• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Some food for thought here, but let's consider something for a moment.

We got a surprise Smash announcement at the end of the March Direct, waited a few months and argued about who would be added and who wouldn't be, found out everybody was coming back (some characters missing for almost 20 years), and now we're already back to debating who else will be in. Not only did we get everybody back (which is a landmark accomplishment for the series by the way), but we got Ridley, a character a large portion of the fnabase had written off or stopped supporting.

Listen, I'm excited about who else will be in the game as much as the next person but we've got to take a second and appreciate this game for what it is at this point in time. Long time fans of the series have probably already freaked out a bit. I myself have been that person...honestly, I almost cried watching the reveal trailer at E3. I still watch the Direct over again to get myself re-hyped up.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more from this game, as I myself am excited at the potential newcomers for this game. However, this thread has kinda...overlooked the fact that EVERY SINGLE VETERAN IS BACK. It was pretty much like, "Oh that's cool...alright, move on!"

Dudes, this is HUGE for Smash in terms of characters. It's also a huge workload for the team.

Last night I was with friends and one of them suggested the prospect of there not being any other characters on the roster. While I disagreed with him, it made me think. There's already 65 characters...how far are we going to go until people are satisfied? Will the Smash fanbase EVER be satisfied with what they get? Sometimes I question it.

(skip to 18:40 for the beginning of the Smash portion)
This here is a video from the Nintendo New York store during the E3 event. Fans were allowed in to view the Direct among other fans. This is one of my favorite videos of all time, because at the very moment they were watching the Direct, I was at work trying to keep my hype in check. These fans freaking out shows what the series means to them. That video only featured KNOWN Smash characters. They cheered, and cheered LOUD when they saw their favorite characters. I internally cheered when I saw all my favorites, and those I hadn't expected.

Appreciate this for a moment. Every time I watch this, I get chills.
The second "Everyone is here!" flashed on the screen I felt an immense weight leave my shoulders. No more worrying about who is getting cut, no more stressful directs and pics of the day. It's done. Everyone is here. I'm a big fan of trailers, but I don't think anything will top this. Seeing Mewtwo, ICs, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucas, all considered "low priority" and Ryu/Cloud was amazing by itself, but it was only build-up for the bomb.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Do you have a source on that? That's really interesting if true.

Not sure if that would help or hurt his chances in the long run.
I actually can't remember where I heard it/read it (it was years ago but I remember it stuck out to me as interesting). Take the statement with a grain of salt until someone comes forward with a definitive answer. :laugh:

I have a strong feeling it was an interview translated by Source Gaming, but maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The second "Everyone is here!" flashed on the screen I felt an immense weight leave my shoulders. No more worrying about who is getting cut, no more stressful directs and pics of the day. It's done. Everyone is here. I'm a big fan of trailers, but I don't think anything will top this. Seeing Mewtwo, ICs, Pokemon Trainer, and Lucas, all considered "low priority" and Ryu/Cloud was amazing by itself, but it was only build-up for the bomb.
Seeing IC specifically made me pop off, then Snake did the same thing, and finally Ridley...Imma need a few more hype busters or else I’ll live a sad and lonely Smash life

Noipoi

Howdy!
When Snake popped on screen I screeched his name so loud my scream is forever indented in my brain and I still hear it occasionally.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
When Snake popped on screen I screeched his name so loud my scream is forever indented in my brain and I still hear it occasionally.
Is it sad I didn't freak out when Ridley's Tail appeared? I kinda just went "Wow. He did it. Ridley is in the game."

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's how they're going to get the mii's to be used online. :D
I had that idea a bit ago, actually.

Have certain characters use certain builds of Mii Fighter for use online. Tie unique voice sets and a specific name to each them (i.e. the announcer refers to them by name rather than as "Mii!"

Who would the character builds be though... hmm...

EDIT: "SAMS!" "LONK!" "MERF!" "LIL MUCK!"

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I saw other people say this too, but for whatever reason I only truly believed it when Young Link appeared. I don't know why. It just... felt unreal. I love that trailer, it's so powerful.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah, that explains how I never heard of him when I was younger. I remember wondering who this Pinocchio with a gun was when I first started getting into Smash speculation.

Looking at the different abilities in Mario RPG you can really see how much was brought in from it. Mario's FS is legit ripped right from the game, and a bunch of Peach's attacks came from there too.

Also looking at Geno's abilities it looks like he could easily be built from Mii Gunner. How come y'all don't have the same love for Mallow anyway? A weather-manipulating cloud sounds so cool.
Because, well, let me list a few reasons.

Mallow isn't as important on the grand scheme of SMRPG's plot as Geno is. He mostly hitches along for the ride, with the hopes of finding out his true heritage (not being a frog), and his subplot doesn't even end on an area with a Star Piece in it, it's a bit of a detour (entertaining as it is). Also, the strength of the others make him a bit less relevant to use as the game goes on.

TLDR, he's pretty much 'just there' for the most part.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I saw other people say this too, but for whatever reason I only truly believed it when Young Link appeared. I don't know why. It just... felt unreal. I love that trailer, it's so powerful.
Took me until Pichu to realize what it meant.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
After Snake showed up and the music swelled back up? I had goosebumps for the rest of the trailer.

Like that main theme music was made for a ''Guess what? Everybody is back!" trailer.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Funnily enough... I had an :ultinkling: (hur hur) the moment they showed up and it said "64". It's probably because I've counted the Smash roster multiple times for stuff like art projects and the like, so I had a pretty good grasp on how many characters had appeared in Smash.

I was still surprised when Snake showed up, but the Inklings softened the blow.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, Haven't heard anyone talk about this, So I'm gonna bring it up!
Thoughts on the announcer? I think it sounds great personally.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So, Haven't heard anyone talk about this, So I'm gonna bring it up!
Thoughts on the announcer? I think it sounds great personally.
Xander? I’m glad he’s back. The range of voice inflection is fun. When I saw Shulk in the trailer, instinctly said “SHULK!”

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Xander's great.

My only problem with him is how confused he sounds saying ''Junior" in Bowser Jr.

It's almost like he's shocked anyone would even let Bowser impregnate them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Xander's great.

My only problem with him is how confused he sounds saying ''Junior" in Bowser Jr.

Not sure why he says it the way he does, but it feels a bit out of place to me probably because they use the same "Junior" when he redid the name for the Japanese version ("Koopa.... Junior")

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Xander Mobus?
He sounds better when he says "THE WINNER IS ___" and not "____ WINS!"
That's because his lines are segmented. He only recorded "'WINS", not "MARIO WINS", throwing his preexisting Mario announcement in the middle.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
That's because his lines are segmented. He only recorded "'WINS", not "MARIO WINS", throwing his preexisting Mario announcement in the middle.
Well, duh, I was saying that the previous line is better than the new one. Haha.
I know why it sounds disjointed.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Xander Mobus?
He sounds better when he says "THE WINNER IS ___" and not "____ WINS!"
Honestly it sounds fine to me.

Not sure why he says it the way he does, but it feels a bit out of place to me probably because they use the same "Junior" when he redid the name for the Japanese version ("Koopa.... Junior")
I also hate how he says luigi seductively. Yes, we all know about the Mario Tennis Aces Incident Xander :>

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, duh, I was saying that the previous line is better than the new one. Haha.
I'd say rather because the BUUM sound is out of cue when normally it's synchronized with the character's name being announced.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Xander's great.

Seems like that’s how they wanted him to say his name (like how Xander has to say Duck Hunt fast and without saying...something else)
I’ll miss the “winner is” line, but the whole “dada wins” makes me think once more that Scorpion or Sub Zero will join Smash

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is lycanroc really that likely though? It's kind of the zoroark of Gen 7, Meant to be the next Lucario but never really living up to the hype despite a whole lot of special treatment.
That's pretty much one of the main reasons why I have very little faith in Lycanroc's chances. Back when Zoroark was a thing, I did have hopes for it as a playable contender in Smash 3DS / Wii U, but all that it got was the Poke Ball Pokemon treatment.

Lycanroc may likely end up receiving the same fate as Zoroark, especially considering that two of its three forms are purely quadrupedal. And since Lycanroc is not part Psychic-type, it wouldn't be able to carry the two-handed items, unless we're talking about its Midnight form.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's a treat listening to him pronounce the Japanese names of some of the characters... haha.

Though, as for Dedede... EVERY non English name for him tickles me when said by any of the announcers.

Also Xander's "PURIN" gets me every time

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’ll miss the “winner is” line, but the whole “dada wins” makes me think once more that Scorpion or Sub Zero will join Smash
That seems like such a major change for just one character though, especially when you could just, y'know, use the old line for everyone else.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's a treat listening to him pronounce the Japanese names of some of the characters... haha.

Though, as for Dedede... EVERY non English name for him tickles me when said by any of the announcers.

Also Xander's "PURIN" gets me every time
I like "ROI DADIDOU!", personally.

Speaking of Xander Mobus; am I crazy, or was there and interview where he said that they had him record way more character names than were actually used in the game?

I dunno, maybe I'm thinking of a different game and announcer. *shrug*

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I cannot be mad about any newcomers.

.everyone is here.
And ridley.

So everything is icing now for me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like "ROI DADIDOU!", personally.

Speaking of Xander Mobus; am I crazy, or was there and interview where he said that they had him record way more character names than were actually used in the game?

I dunno, maybe I'm thinking of a different game and announcer. *shrug*
The Brawl VA did a similar thing.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Go full retro and steal arthur from Ghosts and Goblins back from Capcom.

EDIT: BETTER YET, Surprise everyone with Glover, from the n64 game no one remembers but me! :')
Not to be that "I did it first guy", but I've brought up Glover as a potential character twice, so you're not alone haha.
If Geno counts as a "retro rep", so does K. Rool since the latter made his gaming debut two years before the former.

At any rate, the only character that explicitly got in solely for the sake of filling the NES-era quota was the Ice Climbers in Melee. Every other "retro rep" we've got had more than just being from the 80's going for them with Pit being explicitly in because of popularity and the Duck Hunt Dog partially getting in as the "surprise" character in addition to how well his game sold. I think the big error people make is assuming we'll get a "retro rep" for the sake of getting one again, as if that is a given, especially with the clearly different roster direction for this game. There aren't anymore potential "retro reps" from the 80's that has or represents anything close to the same significance as :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt:or the popular fan demand :ultpit: had for Brawl with the exception of the Excitebiker, given how big Excitebike was on the NES. Thing is, are we really going to have a "retro rep" for the sake of having one in Ultimate?
The difference between Geno and K. Rool is that K. Rool has semi recent appearances that aren't just cameos, like Barrel Blast and Jungle Climber. Saying K. Rool is a retro rep because his first appearance was in a similar time frame to Geno's would also make anyone who first appeared on the NES or SNES retro (ie. Mario, Link, Samus, etc).

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That seems like such a major change for just one character though, especially when you could just, y'know, use the old line for everyone else.
It really would be a major change, but a major change like that for a newcomer like them...I’d easily get over the victory line change

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It really would be a major change, but a major change like that for a newcomer like them...I’d easily get over the victory line change
I don't know if there's a Kombat Kraze in Japan, sounds like a tinfoil theory as of now.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Do you have a source on that? That's really interesting if true.

Not sure if that would help or hurt his chances in the long run.
Its a Sakurai famitsu article. Source Gaming translated it as well as included it in their Rate that character for Geno. Either watch that or just Google Source Gaming Sakurai.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom