueye got promotion too. Like, I don't think it's getting in necessarily(not cause of Verg), but to pretend it didn't get promotion is ridiculous.

Enchess

Smash Lord
A lot of people act like thinking American relevancy matters for inclusion is dumb, so easy mistake to make. Chill.
and also there was like this entire fan group that fanned so hard that's how the localization was even made
Yeah, I signed on to Rainfall and used to frequent forums related to it. Good times.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Apparently Dark Pit (and by default Pit) has a stronger soul and better willpower than Palutena...what kind of goddess is she?
There's willpower and then there's just being a strong beefy lad

D

Deleted member

What I mean when I refer to "promotion", is what does this monster get that the others don't?
Decidueye is in Pokken, it is very popular, and it fits better as a fighter than Rowlet. Yes Incineroar is very popular too, so I see both very likely.
Decidueye also did promote Gen 7 in a way, being one of the three starter choices. What makes it better is everyone loves Rowlet a lot, so it being the final form helps it a bit.
Why are you hating on my amazing owl archer?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm calling bull****. If Vergeben actually knew for a fact which Pokemon it was, and that it wasn't Decidueye, he'd spill the beans on which one it was then and there. The guys too much of an attention sponge to not want to soak up the spotlight like that. He's banking on an educated guess to boost his credibility, and if it turns out to be wrong? Whoops! That wasn't one of my trusted sources guys! But let me tell you about what I just heard...
This is very true.

In reality, I don’t really believe in everything Vergeben says to be true about what’s going on behind the scenes.

However, the reason people are giving a lot of backing to Vergeben (and me for a bit) is because he just amplifies the growing belief of the possibility of Decidueye not being our newcomer. Over time Smashboards and a lot of other threads have began pushing the possibility of our Sun and Moon newcomer to be Lycanroc or Incineroar because Decidueye was barely pushed at compare to those two over the past couple of years, Vergeben, because he garnered the attention and trust he wanted, made the deconfimation of Decidueye to in order to garner even more attention around him because he knows it going to start waves not only with the hardcore speculators who made the assumption of a disconfirmed Decidueye but a shock for the tons of fans that don’t know to start getting traction all around him.

He probably already verified who our next Gen 7 character is, but is doing to this make sure to get as much attention as possible.

Although, I’m just happy he didn’t spoil who it was going to be, because it could’ve taken a lot of the shock and excitement from fans of that character, look at what’s happening to Simon (although hopefully he just amazes me).

Pakky

Smash Hero
The point is Decidueye got promotion too. Like, I don't think it's getting in necessarily(not cause of Verg), but to pretend it didn't get promotion is ridiculous.
I agree all starters GET promotion as faces of the gen, this is a fact. However sometimes of the three one gets pushed a little harder. Also of the 70-100 so monsters in that gen, one might get pushed harder or as hard as the starters.

For example, 4th gen starters had merch and promotion in their day but we know who bubbled to the top :ultlucario: despite Ash not even having one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Timing plays a key part, considering the decision would have been made long before any of the gen 7 mons were popular, and probably before any promotional strategies were in place.

I don't think betting against Decidueye is betting against the fastest horse, I think it's betting against the horse that would only become the fastest long after the race in question.

But then again, I still believe we're not getting a gen 7 Pokemon in the first place. >~>
Timing does play a key part, and I don't think it made Decidueye some nonsensical pick, so I included it, but left it aside. Timing in general is a factor worth noting, and there's usually someone who wants to get pedantic, so I cover my bases.

I disagree about the promotional strategies though. Even if the finer details weren't yet hammered out, the starters are going to get promoted more than most other Pokemon simply because they are starters. Especially beginner and final forms. Those are Pokemon that will safely receive spotlight.

But if you're going to discount those factors as per the timing, that wouldn't necessarily give those other Pokemon the edge. At most it'd make a pool of somewhat equal, Pokemon Company vetted candidates, of which Sakurai could probably choose from. I suspect that's what happened with Greninja.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree all starters GET promotion as faces of the gen, this is a fact. However sometimes of the three one gets pushed a little harder. Also of the 70-100 so monsters in that gen, one might get pushed harder or as hard as the starters.

For example, 4th gen starters had merch and promotion in their day but we know who bubbled to the top :ultlucario: despite Ash not even having one.
Nobody was saying Decidueye was getting pushed hard? Just that it gets promotion regardless. There's more promoted Pokemon, yeah.

...Unless I misread where somebody was claiming he got a strong amount of promotion? If so, my bad for misreading your point.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Excuse me, what?

I played through all of Uprising and in no moment I recall that ever being a thing. Closest I can think of is Hades contemplating on eating Dark Pit's soul and disturbingly complimenting on how tasty and malleable it must be.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I am unfamiliar with this lore.
I had to check out some Chaos Kin Idol stuff after seeing someone state :ultdarkpit: has stronger willpower than :ultpalutena: (and by default, so does :ultpit:), and it states
The Chaos Kin binds Palutena to its will, manipulating her form like a foul puppet
There’s also
The Chaos Kin's unfathomable magic allows it to survive even being burned to ash. In this state, only possessing Dark Pit could restore it to its full power. But Pit's selfless rescue banishes the evil creature into the Chaos Vortex.
That plus her being kidnapped by Medusa (and also not even bothering to try and fight someone like Hades...and her not being able to do much without Pit) questions how she rules anything still
There's willpower and then there's just being a strong beefy lad
Is Pit both, Pittoo willpower, and Palutena beefy?

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I gotta say, I was pretty surprised to see such a big push for Decidueye here, when for me the most obvious choice of them all was always Incineroar. Yeah I know, something something Decidueye is in Pokken, but really, the closest Smash has to a wrestler-type character is Bowser. Decidueye would be a good pick, but I feel Sakurai's going to just get something that's more interesting conceptually (like he chose Greninja) and I feel like Incineroar might be that.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Timing does play a key part, and I don't think it made Decidueye some nonsensical pick, so I included it, but left it aside. Timing in general is a factor worth noting, and there's usually someone who wants to get pedantic, so I cover my bases.

I disagree about the promotional strategies though. Even if the finer details weren't yet hammered out, the starters are going to get promoted more than most other Pokemon simply because they are starters. Especially beginner and final forms. Those are Pokemon that will safely receive spotlight.

But if you're going to discount those factors as per the timing, that wouldn't necessarily give those other Pokemon the edge. At most it'd make a pool of somewhat equal, Pokemon Company vetted candidates, of which Sakurai could probably choose from. I suspect that's what happened with Greninja.
Well, that's what I was largely getting at.

People have convinced themselves Decidueye is more likely than Incineroar or Primarina, but that's largely based on everything that's happened after the decision would have been made. It's not that Deci is suddenly unlikely, it's that the odds aren't necessarily stacked in his favor the way people interpret them to be.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I gotta say, I was pretty surprised to see such a big push for Decidueye here, when for me the most obvious choice of them all was always Incineroar. Yeah I know, something something Decidueye is in Pokken, but really, the closest Smash has to a wrestler-type character is Bowser. Decidueye would be a good pick, but I feel Sakurai's going to just get something that's more interesting conceptually (like he chose Greninja) and I feel like Incineroar might be that.
A lot of Pokemon could be made into interesting Smash fighters. You could, quite literally, make a Smash spin-off and fill the roster with nothing but Pokemon, and it'd be just as varied if not even moreso as the current Smash roster.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Yeah, Smash already has archers. It doesn't have ballerinas or seals. or a literal pile of garbage #Trubbish4Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom