• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would be your reaction if?

Banjo and Kazooie were announced ALONG WITH...

James Bond

I really would be hyped for James, I mean he was considered in Melee (surprisingly) and seeing how Sakurai is probably looking back at it, but seriously, having Goldenye 007 content in Smash would be a blast, not to mention how it was a big part of Nintendo during the 64 era. Well RARE was a big part during that time.
Banjo would be pretty cool. James Bond on the other hand, even if he's one of the few non-video game characters that kinda makes sense, would just open up a floodgate I'd rather keep closed.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Banjo and Kazooie was announced ALONG WITH...

James Bond.

I really would be hyped for James, I mean he was considered in Melee (surprisingly) and seeing how Sakurai is probably looking back at it, but seriously, having Goldenye 007 content in Smash would be a blast, not to mention how it was a big part of Nintendo during the 64 era. Well RARE was a big part during that time.
Never played a Banjo or Goldeneye Game. But Id' love it. Banjo just looks fun. And James Bond in smash Gives me an excuse to make my dad play Smash. (He played Goldeneye as a kid)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Character history.png

Someone posted this on Know Your Meme and it's pretty helpful if you want to have an idea about the gap between character announcements for the last three games. To avoid super skewing the data, the Brawl era was basically cut in half and only counts the days that the Dojo did daily updates.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
View attachment 155491

Someone posted this on Know Your Meme and it's pretty helpful if you want to have an idea about the gap between character announcements for the last three games. To avoid super skewing the data, the Brawl era was basically cut in half and only counts the days that the Dojo did daily updates.
What's with the barnyard cow in the bottom right corner?

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
View attachment 155491

Yeah. thing we went over this a few pages back. Is a pretty nice chart.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
View attachment 155491

"Muh drought!!!!"

Anyway, Sunday night seems like it'd be an interesting time...

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Unpopular Opinion, but I would much rather have Dillon as an Echo of Sonic than Shadow #sorrynotsorry
Not going to lie, Dillon sounds awesome. If we could get him as a unique character then he could have tower defense mechanics and that's not a genre/playstyle we have in Smash yet. Also, I really like his Western aesthetic. #DillonForSmash.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

James Bond.

I'd be ecstatic about BK.

James, however, I would have mixed feelings about. On one hand the Goldeneye movie is fun and game is good (the unrelated Game Boy Bond not being too shabby itself), but on the other I would prefer seeing Popeye as a licensed character, provided that he becomes public domain everywhere first.

View attachment 155491

I feel that the last one would only be accurate if it's posted three months later, if absolutely nothing of note happened in the meantime.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pff you know how much of a kick in the teeth it would be to PSASBR if Ryu, Cloud, Snake, and Heihachi were all in Smash Bros.?

I mean I love PSAS, and the 3rd parties represented in that game are great, but damn at how lackluster the roster looks in comparison to Smash.

Personally, I don't know if it'll be as hype if Heihachi gets in, as much as he's my favorite Tekken character, but imagine if Sub-Zero or, preferably, Scorpion was announced. It would blow the **** up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pff you know how much of a kick in the teeth it would be to PSASBR if Ryu, Cloud, Snake, and Heihachi were all in Smash Bros.?

I mean I love PSAS, and the 3rd parties represented in that game are great, but damn at how lackluster the roster looks in comparison to Smash.

Personally, I don't know if it'll be as hype if Heihachi gets in, as much as he's my favorite Tekken character, but imagine if Sub-Zero or, preferably, Scorpion was announced. It would blow the **** up.
That'd be great, honestly.

Although it's a pity that PSAS is the last big noteworthy thing for folks like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ape Escape's Spike to show up in. It feels less like an all-stars crossover and more of "here's the last chance for our has-been mascots to leave their mark before being locked in our vault forever", even if some of said mascots got to have their series revived some time afterwards (not the three I mentioned).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
More straightforward fighting games don't mesh well with Smash in my eyes. I agree with Sakurai's past statement about fighting game characters in Smash, even if it seems like it was mistranslated or something. Ryu still feels out of place to me, so I wouldn't be big on seeing someone like Heihachi or Scorpion or something. This is just my sentiment, but those kind of worlds feel closer to the comic-book variety, which is why those Marvel and DC crossovers work so well.

The exceptions imo would be characters from atypical fighters, art design-wise. Like Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/Skullgirls, etc.

Most people don't seem to agree with this mentality anymore, though believe me, before Ryu it was a different story. Then again general Smash opinion changing with the wind is not super shocking at this point.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There is only one BK for smash.
View attachment 155502
We need more king/royal characters.

In fact, story mode needs to involve kingdoms. Kinda like Mario Odyssey, but Nintendo-wide. Ganondorf (and Zelda), King Koopa (and the Princesses), King Dedede, King K. Rool, Burger King
Fire Emblem also consists of royalty

Nintendo faction war let's go

EDIT:
The more I think about it the more I want this unironically

I also pretty badly want Bowser's kingdom to be a stage haha

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Unpopular Opinion, but I would much rather have Dillon as an Echo of Sonic than Shadow #sorrynotsorry
I would rather have Dillon as well, but he wouldn't really fit over Sonic's skeleton. Sonic even does a few things Dillon's model just wouldn't be able to, like using his spikes in his u-throw.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Something semi-interesting to note, the weekly review that usually gets posted in the News section for Switch seems to be a tad late. It usually gets sent out fairly early on Friday from what I’ve observed, but today it has yet to appear.

Perhaps they are holding it for some kind of announcement‽‽‽‽‽

...probably not, but it’s fun to think about. :dkmelee:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Something semi-interesting to note, the weekly review that usually gets posted in the News section for Switch seems to be a tad late. It usually gets sent out fairly early on Friday from what I’ve observed, but today it has yet to appear.

Perhaps they are holding it for some kind of announcement?????

...probably not, but it’s fun to think about
Nope. Fun thought, though.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Although it's a pity that PSAS is the last big noteworthy thing for folks like Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ape Escape's Spike to show up in. It feels less like an all-stars crossover and more of "here's the last chance for our has-been mascots to leave their mark before being locked in our vault forever", even if some of said mascots got to have their series revived some time afterwards (not the three I mentioned).
Well Sly Cooper had a game that came out months after PSASBR, better than nothing
What would be even worse for PSASBR is if Crash ends up being playable as a DLC character.
Still be a better idea than Sony not bringing Crash to their Smash Bros
imagine if Sub-Zero or, preferably, Scorpion was announced. It would blow the **** up.
Still waiting for the day
More straightforward fighting games don't mesh well wish Smash in my eyes. I agree with Sakurai's past statement about fighting game characters in Smash, even if it seems like it was mistranslated or something. Ryu still feels out of place to me, so I wouldn't be big on seeing someone like Heihachi or Scorpion or something. This is just my sentiment, but those kind of worlds feel closer to the comic-book variety, which is why those Marvel and DC crossovers work so well.

The exceptions imo would be characters from atypical fighters, art design-wise. Like Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/Skullgirls, etc.

Most people don't seem to agree with this mentality anymore, though believe me, before Ryu it was a different story. Then again general Smash opinion changing with the wind is not super shocking at this point.
I had no problems with Ryu joining a cartoony world after thinking about Snake (though of course even without that I was still shocked and amazed)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

James Bond.

Banjo & Kazooie would be cool for the Rare era thingy, and the fact that their proporations and design works well within Smash, that they could be considered fun within my view.

James Bond is one of those characters I feel few people would be interested in, originally, but I'd love to see it happen. Still, people would be salty about him being a non-video game originated character. I guess people would expect the likes of Goku and Mickey Mouse next (Whoem I don't really mind at all, but those 3 would be the only ones too.)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Speaking of Heihachi, I kinda think Jin would work better for Smash because he can fly.
No. Devil Jin can fly. Not Jin. And you know transformation characters are not part of the game.

Also, who are you kidding. Heihachi is the only true Tekken character, Heihachi or bust.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well Sly Cooper had a game that came out months after PSASBR, better than nothing

I had no problems with Ryu joining a cartoony world after thinking about Snake (though of course even without that I was still shocked and amazed)
Considering how Sanzaru butchered the story for that one (turning off everyone from the Sly series), nothing would have been better, honestly.

That said, having Morrigan as another fighting series rep would work, since her series is quite cartoony as is.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No. Devil Jin can fly. Not Jin. And you know transformation characters are not part of the game.

Also, who are you kidding. Heihachi is the only true Tekken character, Heihachi or bust.
Technically there are transformation characters...but you can’t play as them unless they’re Pimp Daddy Giga Bowser
Considering how Sanzaru butchered the story for that one (turning off everyone from the Sly series), nothing would have been better, honestly.

That said, having Morrigan as another fighting series rep would work, since her series is quite cartoony as is.
Well...atleast they tried to have something over nothing

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Bad news for Ashley fans today :ohwell:
I beg to differ, Nintendo of America, but ... I know why.
Ashley = Represents Japan.
Wario = Represents America.
Mona = Represents Australia.
Jimmy T = Represents Europe.
9-Volt = Represent every gamer.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
View attachment 155491

I would say this image is not accurate. Even though the old blogs did not show characters, it did show new information. Which is what we are lacking. Characters were best, but new items, stages, etc were great. I know we had massive info dump from e3, but one new thing (outside of music), a week would help with the wait.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

1. Pokemon Trainer
2. He doesn't need to "transform" mechanically. They could just change his appearance and give him wings like Pit had in Brawl for his up-special.
3. Heihachi or bust.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People who keep suggesting Dillon be an echo of Sonic really don't know anything about Dillon other than he rolls around.

Hell, Dillon's roll attack works more like Jigglypuff's Rollout than Sonic's Spin Dash.

Then you have the fact that Dillon has his signature Claw Swipes, Bombs, Burrowing, and more.

Plus in order to be an echo all of his specials would have to be the same, which means Dillon would have to use a Spring as his Up Special... What?!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Now that Nintendo's twitter is "back to normal", this tweet is significantly more hilarious

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would say this image is not accurate. Even though the old blogs did not show characters, it did show new information. Which is what we are lacking. Characters were best, but new items, stages, etc were great. I know we had massive info dump from e3, but one new thing (outside of music), a week would help with the wait.
Something tells me that the staffs managing the latest website actually are not that competent and have no idea how to stall the public.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Something tells me that the staffs managing the latest website actually are not that competent and have no idea how to stall the public.
I agree. They are doing a poor job of it. Hype is high, but i see it dwindling.

Even a goofy pick of the day would help with the wait.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Now that Nintendo's twitter is "back to normal", this tweet is significantly more hilarious

I wonder what Nintendo was on to let Wario get into their Twitter account

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, Butterfly is good. Hmmm, I see your Butterfly and raise you...
WANNA BE THE BIGGEST DREAMER
RUNNING FULL SPEED THROUGH
BOTH THE FUTURE AND THE PRESENT
Also best English Digimon song.
Hey, never said Biggest Dreamer wasn't great. ;D

Also the best English Digimon song still pales in comparison to all the Japanese ones.
As a left handed person, I am astounded people latched onto Links handedness. I did not pick up on it or care in all my time playing LoZ.
I was going to say something like that, but as a right-handed person I didn't want to come off as an ass. Glad you said it for me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, for the record, that WAS Wario himself who posted it. I doubt it means anything important.
Wario is Nintendo though, so he purposely kicked Ashley out of Smash due to fearing her

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We need more king/royal characters.

In fact, story mode needs to involve kingdoms. Kinda like Mario Odyssey, but Nintendo-wide. Ganondorf (and Zelda), King Koopa (and the Princesses), King Dedede, King K. Rool, Burger King
Fire Emblem also consists of royalty

Nintendo faction war let's go

EDIT:
The more I think about it the more I want this unironically

I also pretty badly want Bowser's kingdom to be a stage haha
Don't forget Little Mac, the King of the Ring. :p

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
People who keep suggesting Dillon be an echo of Sonic really don't know anything about Dillon other than he rolls around.

Hell, Dillon's roll attack works more like Jigglypuff's Rollout than Sonic's Spin Dash.

Then you have the fact that Dillon has his signature Claw Swipes, Bombs, Burrowing, and more.

Plus in order to be an echo all of his specials would have to be the same, which means Dillon would have to use a Spring as his Up Special... What?!
It's kinda sad people only seem to bring up dillon as being a sonic echo for some reason, I've never played his games but he seems to have a lot of potential as a unique character, he's literally from a tower defence game which is something we've never seen in a character, that alone could allow for a unique playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom