• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
All these people talking about Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario while I'm just sitting here with Mario & Luigi... Fawful would be pretty cool. Or a Bowser's Insides stage.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Better cut out ROB then. Or Ness. Or better yet, Duck Hunt.
Your "objective" reasoning, for a lack of better word, is bull****.

Also you quite literally said he was from an "obscure SNES RPG" with "a cult following" so, lol.
This argument doesn't even deserve the effort of refutation, but I'll do it anyway. ROB, Ness, and Duck Hunt are all infinitely more popular and iconic than Geno.

Like I could just end the refutation right there, but let's also point out the fact that Duck Hunt and Ness are the main protagonist of their games and have made historically significant cameos all throughout history. R.O.B. is an iconic character in the history of video game hardware, who also made countless cameos in the future BECAUSE OF THAT. So once again, you comparing him to Geno is beyond laughable.

This is what I find disrespectful.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Sakurai has said he tried to bring back older characters for Smash 4, and considering Ridley is in Smash Ultimate, I wouldn't be surprised if that mentality has carried over, along with the 'Everyone is here' idea.

Fortunately for him and his fans, Geno 100% fits the bill for that, so I don't doubt he'll be in, whether its base game or DLC.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
This argument doesn't even deserve the effort of refutation, but I'll do it anyway. ROB, Ness, and Duck Hunt are all infinitely more popular and iconic than Geno.

Like I could just end the refutation right there, but let's also point out the fact that Duck Hunt and Ness are the main protagonist of their games and have made historically significant cameos all throughout history. R.O.B. is an iconic character in the history of video game hardware, who also made countless cameos in the future BECAUSE OF THAT. So once again, you comparing him to Geno is beyond laughable.

Duck Hunt is not the protagonist in any form. But hey, I was just saying your objective reasoning wasn't right, and you used subjective metric to prove your point, so I guess in the end it's what you feel like whether or not they're irrelevant.

But this argument ends here like you just said. Feel free to refute.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Whos our next cult character after k rool, ashley, and geno are all in

dont say waluigi
I mean, you said not to, but it'll definitely be Waluigi. MAYBE Simon if Vergeben is wrong, and MAYBE Crash Bandicoot if they keep making more games, but definitely Waluigi.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This whole Geno argument has made me wonder, considering how long it's been since Mario RPG, would Geno potentially be the "retro character"?
If Geno counts as a "retro rep", so does K. Rool since the latter made his gaming debut two years before the former.

At any rate, the only character that explicitly got in solely for the sake of filling the NES-era quota was the Ice Climbers in Melee. Every other "retro rep" we've got had more than just being from the 80's going for them with Pit being explicitly in because of popularity and the Duck Hunt Dog partially getting in as the "surprise" character in addition to how well his game sold. I think the big error people make is assuming we'll get a "retro rep" for the sake of getting one again, as if that is a given, especially with the clearly different roster direction for this game. There aren't anymore potential "retro reps" from the 80's that has or represents anything close to the same significance as :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt: or the popular fan demand :ultpit: had for Brawl with the exception of the Excitebiker, given how big Excitebike was on the NES. Thing is, are we really going to have a "retro rep" for the sake of having one in Ultimate?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
ROB is infinitely more popular and iconic than Geno.
1530414388448.png

Hell to the **** no he isn't, the only reference I've ever seen of him prior to Brawl's release was AVG's episode on his games all the way back in 2007. And that was only a few months before the game came out.

Also, you forgot a special someone to reference. :ultwiifittrainer:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Dude, if Geno actually got in, I would totally play as him like all the time. I'm just saying that we deserve better standards than cult internet followings.
You have a solid argument about Geno. Yeah, it kinda would just be fan service, but from a business standpoint, It makes sense. Your adding a popular character, which may attract more people to the game. Yeah got the amiibo. About +15 Dollars, AND The community will appreciate it.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
View attachment 153398

Hell to the **** no he isn't, the only reference I've ever seen of him prior to Brawl's release was AVG's episode on his games all the way back in 2007. And that was only a few months before the game came out.

There's also that tiny playable appearance of his in Mario Kart DS a few years before Brawl, bud.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
you know i rly would like ashley to make it in somehow <.< but i feel like most characters i want are either impossible to get ( i got my must have fighter already now sooo)
i have no real idea what i should root for... i mean to me ashley, k rool, and characters such as the possible echoes D samus and shadow i would be like, hey thats neat, for everybody else im like, kay might be interesting,

and this is the same i was about duckhunt, it is fun to pick him up, yet i never rly play him. to me he just exists there somehow,

also geno if we get a retro character fits THAT specific bill very well, in any other category i doubt it somehow. though his demand is high, like dixie it comes down to sakurai

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

ROB? Iconic?

He was a useless toy addon to the NES...
That has 2 obscure game released that supported him...
And was canceled early in its lifespan...

I think he got his popularity because of Smash, not because of anything it itself had been popular for.
Had it not been for Smash, it's biggest appearance probably would've been a guest Mario Kart DS.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
R.O.B. pretty much faded into obscurity before Mario Kart and Smash added him. The reason he was considered a ''WTF" character is because he wasn't really a thought in people's minds.

Duck Hunt was and is iconic because everyone remembers him snickering at you if you had an NES, especially in North America.

Earthbound was a pretty cult Nintendo franchise before Smash Brothers really made it something more people visited to the point people clamor for Mother 3 the way they do.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's also that tiny playable appearance of his in Mario Kart DS a few years before Brawl, bud.
Okay, a cameo. Another one if you wanna include F-Zero GX, which I had forgotten. Would you really consider him more iconic and popular than Geno still?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which didn't really make him highly recognizable despite how much he should be considering he saved the gaming industry and all.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
A giant version of him is also in F-Zero GX's Port Town, but still, Nintendo references the Virtual Boy like all the time it's not like it's popular.

And Mario Kart is just... Mario Kart, the game in which Waluigi got shafted for Queen Bee and Wiggler for no reason at all

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which didn't really make him highly recognizable despite how much he should be considering he saved the gaming industry and all.
From a marketing standpoint yes, R.O.B. was very efficient and racking in Nintendo's sales despite the fact that consumers at the time gave him lukewarm reviews, but by that point they already sold enough to pull in IIRC.

But iconic? I'm pretty sure people forgot about him faster than Nintendo did.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will not stand for R.O.B. slander in this thread. >:^(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
and MAYBE Crash Bandicoot if they keep making more games
Doesn't Vicarious Visions have a five-year contract? That might help.

Lets do it

id love it if we could just force sakurai to acknowledge Wario Land in general
I can get behind this. There would need to be a second ballot to help with this tho.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Lets do it

id love it if we could just force sakurai to acknowledge Wario Land in general
Well, Wario got his dash attack back.

From a marketing standpoint yes, R.O.B. was very efficient and racking in Nintendo's sales despite the fact that consumers at the time gave him lukewarm reviews, but by that point they already sold enough to pull in IIRC.

I would say he's more iconic than Geno, honestly. Several Smash Appearances, Several Cameos. A Mario Kart Character. After all that alot of people will know him. Maybe not the entirety of the Gaming community. But probably more than Geno. Who was just a side Character, A Mii Costume, and A Cameo.

I will not stand for R.O.B. slander in this thread. >:^(
R.O.B. Is honestly one of Smashes more creative fighters, and that's why i like him.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
You have a solid argument about Geno. Yeah, it kinda would just be fan service, but from a business standpoint, It makes sense. Your adding a popular character, which may attract more people to the game. Yeah got the amiibo. About +15 Dollars, AND The community will appreciate it.
following that logic geno should not be in... i rly dont doubt geno is popular, but to sell the game on he rly wont do it, and this is actually me saying it because i asked my friends when we diskussed characters for the game, and most of them either didnt care for him or never saw him ever before,

so to casual ppl and those who are not so odlt hat they actively played the game, they dont know geno. so as a retro or secret character he would be perfect, but to use him for advertisement i dont think he is the best choice,

also if you say duckhunt was used for advertisement,
duckhunt is a meme, and sakurai choose him for that more or less, <.< geno is not so much a meme, then he is a nieche fan character most ppl never heard of,
to unlock him ingame as a secret would be dope because you are like who the f is that????? the effect would be a tat better i think ( PERSONALY) ( to me i understand why ppl woudl want him i guess)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
View attachment 153398

Nah fam. R.O.B is historical to gaming.

As a resident of New York, and as a visitor of the Strong National Museum of Play, I can tell you who was linked to gaming history and who wasn’t. In terms of what they have at the museum, I can tell you they don’t have a puppet on display.

I think being recognizable depends on which group of people we’re talking about, but R.O.B. is without a doubt more recognizable at the very least in a historical sense.

I don’t know that Geno would be considered “iconic” at all to people who don’t know Smash speculation or Mario RPG...we’re kinda past the point of most characters being iconic for Smash aside from 3rd parties.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Umm... I don't think there are many people who aren't playing Smash because Geno isn't in it, unless you mean drawing people to buy and play Super Mario RPG instead.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Anything from the Gamecube era and before should be considered retro at this point, but Sakurai's "retro" picks have only ever been NES stuff.
Man, that's one hell of a feel.
Imagine it, after the Switch's lifespan and its successor comes out, the Gamecube will probably be considered retro.
I was born a few months before the Gamecube came out.
I'll be considered retro. People born before me would be considered retro.

91f.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Very true. I wish he was more iconic, albeit for what he did. But that's not how it always goes. :/

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Whos our next cult character after k rool, ashley, and geno are all in

dont say waluigi
Isaac? Lyn? Krystal maybe? Any of the three possibly.

Could Amaterasu count since her game is considered a cult classic, and does anyone knows how well she as a character was received in Japan?

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I would say he's more iconic than Geno, honestly. Several Smash Appearances, Several Cameos. A Mario Kart Character. After all that alot of people will know him. Maybe not the entirety of the Gaming community. But probably more than Geno. Who was just a side Character, A Mii Costume, and A Cameo.
He got popular because he made several Smash Bros appearance, not the other way around

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, Wario got his dash attack back.

R.O.B. Is honestly one of Smashes more creative fighters, and that's why i like him.
If you get into Smash.
You are now iconic.

Doesn't matter what or who you are beforehand, you are now a Smash staple with a herd of roaring fans clammoring for your return.

Now, before that though, who was more popular? ROB or Geno? Now I'm no time traveler, but from the Brawl polls, it seemed like Geno was the more popular choice to get into Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Did I just see someone say Sakurai chose a character for a meme status?

When we legit just got the biggest star of Nintendo memes bypassed.

Sakurai gives two ****s about memes.

Sakurai chose Duck Hunt because of the sales of his games and the elements of FPS he represented.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I'm not against the idea of Ayumi, but how would she fight?
Honest question.
I have no idea... but I like to think Sakurai had a plan when he considered her...

Maybe she would play kinda like Phoenix Wright? I don't know much about Famicom Detective Club unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom