• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh hush, that wasn't me throwing shade at Yoshi, I had several points where I put him in, but then had a different idea for the character he was fighting. :V

I know you're kidding, but sheeeesh.
To be fair, he's getting tired of seeing Yoshi get the short end of the stick.

That menu leak looks very fake, and even if it's real, meh, it's just a menu lmao.
Tell that to the people trying to navigate through the Smash 4 menu.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Back when the Imgur Leak was alive and prominent, I always thought Samurai Goroh was its least believable character on it; not Medusa, not Sora, not Porky in a Spider Mech, not Geno and Mallow team, Goroh was the one character who I couldn't fathom on how he could possibly make the roster.
You said "Goroh" twice in that sentence and I still almost saw the second one as "Goron".

Goron for Smash.

No, not Darunia, not Darmani, not Goron Link, not even Daruk. A regular Goron.
I'm joking.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You said "Goroh" twice in that sentence and I still almost saw the second one as "Goron".

Goron for Smash.

No, not Darunia, not Darmani, not Goron Link, not even Daruk. A regular Goron.
I'm joking.
Biggoron AT would be badass though

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I mean, it is technically quick and straight to the point, just not for immediately killing. It also allows Daisy to copy it by changing the sleep to flowerhead. They will probably change it to something more powerful though.
By "quick and straight to the point" it means the final smash goes straight to its effect and then everyone can resume fighting normally again immediately with minimal disruption to the fight; from putting people to sleep it contradicts this as once the final smash completes everyone is left sleeping and thus without any control for a long time.

Well to be fair, I said Lyn and Krystal were my wake up call, not anyone else's, except probably other supporters of Lyn and Krystal. Also considering that Lyn is one of if not the most popular FE character, and Krystal would mean a new Star Fox rep other than Wolf, I won't call them unlikely.

Of course, there are people that had other characters they wanted but ended up as Assist Trophies(Bomberman, Midna), or characters that were Assist Trophies, but are now in a state of MIA, and uncertainty, and we don't know what might happen to them. As well as a character newcomer Sakurai wanted to implement into the game as a newcomer; Takamaru, but ultimately ended up as an Assist Trophy.
Lyn's popularity didn't became known until very recently, far after Ultimate's project plan was devised, so her recent breakout couldn't have mattered for the roster without having clone potential, while there was the FE overrepresentation issue that made it questionable if Sakurai would even include a new FE character, so I don't see how Lyn could have been considered anything but very unlikely. As for Krystal, Wolf was always going to be prioritized over her and Star Fox wasn't doing so great to make anything more than Wolf likely, while Krystal's popularity is still far from her Brawl peak in her post-Brawl slump, so I also can't see how she could have been considered likely unless one believes Sakurai would have suddenly been very enthralled with her moveset potential.

As for Takamaru, Sakurai never said he wanted to include him, he just said he thought about having him playable in Smash 4 "just for a moment" before dismissing him over concerns of his popularity, so we really have no nonplayable characters besides the currently unknown Geno that Sakurai outright said he wanted to include before.

KMDP

Smash Legend
View attachment 155127

Here's a screenshot of the menu-
The whole animation was kinda janky to me but it looks decently cool anyway *shrug*
Well, that menu is way better than Smash 4's, at least.
Biggoron AT would be badass though
He rises up ("Owwwwwww....") and does nothing. It's a useless AT on any stage except on Midgar (where being able to see the background allows you to see Bahamut Zero's laser).

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
The menu doesn't look obviously fake. People just have the knee jerk reaction to say anything is fake to shield themselves from being disappointed lol.
I'm not saying real, but even when we do get the real leaks, this will inevitably happen. You need to judge with reason instead of just deciding with no thought lol

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, if that "Menu Leak" Was somehow playing a clean, soundless version of the demo's menu theme, I would be inclined to believe it.

But playing a battle rendition of the SMB theme from Mushroom Kingdom U? Yeah, no.

Also why the hell would Smash be below Story, Options, Amiibo, etc? That's absurd. Along with the timer being visible in all the "demo reel" footage.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's pre-Eye Drops Biggoron I presume...
Sure, let's go with that. :laugh:

Biggoron: "Ohhhhhh, my eeeeeyyyyyeeeees.... I neeeeeeeed myyyyyyy eeeeeyyeeedrooooopsssss."
Megalaser: KRZRZRZRZRZ-
Robin: "Guys, do you hear something?
Cloud: *runs*
Pit: "I wonder where he's running off to?"
Boom, everyone dies.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The menu doesn't look obviously fake. People just have the knee jerk reaction to say anything is fake to shield themselves from being disappointed lol.
I'm not saying real, but even when we do get the real leaks, this will inevitably happen. You need to judge with reason instead of just deciding with no thought lol
Well, I don't know if that was directed to me feeling jank about it, but I was talking about the tweening and timing of the entire animation being weird.

Source: I do motion graphics.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly, if that "Menu Leak" Was somehow playing a clean, soundless version of the demo's menu theme, I would be inclined to believe it.

But playing a battle rendition of the SMB theme from Mushroom Kingdom U? Yeah, no.

Also why the hell would Smash be below Story, Options, Amiibo, etc? That's absurd.
Well, in Brawl and Smash 4 Wii U you could use My Music to force the menu to play non-menu songs until you went into something that played it's own music... >_>

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
That menu looks.... interesting, to say the least.

Part of me hopes it's real because I do want a story mode.

But the other part of me is doubtful since it honestly seems absurd for "Smash" not to be at the top of the menu.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Really, the order should be:
Smash​
Online​
Events (if it means "Online Events", though why that would be on the main menu and not as a Sub-Menu idk)​
Story​
Events (if it means "Event Smash")​
Vault​
Amiibo​
Profile​
Options​

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Well, I don't know if that was directed to me feeling jank about it, but I was talking about the tweening and timing of the entire animation being weird.

Source: I do motion graphics.
It wasn't. It's just something that happens consistently in here, every single smash cycle lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like the clean and simple look of that menu.

It's not something Sakurai's wife would typically design though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Smash​
Online​
Events (if it means "Online Events", though why that would be on the main menu and not as a Sub-Menu idk)​
Story​
Vault​
Amiibo​
Profile​
Options​
To extend on this, even this order bugs me.
It should look more like:
Smash​
Smash​
8-Player Smash​
Special Smash​
Tournament Smash​
Smash Tour​
Fortune Smash! (a man can dream)​
Online​
Online Smash​
Ranked Smash​
Notice Board​
Connect to E-Shop...​
Single Player​
Classic Mode​
Story Mode​
All-Star Mode​
Event Smash​
Orders Mode​
Stadium​
Training​
Vault​
Trophies​
Stage Builder​
In-Game Shop​
Achievements​
Options​
Amiibo​

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have noticed the Switch itself as well as many Switch games seem to have very minimalist menu screens. So I actually could maybe see Smash Ultimate having at least a similar menu to what's in that video.

Who knows though especially if Sakurai's wife is again given the task of designing the menu.

I personally didn't hate Smash 4's menu that much. I could get where I wanted to be even if it's a tad more confusing then in previous entries of the series. I could see them bringing back the menu to a more Melee or even SSB64 style though just to add to the nostalgia this game surely will be about with every character back and it releasing close to the 20th year of the franchise's existence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thing that gives the menu away as fake is that amiibo is capitalized. Nintendo never capitalizes it.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I have noticed the Switch itself as well as many Switch games seem to have very minimalist menu screens. So I actually could maybe see Smash Ultimate having at least a similar menu to what's in that video.

Who knows though especially if Sakurai's wife is again given the task of designing the menu.

I personally didn't hate Smash 4's menu that much. I could get where I wanted to be even if it's a tad more confusing then in previous entries of the series. I could see them bringing back the menu to a more Melee or even SSB64 style though just to add to the nostalgia this game surely will be about with every character back and it releasing close to the 20th year of the franchise's existence.
If she is, then I bet she wouldn't go that way of minimalism because she has stuck with a simular Aesthetic for so long...

But a Menu like that guy showed off could be possible if it's another person... but I don't really like smash being minimalist... espically since the menus now look so Smash-4 ish... It kinda bugs me. The menus need more of their own identity

blackghost

Smash Champion
after finally getting to watch the UK Invitational i had some thoughts
'1. ice climbers will be fine. their gameplay will center more on desyncs than a stupid one grab kill, they will be technical and will take time to develop but will be fine long term.
2. ridely will be the best big body by a large margin unless ddd got major improvements.
3. marth, link, and ike are that good. dont want to go into detail but those kits are significantly improved by system mechanics and buffs

4. bayonetta:

ok this is complicated. I am seeing her remain in top tier. i just wanted to say that first however she will lose at LEAST 50 to 60 percent of her playerbase. The reason for this is the skill floor to play her is going way up due to nerfs and system changes.
For her nerfs to witch time, abk, BA, and witch twist all three heavily neuter her nuetral. i got to see her in a match agianst a pretty good marth she had to fish hard. witch twist being smaller and abk not having a second hit on shield means its REALLY bad in nuetral (not that it was ever good) but its an even easier punish.
system changes
the biggest singular change is the air dodge. bayonetta players will have to know how to chase and punish an airdodge and that skill will not be easy to learn or apply. mid and low level players will be able to escape combos with directional airdodge even if they still have no idea how to sdi or di her correctly. meaning at high level players will excel (outside of big bodies) with escaping combos. due to the increased difficulty to establish offense bayonetta players will fish for kills with a buffed fsmash or her go to bair. Ive loked for footage online and i have not found another video of bayonetta landing anything that looked like what plup got hit by. People using this as an example that shes still broken are not using a good example as of right now that combo was either ridely only or entirely on plup not pressing airdodge at all since there is not sdi in the current build.

second change is moves staling on shield. bayonetta cannot fish with bair on a kill percent opponent. when hitting shield bayo cannot afford to stale her singular normal that kills. Doing so may give her shiek's disease.

the character did receive some buffs her witch time is an actual AoE now and she can witch time a projectile properly and deflect it as in her games.
wich time overall utility and time slowed has decreased heavily.no more creative combos just smash attack more than likely. the other buff is to fsmash it comes out a little faster and the last buff ive seen is dabk on shield and she keeps both abk.

overall shes not bad but i expect her to not be dominant with potentially bad mu with popular characters snake, marth, and Pikachu she may not get results for a while until shes labbed out. but i have no doubt she'll be winning again the game mechanics favor her being so offensive and parry is something shes literally built to do already.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Wait, by that image delaying Brawl by two months meant they added Sonic, Toon Link and Wolf.

I could take a delay to Ultimate for three bonus characters.
That isn't how it worked. Toon Link and Wolf weren't late additions that's a misconception, they were always planned characters; they alongside Jigglypuff were just designated low priority characters among some other unknown characters (likely most if not all of the Forbidden Seven) that weren't seen as essential for inclusion, and thus would have been cut if developmental demands forced it (which is why they were kept out of the SSE and are the final characters unlocked).

Then Sonic wasn't added in two months, just his mid-development addition strained the existing developmental resources enough to push back the planned deadline by a couple months. Also from Sakurai's words a new Smash character takes over a year to create, delaying the game a few months doesn't mean you get to add a bunch more characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also I'm predicting we'll get a Donkey Kong or EarthBound song tonight.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315

Like look at how simular Smash Ultimate is with Smash 4, I totally bet there's going to be a simular looking menu. You may have to suffer through Smash 4 again. I'm sorry. But honestly this disappointed me the most.

TsunamiSnivles

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0658 8743 2594
If 10 more, I guess...

I'm always prioritizing 1st party series that have no reps. In this case, I'd add Sin & Punishment, Pushmo, The Wonderful 101, Advance Wars, Chibi Robo, and Arms. I made an exception for Rex & Blades because the moveset potential intrigues the mess out of me. Then there are the 3rd party choices. Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) and Belmont (Castlevania). Those are undeniably iconic series that were popularized on Nintendo's systems before Sony and MS entered the scene. I'd want Bond in (was my ballot choice) because Goldeneye 64 is also HUGE Nintendo history.
I reeeally want more outta advance wars

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Smash​
Online​
Story​
Vault​
Amiibo​
Profile​
Options​
Considering the loz18 leak (I do hope he's truly correct once again) said that we would be getting some new modes shown in a August Direct! I would be generally surprised if one of modes shown off was a new story mode for the game!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm going to be contradictory because I want to and say that it's the Mario 3 Bowser music remix that was in his trailer
Hey I wouldn't mind at all. I love Super Mario Bros. 3. :p

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Like look at how simular Smash Ultimate is with Smash 4, I totally bet there's going to be a simular looking menu. You may have to suffer through Smash 4 again. I'm sorry. But honestly this disappointed me the most.
This isn’t gonna disappoint me one bit, but I want a moveable background

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hey, the Fake Smash Ball is finally up for me!

I wonder if the delay was to get the dates the same - Japan always had it listed as the 31st.

No new music yet

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
The Blog still hasn’t updated and there was that rumor going around about how Game & Watch’s trailer would be revealed today, and it would have solidified Simon and Isabelle in Smash.

Any update on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom