• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Don't forget Little Mac, the King of the Ring. :p
You start out as a Mii of your choosing in the Pugilism Kingdom as the first stop of your long journey. After (implicitly) fighting up the ranks, you face Little Mac. Upon his defeat, he joins your adventure in order to become a stronger boxer.

Little Mac Unlocked!

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
It's kinda sad people only seem to bring up dillon as being a sonic echo for some reason, I've never played his games but he seems to have a lot of potential as a unique character, he's literally from a tower defence game which is something we've never seen in a character, that alone could allow for a unique playstyle.
I agree, I think at most he would simply borrow some assets like in a Jigglypuff-Kirby situation, there's no physical way he could be more similar than that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It wasn't 'Classic.' Classic implies that it's a mode from before, not some new weirdness.

Classic mode to me is a series of battles where you will get 1v1s, a 2v2, a 3vGiant, a1vMetal, etc. 64 and Brawl gave constant franchises, but I preferred Melees of giving constant battle types with random characters.

The 3DS one was okay, but it still didn't give you all battles all the time. Maybe you got a giant. Maybe a metal. Maybe a team. Who knows?

The WiiU one was a disaster though. Move on a board to find enemies and then randomly one of them may change? Oh, and they're all up to 8-man FFAs.

The difficulty slider was also annoying. In Melee/Brawl, you could go in with a 5-stock and see how long you could last. Sm4sh changed that formula and made every round a two-stock, which was tough going up against the bosses since you couldn't cover for a hard boss by doing well before. Also the difficulty auto-decreasing, since that made it near impossible to do the "complete classic at 9.0" challenges unless you were basically a competitive master at that character. Now do it with everyone...what?
At least in Smash 3DS, you're not required to complete Classic on a set intensity with everyone. As for Smash Wii U, the challenge where you had to complete intensity 7.0 with everyone can be Golden Hammered.

In the end though, Smash 3DS's Classic was far better than Smash Wii U's version.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You start out as a Mii of your choosing in the Pugilism Kingdom as the first stop of your long journey. After (implicitly) fighting up the ranks, you face Little Mac. Upon his defeat, he joins your adventure in order to become a stronger boxer.

Little Mac Unlocked!
I thought about it again, but if we started the story mode out in New Donk City (...so, the Metro Kingdom, I guess, it makes for an easy starting point at least considering the stage already exists), you could both start the story out fighting Mario (of course) and also have Little Mac make an appearance.

What could this mean?
It means they're going to have exhibition matches in 4 hours.
And will have them throughout the weekend... right?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Is it just me or is it that mostly all of the classic MK ladies have awful designs?

Melilna has gotten worlds better and Devorah is great but the others, even today are a little ehhh.

except for the aforementioned I can't look at any of them and say "Yeah she's iconic like Chun Li or Mai"

I only brings this up because I don't think their are any MK characters to make stock icons of that haven't been made already.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm hype to watch honestly
I'll probably miss it, but I'll be rooting for Nairo all the same.

Hey, never said Biggest Dreamer wasn't great. ;D

Also the best English Digimon song still pales in comparison to all the Japanese ones.
Hot Take: I'd take either the English original or Frontier openings over some of the later Japanese seasons' (especially XW's), and while I'll freely admit the former could be due to nostalgia bias, I unironically like the Frontier one.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Like I said yesterday, my first stage design for the fan game I'm working on, Jellyfish Fields!

Jellyfish Fields Stage Design

One of the most memorable locations from 'Spongebob Squarepants', the Jellyfish Fields stage encapsulates all those Jellyfish-catching moments with Spongebob and the gang. The stage is one of four Spongebob stages in the game, and is overall simple in layout. However, the stage also has a plethora of hazards that can appear as well, making the stage deeper than it first appears.

Size: Medium

Hazards: Yes

Complexity: Simple

Layout: Jellyfish Fields is overall very simple in stage layout. The stage consists of a long stretch of straight, grassy plain with a large, purple rock formation sticking out of the right side of the stage. The rock formation also has two platforms on them that players can stand on. All things considered, a simplistic layout.

Normal Stage Layout w/ no hazards:

Omega Form: The omega form of the stage has players fight on a completely straight stretch of land positioned on the top of a purple rock. The sides of the stage has curved walls making wall jumping un-achievable.

Omega Form Layout: (same background as Normal Layout)

Battlefield form: The battlefield form of the stage uses the same basic platform from the Omega Form, with the addition of three platforms in a triangle shape that are made of the same purple-rock material.

Battlefield Form Layout: (same background as Normal Layout)

Stage Hazards: The only hazards that will appear on Jellyfish Fields will be various types of Jellyfish that will go after fighters. There are a total of 5 different Jellyfish types that can appear, with each having different effects on the course of the battle. Stage hazards only appear on the normal layout, and even then they can be turned off with the hazard toggle.

Jellyfish- A generic type of Jellyfish that is the most common to spawn. The regular Jellyfish will periodically fly about the stage and sting opponents, dealing minimal electric damage. However, fighters can very easily rid themselves of the Jellyfish by hitting it with virtually any attack. The normal Jellyfish will also eventually find its way off of the stage after around 10 seconds or so have passed.

Jellyfish Flock- The most common type after the generic Jellyfish, this is a large group of around 15 Jellyfish that enter at the same time. They work largely the same as the normal version, but will always stay together and move as one unit. This means that their sting is amplified greatly, dealing much more damage. Fighters can still easily kill the group by simply attacking them when they aren't stinging, and the group will have left the stage by the time 10 seconds have passed.

Juicy Jellyfish- This is the third most common Jellyfish that can appear on the stage. It works like the regular one in that it stings opponents and leaves after 10 seconds. The main difference is that after the Jellyfish is attacked, it will leave behind 5 small puddles of Jelly Jam, which is a recovery item that heals 5% of damage. This makes the battle change to a race once the Juicy Jellyfish enters the fray.

Queen Jellyfish- The Queen Jellyfish is the boss of this stage, and once she shows up you'll want to rid of her as soon as possible. Once the Queen appears, she will attack by stinging opponents with her enormous, deadly stingers and sending out regular Jellyfish every 5 seconds. The only way to harm the Queen will be to attack her spongy top half, which doesn't do any damage. Once enough damage is dealt, she will explode and all other Jellyfish on screen, regardless of whether or not she spawned them, will die too. The Queen Jellyfish can only appear once per game.

Gold Jellyfish- The rarest type to spawn, this Jellyfish works very differently than the others. This Jellyfish will dart across the screen once it shows up, meaning it only sticks around for about 3 seconds. This also means it won't attack players, either. The player who successfully attack the Jellyfish while its in this state will be granted a MASSIVE buff in all of their stats (attack, speed, shield, jump, knock back) for a whole 20 seconds. If this happens to show up, you'd better drop anything to catch it.

Conclusion: Jellyfish Fields is overall a very simple stage in terms of layout. Where it really shines is in the different hazards and Jellyfish that can appear, with each changing up the battle in different ways. With the hazard toggle on, and no jellyfish, this stage would likely be ideal for competitive play.

Attached are the drawings (excuse my lack of skill). Tomorrow is another Moveset, with another cartoon chatacer!

Attachments

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'll probably miss it, but I'll be rooting for Nairo all the same.

Hot Take: I'd take either the English original or Frontier openings over some of the later Japanese seasons' (especially XW's), and while I'll freely admit the former could be due to nostalgia bias, I unironically like the Frontier one.
Hey! Never Give Up, New World and Stand Up are great!

I don't think there's a single Japanese Digimon opening (and evolution) theme I don't like (I'd have to go through the Ending themes, though).

The "Digimon Fusion" theme is good, but way too Autotune heavy. Yes, we get it! "DIGITAL" Monsters, har har.

Also... this.
*sigh* If only.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I won't be able to watch unfortunately due to time zone difference. So I may be able to watch the highlights on the next day.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why would Bayonetta stop her, she loves small magic children!
that may or may not be her
if the child ain’t her then she’ll give no ****s
I’m hoping Nairo goes Pit and/or Snake

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I would rather have Dillon as well, but he wouldn't really fit over Sonic's skeleton. Sonic even does a few things Dillon's model just wouldn't be able to, like using his spikes in his u-throw.
Isnt that where the minor changes come in?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So which EVO stream is the Smash stuff on?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Anyone else hoping it's a new build?
I know it's not likely, but a few stages, Assists, and characters we haven't seen from the E3 build would be nice.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Isnt that where the minor changes come in?
As far as can be told, the minor changes come in the form of alterations to knockback values, pretty much; with the occasional minor animation change (Marth and Lucina's Shield Breaker charging animation is slightly different, but the actual final animation and point of impact is the same).

Changing Dillon(/Tails/Shadow)'s Up throw would be too major a change (probably).

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
YES. Dire Dire Docks needs a remix so bad. I have been wanting this gem in Smash for a while:

If we get this we at least need a remix of the best Diddy Kong Racing song:
Pirate Lagoon is so ****ing classic.
Blessed DKR music. If we don't get any let's all collectively sue Nintendo.

Jk but they need to do this masterpiece justice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

geng11.png

New Gengar related "leak", though just claiming that K. Rool and Gengar are "just rumors" the leaker has heard about from others.

Which is funny considering the "main" Gengar leak that kicked off the trend (but notably wasn't the first "leak" to include Gengar) was the one with K. Rool's and Gengar's proposed trailer concepts.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

What could this mean?
I thought about it again, but if we started the story mode out in New Donk City (...so, the Metro Kingdom, I guess, it makes for an easy starting point at least considering the stage already exists), you could both start the story out fighting Mario (of course) and also have Little Mac make an appearance.

It means they're going to have exhibition matches in 4 hours.
And will have them throughout the weekend... right?
I think coverage is only today...so it's interesting they say all weekend. Probably nothing lol.

Did they ever tweet about CEO or the other events besides E3?

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 155514

New Gengar related "leak", though just claiming that K. Rool and Gengar are "just rumors" the leaker has heard about from others.

Which is funny considering the "main" Gengar leak that kicked off the trend (but notably wasn't the first "leak" to include Gengar) was the one with K. Rool's and Gengar's proposed trailer concepts.
Red Vest item?

Sounds like the Assault Vest from Pokémon.

It increases a Pokémon's Special Defence but prevents them from using Status Moves.

I mean, maybe it'll be an item in Smash?

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Or how about series that have been in Smash since the beginning with no ATs to date (DK and Yoshi)?
Yoshi: Poochy If there’s zero consideration for him to be playable.

DK: Rambi. As a ride-able assist trophy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
View attachment 155514

All certainly interesting things, but I have a lot of doubt. Healthy doubt. I would love to be proven otherwise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Red Vest item?

Sounds like the Assault Vest from Pokémon.

It increases a Pokémon's Special Defence but prevents them from using Status Moves.

I mean, maybe it'll be an item in Smash?
Assault Vest was the first thing that came to mind, too.

I do have to say, Gengar and an Assault Vest item would make it seem like the competitive side of Pokémon is being represented to a degree.
Coincidentally, Scizor was brought back as a Poké Ball summon, and Scizor is another popular Pokémon in the competitive meta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom