• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 155122

You guys seen what happens if you type Nintendo Direct into google?

For us in Europe the date is d/m/y
Also says 3rd of August in the body text there.

This comes up for me when I google search anyway.
That looks like the March 8 direct link

edit: wait a minute that's weird, it does say August 3rd
It is the March 8th Direct. I checked personally.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
No that person is right. Europeans have D/M/Y as well as the link saying Aug 3 2018
I think google is playing up, if you click the link, the video that comes up is the Direct that was shown on March of this year.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The more I think about it, the more I kinda want Sakurai to do that Waluigi fakeout everyone was trying to use as a weak argument when people were still talking about it.

One, the chaos is delicious.

Two, I really want to see the cinematic trailer for that.
A shadowy figure grabs an assist trophy. Out from the trophy spawns Waluigi, who looks around for someone to target. He turns to the person who summoned him and high fives him. Zoom out- it's also Waluigi.

Everyone in the world hears the sound of 3,000 "reactions to Waluigi" videos being uploaded at the same time.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Basically what's happened is this:

Nintendo.com is an american site and uses American dates.

Google reads these as EU dates (the other way round) for us EU users.

I get the same thing when I google Nintendo direct but when you click on it you get the March direct.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
View attachment 155122

You guys seen what happens if you type Nintendo Direct into google?

For us in Europe the date is d/m/y
Also says 3rd of August in the body text there.

This comes up for me when I google search anyway.
My guess is we might get the 3rd of August as a Direct but the site still links to March's direct.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So, here's a question.

If each confirmed character had a rival, who would they have?
Ohhhh, that's a FUN one. I'm gonna give that a go.

I'm going to assume, for the most part, we're talking "Friendly" rivalries here, or at least not flat out Heroes Vs. Villains if it can be helped.

:ultmario: <-> :ultsonic: The Eternal Rivalry
:ultcloud: <-> :ultlink: Fallen Soldiers
:ultryu: <-> :ultlittlemac: Let our fists do the talking
:ultpacman: <-> :ultkirby: Insaitable Appitites
:ultmegaman: <-> :ultrob: 8-Bit R.O.Bot Masters
:ultsnake: <-> :ultwolf: Predatorial Clash
:ultbayonetta: <-> :ultpalutena: Endangered Species
:ultness: <-> :ultmewtwo: The Return of Gigyas...?
:ultsamus: <-> :ultfalcon: Bounty Battle
:ultmarth: <-> :ultridley: Dragon Slayer
:ultpit: <-> :ultdarkpit: The Forces of Nature vs. Palutena's Army
:ultpeach: <-> :ultzelda: Royal Rumble
:ultgreninja: <-> :ultsheik: From the Shadows
:ulttoonlink: <-> :ultvillager: Outgrowing their Nests
:ultshulk: <-> :ultlucina: The Future is Ours to Decide!
:ultzss: <-> :ultwiifittrainer: A Test of Aerobics
:ultkingdedede: <-> :ultbowser: Clash of Kings
:ultpokemontrainer: <-> :ultpikachu:Training for the Pokemon Leauge
:ultinkling: <-> :ultduckhunt: Origin of the N-Zap
:ultluigi: <-> :ultdiddy: Fighting for the Second Controller Port
:ultpichu: <-> :ultbowserjr: Small but Mighty
:ultmetaknight: <-> :ultfalco: Halberd Vs. The Great Fox
:ultlucas: <-> :ultrosalina: Motherly Guidance
:ultrobin <-> :ultcorrin:Draconic Tacticians
:ultgnw: <-> :ultmiifighters:Fighters of Many Faces
:ultike: <-> :ultfox: Merciless Mercenaries
:ultwario: <-> :ultganondorf: Greedy, Greedy Men
:ultolimar: <-> :ultdaisy: A Dance of Flower Petals
:ulticeclimbers: <-> :ultdk: Tropical Freeze
:ultyounglink: <-> :ultroy: Young Swordsmen, Growing Potential
:ultjigglypuff: <-> :ultlucario: An Unorthodox Pokemon Battle
:ultyoshi: <-> :ultdoc: Of Pills and Cookies

Some of these are definitely a stretch, and I could have done some better, but w/e.

Back to catching up on the Weekly Blog Roundup.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wait someone pointed out on Reddit that August 3rd is Sakurai's birthday.
We’re not gonna get a reveal on EVO, butttt...

The Smash community is gonna give Sakurai a happy birthday they have been gearing up to.

I kind of want that to happen.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Were those the last ones you could think of?
Considering I tried to do this with every character, yeah, those were the two I had left over.

Of course they both have other, much more befitting rivals, but the challenge was to use everyone and I tried to get a bit creative.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Were those the last ones you could think of?
I think the puzzle game connection makes sense, tbh

The screencap I put says "in 3 days" in faded text. Did somebody manipulate the link to trick people?
Also confirming the page is for March 8, 2018.
Alright everyone,
It's literally Google misinterpreting the date, as everyone else has said.

Not just pointed at you or anything, but people are getting worked up over a technical error lol

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Considering I tried to do this with every character, yeah, those were the two I had left over.

Of course they both have other, much more befitting rivals, but the challenge was to use everyone and I tried to get a bit creative.
Oh, left over? That stings...:(
I think the puzzle game connection makes sense, tbh
That's not a bad idea

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently, they did try to bring it to EVO. Disney's most likely responsible for it not being there.
One of the few times Disney can’t be blamed for something...same with Marvel and Capcom

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh, left over? That stings...:(

That's not a bad idea
Oh hush, that wasn't me throwing shade at Yoshi, I had several points where I put him in, but then had a different idea for the character he was fighting. :V

I know you're kidding, but sheeeesh.

D

Deleted member

One of the few times Disney can’t be blamed for something...same with Marvel and Capcom
Nah, the tournament organizer claimed that part of the reason the game was excluded was because it's "hard to include a game that doesn't have support. I'm not talking about Capcom," which practically confirms that there was an issue with Disney.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Ok so, we had this rule that's deadline was by the Blog Post that was going to happen yesterday. The leaked claimed the post would be Game and Watch, banking on the fact that it was Fire's anniversary and leaked some stuff. Well, the blog post was not G&W and was instead the Fake Smash Ball, fitting. Then the Blog post got taken down on the blog and Twitter for some reason and that caused some stirrup but I think it's back up now so most likely a mistake,

Then we had an actually believable K. Rool leak on 4chan and all of us went crazy. You couldn't reverse image the image that was posted so we were kinda freaking out, then one of us here were able to find where the image was from. It was fan art kek. This was all yesterday btw.

Oh I actually never looked into it. My friend sent to me as a joke and I took it as one as well without actually seeing what it's trying to say. But that is interesting.
oh golly, yeah, I heard a bit about that stuff

oh yeah, my take on isabelle,

i think isabelle's a great idea. if she's included in a package with other animal crossing characters as alt skins, I think isabelle's a fantastic idea.

justPUNT3R

Smash Apprentice
This is a discussion for Smash Ultimate, not Disney and etc.

dang it, I'm always late for this garbage...

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Then the Blog post got taken down on the blog and Twitter for some reason and that caused some stirrup but I think it's back up now so most likely a mistake,
The Fake Smash Ball blog post was never reuploaded.

It was never taken down on the Japanese blog, though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nah, the tournament organizer claimed that part of the reason the game was excluded was because it's "hard to include a game that doesn't have support. I'm not talking about Capcom," which practically confirms that there was an issue with Disney.
Disney most likely hated the game, preferring Spider-Man PS4 and Lego Marvel 2

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
How do you all feel about assist trophy characters being in Smash? Is it better to be in Smash unplayable than to not be apart of the series at all or would it be the other way around?
Assist Trophies can be fun (especially with Ultimate making them more interactive and allowing more than one at once to spawn) and they allow characters to have an active role in Smash who would have been completely absent otherwise, so I like them. I don't get why some people get so upset over the concept of assist trophies, any character who ends up an assist trophy still wouldn't have been playable if ATs weren't a thing, they would have had no active role in Smash at all and would have just been trophies (or worse, just a sticker), and it's not like being an AT is a condemnation from Sakurai on the character's Smash viability, they just weren't able to beat out their competitors for a roster spot in that specific Smash game, while they can make it next time around if circumstances are better (just like how Little Mac and Charizard made the jump from assist to playable character when the time was better for them). So yeah I would rather have characters I like be ATs and pokeball pokemon than not be in the game at all (I certainly would have preferred Ridley being an AT in Brawl as was originally planned instead of being a boss that led to him being slagged with the "he fits better as a boss" detractions until he made the roster).

Now there is the concern of ATs being disqualified from DLC, however being an AT doesn't necessarily prevent a character from being DLC (the roster is decided before the game begins any development and ATs probably are decided not too long after, long before DLC starts being planned), we don't even know how Ultimate's DLC will be handled and I'm sure Sakurai isn't going to go "whelp they're already an AT can't make them DLC" for a surefire DLC hit. Yeah no ATs got promoted in Smash 4's DLC, but then Smash 4 DLC's simply didn't have any room for it (as it was Mewtwo, cut Melee vet, cut Brawl vet, promotional newcomer from upcoming Nintendo game, and three third parties).

:ultfalcon:: Samurai Goroh...which says a lot about how likely I think F-Zero is to ever get a newcomer...
Back when the Imgur Leak was alive and prominent, I always thought Samurai Goroh was its least believable character on it; not Medusa, not Sora, not Porky in a Spider Mech, not Geno and Mallow team, Goroh was the one character who I couldn't fathom on how he could possibly make the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom