• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
OK, i'm calling it now, Elma's gonna be revealed by the end of the month.
Why do you think that?

We were just told reveals will be coming "closer to December." So, with that in mind, why do you think we will get a character reveal this soon?

(Side Note: only on the internet will you find people attacking others over liking different music then them. Quality content.)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You type like a "dang kid" and a "BLASTED WHIPPERSNAPPER", so I'm going to try to deal you some of my 20 year-old "grandpa wisdom", if that's okay with you.

Have you ever considered that you live in a system that's built to appeal to you and teach you to disregard what us "old folks" say is quality? Of course not, because that would mean that you'd stop shelling out your parent's money for all the candy-coated garbage that most modern game developers are shoveling out these days.
Is there a reason you feel it necessary to personally attack the opinions of everyone else or is it just you being persnickety, "grandpa?"

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I actually like the New L.A. night theme unironically, I wonder if there's something wrong with me lol.
Games geared towards older audiences I'd guess. More mature character development and stories, etc.
I doubt it but that works, that'd be pretty interesting if that's the route we're actually going to go down, more characters from games with mature storylines and/or characters with mature themes wouldn't be weird but actually focusing on them would be really unexpected for Smash imo.
Also, characters with mature stories? Dark Matter confirmed.
If you go back and watch the interview in question, he's talking about how old school Melee fans prefer the old veteran characters, but that new fans instead gravitate to the newer additions to the roster. I don't have the full interview in front of me (don't even know what question he was asked to prompt this response) but it sounds like he's explaining how bringing back everyone was important because there are fans of every character.
I didn't know that part, thanks for telling me, learning that is really cool honestly. Anyway, he was asked what kind of characters the newcomers would gravitate towards, and all of them were new characters from new series to be added in Smash 4, so I guess he could just be saying expect more new things lol, perhaps it's just basic PR talk.
Fanservice I guess.

All of them are characters that were added thanks to big popularity.

Cloud, he was the most popular FF character according to Sakurai.
He was basically a meme before his inclusion, a character that would never happen, no matter how popular he is.

Bayonetta, "ballot winner"... yeah.

Shulk, one of the most wanted characters during Smash 4's speculation from a very niche, but loved game.
Didn't realize this either, but yeah, you're right, they all were heavily requested, Bayonetta was (even though I'm certain the ballot was rigged she undeniably was a popular choice), Cloud was, Shulk was, and even if we add more Xenoblade characters, Elma and Rex + Pyra are as well, it checks out.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You type like a "dang kid" and a "BLASTED WHIPPERSNAPPER", so I'm going to try to deal you some of my 20 year-old "grandpa wisdom", if that's okay with you.

Have you ever considered that you live in a system that's built to appeal to you and teach you to disregard what us "old folks" say is quality? Of course not, because that would mean that you'd stop shelling out your parent's money for all the candy-coated garbage that most modern game developers are shoveling out these days.
>telling people they’re childish on a website based on a Nintendo game
>insulting people, signs that the person isn’t making a strong argument but is actually more pissed about something
>is acting more childish than the users he’s attacking.

Bruh, you’re entitled to your opinion. I get it, you prefer older games and there’s nothing wrong with that. I didn’t play much of X, and from what a close friend of mine told me he thought it was trash.

However, you’re better off letting people like what they like. Enjoy what you prefer. Obviously generations of people will enjoy different things. That’s quite literally human nature.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wouldn't call a new character model, bike, and parasail low effort. Call me crazy but there's almost certainly gonna be more. I think this makes the 22nd Direct more likely than anything. It's still MK8 DLC whether we want to admit it or not...
Well, the character model's tad low-effort though, it's clearly SS Link meant to look like BOTW Link essentially.

Bike + Paraglider I can though.

The fella with that Sunday Direct Leak has one more day to prove himself.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You say "piece" as if it's a masterpiece. In which case, I feel pretty confident in the fact that nobody will attack me if I say, "you have **** taste in music."

You have **** taste in music.

I'm going to keep ****ting on X, because honestly, it's my favorite of the two to **** on. It genuinely deserves the criticism.

Don't even come at me with that "the characters and story aren't the main focus" bull. EVERYTHING ABOUT A GAME SHOULD BE THE MAIN FOCUS. The fact that you think this is actual good game design really makes me question why I'm replying to you in the first place. If certain aspects of a game aren't good, then you have half a good game, except Xenoblade X isn't even that. There is no "more emphasis on _____ and _____", that's just a horrible excuse for having plain bad or underdeveloped features.

Oh yeah, grinding enemies is always awesome in every game. I especially love hanging around the same area in a game with more emphasis on exploration instead of actually exploring. Speaking of exploring, I love finding nothing special in the areas I explore, except some crystals that are meant to represent items and things I need a story cut-scene to interact with. Quests are also good, especially the ones that involve MORE GRINDING. Very enjoyable, indeed.

And I didn't even diss Xenoblade 1? I think I just said I hate people with generic anime designs, but made sure to come back and state that I actually liked Xenoblade 1.
Wait so you like Xenoblade X? Heh, to be real here it’s still fun and good in my opinion.

Anyways beside from responding to you, I don’t find many interests in more older character like King K. Rool, Geno, Banjo, whatever. Those types of characters don’t appeal to me like characters like Elma or Issac (Issac isn’t that new but I like him). It’s always why I’m having a grudge on the choices from the ballot many people think will join.

A majority of the characters are older characters that only 20 year olds or older and few very knowledgeable kids (like me, I’m 15) would know, without taking into account of the new players or generation.

Bill Trinen even said that many newer younger players have liked characters like Bayonetta and the Xenoblade Characters, meaning that the new generation of kids/teens have had an enough of an impact that the team took notice. That’s also why I think Bayonetta did well on the ballot, since many newer Nintendo probably knew who she was and became characters they liked and wanted in Smash, and why she was such a curveball to us.

Really I think we’ll get some older characters like King K. Rool and Geno, but some newer unexpected faces may show up as well.

Issac is sort of in the middle range since he is recognized by older AND some younger fans due to his franchise being right smack in the middle of the 2000’s.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Why do you think that?

We were just told reveals will be coming "closer to December." So, with that in mind, why do you think we will get a character reveal this soon?

(Side Note: only on the internet will you find people attacking others over liking different music then them. Quality content.)
I feel like the whole "Closer to December" thing is just PR talk for "Please be patient", literally any day can be considered closer to december.

D

Deleted member

For me, I consider hair and skin color integral to a character's identity. I don't really like any of Lucina's alts, for example, because once you change the hair she's not really Lucina anymore, imo. It's different for characters like Robin or Inkling where the whole point is that they don't have a defined, canon look.
I get what you're saying, but do you have the same opinion regarding a tanned Daisy alt? It is technically still Daisy, just based on her older look.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
You say "piece" as if it's a masterpiece. In which case, I feel pretty confident in the fact that nobody will attack me if I say, "you have **** taste in music."

You have **** taste in music.
No, because taste is subjective.

Nothing is wrong with liking something that's built to appeal to you. This is exactly the kind of mindset that leads to the unnecessary and toxic "Modern music is trash" and "Pop music sucks" stigma which I find frankly ridiculous. I enjoy a lot of modern music just as much as some of the classic rock hits and the same applies to games. Personally, I prefer a lot of modern games over the games that I grew up like Super Mario Sunshine as game designers refined and improved game mechanics and learned from the failures of previous games. imo a lot of games have aged poorly.

And remember that games were rushed out the door, built for money and designed to appeal to you from the dawn of commercial gaming. That isn't a new revelation. Same for music, a lot of people praise the Beatles now but back in the day they were the same "commercial trash" with their own marketed lunchboxes etc that a lot of people rant about today.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Wambo Wambo

If I can be frank for a second.

It seems like you're just lashing out at new things and idolizing the old. Your criticisms seem more personal than objective and you come off like you take offense to anything that isn't the golden oldies.

I feel like that concept is baffling to you because you're insulting Xenoblade X every chance you get and tried to prove it was awful (in a hilarious backfire I might add, and I agree that Night New LA is bleck).

You are making lines where there don't need to be lines and are just coming off as insecure about your likes, dude.
I like plenty of new things, but you can go ahead and make it seem like I don't to discredit my criticisms about stuff you like (again, Xenoblade X is actually awful). Speaking of liking things, I like your usage of the "golden oldies" to enforce your claim that all I think is good is from "four score and seven years ago."

I'm trying to look for this "hilarious backfire" you're talking about, and the only thing I see are people throwing a bunch of songs around. I can do that too.
If you want a "hilarious backfire" all I have to do is look up the cringiest Tatsu clip and it's all over.

Really though, all I'm doing is stating my criticisms for X and you don't like it. Quit pretending like you're morally right, because if there's anyone who looks insecure about something here, it's you.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Since one verbal warning didn’t work...

Posting messages meant to attack someone is considered flaming. In addition, attacking a franchise, a game, and its fans is unnecessary and not constructive discussion. People can express an opinion without using personal attacks and incendiary language to convey a message.

In addition, replying to said messages is considered spam and is easily avoided by simply ignoring the post and carrying on with the civil discussion. Replying to questionable messages can result in warnings so do keep that in mind. Finally, even if you disagree with an unpopular opinion, attacking someone for it isn’t conductive to proper conversation.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I get what you're saying, but do you have the same opinion regarding a tanned Daisy alt? It is technically still Daisy, just based on her older look.
In this case of tanned Daisy, my opinion is it's an unnecessary palette swap because it's too visually similar to standard Daisy. Don't need two yellow dresses just to reference an outdated design.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Oof this thread got loud and annoying...anyway...

New Topics to get off these opinion wars:

Possible new Assist Trophies

Possible new Stages

Who likely performed well in the ballot and how are their chances for Ultimate?
Any Xenoblade X stage is my most wanted stage, My preferred one is NLA since cities are cool and smash doesn't have enough modern settings like cities, maybe even having it be based on chapter 8 where the city is being attacked would be super cool. Other than the Sylvalum and Noctilum would both be gorgeous.

I'd also love a stage based off of Homecoming Hijinx from Tropical Freeze, it'd be nice to finally have a DK stage that isn't a jungle setting and the music would be incredible.

In terms of assists I'd love to see Cranky or Funky, Cranky could come in and attack with his cane and shoot his dentures and Funky could ride around on his surfboard, creating a wave over the stage, maybe you could ride on it with him as well like with go goat.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
While we're on Xenoblade Chronicles X, I kinda like the cognitive dissonance New L.A. with the suburban aesthetic alongside the high concept sci-fi elements. As such the accompanying song unironically fits...

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
For me, I consider hair and skin color integral to a character's identity. I don't really like any of Lucina's alts, for example, because once you change the hair she's not really Lucina anymore, imo. It's different for characters like Robin or Inkling where the whole point is that they don't have a defined, canon look.
I respectfully disagree (because again all of Palutena’s alts heavily suffer from this by blurring together in an unmemorable mess) but I can kind of understand where you’re coming from. But having a dedicated 8 alt per character, at least to me, is pointless if you refuse to change said colors in some of those alts. The whole point of alts is that they’re alternative options to the main design of the established character. And when they start to blend together I think that’s showing a problem with a game.

And again part of that problem is that even characters like villager, who are characters designed with that undefined interchangeable look, get the same treatment. It certainly isn’t as bad as say Pac-Man’s alts but it’s committing the same sin, if that makes sense.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
In this case of tanned Daisy, my opinion is it's an unnecessary palette swap because it's too visually similar to standard Daisy. Don't need two yellow dresses just to reference an outdated design.
They can have a tanned Daisy is a different colored dress, but yeah, I doubt they would have tan Daisy in the same yellow dress.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think it could work, her dress was more yellow than orange back then and it had white on it too and her hair as well as her skin was darker, plus she had the pink crown, there've been alts that were more similar in the past.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Question: what's the cutoff for music from new games getting into Smash? I've been having a blast with the Octopath Traveler soundtrack (even though I haven't gotten my hands on it yet) and it'd be awesome to have this in Smash. (Also, being published by Nintendo makes the game fair game for easy inclusions like this right? People through around "Sqaure Enix" so much I don't know if it's on the level of a separate studio like HAL Laboratories/Monolith Soft or still 3rd party like SMRPG)

D

Deleted member

Fair enough. I thought they could be different enough sense old Daisy's dress has white accents while current Daisy's dress has orange accents, but then I remembered how much more detailed the dresses are in Smash... Then again, I'm pretty tolerant of similar looking alts, as I have both Fire Luigi and his weird white/dark green Melee alt in my Smash 4 build.

Her final smash should involve her 3rd eye though

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Fair enough. I thought they could be different enough sense old Daisy's dress has white accents while current Daisy's dress has orange accents, but then I remembered how much more detailed the dresses are in Smash... Then again, I'm pretty tolerant of similar looking alts, as I have both Fire Luigi and his weird white/dark green Melee alt in my Smash 4 build.

Her final smash should involve her 3rd eye though
I mean, in my modded builds I don't care at all about similar looking palettes. I just think the default 8 should make a conceited effort to stay visually distinct. Of course, plenty of characters have alts that look much too similar for my tastes anyway, but that doesn't mean I want other characters to suffer from that, too.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I’m not saying you’re wrong but Sakurai already has a thing for putting in very visually similar palettes for characters:
0E9D360B-43D7-4126-8576-5093BAFCC9ED.png

Also I think a Tan Daisy alt would work if you focused more on the yellow and white than Daisy’s current orange?
AA6A9014-CD14-4006-91C1-F6B412E1265C.png

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
you don't like BOTW?
I don't think it's a bad game but I found it to be pretty disappointing and a lot of the choices Nintendo made with it were really annoying or poorly thought out.

Link's bombs getting changed and his hookshot being scrapped are just bonus annoyance points.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I respectfully disagree (because again all of Palutena’s alts heavily suffer from this by blurring together in an unmemorable mess) but I can kind of understand where you’re coming from. But having a dedicated 8 alt per character, at least to me, is pointless if you refuse to change said colors in some of those alts. The whole point of alts is that they’re alternative options to the main design of the established character. And when they start to blend together I think that’s showing a problem with a game.

And again part of that problem is that even characters like villager, who are characters designed with that undefined interchangeable look, get the same treatment. It certainly isn’t as bad as say Pac-Man’s alts but it’s committing the same sin, if that makes sense.
Palutena alts...unmemorable?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I’m not saying you’re wrong but Sakurai already has a thing for putting in very visually similar palettes for characters:
View attachment 153728

Also I think a Tan Daisy alt would work if you focused more on the yellow and white than Daisy’s current orange?
View attachment 153729
See, I wouldn't even consider Palutena to be that bad of an offender of this. It's not Sakurai's fault Palutena's hair takes up 80% of her design. Well, I guess technically it is, lol.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's an idea.

Give your reason for wanting your most most wanted character
Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Palutena alts...unmemorable?
...Yes?

I mean often Palutena’s most striking feature is her hair due to how large it is, and every SINGLE one of her alts has that same green hair. It’s not a matter of saying they’re bad it’s saying “I was presented 8 barely changed variations on one thing and thus they all blur together in my mind”

Changing just the hair or her skin tone would make any single one of those alts actually be visually distinct in my brain and let me remember them. But for now they’re always going to be bland due to oversaturation of the same imagery.

In a game where 8 people are expected to be playing at the same time sometimes with the same character, extra effort needs to be put into making each alt distinct. And putting a personal restriction by not allowing skin tone or hair to be changed just hurts the game in my opinion.

I’m probably biased because I literally explicitly study the art of character design and variety but I really cannot say anything but “this character has bad alternate colors” if they’re anything like Palutena’s hdvcchxbcg

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I prefer when costumes change the characters hair color. I don't like the specific shade of blue used for most of the Fire Emblem characters hair and I'm glad that Lucina's costumes exist to remedy that. Unfortunately, Ike and Marth only have costumes with that specific shade of blue. :(

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Here's an idea.

Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a brief explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur ) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy. I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Oh boy...

As far as I can tell, Boshi was supposed to represent what Yoshi ISN'T, similar to Wario (his Japanese name is Washi btw). By developing the character, it could give insight to not only him but also to Yoshi. However, I kinda feel that his potential was wasted in the original game and just made him a Yoshi with an attitude problem. I want him to be brought back from obscurity in any way possible in order to get a second chance at life.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The good news is that the balance department made sure you wouldn't have to look at Palutena's alts too much in Smash 4. Given the problems her fundamental moveset has and that neither of her main useful tools from 4 are here (Superspeed, Lightweight), they might have the same plan in motion for Ultimate!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Here's an idea.

Don't try to sell me on the character, just give a explanation on why they're important to you and why you want them.

As a (amateur) character designer, Ashley's solid design immediately stood out to me when I saw her in Smash 4.
I started to really like her when I figured out who she was and where she came from, her lonely nature and want for friendship really struck a chord with me at the time as I was a pretty lonely guy myself. I also think she'd be fun to play with great moveset potential and I would love it if a character I connected with made it into one of my favorite games of all time.
Brian from Quest 64(there's a surprise).

For me, it's not just one of my favorite games, but Brian is one of the most simplistic yet appealing rpg protagonists, while being silent too. He comes with a wide variety of spells that can be used that represent the 4 elements(and variable off-stuff like ice). I love this idea. I love the idea of using his character to slowly level up during battle to become stronger, basically being able to play the grind game. Something that's not often done in Smash. Lucario has it via Aura, but I can't think of any other character who can last long due to their own gameplay mechanic. Sure, there's the obvious Super Armor and Rage, but Lucario is the only unique one otherwise.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
As the person who unintentionally started the whole hat goomba thing for waddle dee I want to clarify what I meant.

I was asking a legitimate question trying to understand waddle Dee's popularity. I asked how he is different than if a goomba with a hat and a fire flower was made a major Mario character since he is not given a personality as far as I know to differentiate himself from generic waddle Dee's, just the hat and the spear copy ability. Obviously hat goomba is something that no one would care about and obviously people care about bandana Dee so I legitimately wanted to know what the difference was since there clearly was one.

I never intended it to be used as detraction.

Although to be honest it's kind of cool to see something I said kind of catch on. My stuff never catches on.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
...Yes?

I mean often Palutena’s most striking feature is her hair due to how large it is, and every SINGLE one of her alts has that same green hair. It’s not a matter of saying they’re bad it’s saying “I was presented 8 barely changed variations on one thing and thus they all blur together in my mind”

Changing just the hair or her skin tone would make any single one of those alts actually be visually distinct in my brain and let me remember them. But for now they’re always going to be bland due to oversaturation of the same imagery.

In a game where 8 people are expected to be playing at the same time sometimes with the same character, extra effort needs to be put into making each alt distinct. And putting a personal restriction by not allowing skin tone or hair to be changed just hurts the game in my opinion.

I’m probably biased because I literally explicitly study the art of character design and variety but I really cannot say anything but “this character has bad alternate colors” if they’re anything like Palutena’s hdvcchxbcg
I might be bias as well, but I enjoy Palutena having alts that reference her original getup and Uprising characters like Viridi
Oh boy...

As far as I can tell, Boshi was supposed to represent what Yoshi ISN'T, similar to Wario (his Japanese name is Washi btw). By developing the character, it could give insight to not only him but also to Yoshi. However, I kinda feel that his potential was wasted in the original game and just made him a Yoshi with an attitude problem. I want him to be brought back from obscurity in any way possible in order to get a second chance at life.
Or we keep him with Birdo

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here's an idea.

Right, mine is King K. Rool.

My first Smash game was Melee, and I played it together with cousins and friends back in the day. I had a N64, GameCube, PS1 and GameBoy Colour. On the GameBoy Colour, I had Donkey Kong Country 1. And I was terrible at it, but it was really fun. As time passed on, and Brawl was announced, the internet was becoming more accessable, and I remember seeing a website called "Super Smash Online/Ultimate" or some stuff back then, which listed over 100 characters, with game of origin, and even a sample of what their victory theme might be. A lot of crazy and wacky character choices from different Nintendo series made me appreciate the varity of the Nintendo catalouge, and on DK's side, there was a green fella who I remembered, not only from my copy of DKC1, but from a Trophy in Melee. Yes, it was King K. Rool. I remember going through a lot of the Melee trophies thinking of the designs, who would be interesting as a playable fighter, and I was a kid back then. I always thought that King K. Rool looked pretty awesome!

Now, back to Brawl, we got confirmation on Diddy Kong's debut, and I was thrilled. I loved Diddy Kong in DKC1, and having one more character from the DK series in general felt like a blessing. Now that Diddy was here, perhaps it's time for King K. Rool next? He became my most wanted character, alongside another F-Zero representative (mainly Goroh, but Black Shadow followed right behind), and a wacky introduction to a little blue puppet named Geno, who I also saw on that website btw. A lot of people, including myself at the time were very confused as to who owned King K. Rool, the kremlins and most of the DK characters made by RARE, but it still never stopped me from wanting the King. Seeing Wolf in Brawl made me even more eager, as more series got their villains, and I was still holding out for mine, and while Brawl might have come and passed, an announcement of Smash 4 would make a huge impact for me, when it comes to Smash speculation. As it was around that time I started my quest at SmashBoards as an active member. Thanks to that website back then, and more interest in the series, I had a great knowledge on Nintendo's catalouge and history, which made the speculation much more fun. Here, I started speculation with many other eager fans, and one of the biggest were for my most wanted, King K. Rool.

Things were not looking great for Donkey Kong content in general, and a lot of people who felt really great, started to quake in fear, as the game came closer to launch. No Ridley, no Krystal, no Waluigi, no Isaac or Golden Sun content, no Bandana Dee ... and no DK content. It was a sad time for big names, and their supporters, while we were happy for the ones who got in. Soon, the talk of DLC and the fighter Ballot was a turning point in the dark ages, and everyone who were down because of their mains not making it, were finally back on top, fighting for their stars, adverticing, being vocal, and friendly of supporting each other. A very interesting time. Until Corrin. Everyone and their grandmother was shocked that THEIR CHARACTER got shafted for a who!? At that time, everyone felt used, and dissapointed. It was not until recently we figured out that the Ballot would not be for Smash 4, but a game that had been secretly in developement. I was lucky, since I got my boy the Mii Costume, so I got at least something, but others were not that lucky, poor Dix, Waddle Dee, and Ridley for example.

Now that Smash Ultimate seems to make the stars align even further, my fuel for another round, after almost drowning once more is back, and not only swimming on the waves, but feeling the fresh wind cooling down with sunshine reflected on my shades. Yes, it's a great time to be alive. It's great to be back, even if I support a lot of characters, it's because I love Smash, and I want to see unique additions, fan requested dreams, and my own little wish come true! Perhaps this time will be the chance, my one and true wish, since pre-Brawl will come true. And that, my friend, is why I want King K. Rool as a playable in Smash. Have a good night.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I might be bias as well, but I enjoy Palutena having alts that reference her original getup and Uprising characters like Viridi
Oh no yeah I love reference alts it’s just... why make the reference if you’re not even going to change her hair to the same blonde hair Viridi has. It’s just shooting it’s foot of referencing by unnecessarily holding back the reference AND shooting it’s OTHER foot by making it visually indistinct from the other alts

Edit: it’s like “go big or go home” if you’re not going all the way then it’s just gonna come off as kinda lazy at best?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Here's an idea.

You already gave a pretty good summary for Ashley, so I'll hit you with the character who's a close second to Ashley in my list.

I want Phoenix Wright simply because Ace Attorney is one of my favorite series of all time. The characters are great, the mysteries the game poses are always amazing, and the series is what started my interest in pursuing a career in law. The series just means a lot to me, since I've been a fan of it for as long as I can remember, and I would just really love to see the main character of the series make his way into the biggest crossover in gaming history.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
As the person who unintentionally started the whole hat goomba thing for waddle dee I want to clarify what I meant.

I was asking a legitimate question trying to understand waddle Dee's popularity. I asked how he is different than if a goomba with a hat and a fire flower was made a major Mario character since he is not given a personality as far as I know to differentiate himself from generic waddle Dee's, just the hat and the spear copy ability. Obviously hat goomba is something that no one would care about and obviously people care about bandana Dee so I legitimately wanted to know what the difference was since there clearly was one.

I never intended it to be used as detraction.

Although to be honest it's kind of cool to see something I said kind of catch on. My stuff never catches on.
tbh I'd like a hat goomba.

We've even got one ready to go right here!
I don't know how Sakurai would bring a Goomba into Smash but I'm sure it'd be hilarious lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The good news is that the balance department made sure you wouldn't have to look at Palutena's alts too much in Smash 4. Given the problems her fundamental moveset has and that neither of her main useful tools from 4 are here (Superspeed, Lightweight), they might have the same plan in motion for Ultimate!
It's still too early to make any good predictions about Palutena in Ultimate, but it's been suggested before that she could be stronger as compensation for not having those overpowered customs.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here's an idea.

Alright, so Kazuya from Shin Megami Tensei.
He's got a SORD and a GUN and he can summon DEMONS and THAT'S COOL, YO

... okay, real answer.
He's my idea of the perfect antithesis from a regular JRPG protagonist.
Medieval times? how about modern day post apocalypse?
Chosen one? How about a guy living with his mom?
Stopping the apocalypse? How about failing that and living past it?
Having magic? How about getting your powers from a computer program?
A group of loving friends to support you? How about broken people, turned to ideological extremes willing to kill?
A party of friends with their own specific roles? How about murderous demons you have to talk into joining you?
An ending achieved where everyone's happy? How about 3 depressing endings with 1 slightly less bad ending than the rest?

Plus, he just has this cool retro-scifi cyperpunk look I really dig
SMT1 Kazuya.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom