• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Based on demo footage, I'm psyched about Link in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g2O5NC0aDU&feature=youtu.be
As early as it is for definitive competitive predictions, if I had to take a whack at a top 12 for Ultimate, it'd be something like

Ryu, Link, Marth, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Sheik...
and less confidently: C. Falcon, Roy (the engine changes are going to benefit him like mad), Ike, Inkling, Cloud and Diddy Kong
Snake still has one of the best neutral games with his explosives and now Nikita is buffed. You could say that his Down Smash was nerfed but depending on who you ask the mines were kind of useless. If you were any good at Brawl you could just run up and power shield the mines. I'd say Snake bnb is up there. Not sure if he's top tier but he's good.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So, here's a question.

If each confirmed character had a rival, who would they have?
I so want this to be a factor in whatever single player mode there is. Just the whole "destined battle" idea from SC II and III. Bonus points if there's a brief cutscene beforehand.

Everyone should also have a unique rival.

I'll do this with just the set of characters we have now. Some are a lot easier to get a final battle than the others...

:ultmario::ultbowser: - obvious
:ultlink::ultganondorf: - obvious
:ultsamus::ultridley: - obvious
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede: - obvious
:ultpit::ultdarkpit: - clone angst
:ultfox::ultwolf: - obvious
:ultyoshi::ultbowserjr: - Mario side character vs Mario side villain
:ultmewtwo::ultlucario: - I wanted Pika/Mewtwo, but Lucario fits better. Replace me, will ya?
:ultzelda::ultpeach: - The major princesses
:ultrosalina::ultpalutena: - Celestial beings
:ultsonic::ultmegaman: - 90s icons
:ultgnw::ultpacman: - retro icons
:ultluigi::ultdaisy: - Side characters
:ultzss::ultsnake: - Futuristic fighters (with similar outfits)
:ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: - Links of other worlds
:ultlittlemac::ultryu: - Hand to Hand
:ultike::ultroy: - Fire Emblem, emphasis on Fire
:ultrobin:ultlucina: - Awakening crew
:ultsheik::ultgreninja: - Ninja warriors
:ultshulk::ultcloud: - JRPG BFS
:ultfalcon::ultolimar: - That cutscene in SSE: The Captains
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: - OG Pokemon
:ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers: - Retro Duos
:ultness::ultinkling: - Nintendo kids
:ultpichu::ultlucas: - Tryhard Nintendo kids
:ultfalco::ultmetaknight: - Edgy sidekicks
:ultwiifittrainer::ultwario: - Fit and fat
:ultdk::ultdiddy: - Kongs who really need their actual rivals
:ultmarth::ultcorrin: - Fire Emblem
:ultdoc::ultrob: - Retro puzzlers
:ultbayonetta::ultwolf: - uhh...dark outfits?
:ultvillager::ultmiifighters: - Chibis?

Actually going off a bit on the rivalry discussion...

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
I'd say Ridley, but Riddles will naturally go to Samus first.

Therefore Corrin.

:ultcorrin: vs
- Born a Dragon vs. Born a Dragonslayer!

Honorable mention: Charizard

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman

Who of the currently confirmed cast would be most likely to be a rival for your most wanted newcomer?

My most wanted character is Tails, while Tails would be the natural fit with Luigi all because of Mario Vs. Sonic (And of course the doubles battle between those two would be glorious). I would also enjoy it if they played up a rivalry between him and Fox. For of course them being both foxes, good pilots, etc. A battle of the star foxes.
Oh, that's an easy one. Mimikyu vs Pikachu is, like, the whole point of the Pokemon's concept.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Snake still has one of the best neutral games with his explosives and now Nikita is buffed. You could say that his Down Smash was nerfed but depending on who you ask the mines were kind of useless. If you were any good at Brawl you could just run up and power shield the mines. I'd say Snake bnb is up there. Not sure if he's top tier but he's good.
True, I forgot about Snake for a sec. There is a video somewhere I think of Nairo carrying an opponent across the stage with Snake with nair -> nair -> nair -> fair spike, which is ridiculous.
The mines weren't all that helpful, but they could be used to trap landings, and his tilts are already so OP that his new down smash seems kinda superfluous to me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I so want this to be a factor in whatever single player mode there is. Just the whole "destined battle" idea from SC II and III. Bonus points if there's a brief cutscene beforehand.

Everyone should also have a unique rival.

I'll do this with just the set of characters we have now. Some are a lot easier to get a final battle than the others...

- Born a Dragon vs. Born a Dragonslayer!
vs Kazuma Kiryu

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Heihachi's rival?

The only legit one would be :ultryu:.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
True, I forgot about Snake for a sec. There is a video somewhere I think of Nairo carrying an opponent across the stage with Snake with nair -> nair -> nair -> fair spike, which is ridiculous.
The mines weren't all that helpful, but they could be used to trap landings, and his tilts are already so OP that his new down smash seems kinda superfluous to me.
Mines are probably more useful in a multiplayer Free For All.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what, I have a fun game for us to play...

Name the number one character from each Franchise that you know isn't going to be in Smash (like ever), but would love to see
I'll go first
Mario: Fawful
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong
Wario: Captain Syrup
Metroid: Mother Brain's Final form in Super Metroid
Zelda: Vaati or Tingle
MOTHER: Kumatora
Star Fox: James Mc.Cloud
Punchout: Mr.Sandman
Pokemon: Braixen
Fire Emblem: I dunno, Lyn?
Sonic: Blaze
Kid Icarus: Magnus
F-Zero: Deadborn
Kirby: Gooey
Metal Gear: Raiden
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
PAC-MAN: Tac-Man
Xenoblade: Dunban
Street Fighter: Alex
Final Fantasy: Noctis
Bayonetta: Father Rodin
Splatoon: Dj Ocatvio
(if Castlevania does get in: Trevor Belmont)
For stuff I have interest in...

Mario: Foreman Spike (wouldn't hurt to have the proto-Waluigi)
Donkey Kong: Chunky Kong
Wario: Dribble & Spitz (do combos count?)
Metroid: Weevil (well, any bounty hunter that isn't Sylux, really)
Star Fox: Pigma Dengar
Punch-Out: Bear Hugger
Sonic: Ray
Kid Icarus: Pandora
F-Zero: Ms. Arrow
Kirby: Rick, Coo & Kine
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Street Fighter: R. Mika
Final Fantasy: Gilgamesh
Konami in general: Sparkster

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Just adding some fuel to the fire for a potential announcement at EVO. One of the Evo staff guys posted this earlier, could be Soul Calibur, Tekken or any other game related, but we can dream, right?

https://twitter.com/MarkMan23/status/1024209622368837634

If anything, I do highly expect news from other fighting game franchises such as G's reveal for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, a new character reveal for SoulCalibur VI and so on.

I'm not 100% certain whether Smash Ultimate would get any news at EVO, but if they do, I really hope they can surprise us. I would love it if they unveiled Heihachi Mishima as a playable character for Ultimate!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
EVO is the only way is see them adding Heihachi in Smash. It's the only logical time to reveal him. If there isn't a reveal I highly doubt Mishima will be in the base roster. Perhaps he'll follow Ryu's previous steps and will instead become potential DLC in the future.

Surely the next newcomer will be a 3rd party...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
EVO is the only way is see them adding Heihachi in Smash. It's the only logical time to reveal him. If there isn't a reveal I highly doubt Mishima will be in the base roster. Perhaps he'll follow Ryu's previous steps and will instead become potential DLC in the future.

Surely the next newcomer will be a 3rd party...
Unless if you count Geno as a third party (which let’s be real, EVO isn’t the time to reveal him) then it might be Simon.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Want it to happen, but it won't.
Haha, well honestly I think whatever is revealed may actually be someone unrelated to another fighting game.
Despite it being at EVO.

Though, watch them do another bomb of information (a reasonably smaller one, but still multiple tidbits at once)

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Small brain: they're gonna announce Heihachi at EVO because of all the leaks
Big brain: they're gonna announce [insert other fighting game character here] at EVO because it's a fighting game tournament
Galaxy brain: they're gonna announce Ragna the Bloodedge at EVO because Blazblue already has a presence on the Switch and ArcSys is making it a point to tell people to watch EVO

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Marx - Ridley. Marx is trying to prove he's the best purple space villain with wings.

Kamek - Yoshi, obviously.

Decidueye - Charizard. Decidueye is weak to both Fire and Flying.

Bandana Dee - Roy. Small friendly rivalry over who has the best headwear (I got nothing)

Maxwell - Pac Man. A small, almost irrelevant character who creates VS a Gaming Icon who does nothing but consume and destroy.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Actually it's not, plenty of fighting games do that at EVO, it's just that Smash never did even when it had the chance multiple times
I agree that there probably won't be any reveals for Smash at EVO. However, to play devil's advocate with an argument used time and again, they only have 5 months to show us whatever they want us to know before Ultimate releases, compared to the 1-2 year pre-release window Brawl and Smash 4 had. They might take any opportunity they can to show us something.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Imagine if foreman spike was in this game and its litrally waluigi under a diffrent alter ego confirming all those theories

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For the record that Twitter post did say make sure to watch on Championship Sunday so if Smash Ultimates little Tournament thing isn't Sunday then you can rule out a reveal. I highly doubt they'd announce something for Ultimate after the Melee finals.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm gonna be the madman here

But I don't expect any new info at all on EVO

and the same E3 demo build
Or we get a new demo build that only consists of Mario and Sonic...and Pit

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
EVO isn't going to give us any new info. I mean there's a first for everything.

But I highly doubt a company who is still warming to the concept of competitive Smash would give a reveal for it as such a staple of competitive gaming.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Cloud probably makes the most sense as Eight's rival, given they're both from Square Enix series and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are seen as "rival" series (espically before Square and Enix merged and the franchises were brought under one roof).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

For K. Rool, DK’s the obvious choice, Bowser is the fun choice since they’re both reptile kings

As for my other really wanted characters

Skull Kid - Young Link (can’t really think of anyone else)

Porky - Ness as the obvious choice, but Bowser Jr. as the fun one since they’re both fighters who use mechs to make up for their young age

Banjo-Kazooie - Duck Hunt, there can only be one mammal-bird duo

Classic Ganon - I don’t want to do one of the Links, so I guess maybe Zelda since they both have their Link to the Past designs. Maybe Dedede, since they’re both large kings with large weapons.

Waluigi - Luigi. There’s really no other option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom