• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just don't see them revealing a Japanese fan want at an American event.

It's such a weird decision.

But then Sakurai announced the god father of gaming behind closed doors while Mii Fighters and Palutena got to be in the main show.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think an EVO reveal is possible. Even though I don't think it has happened before, this is the first time that Nintendo has really been encouraging the competitive scene. Paired with how Smash Ultimate as a lot of new features that pertain to competitive play, it's not too far of a stretch that Nintendo would have a reveal at EVO. After all, they already have a playable demo setup there.

Question is, would they, and if so, who? I can imagine Nintendo's hesitance with the idea, as it'd probably be a challenge to keep the fact that there's a reveal from leaking out. Let alone who. Speaking of who, a fighting game character may be a bit more likely, as it fits the event, but it'd likely be any character that's widely recognizable to EVO's audience. Heihachi or a Soul Calibur character would match the former scenario, whereas a character like Simon could match the latter.
Is it impossible? Far from it. Is it likely to happen at this point? Ehh... Not really sure. Nintendo can be unpredictable, but I have a feeling that they'd be promoting this more if they had something major to announce.

I'll be keeping an eye on EVO regardless, though I don't expect it to play out any differently than the Japan Expo in France and the Smash/Aces tournament in Japan. I'd love to be wrong though, especially if the Spring Man rumor miraculously comes true today.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
According to Armada the demo that the Invitational players played during warm up didn't have Ridley on it, they only got to play him after the announcement had been made, so even if Ashley isn't in the demos that are up today that could still change from day to day. Like, if she's announced after the Smash 4 finals she could be on Sunday's demos.
Yes! There's actually two demo versions, the same but without Ridley. That's the one that was playable at Nintendo NY so I'm glad I don't live there anymore I would've been so dissapointed lol.

It's possible. Weird they wouldn't have her playable for the big Ultimate event tonight but idk.

Personally I think it's more likely we get a new demo build, possibly different veterans and stages, new ATs and Pokemon, but no newcomer. And then maybe we get a newcomer reveal Sunday. Or, even more likely, nothing new this weekend lol.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do you guys tend to prefer new content and characters over gameplay changes?

I play a smash game for about 3000hours, so I tend to prefer new gameplay mechanics instead of new characters.
The faster gameplay of ultimate is making me very excited.
Now that I've got Ridley I care more about gameplay changes than new characters, I'm not desperate for anyone anymore, and my enjoyment of both Brawl and Smash 4 were affected quite a bit by their lackluster mechanics, so with Ultimate I feel like I'm super close to getting my ideal Smash game now. Let us waveland off of platforms and allow more flexibility as far as combos go and it'll be a home run as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The Ashley thread has been discussing it for a while, it's apparently EVO related according to the leak. So it has a time stamp, however I figured we could truly nip it in the bud here with eyes like vaan that really know how to tear this kind of potential photo-shop apart.
Wasn't there another EVO leak which claimed that Spingman and Ribbon Girl were going to be revealed today if I recall?

Here is the text and source:

"Title: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Spring Man/Ribbon Girl Announcement at EVO info

Text: I know most of You will doubt this is real, but in Time You will know this to be true, so please hear Me out

On August 3rd at EVO, Nintendo will release a surprise Fighter announcement for Spring Man/Ribbon Girl in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when the Nintendo booth opens. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl will work like Olimar/Alph or Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings. Their moves can be charged or automatic depending on how long you hold. the characters will play the exact same, the only difference is the appearance, Spring Man is the Standard & Ribbon Girl more like a costume though. They will be fully playable in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate demo they have at the booth. I know this because of my Job which I will not disclose, because I intend to stay working there. it has to do with Nintendo, but is not directly connected to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

https://old.reddit.com/r/ARMS/comme..._bros_ultimate_spring_manribbon_girl/e2z810a/

We'll probably find out if this is true or not.

EDIT: So far, I'm possibly leaning on this to be fake at the moment.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Male Pokemon Trainer isn't the Red, he's still at Mt. Silver.
But the female is absolutely Leaf, she's got nothing going on. Poor girl.
Red is actually in Alola w/ Blue. Leaf missed her flight I guess.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did this get discussed here yet?

View attachment 155420
Not an expert in Photoshop but the hair and eyes look unusually shiny as if they have a plastic like luster to them. Plus, Ashley's eyes are completely red in Wario Ware Gold so it makes less sense for them to jump back to a character design that hasn't been used since 2010 with Wario Ware DIY.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ashleyisahoe.png

Her Wii U model for comparison looks pretty different. Like obviously she'd get a new model...but idk. Also her eyes weren't red at all in the Wii U one.

Well the model + short reveal time frame leads me to assume this one is fake. Hopefully we do get something announced this weekend though.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I guess I enjoyed it BECAUSE it was a different way of doing things. Master Fortress was awesome. I agree that the "Complete at 9.0" challenges are a complete pain, but that's more on the challenges than the mode itself.

Also I really don't remember 8-player matches coming up that much... like at all.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I guess I enjoyed it BECAUSE it was a different way of doing things. Master Fortress was awesome. I agree that the "Complete at 9.0" challenges are a complete pain, but that's more on the challenges than the mode itself.

Also I really don't remember 8-player matches coming up that much... like at all.
I just wish they would have had Classic mode for those of us who enjoyed it. Making a brand new, super different mode and calling it Classic doesn't count.

Edit: I don't think new "Classic" is bad per se, I just want the mode I love back. They can keep the new one and give it a different name for people who liked it

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why does everyone think Classic was so bad in 4? I thought the difficulty slider/fortress/etc were pretty good changes.
Because some people have no souls...jk

The 3DS version was great in my humbling fact
I prefer Brawl and 3DS ones, you can actually fight against all characters.
Now for Ultimate to combine the two for the Ultimate Classic Mode

There were a good amount of 8-Player matches depending on your luck
I just don't see them revealing a Japanese fan want at an American event.

It's such a weird decision.

But then Sakurai announced the god father of gaming behind closed doors while Mii Fighters and Palutena got to be in the main show.
Because :ultpacman: wasn’t a priority nor a waifu like :ultpalutena: was to Daddy Sakurai...and also :ultmiifighters: I suppose
I can't believe that Sakurai is 48 already! He just doesn't age at all!
Daddy Sakurai is immortal

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Now that I've got Ridley I care more about gameplay changes than new characters, I'm not desperate for anyone anymore, and my enjoyment of both Brawl and Smash 4 were affected quite a bit by their lackluster mechanics, so with Ultimate I feel like I'm super close to getting my ideal Smash game now. Let us waveland off of platforms and allow more flexibility as far as combos go and it'll be a home run as far as I'm concerned.
I completely agree.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
This is a thing? That's so helpful. A few weeks ago, I was trying to unlock Olimar's 3rd Pikmin Pluck to test out a mod, and it just wouldn't happen, so what I ended up doing was changing every stage to be a Pikmin stage, because unlocks in Classic seem to be based on the stage you're playing on. This seems way easier. I'll try it out if I ever need to unlock a specific move again.
Yeah it's what I used to get all the customs after finding the Crazy Order method no good (can't seem to get RNG bias for any character in it, so that method no longer becomes good once you have the majority of the customs), and from the Target Blast method it took me about a couple days of grinding to get every custom after having over half of them

Why does everyone think Classic was so bad in 4? I thought the difficulty slider/fortress/etc were pretty good changes.
I found Master Core to be a fun and really good boss fight, as is typical for Sakurai's boss design, if a bit overrated in its difficulty by other players. However the rest of Classic mode besides the penultimate multi-man battle stage is essentially just a gauntlet of up to five 5-8 man battles that are just a slog to play through with little variation, and pretty much have a significant luck element to surviving because there is so much chaos with so many CPUs around, thrown in with some good old item RNG. Getting through Classic 9.0 isn't that hard, it is the easiest Classic mode to beat with no stock loss, but whether you do so or not seems to rely mostly on luck and cheese tactics until you get to the multi-man and boss stages, and it's just tedious to play through rather than fun.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because :ultpacman: wasn’t a priority nor a waifu like :ultpalutena: was to Daddy Sakurai...and also :ultmiifighters: I suppose
Palutena and Mii Fighters were;
  1. Nintendo characters
  2. Requested by a lot of people (probably not more than :ultpacman:, but not too much less)
  3. Customizable in terms of specials, which made revealing and talking about them in public a priority, since customization was big for the last game.

Or you're right.

D

Deleted member

It wasn't 'Classic.' Classic implies that it's a mode from before, not some new weirdness.
Bear in mind that "Classic" is a localization thing.

All the "Classic" modes in Japan have been "Simple" mode.
They were never meant to be the exact same concept of an older mode.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Bear in mind that "Classic" is a localization thing.

All the "Classic" modes in Japan have been "Simple" mode.
They were never meant to be the exact same concept of an older mode.
Ok, so the localization team messed up. That doesn't really make it feel better to me.

Losing a mode you love is disappointing. Losing it and then having a completely new mode given the same name as if it's the same mode is annoying.

I think that's the fundamental reason Adventure Mode fans just seem sad about it whereas Classic Mode fans get annoyed. If the localization team didn't screw up, you'd see more "I hope classic mode comes back" instead of "this mode is terrible"

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Faster gameplay doesn't interest me, so no. We already saw tons of technical changes, not to sound ungrateful, but I want to see some stuff that doesn't pander to e-sports crowd.
New mechanics don't need to be about the e-sports crowd. They don't need to be hard to use at all, like the new jump+A giving you an automatic short hop aerial, not only is this useful for some competitive players (shield cancel into upair) but it allows new players to easily do short hop aerials.

Being able to cancel running into smash attacks and tilts will not only allow competitive players to do more horizontal combos, but it will also make it more fluid for new players to use the attacks they want without being forced into dash attacking.

Being able to turn around soon after dashing, not only gives dash dancing to competitive players but also allows new players to turn around soon after going one direction, making it closer to other platforming games. This is important if they never played smash!

Lower landing lag, will prevent new players from feeling like "my buttons don't work" as new players typically don't know much about landing lag.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena and Mii Fighters were;
  1. Nintendo characters
  2. Requested by a lot of people (probably not more than :ultpacman:, but not too much less)
  3. Customizable in terms of specials, which made revealing and talking about them in public a priority, since customization was big for the last game.

Or you're right.
Trust me...I’m right (if :ultsnake: and :ultmegaman: can be revealed at E3 while :ultsonic: gets to be the 1st 3rd party character you see confirmed to return in Ultimate and :ultryu: joins the battle on a Smash specific direct a day or so before Nintendo had their E3 Direct alongside other Nintendo characters like :ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultroy::ultinkling::ultridley: throughout the past decade, so could’ve :ultpacman:. :ultpalutena: as well as :ultmiifighters: were more important to show on the main show than the Wakachine by Sakurai law.

Soulless Miis (unless Viridi or Knuckles Miis) and Palutena = Kid Icarus content = bigger priority than Pac-Man as of 2014

Enchess

Smash Lord
New mechanics don't need to be about the e-sports crowd. They don't need to be hard to use at all, like the new jump+A giving you an automatic short hop aerial, not only is this useful for some competitive players (shield cancel into upair) but it allows new players to easily do short hop aerials.

Being able to cancel running into smash attacks and tilts will not only allow competitive players to do more horizontal combos, but it will also make it more fluid for new players to use the attacks they want without being forced into dash attacking.

Being able to turn around soon after dashing, not only gives dash dancing to competitive players but also allows new players to turn around soon after going one direction, making it closer to other platforming games. This is important if they never played smash!

Lower landing lag, will prevent new players from feeling like "my buttons don't work" as new players typically don't know much about landing lag.
Yeah, anything simpler than wavedashing or more intuitive than L-cancelling is noticed and appreciated by casual players. Everything revealed so far is cleanly in that "can be appreciated by casuals and hardcore alike" category.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Wasn't there another EVO leak which claimed that Spingman and Ribbon Girl were going to be revealed today if I recall?

Here is the text and source:

"Title: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Spring Man/Ribbon Girl Announcement at EVO info

Text: I know most of You will doubt this is real, but in Time You will know this to be true, so please hear Me out

On August 3rd at EVO, Nintendo will release a surprise Fighter announcement for Spring Man/Ribbon Girl in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate when the Nintendo booth opens. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl will work like Olimar/Alph or Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings. Their moves can be charged or automatic depending on how long you hold. the characters will play the exact same, the only difference is the appearance, Spring Man is the Standard & Ribbon Girl more like a costume though. They will be fully playable in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate demo they have at the booth. I know this because of my Job which I will not disclose, because I intend to stay working there. it has to do with Nintendo, but is not directly connected to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

https://old.reddit.com/r/ARMS/comme..._bros_ultimate_spring_manribbon_girl/e2z810a/

We'll probably find out if this is true or not.
Either way. I Do just freaking hope that Nintendo and Sakuria give us something new For Smash Ultimate soon after a full month of not showing off anything new at all for Heaven's sake!

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't mean to be pessimist, but I doubt Nintendo has announced anything at a 3rd party hosted tournament series. I'm only 10% sure we'll get any announcement whatsoever at Evo.
EVO is a pretty big deal in the competitive community. If Nintendo is doubling down on appealing to hardcore gamers, I could see a reveal happening.

That being said, I'd recommend lowering your expectations. Neither Nintendo or Sakurai has made any indication that they'll reveal anything, and I feel like we would've heard something by now.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well the leaker did say that it was supposed to be a SURPRISE announcement. There’s supposed to be no context in order to shock people.

But honestly, Spring Man as a playable newcomer in the base Smash game is already shady enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Steven Universe: Save the Light has been confirmed for Switch. I can vaguely remember a leak claiming it would come to switch but I can't remember which one. Can I get some corroboration?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
It will be a big miss if we dont get character announcement today Smash Ultimate is a fighting game that we never see before its no party game its the opposite of Marvel vs Capcom 2.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It will be a big miss if we dont get character announcement today Smash Ultimate is a fighting game that we never see before its no party game its the opposite of Marvel vs Capcom 2.
Nintendo has never really used EVO as a platform for much of anything. I don't expect that to change too much.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
YES. Dire Dire Docks needs a remix so bad. I have been wanting this gem in Smash for a while:

If we get this we at least need a remix of the best Diddy Kong Racing song:
Pirate Lagoon is so ****ing classic.

Staarih

Smash Master
Does Ultimate have a playable demo at EVO or how is it represented there? All I find is the Melee and Smash4 tournaments.

Anyway, as long as we get more gameplay, I’m all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom