• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Actually going off a bit on the rivalry discussion...

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
Okay let’s see... who’s my most wanted today....

Mike Jones. Feeling the Star Tropics love.

Rivals would be Ness. They both are random kids with bats, yoyos, and psychic powers.

Ridley, as he fights evil aliens.

And Duck Hunt. Both retro characters. And Duck Hunt dog antagonizes everyone.

ROB’s his buddy, because he’s on the Sub C.

-

Other characters I’d like:

Bonk: Mario and Sonic. 16 bit console war.
Fawful: Luigi and Bowser, because plot.
Geno: Bayonetta and Mega Man. Magic and Pinocchio.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I really am unsure how they’re are going to reveal newcomers this time around.

We only have 1 direct until Smash releases, which is gonna have a newcomer.

We also have a newcomer from a potential Smash direct as well.

But then what? Really I’m unsure how they’re going to reveal this time around, unless they only have two newcomers, in which case, sucks. There isn’t a lot of times where they can reveal new peeps, and I doubt they’ll do a newcomer blowout.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It sure is exciting.

They did, but after the major backlash as Ultimate and it’s poor sales and small competitive community, the game “fizzled out” and wasn’t worth getting on the big stage since people probably won’t watch it let alone get a ticket there, they’ll lose money.

Not to mention it was an embarrassment from Capcom and Marvel due to it’s poor quality.
Although it's gameplay was apparently the best of the series, everything else stank for MvCI. Just goes to show you, gameplay isn't everything...respect your roster. My gosh that was a bad roster barring like...Sigma and Monster Hunter for newcomers with unacceptable cuts (Wolverine!? Might as well cut Mario...)

Anyways!

Evo should be cool. We won't get any info there I pretty much guarantee. Following Papa Saks for years gives you an intuition for when and where he will give real info. These bigs events are not one of those places.

Did i ever mention my most wanted?

Daroach, Neku, Waluigi, K Rool, Travis Touchdown, Goku.

Although I'm more than ok without any of them. It's just icing on the cake at this point.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'm gonna anger a lot of people with this.

But it's time to put Melee out to greener pastures. It should not be at major competitions like EVO anymore.

You don't see Street Fighter 4, 3, 2, etc at EVO.

You don't see earlier installments of Tekken, etc, etc

Melee should not be entitled to special treatment because it's fans **** a brick if it's left off.

''BUT MELEE IS COMPETITIVE SMASH."

Don't even open that can of worms by saying that because we all know why Melee is the competitive Smash and it's not something that's positive either.

4 has shown a newer installment can be taken seriously and get an audience for competitive Smash. So yeah 4 shouldn't be the one being retired till Ultimate is out.

Melee should be.

Go ahead flame me.

Iirc they're getting rid of both Melee and Smash 4 in favor of Ultimate, which I'm fine with.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Mfw we have a Nintendo Direct and there are no newcomers:
2C3034FF-8C8E-4313-AC35-73B7840A9968.jpeg

While this is mostly for the lulz, I can only imagine the chaos of a Nintendo Direct with no Smash newcomer reveal. I’d probably laugh and observe this site, but then slowly break from the madness of not getting a new character after knowing about the game for a few months.

Honestly i’m at the point where I really don’t care who gets in, despite the fact that I would really like Rex & Pyra. This game is already looking really good, so I can’t complain if we get additional characters that, for all we know, are being added to make people happy above all else.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Mfw we have a Nintendo Direct and there are no newcomers:
View attachment 155110
While this is mostly for the lulz, I can only imagine the chaos of a Nintendo Direct with no Smash newcomer reveal. I’d probably laugh and observe this site, but then slowly break from the madness of not getting a new character after knowing about the game for a few months.

Honestly i’m at the point where I really don’t care who gets in, despite the fact that I would really like Rex & Pyra. This game is already looking really good, so I can’t complain if we get additional characters that, for all we know, are being added to make people happy above all else.
People would either panic and say that the roster was finished at Ridley, and the other half would remain optimistic about a Smash Direct fairly soon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey everyone. So, here's a wild imagination I had in mind; since Nintendo & Microsoft are in a somewhat good "relationship" in terms of cross-play with games such as Minecraft & Fortnite; what if (and its a BIG IF- so take it with a grain of salt if you will since it will never happen, just dream.) Nintendo buys back all of Rare's Ips from Microsoft, in terms of newcomers, I would expect Banjo-Kazooie to be fully considered and of course, my man...View attachment 155003
FULGORE!! I need *dat* ULTRA COMBO with the iconic sfx as his final smash.

It's every Nintendo fans' dream; a true definition of the term, "EVERYONE IS HERE"!

Other honorable mentions
  • Rash from Battletoads
  • Conker
Also here are a few characters that I think are good as assist trophies...
Kameo from Kameo: Elements of Power
Juno & Vela- Jet Force Gemini
Cooper- Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Hudson from Viva Pinata
I would unironically want Fulgore more than Banjo any day of the week. It'll never happen, but damn it, it would make me happy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm sure someone will say Bayonetta and Cloud, etc boding everyone in competitive Smash is a negative as to why it shouldn't stick around, but lol...

Isn't that true of most competitive games? There's always those few characters that can just about wreck anyone else in the roster in the capable of hands of a pro.

That's not even exclusive to fighting games (look at FPS like Overwatch, etc) and it happens with Melee too.

Fox anyone? Marth anyone? Like there's just virtually no reason than a sense of entitlement that Melee is still the face of competitive Smash and I'd wager that's a huge reason why Sakurai and Nintendo don't approach the scene as seriously as fans would like.

Embrace their newer installments and stop getting hung up on the old, telling them that their newer installments are somehow inferior and maybe that's when you'll see competitive Smash taken as seriously by them as Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc Systems, etc take their fighting installments.

Just my two cents I guess.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
https://i.redd.it/xr53fmebhbd11.jpg

This is obviously a joke since the wait time isn't nearly as long but just thought I'd post for funsies

Hang in there, friend. We'll all get through this together. CUZ WE'RE SONIC HEROEESSS
As seen here, we usually get reveals around halfway between announcement and release.

But as stated again, we only have like 4 months left until release compared to the 1-2 years of previous games. With less special events like Directs to show newcomers so it’s interesting if we’ll get a character blow out as well, but to a smaller scale.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

This is obviously a joke since the wait time isn't nearly as long but just thought I'd post for funsies

Hang in there, friend. We'll all get through this together. CUZ WE'RE SONIC HEROEESSS
Wait, by that image delaying Brawl by two months meant they added Sonic, Toon Link and Wolf.

I could take a delay to Ultimate for three bonus characters.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
Rayman is my most wanted with K. Rool an inch behind, so I'll do both of them I guess.

For Rayman, ROB because of Rayman 2's Pirate Robots. Kinda biased towards Rayman 2, as it's one of those games that I can truly say made my childhood.

For K Rool, Corrin. Let's have a reptilian showdown.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to wait the majority of that month Dedede got revealed in.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice

I'm not really sure who Simon Belmont's rival would be... there are a few that could work, like Bayonetta, or a Konami rivalry with Snake, or Samus/ZSS (whip vs grapple beam, later Castlevania games being very similar to Metroid). Personally I really like the Simon vs Meta Knight matchup. I can just imagine Simon walking up the steps to Dracula's throne room, only to be challenged by Meta Knight instead (maybe even MK throwing a sword to Simon if we're going to acknowledge Haunted Castle).

As for another 3rd party I'd want, Travis Touchdown, his rivalry seems a lot easier: Shulk. They both have futuristic swords and practically opposite personalities.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm sure someone will say Bayonetta and Cloud, etc boding everyone in competitive Smash is a negative as to why it shouldn't stick around, but lol...

Isn't that true of most competitive games? There's always those few characters that can just about wreck anyone else in the roster in the capable of hands of a pro.

That's not even exclusive to fighting games (look at FPS like Overwatch, etc) and it happens with Melee too.

Fox anyone? Marth anyone? Like there's just virtually no reason than a sense of entitlement that Melee is still the face of competitive Smash and I'd wager that's a huge reason why Sakurai and Nintendo don't approach the scene as seriously as fans would like.

Embrace their newer installments and stop getting hung up on the old, telling them that their newer installments are somehow inferior and maybe that's when you'll see competitive Smash taken as seriously by them as Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc Systems, etc take their fighting installments.

Just my two cents I guess.
No, the reason people still play Melee is actually quite simple.

They like playing Melee more. They like the gameplay and the competitive scene, not some made up "sense of entitlement." And if the next Smash had those same mechanics or comparable, then I'm sure the transition would be far easier.

And no, I seriously doubt that the Melee community is the thing stopping a multi-billion dollar mega-corporation from properly supporting and nurturing a competitive community properly.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

But it's time to put Melee out to greener pastures. It should not be at major competitions like EVO anymore.

Melee should not be entitled to special treatment because it's fans **** a brick if it's left off.

Don't even open that can of worms by saying that because we all know why Melee is the competitive Smash and it's not something that's positive either.

4 has shown a newer installment can be taken seriously and get an audience for competitive Smash. So yeah 4 shouldn't be the one being retired till Ultimate is out.

Melee should be.

Go ahead flame me.

Not angry, but Melee is vastly different from the rest (and so is 64 and why there's a pretty loyal competitive scene to it still), while 4 will naturally (and rightfully) die as soon as Ultimate comes out, since most people from that will go over to Ultimate which is looking to be a better game. Case in point is, Melee is the exception, Smash 4 will go by how fighting games go with newer installments (though I can see some people staying Smash 4 loyal). What I think most people miss is that... it was kinda Brawl's fault (and, of course, a HUGE merit to Melee) that things are how they are and it's Smash 4's merit that we can get things moving.

But truly, the fairest option is to both go away and we have a spot for just Ultimate, it has been too long with this Smash Bros privilege.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I heard that the Nintendo Spanish site has a direct link for August 3rd, but then they took it down. Looks like we're getting it soon.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
So I heard that the Nintendo Spanish site has a direct link for August 3rd, but then they took it down. Looks like we're getting it soon.
That's kinda old and probably won't amount to nothing. I'm not sure if it was debunked, but seeing people stopped talking about it I think it was?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Melee should be.

Go ahead flame me.

You still see Melee at these competitions because it still brings in the people and the money. It's that simple. Moreover, it isn't getting special treatment. Their community put in a huge amount of effort and their own money to get it back into Evo and have been supporting it with the numbers year after year. They've arguably earned their spot more than anyone.

It seems much more sensible to me to wait and see when the game is out and find out which ones THE PEOPLE want to play. And if Melee is still garnering sizable crowds of unique entrants? It doesn't seem fair to me to deny them the opportunity.

[Note: I'm not a Melee player, I just don't see why any game needs to be "retired" if enough people want to play it and compete in it]

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Funny how back then Luigi getting revealed early and the confirmation of Toon Link returning was enough to satisfy us.

We've really raised our standards since then.
Big difference with Toon Link's reveal was that we didn't know at the time whether or not Smash 4 was going to get cuts or even who would get cut (among people that assumed that cuts were inevitable for Smash 4) so his reveal was a pretty big deal, especially considering how commonly he was predicted to be cut.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
No, the reason people still play Melee is actually quite simple.

They like playing Melee more. They like the gameplay and the competitive scene, not some made up "sense of entitlement." And if the next Smash had those same mechanics or comparable, then I'm sure the transition would be far easier.

And no, I seriously doubt that the Melee community is the thing stopping a multi-billion dollar mega-corporation from properly supporting and nurturing a competitive community properly.
I'm gonna have to hard disagree on the point of a smooth transition of melee players if the game was similar enough. Melee players play melee, because its melee and they've been playing it for years. I'm confident melee HD could launch and people would complain if the game were tweaked in any insignificant way. I'd go as far as to say it's fine being a melee fan and not necessarily a smash fan.
PM did a really good job of showing me how it would go down if given what could have been a natural progression of melee, and that game is nowhere to be seen now for a variety of reasons.

I don't think it's an issue though. Melee will inevitably die eventually, just as it has in the past. A lot of people seem to conveniently forget it's done so before. Other games may die first, but this one will too. As long as the community supports it, the game will thrive tho.

I think that's fine tho. Let the community enjoy it for as long as they want, there's no obligation for everyone to play the same thing. I just don't want to see melee hamper ultimate's growth at all. If that means less screen time at the new majors, so be it.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna have to hard disagree on the point of a smooth transition of melee players if the game was similar enough. Melee players play melee, because its melee and they've been playing it for years. I'm confident melee HD could launch and people would complain if the game were tweaked in any insignificant way.
They changed one pixel on Fox's CSP, game ruined forever.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm gonna have to hard disagree on the point of a smooth transition of melee players if the game was similar enough. Melee players play melee, because its melee and they've been playing it for years. I'm confident melee HD could launch and people would complain if the game were tweaked in any insignificant way. I'd go as far as to say it's fine being a melee fan and not necessarily a smash fan.
PM did a really good job of showing me how it would go down if given what could have been a natural progression of melee, and that game is nowhere to be seen now for a variety of reasons.

I don't think it's an issue though. Melee will inevitably die eventually, just as it has in the past. A lot of people seem to conveniently forget it's done so before. Other games may die first, but this one will too. As long as the community supports it, the game will thrive tho.

I think that's fine tho. Let the community enjoy it for as long as they want, there's no obligation for everyone to play the same thing. I just don't want to see melee hamper ultimate's growth at all. If that means less screen time at the new majors, so be it.
I meant that more in the frame of had a sequel to Melee come up back during Brawl, the transition would've been smoother, but as it is now, the game is far top ingrained to ever transition.

I say, the fact that more people pay for more Melee justifies its continued existence. It'll die with CRTs, but until then, money is money.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So, here's a question.

If each confirmed character had a rival, who would they have?
I know several ideas for Yoshi:

:ultyoshi:x:ultluigi:Vying for Mario's attention
:ultyoshi:x:ultkirby:Bottomless pits
:ultyoshi:x:ultridley:Opposite ends of the "dragon" spectrum I know neither are technically dragons just bare with me
:ultyoshi:x:ultdk:Mario sub-series leads

Boshi would be a rival of Cloud :troll::yoshi:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Direct.jpg

You guys seen what happens if you type Nintendo Direct into google?

For us in Europe the date is d/m/y
Also says 3rd of August in the body text there.

This comes up for me when I google search anyway.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
View attachment 155122

You guys seen what happens if you type Nintendo Direct into google?

For us in Europe the date is d/m/y
Also says 3rd of August in the body text there.

This comes up for me when I google search anyway.
That looks like the March 8 direct link

edit: wait a minute that's weird, it does say August 3rd

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
It literally says 3rd of August 2018 in the text under the link. As I just stated, in Europe it's day/month/year.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Wanted to chime in on a small aside:

I am fairly excited about the Zelda changes. I didn't pay any attention to this character from Melee through Smash 4, other than my friend playing her a lot. Her new design didn't instantly captivate me, since the white gown looked strange to me. When I saw one of her alt skins today, however...that's what caught my attention.
In addition, Dabuz posted a theorycraft video last week on YT discussing changes to Zelda's playstyle (tldr: going from none to an actual gameplan). The changes he noted, and their impacts, have me quite excited for testing her out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom