• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This might be an unpopular sentiment, but I feel that Toad has been long overdue to Smash Bros. (really his credentials were strong enough to get him into Brawl, and certainly Smash 4 when he returned to being a playable character in the mainline platformer games). Toad might be the single most iconic Nintendo character that is not yet playable in the series yet. Even if it is through the form of Captain Toad, I do not think the Mario series's representation is "complete" yet without a character that has been a part of the playable cast since 1988. Its even more bizarre when characters with a sporadic appearance in the mainline games (Rosalina) managed to make it in sooner, and it looks like even one-shot Geno will make it in over him.

Captain Toad technically has not been ruled out yet, but they missed a grand opportunity, if he is a playable character, to confirm him last week. To make matters worse, it seems that the stars are aligning for an Ashley confirmation during the week of WarioWare Gold's release.

Its such a shame regarding Toad. Waluigi and Geno have managed to overshadow him due to those two have far more passionate supporters, yet if you were to ask, most would certainly say Toad stands above all other Nintendo characters at this point in terms of history, popularity, and iconic status (aside from maybe the DK duo, K. Rool and Dixie Kong).

I am not sure if Toad (Captain Toad or the classic design) will ever be playable in Smash Bros. It appears Geno is next in line, and most passion now is being driven behind Waluigi for a possible future title. I feel what cursed the character to an eternal NPC fate was his role as Peach's special starting in Melee. If Captain Toad did not have the "inability to jump" as one of his main characteristics I feel many more would be behind his inclusion as a way to include the Toad brand as part of the playable character in the series. As it stands, I think this one characteristic may have been something to which made Sakurai already rule him out right off the bat.

However, assuming the DK series finally gets its due in terms of newcomers this time around, I feel the omission of Toad (Captain, classic, Blue, whatever) might be the only glaring omission left for the series in terms of Nintendo characters. I am personally very happy with the roster, but I just wanted to remark while the topic was on Mario newcomers, that Toad, despite the characters's impressive history and resume, might never make it in.

How do others here feel about Toad and/or Captain Toad?
I think the biggest upgrade Toad's gonna get is not being Peach's meat shield (He protects her himself this time).
Captain Toad is another thing. I could see him getting in, in fact i'd kinda like him, but I don't think his chances are that big.
I'm not knocking Captain Toad (He might have more of a chance than my most wanted character), i'm just giving my thoughts.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I saw an advertisement for Smash Ultimate including a mock game case and a pamphlet for the game at my local store. Though I had my hands full so I couldn’t grab one for myself. Perhaps if I go back I can grab one.

I have been thinking that Nintendo has also made some headway into mobile gaming with several titles like Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and technically all the Pokémon games that are out. As I currently can only play mobile games, that’s what I’m mostly restricted to nowadays. That being said, what’s your thoughts on a mobile-version of Ultimate with dumbed down touch oriented gameplay and a locking system like FEH where you collect fighters?
>A gacha with Smash-worthy characters while FEH has made hundreds of millions with a niche franchise.
That’s too much money.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
This might be an unpopular sentiment, but I feel that Toad has been long overdue to Smash Bros. (really his credentials were strong enough to get him into Brawl, and certainly Smash 4 when he returned to being a playable character in the mainline platformer games). Toad might be the single most iconic Nintendo character that is not yet playable in the series yet. Even if it is through the form of Captain Toad, I do not think the Mario series's representation is "complete" yet without a character that has been a part of the playable cast since 1988. Its even more bizarre when characters with a sporadic appearance in the mainline games (Rosalina) managed to make it in sooner, and it looks like even one-shot Geno will make it in over him.

Captain Toad technically has not been ruled out yet, but they missed a grand opportunity, if he is a playable character, to confirm him last week. To make matters worse, it seems that the stars are aligning for an Ashley confirmation during the week of WarioWare Gold's release.

Its such a shame regarding Toad. Waluigi and Geno have managed to overshadow him due to those two have far more passionate supporters, yet if you were to ask, most would certainly say Toad stands above all other Nintendo characters at this point in terms of history, popularity, and iconic status (aside from maybe the DK duo, K. Rool and Dixie Kong).

I am not sure if Toad (Captain Toad or the classic design) will ever be playable in Smash Bros. It appears Geno is next in line, and most passion now is being driven behind Waluigi for a possible future title. I feel what cursed the character to an eternal NPC fate was his role as Peach's special starting in Melee. If Captain Toad did not have the "inability to jump" as one of his main characteristics I feel many more would be behind his inclusion as a way to include the Toad brand as part of the playable character in the series. As it stands, I think this one characteristic may have been something to which made Sakurai already rule him out right off the bat.

However, assuming the DK series finally gets its due in terms of newcomers this time around, I feel the omission of Toad (Captain, classic, Blue, whatever) might be the only glaring omission left for the series in terms of Nintendo characters. I am personally very happy with the roster, but I just wanted to remark while the topic was on Mario newcomers, that Toad, despite the characters's impressive history and resume, might never make it in.

How do others here feel about Toad and/or Captain Toad?

toad is such a coin toss to me, i feel like geno is highly likely. im not sure if he "takes" the mario spot or if he'll be considered more of a 2nd square rep than a mario series rep (i know people hate "rep" talk and "spots" but legit its sorta a thing). i feel like daisy was an "easy" way to give more main-line/younger mario fans a newcomer AND still add geno without making it appear to those who dont know mario rpg well that mario still did get a new characters this time (daisy). toad is a bigger part of peach and daisys moveset so its sorta like throwing a bone to toad fans as he's "kind of" playable in another character...

then conversely toad is more animated in peachs moveset so did they just USE "captain" toads model to make peach and daisys use of "toad" more animated? like the reason the time was spent making toad that expressive was cause he is also a playable character? though counter point waddle dee is NO WHERE to be found on king dedede so if he's in and the choice was made to remove him completely from another characters moveset to not cause confusion doesnt bode well for toad...BUT I can totally hear sakurai saying "while toad is part of peachs moveset, CAPTAIN toad will be appearing as a playable fighter!" it just feels like something sakurai would do...

honestly he's one of the toughest calls as far as "likely" characters go, truly a coin toss 50/50 chance here.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
True there. However MKX isn't even distributed there, so that doesn't help. Although it'd be priceless to see the JP reaction.

That said, with any luck somebody will make a MM game that has him find Gold Man, for shekel points.
Gold Man...how has Capcom never made this a thing yet?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I never understood the appeal of Geno
That's okay.

The notion that Geno would work as a Mii Gunner clone is baffling to me, I really dunno what SG was thinking with that bit. If an arm cannon was all you needed to classify as a Mii Gunner clone, then Mega Man would have gone VERY differently during 4's development.
Geno is pretty damn different yeah.
Honestly I agree with the notion that that part of the interview had nothing to do with the Mii Gunner's relation to Geno in terms of development ideas.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Zoroark in retrospect is really a strange case. Granted, I think it would've been passed over regardless of how popular it was thanks to Gen 6 being on the horizon, but it feels like GF/TCPi wanted it to be big like Lucario, yet didn't quite commit to it or screwed it over entirely.

For example:
-Game-wise, it's distribution method was one of the most needlessly complex as you needed a limited-time event Pokémon from HGSS, a feature that you have to find in the game's biggest area, and then transfer them (using two different DS) and bring them to a specific area that triggers their capture. Compared to other mascots (ex. Lucario only needed you to complete the Iron Island sidequest), they required fans to jump through a lot of hoops to get it, and I wouldn't be surprised if many fans didn't even get their hands on it without trading. In terms of the game's story, N did use one, but it was overshadowed by Reshiram/Zekrom.
-In the main anime, it didn't appear until the last arc of the whole series, other mascots made their appearances at least earlier then the halfway point (if not no more then a third of the way through). It did have the movie though.
-Spinoff-wise, it wasn't really used or promoted that much, the legendaries, the starters, and even Axew had more push.
-TCG-wise, it headlined a set at least.

In the end, it kind of felt half-baked in its execution for the lack of a better term. They handled it in a way that didn't allow for it to latch on to as many fans as it could've, and that caused it to be left behind while other popular Pokémon from its generation (ex. the legendaries, Chandelure) and those outside of it (ex. Kanto Pokémon, and even Lucario) to come in and surpass it. The only positive thing that can be said about its treatment is that TCPi learned from their mistake and were much more efficient with their mascots since then (ex. Mega Charizard X was in Origins, easy to get in XY, and everywhere in the franchise during Gen 6).
I think another big thing that resulted in Zoroark being less popular is that a lot of people just saw him as Lucario 2.0 and felt TPC was being too heavy-handed in trying to replicate Lucario for a second straight gen, resulting in backlash against him.

As for Zoroark in Smash, yeah regardless of his popularity by the time the roster was chosen, he was more a victim of timing and Sakurai prioritizing getting playable representation for new series in Smash 4 over bolstering existing franchises (though the fallen status certainly resulted in him getting less serious consideration, if he did have Lucario-level popularity he may have gotten more consideration over doing a gen 6 pokemon). If Smash 4's project plan was devised a couple years earlier Zoroark probably would have been playable in Smash, and even just a year earlier he likely still could have gotten in over his gen 5 competitors.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
toad is such a coin toss to me, i feel like geno is highly likely. im not sure if he "takes" the mario spot or if he'll be considered more of a 2nd square rep than a mario series rep (i know people hate "rep" talk and "spots" but legit its sorta a thing). i feel like daisy was an "easy" way to give more main-line/younger mario fans a newcomer AND still add geno without making it appear to those who dont know mario rpg well that mario still did get a new characters this time (daisy). toad is a bigger part of peach and daisys moveset so its sorta like throwing a bone to toad fans as he's "kind of" playable in another character...

then conversely toad is more animated in peachs moveset so did they just USE "captain" toads model to make peach and daisys use of "toad" more animated? like the reason the time was spent making toad that expressive was cause he is also a playable character? though counter point waddle dee is NO WHERE to be found on king dedede so if he's in and the choice was made to remove him completely from another characters moveset to not cause confusion doesnt bode well for toad...BUT I can totally hear sakurai saying "while toad is part of peachs moveset, CAPTAIN toad will be appearing as a playable fighter!" it just feels like something sakurai would do...

honestly he's one of the toughest calls as far as "likely" characters go, truly a coin toss 50/50 chance here.
There's also the possibility of Blue Toad, seeing as he's a part of main multiplayer Mario platformers these days. It's really a tough call all around otherwise.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's why it should use Mii Costumes based on already playable characters, and be "off-brand" characters.

Mii Brawler: Lolmerk, Ganondork, Wift Troner
Mii Gunner: Sams, Gee No, Megimern
Mii Swordfighter: Lonk, Merf, Clerd
Would you be satisfied if
Ahsly
Gee No
K rol
Isooc
Mimicoo
and Smon were our newcomers?
I know i'd be.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Picture this:
We get a direct this month.
Starts with smash brothers.
Magic is flying in from off screen. Zoom out:
It's Mii Wizard.

:warioc:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Picture this:
We get a direct this month.
Starts with smash brothers.
Magic is flying in from off screen. Zoom out:
It's Mii Wizard.

:warioc:
Do you not understand how actually cool that would be? Did you not play that recent Miitopia RPG on the 3DS?
**** I'd definitely support it if I could, Miis are underrepresented and were made a literal ad for cutsoms, which may not even be in the game anymore.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Do you not understand how actually cool that would be? Did you not play that recent Miitopia RPG on the 3DS?
**** I'd definitely support it if I could, Miis are underrepresented and were made a literal ad for cutsoms, which may not even be in the game anymore.
You say that like I wouldn't be down for it if it happened. That game is actually what made me randomly think of it- I still need to play it, but from what I've seen not only from that game, the Miis have way more potential than given.
Despite being avatars.

Honestly, even Tomodachi life was a riot. Miis have a *lot* of classes to pick from given their RPG appearances.
I mean, I know they only have the three due to those being common Smash fighter archetypes but that's lame give me more

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thinking back on how Toad was sidelined in Smash 4 while looking to these interviews by this point, it's pretty obvious that Sakurai sees Geno in much higher priority and potential than Toad - especially after three games have gone now to give Toad a chance to shine now. Hence I'm banking heavily on Geno to be the primary Mario-newcomer for this game. Though I guess I should have seen this even further coming after Toad's more proactive role on Peach's moveset.

With that, I really feel like Captain Toad's chances were probably busted long before the development on Ultimate started. Sakurai just doesn't see Toad as a stand-alone fighter for some reason, and I can't see how Captain's overall gimmick would win him over due how he's even less proactive than Toad in general.

Now to play the waiting game... :drshrug:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Your reaction if we randomly get a newcomer announcement and trailer like the Brawl days?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Agreed.

I actually knew who Geno was before Smash speculation since I watched a play through of Super Mario RPG a LONG time ago, but I was surprised when I saw it get brought up in Smash.

WEIRD QUESTION:

If all the veterans were top priority, does that mean that the newcomers were low priority characters?

It could mean that they recently finished up all the veterans and just BEGUN developing the newcomers since like April until late October or something. That could be a reason why he said to expect less newcomers and why he made the Echo term, because he had little time to make new characters and padded out the newcomers with some echoes.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sakurai just doesn't see Toad as a stand-alone fighter for some reason
In that case...
Hear me out. Introduce Waluigi as a Peach/Daisy echo. He's a Nintendo princess, now. Have Captain Toad be his Toad.
If Sakurai truly thinks Captain Toad couldn't be a fighter for some reason, this makes a fighter that combines two characters that Sakurai has it out for.

Plus, Waluigi would have to be in a dress to differentiate from his AT and match more closely with his echo-mates.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Your reaction if we randomly get a newcomer announcement and trailer like the Brawl days?
I don't think I have a need to slam on the table and go ape mode. I'd probably just go "oh okay" or "what", and likely everyone else should. Because nobody expected it. They'll probably be confused.

You never specified a character, so there's no deeper meaning than that

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
In that case...
Hear me out. Introduce Waluigi as a Peach/Daisy echo. He's a Nintendo princess, now. Have Captain Toad be his Toad.
If Sakurai truly thinks Captain Toad couldn't be a fighter for some reason, this makes a fighter that combines two characters that Sakurai has it out for.

Plus, Waluigi would have to be in a dress to differentiate from his AT and match more closely with his echo-mates.
Sounds like a new pair of memetic losers to replace these two from Smash 4-era:

Though I'm not wanting to hod my breath on Chrom as of late yet, so there.

Fortunately Ridley's finally out of this predicament.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Thinking back on how Toad was sidelined in Smash 4 while looking to these interviews by this point, it's pretty obvious that Sakurai sees Geno in much higher priority and potential than Toad - especially after three games have gone now to give Toad a chance to shine now. Hence I'm banking heavily on Geno to be the primary Mario-newcomer for this game. Though I guess I should have seen this even further coming after Toad's more proactive role on Peach's moveset.

With that, I really feel like Captain Toad's chances were probably busted long before the development on Ultimate started. Sakurai just doesn't see Toad as a stand-alone fighter for some reason, and I can't see how Captain's overall gimmick would win him over due how he's even less proactive than Toad in general.

Now to play the waiting game... :drshrug:
Maybe we can get both Geno and Captain Toad (give the latter a unique moveset and an op recovery)
Sounds like a new pair of memetic losers to replace these two from Smash 4-era:

Though I'm not wanting to hod my breath on Chrom as of late yet, so there.

Fortunately Ridley's finally out of this predicament.
Chrom still has Robin and Lucina to fight for him...plus Viridi to **** all over his accomplishments

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai just doesn't see Toad as a stand-alone fighter for some reason, and I can't see how Captain's overall gimmick would win him over due how he's even less proactive than Toad in general.
CAPTAIN TOAD CAN'T J U M P

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Lemme boil it down to a few points:

*He's a literal walking arsenal packed into a doll. The idea of a toy with bullet fingers, rocket arms, elbow canons and more, on top of magic and the power of the literal stars, is understandably pretty cool for a lot of people. It's literally like the Action Figures we played pretend with as kids put into an actual character.
*Timed Hits/Action Commands can lend themsevles well to a Smash Moveset, on top of Geno's unique "Charge" timing for many of his specials.
*Mario RPG is pretty popular, especially as it's been made more widely available.
*He's bar none the most popular character in MRPG
*Of all the "Mario RPG" reps, being from SMRPG, Paper Mario and M&L, Geno is seen as a perfect representation for them, as not only is he from the game that heavily inspired PM and M&L, but of all the exclusive characters in all those series (I.E. not Mario or Luigi or Peach or anyone), he has the highest chance and most potential. The only others that come close are some Paper Mario partners, but them working as full fledged fighters is debateable. The only real rival he has is Paper Mario himself.
*He's still a Mario character at the end of the day, and Mario is popular no matter how you slice it.
*He's just a perfect middle ground between Nintendo and Square Enix. The union of Final Fantasy and Mario. There's something kind of magical about that. Mario RPG just has such a unique world and feel to it.
*SNES era games are severely underrepresented in Smash, in terms of Fighters at least. Geno fits that bill.

Those are just some of the reasons. That's how I feel as a Geno fanboy, at least.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope if Captain Toad gets in the first thing he does is jump.

Followed by a shrill Toad voice going ''***** you thought."

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A good amount of uniqueness can be done with that concept alone
Yes, I can see that.
Does it make it work? Probably not, he'll probably end up being bottom of bottom tier before the game even comes out.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
That'd be very unlikely considering the mass hype of newcomers, but if it DID happen, well I feel there's a sadly high chance I'd be spoiled by social media, but if I'm not, I'd likely be... happy, but not flipping out. THAT depends on who is revealed.

In other topics, what do we think (or want) the next song to be? I'm hoping for a Mother or Kirby song, but seeing as we just got Kirby 2 weeks ago, seems unlikely. I've got a feeling it'll be Mario, don't know why.

EDIT:Oops, double post, sorry about that

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Its such a shame regarding Toad. Waluigi and Geno have managed to overshadow him due to those two have far more passionate supporters
I think the lack of passion for support is very important; Toad is perhaps the most frequent character I see mentioned when the topic of "most iconic character not in Smash" gets brought up (especially on Smashboards), yet for all the talk about how iconic he is, I don't really see people clamoring for him in Smash all that much. Yeah he might be recognized by your parents that don't play video games, but how many people who will play Smash actually want to play him in Smash? Since Captain Toad came into prominence I have seen more outright desire for him, but I still don't find the amount of it to be particularly impressive, especially for a character that is supposed to be so iconic, and before Captain Toad I can't really recall seeing much demand for Toad at all. I don't mean to badmouth Toad and his supporters, but I can't help but feel Toad is the epitome of a character people like to say "should" be in Smash but don't actually want all that much. I think people having a burning desire to play the character matters more to Sakurai than your parents being able to say "hey I know that character!".

Regardless of that though I think the real issue to Toad's exclusion is Sakurai not finding him all that interesting moveset-wise to make him a full-fledged character over the other options, while he's not a clone candidate for anyone on the roster. We'll never know the real reason unless Sakurai addresses it, but the fact he has relegated Toad to being a part of Peach's moveset since Melee I think is a telling sign of what Sakurai views his potential as.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yes, I can see that.
Does it make it work? Probably not, he'll probably end up being bottom of bottom tier before the game even comes out.
What if he ended up being worse than Smash 4 Bayo and Brawl Meta Knight?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I only fear if Jeanne got in as Bayo's Echo and she was equally busted as Bayonetta can be.

The fanbase would literally die.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What if he ended up being worse than Smash 4 Bayo and Brawl Meta Knight?
SSB Pikachu.

Though I have a pretty anti-Captain Toad stance on the playable fence, seeing him as an Assist would be pretty cool IMO. Maybe he could just have his own version of the hammer with his pickaxe. Or maybe since he's not that much of a fighter he creates ladders and platforms and just roams about doing his own business.

but the fact he has relegated Toad to being a part of Peach's moveset since Melee I think is a telling sign of what Sakurai's view his potential as.
Or maybe Peach just had nothing to use back in 2001. I mean, she already got the Turnips, what else could she have gotten? Use her living bodyguards as living bodyshields. That actually brings up an interesting question, because we know about how Toad's stance changed in this version of Smash, but what will he do when you use the move while airborne? Toad obviously can't stand menacingly, he's in the hecking air.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Depends on who...Most would just be an "oh, cool" situation. There are a few characters we've discussed that'd make me groan.

But if it were K.Rool? FINALLY!!!

...or Dovahkiin? I don't even have an appropriate gif for that.
If all the veterans were top priority, does that mean that the newcomers were low priority characters?
Could be. Brings up an interesting point though...

I'm noticing a lot of the art is the same - like for the items, or the stages that were in SSB4U. If this game had a long development time, and is still reusing a decent amount of assets...

HOW MUCH NEW AWESOMENESS IS COMING?!?!

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

It could mean that they recently finished up all the veterans and just BEGUN developing the newcomers since like April until late October or something. That could be a reason why he said to expect less newcomers and why he made the Echo term, because he had little time to make new characters and padded out the newcomers with some echoes.
There are probably some newcomers that are low priority, newcomers could be low priority in the prior games; Bowser Jr. was confirmed low priority in Smash 4 when Sakurai mentioned he was almost cut from time constraints, and Brawl had Toon Link (if you count him as new) and Wolf among the characters that made the roster while the Forbidden Seven had Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/"Toon Sheik", and "Prai_Mai". The difference this time is there won't be any veterans in the low priority block, so there would be a few more newcomers in it.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Lemme boil it down to a few points:

*He's a literal walking arsenal packed into a doll. The idea of a toy with bullet fingers, rocket arms, elbow canons and more, on top of magic and the power of the literal stars, is understandably pretty cool for a lot of people. It's literally like the Action Figures we played pretend with as a kid put into an actual character.
*Mario RPG is pretty popular, especially as it's been made more widely available.
*He's bar none the most popular character in MRPG
*Of all the "Mario RPG" reps, being from SMRPG, Paper Mario and M&L, Geno is seen as a perfect representation for them, as not only is he from the game that heavily inspired PM and M&L, but of all the exclusive characters in all series (I.E. not Mario or Luigi or anyone), he has the highest chance and most potential. The only others that come close are some Paper Mario partners, but them working as full fledged fighters is debateable. The only real rival he has is Paper Mario himself.
*He's still a Mario character at the end of the day, and Mario is popular no matter how you slice it.
*He's just a perfect middle ground between Nintendo and Square Enix. The union of Final Fantasy and Mario. Mario RPG just has such a unique world and feel to it.
*SNES era games are severely underrepresented in Smash, in terms of Fighters at least. Geno fits that bill.

Those are just some of the reasons. That's how I feel as a Geno fanboy, at least.
Did not know he had the power of stars inside of him, or finger bullets, or elbow cannons, I just thought he was just some random puppet with just an arm cannon attach as his only means of attack. He's... pretty cool.
I would be like Pit at the end of this video...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Or maybe Peach just had nothing to use back in 2001. I mean, she already got the Turnips, what else could she have gotten? Use her living bodyguards as living bodyshields. That actually brings up an interesting question, because we know about how Toad's stance changed in this version of Smash, but what will he do when you use the move while airborne? Toad obviously can't stand menacingly, he's in the hecking air.
Peach already had a madeup move in Peach Bomber, and the usage of Toad itself as a move is essentially madeup (she never pulled Toads out as a meatshield to defend herself like that in the Mario games and Toads never shot out spores), a different move could have been madeup if he viewed Toad as more and really had nothing else (it's not like the Toad move is essential to her design and she would have played the same or better with about anything else).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Weren't the Forbidden Seven only looked over because Sega went ''You know what? We changed our minds." about Sonic?

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There's also the possibility of Blue Toad, seeing as he's a part of main multiplayer Mario platformers these days. It's really a tough call all around otherwise.
Daisy uses Blue Toad as her bodyguard.

There are some that speculate that the reason Toadette was not used is because she would very likely be an alt (like Female Robin or Female Corrin) to Captain Toad. However, another explanation would be that re-coloring Toad is easier than making a model for Toadette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom