• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
For the record that Twitter post did say make sure to watch on Championship Sunday so if Smash Ultimates little Tournament thing isn't Sunday then you can rule out a reveal. I highly doubt they'd announce something for Ultimate after the Melee finals.
EVO on Sunday has
Start time 8AM, Doors open at 7AM,​
8:00 AM – Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2​
10:30 AM – Super Smash Bros. Melee​
1:30 PM – Tekken 7​
4:00 PM – DragonBall FighterZ​
7:30 PM – Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition​
All of them Final Rounds
Also

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
*Completely leaves Sakura off a list of ranked siblings* This is the only correct list.
I legit just forgot she existed kek, I guess she'd be before Hinoka.
So I've been lurking this thread for awhile (I can't keep up!) but I wanted to ask what the general consensus on a Rhythm Heaven character was. I was always under the impression they were one of the most likely characters this time around, right behind K Rool, but I haven't seen one on many leaks or prediction rosters. Considering a Rhythm Heaven emblem was found in Smash 4 and Megamix came out in 2015 (relevant) I would assume they would be more popular. I'd even consider them a shoe-in. It's easily the next most likely Nintendo franchise to get a character in my opinion.
While I wouldn't say they're a shoe-in, it has a pretty good chance. Megamix came out around the time the project plan started so I could easily see Tibby as the RH rep. Either way, I'm expecting more than some trophies this time around but not necessarily a new character.
Actually going off a bit on the rivalry discussion...

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
My first one is Captain Toad. I think it'd be kinda cool if his rival were Captain Falcon or Olimar since they're all Captains and he'd have to prove to himself he's the best when he's probably not.

And then my second is Bandana Dee. I could see him being rivals with the rest of the KRtD cast.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
Bayonetta.
There can only be one witch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Chrom - Captain Falcon. Time to settle the score.

Celica - Bayonetta. To say Celica's had bad experiences with witches would be putting it lightly.

Decidueye - Greninja. Starter Pokémon battle! Decidueye's Grass beats Greninja's Water, but the latter's Dark beats the former's Ghost.

Crash Bandicoot - Mario's the obvious answer, but since he's paired with Sonic...Mega Man. Both created by scientists, one natural and one artificial. Mewtwo could also follow is theme.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I like how Smash 4 gets to have its final EVO (possibly...most definitely) while MvCi is flat out dead

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
For the record that Twitter post did say make sure to watch on Championship Sunday so if Smash Ultimates little Tournament thing isn't Sunday then you can rule out a reveal. I highly doubt they'd announce something for Ultimate after the Melee finals.
Smash Ultimate's exhibition tourney is on Friday, August 3rd starting at 6pm PDT (so weird to say that since I'm EST LOL). No clear end time.

D

Deleted member

I like how Smash 4 gets to have its final EVO (possibly...most definitely) while MvCi is flat out dead
Apparently, they did try to bring it to EVO. Disney's most likely responsible for it not being there.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I really am unsure how they’re are going to reveal newcomers this time around.

We only have 1 direct until Smash releases, which is gonna have a newcomer.

We also have a newcomer from a potential Smash direct as well.

But then what? Really I’m unsure how they’re going to reveal this time around, unless they only have two newcomers, in which case, sucks. There isn’t a lot of times where they can reveal new peeps, and I doubt they’ll do a newcomer blowout.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It sure is exciting.

Apparently, they did try to bring it to EVO. Disney's most likely responsible for it not being there.
They did, but after the major backlash as Ultimate and it’s poor sales and small competitive community, the game “fizzled out” and wasn’t worth getting on the big stage since people probably won’t watch it let alone get a ticket there, they’ll lose money.

Not to mention it was an embarrassment from Capcom and Marvel due to it’s poor quality.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is it weird that I actually can imagine them doing a newcomer blowout??

I mean, there was the grand veteran blowout at E3 with “EVERYONE IS HERE!” and only one newcomer after that (Ridley) so they may just be penting up for yet another blowout — I call it “MANY MORE ARE COMING!”

blazefan519

Smash Ace

But then what? Really I’m unsure how they’re going to reveal this time around, unless they only have two newcomers, in which case, sucks. There isn’t a lot of times where they can reveal new peeps, and I doubt they’ll do a newcomer blowout.

Perhaps how Brawl did it? Show off a bunch of Newcomers in the same trailer.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I mean, there was the grand veteran blowout at E3 with “EVERYONE IS HERE!” and only one newcomer after that (Ridley) so they may just be penting up for yet another blowout — I call it “MANY MORE ARE COMING!”
And with that, many more meme videos would come.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

They did, but after the major backlash as Ultimate and it’s poor sales and small competitive community, the game “fizzled out” and wasn’t worth getting on the big stage since people probably won’t watch it let alone get a ticket there, they’ll lose money.

Not to mention it was an embarrassment from Capcom and Marvel due to it’s poor quality.
I think a Smash Direct is likely to give us two newcomers for this reason.

As for other reveals, I agree with you that we'll have one Nintendo Direct with a newcomer, likely in August. I also think we'll have one random website character announcement i.e Robin sprinkled in somewhere between now and December.

Then I think either 2 or 3 newcomers will be hidden until the game comes out.

SonicMario

Smash Master

I am kinda wondering if perhaps to avoid the formality of it being leaked online. They just reveal the rest of the newcomers in the final direct before the game releases (Which would likely be in October or November as a Smash direct). My guess is there is at least 5 more other then the 3 we already know about. So having all 5 revealed within the same direct (With one or two of those being echo fighters) might be a possibility. Though I am hoping that maybe we get 1 in August so then there's still at least 4 if this is what's happening.

Maybe even give a hint at who will be the first DLC character too.

domriver

Smash Lord
I am kinda wondering if perhaps to avoid the formality of it being leaked online. They just reveal the rest of the newcomers in the final direct before the game releases (Which would likely be in October or November as a Smash direct). My guess is there is at least 5 more other then the 3 we already know about. So having all 5 revealed within the same direct (With one or two of those being echo fighters) might be a possibility. Though I am hoping that maybe we get 1 in August so then there's still at least 4 if this is what's happening.

Maybe even give a hint at who will be the first DLC character too.
Even if they reveal the entire roster early on. We will still have all the DLC leaks to go through. lol

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon No leaks for yesterday nor today? :O

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
I personally think they will leave the echos to be hidden characters until after the game releases. There is only about 4 months left. Assuming we have two directs between then and now, I can't imagine more than 4-5 characters being shown at the most and I really believe there will be more than that, although I know many people feel differently. It'd be fun speculation at least coming into the game. I mean, imagine if Shadow and Isabelle(sp?) still aren't shown as AT's or characters when the game releases. For the few weeks leading up to it, people would definitely be hardcore speculating

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Pikachu versus Mimikyu. (I did it ma)

The only other characters to possibly have a rivalry with Pikachu are Raichu and Meowth, even though I don't consider him one.

If they were to do a "rivalry" type thing then Mimikyu would almost certainly be in. But sadly thats not a thing. ;w;

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well Krystal already lost to Wolf so for the others...

Roll being rivaled by Zero
ARMS characters rivalling each other
Gardevoir being rivalled by... most Gen 7 Pokemon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
EVO on Sunday has
Start time 8AM, Doors open at 7AM,​
8:00 AM – Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2​
10:30 AM – Super Smash Bros. Melee​
1:30 PM – Tekken 7​
4:00 PM – DragonBall FighterZ​
7:30 PM – Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition​
All of them Final Rounds
Also
ok. But what are the timezones? Cause I wanna catch EVO Friday to Sunday and I'm European so it might conflict with my schedule

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
That's so nice, thanks TTK! Good to see you posting again as well. :)
I guess there's no quitting the Smash ride for us, is there?
I never left the site thanks to my position. Though, at least a hiatus or two were definitely had :p

That said, what's going on now on discussions? Iunno. I'm hyped for the game. Honestly, this brings me back to before: their best play is to keep rehashing information until sometime in October or November where they then blow the lid off of almost everything else (if we're lucky, everything) - I'd enjoy that a lot more than them being slow about it.

However, I do want to bring up a concern: that they're going to leave some characters as a surprise for the release. That's fine and dandy and all but we know that they'll get leaked before then, even if only by a few days from people breaking street date. It's just foolish not to use them for marketing, honestly.

But that's just two scenarios of quite a few.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Captain Toad's rival would be Wario.

The two are rival treasure hunters
Both obsessed with gold and exploring
Have bad blood in the Mario baseball games
Wario's Woods had the two face off against one another; Toad as the protagonist, Wario as the antagonist
Toad blew up his frigging castle, Wario tried to take over Toad's forest

(surprised Tails's rival wasn't Jr with the mecha battles)

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
For stuff I have interest in...

Mario: Foreman Spike (wouldn't hurt to have the proto-Waluigi)
Donkey Kong: Chunky Kong
Wario: Dribble & Spitz (do combos count?)
Metroid: Weevil (well, any bounty hunter that isn't Sylux, really)
Star Fox: Pigma Dengar
Punch-Out: Bear Hugger
Sonic: Ray
Kid Icarus: Pandora
F-Zero: Ms. Arrow
Kirby: Rick, Coo & Kine
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Street Fighter: R. Mika
Final Fantasy: Gilgamesh
Konami in general: Sparkster
I was honestly so glad to see somebody finally pick an F-Zero Character who's actually obscure, I'm finally not that "one girl who's bat**** insane about F-Zero" around here anymore

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I never left the site thanks to my position. Though, at least a hiatus or two were definitely had :p

That said, what's going on now on discussions? Iunno. I'm hyped for the game. Honestly, this brings me back to before: their best play is to keep rehashing information until sometime in October or November where they then blow the lid off of almost everything else (if we're lucky, everything) - I'd enjoy that a lot more than them being slow about it.

However, I do want to bring up a concern: that they're going to leave some characters as a surprise for the release. That's fine and dandy and all but we know that they'll get leaked before then, even if only by a few days from people breaking street date. It's just foolish not to use them for marketing, honestly.

But that's just two scenarios of quite a few.
Well there was there were like two leaks that were killed as soon as they started among other things.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This is so boring, I can't take it anymore.

View attachment 155108

I need interesting Smash news.
https://i.redd.it/xr53fmebhbd11.jpg

This is obviously a joke since the wait time isn't nearly as long but just thought I'd post for funsies

Hang in there, friend. We'll all get through this together. CUZ WE'RE SONIC HEROEESSS
Going by Brawl's Post-Delay Schedule, we're due for another announcement.

'Course, going by Smash 4's Schedule, we won't get an announcement for another few weeks.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Amaterasu versus Palutena in the Battle Of the goddesses.

Elma versus Fox and/or Wolf in a Fight Between Leaders: (The Leader of BLADE vs The Leader of Star Fox, and Star Wolf)

Sora versus Pit and/or Shulk: Deity Slaying Swordsmen

Shantae versus Bayonetta: A Hair Raising Fight: (Half)Genies versus Witches

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm gonna anger a lot of people with this.

But it's time to put Melee out to greener pastures. It should not be at major competitions like EVO anymore.

You don't see Street Fighter 4, 3, 2, etc at EVO.

You don't see earlier installments of Tekken, etc, etc

Melee should not be entitled to special treatment because it's fans **** a brick if it's left off.

''BUT MELEE IS COMPETITIVE SMASH."

Don't even open that can of worms by saying that because we all know why Melee is the competitive Smash and it's not something that's positive either.

4 has shown a newer installment can be taken seriously and get an audience for competitive Smash. So yeah 4 shouldn't be the one being retired till Ultimate is out.

Melee should be.

Go ahead flame me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I garateed you we are close to new stuff being shown

Especially in august and also they don't have as much room for breathing space for reveals

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
https://i.redd.it/xr53fmebhbd11.jpg

This is obviously a joke since the wait time isn't nearly as long but just thought I'd post for funsies
Hmm? It's not a joke, it's actually a very interesting graphic representation of when characters start getting announced relative to the game's release date, it's actually pretty nice knowing it's not unusual that we're getting zero news on new characters and stuff about the game.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Oh? Go on?
Ok so, we had this rule that's deadline was by the Blog Post that was going to happen yesterday. The leaked claimed the post would be Game and Watch, banking on the fact that it was Fire's anniversary and leaked some stuff. Well, the blog post was not G&W and was instead the Fake Smash Ball, fitting. Then the Blog post got taken down on the blog and Twitter for some reason and that caused some stirrup but I think it's back up now so most likely a mistake,

Then we had an actually believable K. Rool leak on 4chan and all of us went crazy. You couldn't reverse image the image that was posted so we were kinda freaking out, then one of us here were able to find where the image was from. It was fan art kek. This was all yesterday btw.
Hmm? It's not a joke, it's actually a very interesting graphic representation of when characters start getting announced relative to the game's release date, it's actually pretty nice knowing it's not unusual that we're getting zero news on new characters and stuff about the game.
Oh I actually never looked into it. My friend sent to me as a joke and I took it as one as well without actually seeing what it's trying to say. But that is interesting.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
To all of you worrying because Fountain of Dreams is currently MIA, don't worry, they'll reveal it at the Melee EVO finals.
That's a left field character choice if I've ever seen one. Anyone brave enough to do a proper moveset for this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom