• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I've ALWAYS wanted Simon in Smash Bros. The Vergeben leak was nice, but NOT seeing Simon as an AT right away made me especially optimistic.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ok, so I wanna think of another game.

Sell me on some potential newcomers I’ll name, in fifty words or less. What makes them unique? What do they represent? What’s their move set potential? Any other perks?

I’ll start with these three potential newcomers:

- Ashley
- Bandana Dee (I already support him, but I’m listing him here anyway)
- Decidueye

Go!
Since I don't know enough about Ashley and Bandana Dee, and don't really care enough about Decidueye, I'll have to abstain from this stage of the game.

(Also this game seems very similar to a certain game I came up with which is now a thread in itself :laugh:)
don't get your hopes up lol I really don't think he'll get in

Honestly, it's because he's a one hit wonder with no explanation for his fanbase.

He's just as relevant as Mallow, yet no one's backing him, even though he could be just as unique as Geno. Imo Mallow is even more relevant to the plot of SMRPG than Geno, you meet him first too. Yet no one's asking for him, it's all about Geno? Geno doesn't have any more potential than any other popular character, I really don't see the buzz behind him.

It's called the Mushroom Kingdom yet we have no playable Toad, who has two games to himself, technically four. Toad has more games to himself than Geno has ever been in. Nor do we have Paper Mario, who has his own series of characters and partners.

I'll be honest, if Geno was Nintendo's property and appeared consistently in the Mario series? Yeah, I still wouldn't favor him because I always preferred Mallow, but it'd make sense for him to be in. Right now though? All he has going for him is popularity. That's it. Any other character can be unique like him, (in my opinion) any other character is more visually appealing (a wooden puppet with a cape isn't much), and any other character has more relevance. Why Geno?

Even if he did really well on the ballot, I'm sure Goku and Shrek did too. I get how they won't get in because obvious reasons, but Geno's popularity has always turned me off when there's not much to him. He has one appearance, it isn't even to himself, and people think he should be in Smash? I don't understand :(

If he does get in, it's gonna be great for his fans!!! I'd be really happy for them because to go from rags to riches like that is really cool. And I won't lie, a lot of things can be done with Geno, he definitely is a versatile character, a moveset could be easily made up for him. But I think it'd really shaft Toad fans and PM fans when they both have many more reasons to be included and are relevant to their series today. Geno would only be added because of some votes on some poll but that alone shouldn't warrant an inclusion at all imo

I will admit though that if Geno gets in with Mallow then that'd make it a bit better, because prioritizing Geno over Mallow despite them having the same amount of merit is wack to me

sorry for making that so long :'^)

you too vaan?? :(

Geno fans are everywhere now!!! :'^( why is Geno so popularrrrrr
I was asleep during the Geno discussion, but up to a point I actually agree with you on the Geno thing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since I don't know enough about Ashley and Bandana Dee, and don't really care enough about Decidueye, I'll have to abstain from this stage of the game.

(Also this game seems very similar to a certain game I came up with which is now a thread in itself :laugh:)

I was asleep during the Geno discussion, but up to a point I actually agree with you on the Geno thing.
Yeah but is it in fifty words or less? ;)

As for Geno...I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

(Smashboards why must you postblock me like this with ur lagginess aaaaaaaaa)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, if there's one thing I miss from Smash 4 speculation, it's the comics that Dragonith did about the Smash ballot. With any luck, we might get another one someday. In the meantime, they both poke lightly at some of the sillier suggestions and give out some hope for characters people genuinely want.

But seriously though, some of these are priceless.

https://www.deviantart.com/dragonith/gallery/51627783/Super-Smash-Bros

D

Deleted member

Does anyobody here have a picture of Jonneh (mod of resetera) saying "man all of this speculation is too big"?

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, Geno vs Mallow? I can answer that from a biased opinion!

Mallow sucks. He's just the arbitrary first party member you get that you replace right away once you can.

Geno brings in a large portion of the game's main plot, revealing all the secrets about the stars and Star Road. All the lore from Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy started with Geno in Super Mario RPG.

Additionally, he always plays a prominent role as a party member as your offensive caster. Bowser deals the most single damage (until you get the Lazy Shell for Mario), Peach is the healer, and Geno is the mage. Mallow sucks.

Geno also has WAY more interesting moves. He casts magic, but he also is a living weapon. His fingers shoot bullets, his hands are rockets, his elbows are bomb launchers, his arms are machine guns, and he can transform into a cannon. Mallow attacks with cymbals and can cause rain, snow, and lightning, which is...fine, but not comparable to Geno.

Also, Geno is a bit of a badass. Mallow is a crybaby.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
~•~ Simon Belmont Special Moveset and Mechanic ~•~

Mechanic: Hearts

Belmont gains Hearts by connecting with the tip of his whip. He can have five.

• When inputting his Side B (weapon throw), he can regular input, medium input or Smash input (like Ryu's tilts). Regular input uses no hearts and throws one weapon. Medium uses two hearts and throws two weapons. Smash uses three hearts and throws three weapons.

B Whip: Holding B unfurls Simon's whip. He can then whip in 8 directions. Only really effective at the tip.

Down B Item Swap: Cycles through Boomerang Cross, Holy Water and Axe

Side B Item Toss: Throws out either Boomerang Cross (goes straight a distance before returning on the same trajectory), Holy Water (arcs slightly before plummeting to the ground and releasing a short wave of fire that hugs the ground) and Axe (high arc that can take out aerial foes)

Up B Doorknocker Swing: A doorknocker appears and Simon latches onto it with his whip. He can maneuver up and down or swing back and forth and leap off. He can attack afterwards, but not use his Up B again until hit.
Feel free to sumbit your own moveset ideas!.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
B Whip: Holding B unfurls Simon's whip. He can then whip in 8 directions. Only really effective at the tip.
a49174a68b1edd8892bb287e97262e4f.gif

I won't be satisfied with Simon's whip unless he can do this if you hold down the button. Sheik got to do it, so why not Simon?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I remember that game you posted yesterday about the five questions for five series thing. Got any ideas for round 2?

?????????????

Smash Master
Oh, and as far as Mallow and the plot is concerned...

Barely any connection. Obviously, Peach and Bowser have strong ties to Mario, and Geno is a star that brings in all the "star lore."

Mallow is a kid Mario helps get his stolen coin back from a thief, so then he joins you. Then, there's a sort of "sideplot" where he discovers he's not ACTUALLY a frog (no duh), but the prince of a cloud kingdom. ...And that's it.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So a list of sleeper characters where I think at least one will make it in IMO.

Dillon
Popular one off Zelda Character not disconfirmed
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Koei Tecmo character(Ryu or Kasumi)
Popular western character not Crash or Ray Man
Mach Rider
Excite Biker
Reimu Hakurei
Heihachi
Nightmare
Arle Nadja
Pokemon Newcomer that isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc

?????????????

Smash Master

Dillon
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Mach Rider
Excite Biker
Reimu Hakurei
Heihachi
Nightmare
Arle Nadja
I would LOVE a Tales character in Smash.

Yuri Lowell is by far the best Tales character of all time, and I am SO SAD more people don't know about him, but I'm really hoping Vesperia on Switch will change that!?

But Lloyd would be cool too. He's kind of the "Nintendo icon" of Tales characters, and he'd be fun to play.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ok, so I wanna think of another game.

Sell me on some potential newcomers I’ll name, in fifty words or less. What makes them unique? What do they represent? What’s their move set potential? Any other perks?

I’ll start with these three potential newcomers:

- Ashley
- Bandana Dee (I already support him, but I’m listing him here anyway)
- Decidueye

Go!
Ashley's a witch, meaning she has access to a variety of magic attacks. She could buff herself or debuff other characters with curses.
Not forgetting her servant Red, who can trasform into objects giving her options for jabs, smash attacks, etc.
Also, her dry personality would be adorable to see!

Bandanna Dee has worked his way up the ranks and has become one of Kirby's closest friends. As a spear user he could bring a unique flair the Smash with a totally different moveset. And he would complete the quartet of main Kirby characters.

I'm more of a Mimikyu or Incineroar guy, so I don't have much to say on Decidueye.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Saying everything Vergeben leaked was "lucky" is just side stepping the issue. You could say any validated leak was "lucky".

Personally the fact he didn't leak Daisy or all returning veterans killed it for me...and then I read the source Gaming article from Sakurai's Famitsu article today. Read it if you haven't.

Sakurai states that to keep the big reveal hidden they were careful who they shared what with and he's right, even though Ridley was leaked, the bigger reveal, the theme of the game as a whole wasn't. And my guess is even if Vergeben is using multiple sources, not all of them knew everything being worked on. One that claimed Ridley would be revealed at E3 might only have known about his reveal trailer and nothing else.

All I'm saying is that explains to me why he might not have know everything about the E3 reveal. I still think he had some info, and honestly, possibly besides Simon he probably doesn't have anymore otherwise he would have said something (he doesn't really hold back in info).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh, Geno vs Mallow? I can answer that from a biased opinion!

Mallow sucks. He's just the arbitrary first party member you get that you replace right away once you can.

Geno brings in a large portion of the game's main plot, revealing all the secrets about the stars and Star Road. All the lore from Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy started with Geno in Super Mario RPG.

Additionally, he always plays a prominent role as a party member as your offensive caster. Bowser deals the most single damage (until you get the Lazy Shell for Mario), Peach is the healer, and Geno is the mage. Mallow sucks.

Geno also has WAY more interesting moves. He casts magic, but he also is a living weapon. His fingers shoot bullets, his hands are rockets, his elbows are bomb launchers, his arms are machine guns, and he can transform into a cannon. Mallow attacks with cymbals and can cause rain, snow, and lightning, which is...fine, but not comparable to Geno.
Damn, did Mallow hurt your feelings? Well, I guess it is biased for a reason. :p

Mallow's important in two specifics worlds, Tadpole Pond and Nimbus Land. Yeah they're short-lived but it's still relevant to the plot. Geno does nothing but tell you what you're supposed to do, and he's just a guy whos on a mission to do exactly what you're doing. He's of general importance, while Mallow has specific importance.

Also, Geno is a bit of a badass. Mallow is a crybaby.
The power of forgetting character development is strong.

?????????????

Smash Master
TBH, I don't particularly care for Ashley or Bandana Dee as Smash newcomers, but I still tried to write nice things about them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Damn, did Mallow hurt your feelings? Well, I guess it is biased for a reason. :p

Mallow's important in two specifics worlds, Tadpole Pond and Nimbus Land. Yeah they're short-lived but it's still relevant to the plot. Geno does nothing but tell you what you're supposed to do, and he's just a guy whos on a mission to do exactly what you're doing. He's of general importance, while Mallow has specific importance.

Obviously the answer is to ignore those two and just put Exor in.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, we will eventually find out if Simon does make it in or not within the next 5 months (in which I'm still hoping he does make it in.)

I would LOVE a Tales character in Smash.

Yuri Lowell is by far the best Tales character of all time, and I am SO SAD more people don't know about him, but I'm really hoping Vesperia on Switch will change that!?

But Lloyd would be cool too. He's kind of the "Nintendo icon" of Tales characters, and he'd be fun to play.
I may have yet to play Tales of Vesperia, but I do know Yuri, Flynn and Estelle when they did appear on the Capcom, SEGA & Namco Bandai crossover called Project X Zone.

?????????????

Smash Master

Ha ha ha ha ha...

I'm mostly kidding around, but what IS true is that I didn't see much of a use for Mallow as a party member once you get the others.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528

Dillon
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Mach Rider
Excite Biker
Reimu Hakurei
Heihachi
Nightmare
Arle Nadja
I could see Ryu Hayabusa happening perhaps as a DLC fighter if they plan to do that. Between Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive I'm sure there is a lot they could do with his moveset. Kasumi or Ayane I could see being an Assist Trophy if he were playable.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aw gee, now I’m feeling bad about never beating Vesperia on the 360 :c I’ll probably sell my 360 copy once I pick up a PC or Switch copy.

In fact I haven’t even beaten ANY Tales game, not even Symphonia or Abyss, cause I lose commitment halfway through :( and I call myself a Tales fan...

That being said! I’d love Lloyd or Yuri, we’d also get some awesome stages and music c:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Geno serves as a nifty way to tie a popular character like Rosalina to the older stuff in the franchise before her existence.

If he ever did make a come back I want to see the two of them operating together.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Dillon
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell
Mach Rider
Excite Biker
Reimu Hakurei
Heihachi
Nightmare
Arle Nadja
Totally agree on the Namco characters. Heihachi was confirmed to be planned for Smash 4 at one point and was only scrapped because Sakurai couldn't complete a full moveset (and he's returned to concepts like these many times). He and Lloyd both had their popularity officially acknowledged thanks to the Mii costumes, and Bandai Namco are still developing this game. Total sleeper pick in my mind, and even if not either of them, you also pointed out Yuri Lowell. Not only is he one of the most popular Tales characters, but Vesperia is now coming out for Switch and it could make him a potential DLC candidate.

Last edited:

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's what I think should happen for the next Smash.

I think it should go free-to-play but not in the loot box method. I'm thinking something more akin to either MOBA's free characters available to play being available from a randomised pool or something like Fortnite's battle passes where you pay a small amout for a sheet of challenges to complete and unlock.

And on top of that, I think that they should do alternate movesets on characters to have more variety available to unlock/obtain.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Geno serves as a nifty way to tie a popular character like Rosalina to the older stuff in the franchise before her existence.

If he ever did make a come back I want to see the two of them operating together.
Haha, I didn't even think about that. That would be a fun idea to play around with.

?????????????

Smash Master

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
https://imgtc.com/i/k5DSo0d.png

This photo was just posted on Gamefaqs with this list of characters:

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

The post in question: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76819589

Thoughts? The render looks kinda fake to me but hey, it's at least a photo leak.
I’ve seen that K. Rool portrait render before and something about the DK logo seems...off.

Points for trying, I guess

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

The post in question: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76819589

Thoughts? The render looks kinda fake to me but hey, it's at least a photo leak.
I'm almost positive I've seen that render somewhere...also I know it's just a head shot but it doesn't look nearly as dynamic as the other Ultimate characters and a lil too cartoony. Well time to go through all smash footage we have to find that shot of Inkling on Battlefield! (Or we find that render...)

That newcomer list though! Travis?! I'd die. Not gunna happen lol

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

Whether it's fake or not, I dig that roster. Looks like a pretty good balance between fan requests and the out-there characters we all know and love Smash for.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

Finally! Something more than a text leak! This leak has Isaac so it's immediately 100% accurate! (Dixie echo is still bleh though. XD)

Noipoi

Howdy!

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

It's absolutely fake.

Ashley

It's absolutely real.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Kind of off topic but..does anyone know what's up with the Fox icon for the Smash Ultimate main image? Whenever I try to set it as Fox it just shows up as the Captain Falcon icon from Smash 64.

I'll just set it as Inkling for now since I'm probably going to try and main them along with Fox and Greninja.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

Red Flags

- Showing King K. Rool's Icon but not showing the model.
- Using his modern look instead of incorporating his classic look in some way(since it's likely that some of the DLC Mii Costumes released some time after the ballot were 4's consolation prizes/Ultimate Preview from it)
- Full list of newcomers
- Couple of the characters being the ones who's AT status right now is not confirmed.

Yeah, not believing it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So I was looking through the Gamefaqs post and everyone is saying it's a realistic looking roster??? Travis Touchdown = Realistic Roster?!?!

Does anyone else think this way???

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Newcomers:
King K. Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Isaac
Ayumi Tachibana
Excitebiker
Travis Touchdown
Heihachi

Echoes:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle

Fake af

I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing Dixie showing up too many times as an Echo fighter. She doesn't use the Peanut Popgun or Rocketbarrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom