• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So, we've got two major events where Nintendo is sponsoring Ultimate, which will inevitably lead to storms of salt. In preparation, post a picture of how you'll most likely handle the salt storms.

GREAT STORM OF SALT OVER ALREADY KNOWN INFO, I EMBRACE THEE!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’m just happy to have another actual piece of information in the form of Delfino Plaza being confirmed. I really enjoy the stage too, so that helps.

As for returning stages, I made a thread on this the other day, but I’ll just quickly rank all of them for me:

Most Wanted:

Fountain of Dreams
Brinstar Depths
Poke Floats
Gamer
Kongo Jungle 64
Pirate Ship
PAC-Maze

Want:

Peach’s Castle 64
Hannebow (Electroplankton is special to me)
Mario Bros (Its so completely different that I kind of love casual matches on it)
Rainbow Cruise
Mute City (Melee)
Paper Mario

Indifferent:
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
Orbital Gate Assault (Its pretty, I’ll give it that)
Mute City (3DS)
Golden Plains
Big Battlefield
Windy Hill Zone
Rainbow Road
Mushroom Kingdom (64 or Melee)

Stages Irrelevant in My Mind (Almost Deconfirmed to Me):

Whichever Mushroom Kingdom doesn’t get in
Miiverse
Pyrosphere (Without Ridley, it’s just kind of empty and big)
Zebes (We have Brinstar)
Sector Z (We have Corneria)
Metal Cavern (It’d be a nice fan nod, but I don’t see it)

*I know those last N64 stages have differences but they verge on being too redundant with the stages I mentioned, which I have more attachment to.

Stages I Actively Dislike:

Rumble Falls
Icicle Mountain
Jungle Hijinx (Its just too slow of a stage)
Dreamland (3DS) (Feels really, really small to me despite how much I live the asthetic)

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The repeats were the worst decision in Smash For. They even I grew tired of farming Mii Costumes and Special Moves, especially since there really isn't a good way to farm them, because most of the times you get RNG generated items for custom characters (why are those in the same pool as the Custom Moves and Costumes?!?!). Especially in the Wii U version, since Smash Tour is boring to do against the CPU.
Abusing the Home Button pause trick on 3DS Classic's prize reels while playing the character you need customs for, and for Wii U the Warlock Punch Target Blast Method after having previously used a character you need customs for, worked pretty well for getting the customs you need; you still got the ****ing duplicates of course, but it allowed you to get customs at a high rate while having the frequency for them be biased towards a targeted character (and the Warlock Punch Target Blast method is unintensive enough that you easily can do it while watching something). Because of those methods I was able to get all customs on 3DS before the Wii U version released and got them all on Wii U in a couple days of grinding after I got about half of them through natural play. Of course such exploits shouldn't be needed to 100% the game without extreme grinding, and I don't think they worked for the Mii outfits and hats.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Here is my personal list for the missing returning stages

Most Wanted:

Fountain of Dreams
Brinstar Depths
Poke Floats
Pirate Ship
Hannebow
Mario Bros
Peach's Castle 64
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Want:

Gamer
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Mute City (3DS)
Paper Mario
Pac-Maze
Dreamland 3DS

Stages that I can live without:

Orbital Gate Assault
Mute City (Melee)
Big Battlefield
Rainbow Road
Mushroom Kingdom (64 or Melee)
Jungle Hijinks

Stages I don't care:

Golden Plains
Miiverse
Pyrosphere
Zebes
Sector Z
Metal Cavern
Rumble Falls
Icicle Mountains
Windy Hill Zone

Abusing the Home Button pause trick on 3DS Classic's prize reels while playing the character you need customs for, and for Wii U the Warlock Punch Target Blast Method after having previously used a character you need customs for, worked pretty well for getting the customs you need; you still got the ****ing duplicates of course, but it allowed you to get customs at a high rate while having the frequency for them be biased towards a targeted character (and the Warlock Punch Target Blast method is unintensive enough that you easily can do it while watching something). Because of those methods I was able to get all customs on 3DS before the Wii U version released and got them all on Wii U in a couple days of grinding after I got about half of them through natural play. Of course such exploits shouldn't be needed to 100% the game without extreme grinding, and I don't think they worked for the Mii outfits and hats.
While I managed to get all the CM on the 3DS version (I'm still missinga couple of Mii Hats, but I don't care since I was so tired that I used a Hammer on that Challange), I've tried that trick with the Wii U version but it barelh worked for me. Maybe I shoukd check a tutorial online to see how to corectly pull it off, if I will ever feel the need to get those items.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
While I managed to get all the CM on the 3DS version (I'm still missinga couple of Mii Hats, but I don't care since I was so tired that I used a Hammer on that Challange), I've tried that trick with the Wii U version but it barelh worked for me. Maybe I shoukd check a tutorial online to see how to corectly pull it off, if I will ever feel the need to get those items.
The way to do the Wii U method is:

1. Do a round of Target Blast with a character you need customs for, then at the result screen hit the button to go to back to the CSS. This is very important as what determines the RNG bias for custom moves is based on the character last used.

2. Select Ganondorf and go to Target Blast's second stage.

3. Just hit Warlock Punch, it'll send the Bomb at such a trajectory that gets most of the targets and will hit custom targets when they spawn.

4. Keep repeating step 3, do not go back to the CSS while doing this as it will set the RNG bias to Ganon, just keep hitting retry on the result screen and it will keep the RNG bias for the character chosen in step 1 intact.

5. Once you got all the customs for the character, just go back and start from step 1 on the next character you need to get missing customs for.

Last edited:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
The duplicate custom moves might be the absolute worst design that's featured in a Smash game. It looks like it either serves just to arbitrarily pad out how long you'll be playing the game, as Sakurai likes to do or its a half baked leftover from some crafting feature similar to Kid Icarus Uprising they were intending on implementing but never did.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Male Pokemon Trainer isn't the Red, he's still at Mt. Silver.
But the female is absolutely Leaf, she's got nothing going on. Poor girl.
Yeah Blue and Red are always Leafing her behind:joyful:*you gesturing to the door telling me to get out*

Okay, okay, don't kick me out. At least Leaf made it in Smash and Blue didn't right? Smell ya later Blue Cheese
The US Digimon theme is... mmmmm.........
The Japanese one is far superior.
Yeah, Butterfly is good. Hmmm, I see your Butterfly and raise you...
WANNA BE THE BIGGEST DREAMER
RUNNING FULL SPEED THROUGH
BOTH THE FUTURE AND THE PRESENT
Also best English Digimon song.
What are ya'lls thoughts about Heihachi in general? Iv'e seen him as someone people expect and not really as a want for people.
I'd prefer Ling Xiaoyu, Eddy Gordo, or Jin Kazama over him (It's a tie between Xiaoyu, and Eddy. Both their fighting style are fun to play with).
Expected, but not hyped.

I'm a Soul Calibur fan, not a Tekken fan, so Heihachi does nothing for me. I'd much rather Ivy or Nightmare for a second Namco rep, but I realize that Tekken is a bigger series and Soul Calibur is stuck in a rut after their last few main-series games were trash. Plus, I'm one of those people who could point out all the differences between the swordsmen in the roster, but doesn't see much of a difference in all of the punchy fighters.

There really aren't too many characters anymore who could really hype me - I got most of the vets so I'm in great shape, but most of the characters I expect now are ones who I don't really know their games.
Along with Tekken, Soul Edge/Soul Calibur is my favorite! Taki, Mitsurugi, Seong Mi-na, Talim, Maxi, and Sophitia would be my top picks for Smash. Honorary mentions go to Siegfried.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
YES!!!

We lefties don't have many heroes, so having our biggest one taken away is absolutely uncool. I never understood why they didn't allow you to choose handedness since the Wii games - I want to play with motion controls too!

That was one of the worst things about the Wii. It was basically unplayable lefthanded unless it was a game that relied on gimmicks. If it was a standard thumbstick-to-move-and-buttons-to-do-things, it was always wrong. I either had to retrain my muscles to hold something wrong or do actions wrong.

BotW should have gone back to lefty, but I guess you could still play motion with JoyCons, so they left him righty...:hulk:

At this rate, we're going back to when the only lefties in games are villains. I remember when Skyrim announced you could equip in either hand, but it wasn't true left-handedness, it was just using a sword in your off-hand while your on-hand punched. You couldn't block if you wanted to be lefty. And it also didn't include cinematic kills - I didn't realize they were in for ages until I had a dual-wielder.
I'm a left hander as well, so it does kinda stink to see Link is right handed this time. It's not really a big deal to me though. Toon and Young Link are still both lefties. I really do hope they go back to left handed Link in the next Zelda game however. Also, I've never really experienced problems with the Wii. Like, I can use the normal controls for skyward sword just fine. Maybe that's just due to using the controller for so long though.

D

Deleted member

I'm a left hander as well, so it does kinda stink to see Link is right handed this time. It's not really a big deal to me though. Toon and Young Link are still both lefties. I really do hope they go back to left handed Link in the next Zelda game however. Also, I've never really experienced problems with the Wii. Like, I can use the normal controls for skyward sword just fine. Maybe that's just due to using the controller for so long though.
he is no longer left handed in Breath of the Wild because he came back to make things all right.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As a left handed person, I am astounded people latched onto Links handedness. I did not pick up on it or care in all my time playing LoZ.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
No smash tour thank you Nintendo sincerely everyone.

Shame the 3DS got the better gamemode smash run

In regards to the link handedness issue As a left handed person I was kinda bummed out not gonna lie., each to their own though

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
No smash tour thank you Nintendo sincerely everyone.

Shame the 3DS got the better gamemode smash run

In regards to the link handedness issue As a left handed person I was kinda bummed out not gonna lie., each to their own though
I played smash tour a lot with my family members... Am i... weird?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As a left handed person, I am astounded people latched onto Links handedness. I did not pick up on it or care in all my time playing LoZ.
I guess BotW Link really just changed classic Zelda conventions, including how Link looks (I'm surprised people never made as much of a big fuss over his capless blue tunic as they did with his handedness, especially since the former was a much more noticeable change.)

Though, I guess if you want to play as a Link at his most "classic" appearance, there is always Young Link (Child Link, Green Tunic, Left Handed, heck, he doesn't even wear any tights) I think even one of his Melee Trophies described him as the "true Link" too.

Young Link is as classic Link as we'll probably get, and this is coming from someone who prefers Toon Link.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do!

Imagine your surprise when you get the best KI character out of those 3, Phosphora! I know she not as popular, just let me dream *sob*.
Not to mention that she's an AT, sorry...:(

Monster rancher you say? :upsidedown:
And that just reminded me that Monster Rancher isn't a thing anymore.

Death by mobile phone games, no less.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I guess BotW Link really just changed classic Zelda conventions, including how Link looks (I'm surprised people never made as much of a big fuss over his capless blue tunic as they did with his handedness, especially since the former was a much more noticeable change.)

Though, I guess if you want to play as a Link at his most "classic" appearance, there is always Young Link (Child Link, Green Tunic, Left Handed, heck, he doesn't even wear any tights) I think even one of his Melee Trophies described him as the "true Link" too.

Young Link is as classic Link as we'll probably get, and this is coming from someone who prefers Toon Link.
Yeah, it's true. I guess I just never considered his handedness as a convention to the series at all.

On the topic of Young Link though, I'd quite like to see him with a Champions Tunic alt. I really like the BOTW look, but prefer the older style moveset.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If I remember correctly, the only new ATs that haven't been brought up in the blog yet are the Burrowing Snagret and Arcade Bunny. With new Pokemon, it's Abra, Togedemaru, and (technically?) Scizor.

Running low on items. Here's to hoping this means more info is coming out soon.

D

Deleted member

Having Delfino Plaza back made me think:
Do you know which classic Nintendo BGM still badly needs a proper and official remix?

This one:

D

Deleted member

Having Delfino Plaza back made me think:
Do you know which classic Nintendo BGM still badly needs a proper and official remix?
Battle! (Lance/Red)

Sure, we have the HG/SS version, but I'd love to have a remix that isn't limited by the hardware the song is on.

Dire Dire Docks would be nice too though.

The way to do the Wii U method is:

1. Do a round of Target Blast with a character you need customs for, then at the result screen hit the button to go to back to the CSS. This is very important as what determines the RNG bias for custom moves is based on the character last used.

2. Select Ganondorf and go to Target Blast's second stage.

3. Just hit Warlock Punch, it'll send the Bomb at such a trajectory that gets most of the targets and will hit custom targets when they spawn.

4. Keep repeating step 3, do not go back to the CSS while doing this as it will set the RNG bias to Ganon, just keep hitting retry on the result screen and it will keep the RNG bias for the character chosen in step 1 intact.

5. Once you got all the customs from the character, just go back and start from step 1 on the next character you need to get missing customs for.
This is a thing? That's so helpful. A few weeks ago, I was trying to unlock Olimar's 3rd Pikmin Pluck to test out a mod, and it just wouldn't happen, so what I ended up doing was changing every stage to be a Pikmin stage, because unlocks in Classic seem to be based on the stage you're playing on. This seems way easier. I'll try it out if I ever need to unlock a specific move again.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Well since others were doing it, I got my list of most wanted stages compiled.
Brinstar Depths
Fountain of Dreams
Pirate Ship
Poké Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Battlefield and Final Destination Stages from previous games as alternate skins to the current ones.
Hanenbow
Flat Zone X
Jungle Hijinxs
Mario Bros
Pac-Maze
Rumble Falls
Gamer
Icicle Mountain
Mute City (3DS)
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Windy Hill Zone
Wooly World
All Other Unconfirmed Stages

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Do you guys tend to prefer new content and characters over gameplay changes?

I play a smash game for about 3000hours, so I tend to prefer new gameplay mechanics instead of new characters.
The faster gameplay of ultimate is making me very excited.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I just want 100%ing smash ult to 1. Not be similar to kid Icarus (am not a fan of that difficulty system) and 2. Not be too tedious
The tedious point is important to me. Smash 4 was such a slog. Classic Mode was so boring/bad too so it made it much worse.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just want 100%ing smash ult to 1. Not be similar to kid Icarus (am not a fan of that difficulty system) and 2. Not be too tedious
You lost me with the Kid Icarus part...and then you won me with the tedious part

I play a smash game for about 3000hours, so I tend to prefer new gameplay mechanics instead of new characters.
Both...no one of the other...gotta be both
Did this get discussed here yet?

View attachment 155420
Already looks suspicious due to Ashley looking different from everyone else lighting and graphically design wise..but I want

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Did this get discussed here yet?

View attachment 155420
So I guess the "leaker" is trying to make it look like a new demo version for EVO? I'd say it's the right time for that to leak, but we'd have to have an announcement by tonight, and without hearing about one by now I doubt it.

Unless it's supposed to be for Gamescon but that's so far away still...

Not sure about the model. Could be a new model but we've had several "leakers" create new models for their "leaks" already so that means nothing. I can't tell if she looks off or if thats just the style they're going for.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Faster gameplay doesn't interest me, so no. We already saw tons of technical changes, not to sound ungrateful, but I want to see some stuff that doesn't pander to e-sports crowd.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Ashley thread has been discussing it for a while, it's apparently EVO related according to the leak. So it has a time stamp, however I figured we could truly nip it in the bud here with eyes like vaan that really know how to tear this kind of potential photo-shop apart.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Not to mention that she's an AT, sorry...:(

And that just reminded me that Monster Rancher isn't a thing anymore.

Death by mobile phone games, no less.
Wait really? I mean I haven't expected anything new from Monster Rancher for quite a while, but I didn't realize it was definitely dead. And what's this about a mobile game? =/

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Why does everyone think Classic was so bad in 4? I thought the difficulty slider/fortress/etc were pretty good changes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So this week we got Delfino Plaza returning.

That's the second bit of brand new info in a month, after Mii Fighters having 3 sets rather than 12 individual choices

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think an EVO reveal is possible. Even though I don't think it has happened before, this is the first time that Nintendo has really been encouraging the competitive scene. Paired with how Smash Ultimate as a lot of new features that pertain to competitive play, it's not too far of a stretch that Nintendo would have a reveal at EVO. After all, they already have a playable demo setup there.

Question is, would they, and if so, who? I can imagine Nintendo's hesitance with the idea, as it'd probably be a challenge to keep the fact that there's a reveal from leaking out. Let alone who. Speaking of who, a fighting game character may be a bit more likely, as it fits the event, but it'd likely be any character that's widely recognizable to EVO's audience. Heihachi or a Soul Calibur character would match the former scenario, whereas a character like Simon could match the latter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why does everyone think Classic was so bad in 4? I thought the difficulty slider/fortress/etc were pretty good changes.
It was alright in 4 but it had two problems:

The universal one was that it made getting the INTENSE mode achievments into no-death runs on top of how hard they are to everyone who isn't Johnny Competitive or Jill eSports.
The WiiU specific one, was that they stripped out any variety. It was almost nothing but 8 player matches. Like the game was so proud of having them that it forced it in your face.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
IMO the 3DS one was actually quite good. The difficulty slider and the breaching paths were cool additions.
I never liked the Wii U one because it lacked the focus that past Classic mode had. For example in past games your first battle was a simple 1 vs 1, then there was a Metal Battle, an Ally Battle, a Giant Battle to end with a Free for All. In the Wii U version there was this big push for 8PS that most matches just felt like Multy Man Melee.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I didn't mind the slider, the master core/fortress was cool at first but after a few times felt drawn out and I started to wish it just ended with Master Hand again.

My real issue was the board thing where you selected your next challenge. 8-player Smash is only fun against humans for me and there's a lot of 8-player Smash. I miss the structure where it would be something like giant match>____ team>mini-games>free-for-all in a set pattern like that with only the stages and characters changing. I felt like without it, all the matches in Classic felt very samey so it was like just doing Smash against CPU but with less control. The pattern is the very thing that makes it Classic mode. Without that they really should've called it Arcade Mode or Trophy Board or something.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So this week we got Delfino Plaza returning.

That's the second bit of brand new info in a month, after Mii Fighters having 3 sets rather than 12 individual choices
That bit about the Mii Fighters is still up to debate. Some version, like the French one, phrase that blog update in a way that indicates that you can choose between 3 variants for each move, just like it was in Smash For.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So I guess the "leaker" is trying to make it look like a new demo version for EVO? I'd say it's the right time for that to leak, but we'd have to have an announcement by tonight, and without hearing about one by now I doubt it.

Unless it's supposed to be for Gamescon but that's so far away still...

Not sure about the model. Could be a new model but we've had several "leakers" create new models for their "leaks" already so that means nothing. I can't tell if she looks off or if thats just the style they're going for.
According to Armada the demo that the Invitational players played during warm up didn't have Ridley on it, they only got to play him after the announcement had been made, so even if Ashley isn't in the demos that are up today that could still change from day to day. Like, if she's announced after the Smash 4 finals she could be on Sunday's demos.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It wasn't 'Classic.' Classic implies that it's a mode from before, not some new weirdness.

Classic mode to me is a series of battles where you will get 1v1s, a 2v2, a 3vGiant, a1vMetal, etc. 64 and Brawl gave constant franchises, but I preferred Melees of giving constant battle types with random characters.

The 3DS one was okay, but it still didn't give you all battles all the time. Maybe you got a giant. Maybe a metal. Maybe a team. Who knows?

The WiiU one was a disaster though. Move on a board to find enemies and then randomly one of them may change? Oh, and they're all up to 8-man FFAs.

The difficulty slider was also annoying. In Melee/Brawl, you could go in with a 5-stock and see how long you could last. Sm4sh changed that formula and made every round a two-stock, which was tough going up against the bosses since you couldn't cover for a hard boss by doing well before. Also the difficulty auto-decreasing, since that made it near impossible to do the "complete classic at 9.0" challenges unless you were basically a competitive master at that character. Now do it with everyone...what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom