• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
How many non-playable characters have even been stated by Sakurai to be a good fit for Smash? That is something noteworthy.
At most you just get Sakurai saying he considered a character then followed by why the character got passed over in the selection process, the only other case we got of a character he openly stated he planned or wanted to be playable that hasn't gotten in yet is Dixie Kong in Brawl (when he explained how he originally had the tag team idea between her and Diddy before technical issues forced it to be scrapped).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Also, not all the newcomers are going to be fan favorites.
The grass is green... the sky is blue...

The only thing that'll keep Geno from being playable(which is far more likely than before since it's easier to spend money on the base game than a DLC budget) is that Square-Enix says no.
"No, you can't have him back. Neener neener neener"

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You tell me! Because Sakurai clearly said he wanted him in Smash 4 and had to be content with the Mii Fighter costume.

But nah, your made up reasoning is definitely the reality
That's exactly what I said happened. Well, actually Sakurai said he wanted him in Brawl. So more like your reasoning is the made up one.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
That's exactly what I said happened. Well, actually Sakurai said he wanted him in Brawl. So more like your reasoning is the made up one.
If you can read you can see he wanted him in both.

But I'm sure he's just as irrelevant as you make him up to be! Nobody knows him!

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think Geno's chances are decent. Sakurai's spoken about him specifically, knows he's a popular character, tried to get him back in Brawl, and added him in as a Mii Costume in 3DS/Wii U. With Sakurai working with Square Enix again to bring Cloud back, it wouldn't surprise me if he made the jump to get Geno. Similar to how he got the rights to Bomberman when he was getting Snake back. If not playable, I think he's likely as an Assist Trophy.

Not interested in Geno being playable myself, though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As shown through several recent leaks, there's also Dragon Quest.
Ah yes, that brings us three whole characters to choose from.
33% probability aint that bad, at least it ain't as bad as the Pokemon pick.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Geno's chances are decent. Sakurai's spoken about him specifically, knows he's a popular character, tried to get him back in Brawl, and added him in as a Mii Costume in 3DS/Wii U. With Sakurai working with Square Enix again to bring Cloud back, it wouldn't surprise me if he made the jump to get Geno. Similar to how he got the rights to Bomberman when he was getting Snake back. If not playable, I think he's likely as an Assist Trophy.

Not interested in Geno being playable myself, though.
The roster isn't decided by popularity alone.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And what's the problem with that? The thing with Pokemon is that every Pokemon is loved by someone out there and people can very easily want to see their favourite in a game they're looking forward to
This is actually my favorite thing about the Pokemon franchise in general. There are over 800 monsters now and each one of those monsters has someone who loves them.

You might find someone who loves Pikachu because you know mascot.

But then you might find someone who also loves someone as random as Archeops.

And that's a great thing to have in ANY franchise.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry but what's really disrespectful is completely making fun of and going against a character that would make lots of people very happy. Really, I don't get why people are so butt hurt about characters they don't like getting in, at least in terms of video game characters. Like, you're fully allowed to not want a character, but don't ask for them to not be included. Do people not realize that you could, I dunno... Not play that character if you don't like them?

For example, I don't see the appeal in Ashley whatsoever. I feel that she is massively overrated considering she barely appears in her own series, but I would never be against the characters inclusion. People who are constantly just like 'I don't want this character because *insert whining here*' and actively go against the character's inclusion are so unbelievably petty. Basically, just please, don't be a jerk and actively wish for a character to not make it in the game just because of pathetic reasoning.

BTW, TheLastJinjo, this really wasn't geared toward you at all, I was just doing a reply and it kinda evolved into a rant, if I upset you it wasn't my intention to at all
Dude, if Geno actually got in, I would totally play as him like all the time. I'm just saying that we deserve better standards than cult internet followings.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not all the newcomers are going to be fan favorites.
That may be technically true but...

"We believe that's what players want, so we made the impossible possible"- Sakurai on bringing back everyone.

"We've streamlined the conditions for unlocking fighters and we want to make the process interesting so it feels like you're constantly recruiting popular characters on your side"- Sakurai again on the Smash Ultimate roster.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
All of those are popular in the Pokemon fanbase though, the first two because they're starters, the third is a breakout hit and the fourth is getting heavily promoted
Is lycanroc really that likely though? It's kind of the zoroark of Gen 7, Meant to be the next Lucario but never really living up to the hype despite a whole lot of special treatment.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
There are definitely a few characters I don't want but I can't imagine being mad at people who want them in or if they were to be included lmao
yeah thats my stance on it aswell, honestly the only character i honestly have a gigantic problem with, is steve from minecrafft, i think a minecraft stage with soem hazards would be amazing, i thin rlyeven as part of the adventure mode if there is one, it would be amazing, but the character as a fighter?, no please dont.
however i wontsay he doesnt deserve the spot though,

and then there are the goku for smash ppl, i mean look.... every character BORN IN GAMING is a character that to me as long as this character is somewhat iconic or worthy, has a spot,

ppl like John 117 / halo, Dante from DMC, banjo kazui, Doomguy, Crash, somebody like that, is valid to me and has the right to be in this game,

but goku who is an anime original dude, who also has tons of his half assed games, and some good ones, is to me not worthy to be in this game, simply because he is no GAMING character

or am i a **** here? cause thts how i see it.

<.< something else i think should be in smash somehow is a representative of MMOBAS and MMORPGS perhaps another classic strategie game, just for the sake of having gaming icons from all the lands come together

so we fill in with
simon from castlevvania for the famous metroidvania
Doomguy for bethesda, he is the best alternative to master chief, while also representing a lognrunning shooter franchise,
Banjo for platformers

( dont kill me) somebody from League of legends .. yess i rly mean it... its so big right now, it will be remembered for sure at this point like WOW
and speaking of which, somebody from blizzard games, either from starcraft or diablo, cause that would be a cool thing to have
<.< i would not be a fan but somebody from wow, and so on

just to complete gaming history

also somebody from resident evil, like Leon for example,

and this would propably the dream never come true gaming history 100 character roster that will never be true.
think of a world in which several gaming icons from other platforms and historic games come into smash,, and beat it out.

insanity surely, but somehow a nice thought of having one place in which the 3 (4) platforms be at peace ( ever lasting battle) with each other and show they can co-exist...

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'm pretty ambivalent to Geno and while he is cool and popular I only want him in to make everybody shut up about it. I really want this game to be a fresh start for the series and its fanbase, we already have a game that is the biggest video game crossover of all time that went through the impossible to add back cut third parties like Snake and a hard-to-implement mainly-western-appeal Ridley yet people still are holding on to stuff like Geno and K. Rool.

It's not bad to hold out for your favorite characters, it's admirable that these examples have been remembered throughout their ~20 years of irrelevancy. It's just that it's been 10 years and 3 Smash cycles with mostly the same stuff that most gravitate to. It's kinda boring, and annoying, and tiring, etc.

We have "no cuts" and "well I like Pichu and Young Link, bring em back" out of the way, now let's get these decades-old newcomers in to get them out of discussions. Lingering newcomer wishes make this fanbase and particularly discussions within it quite toxic, I hope Ultimate puts an end to it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is lycanroc really that likely though? It's kind of the zoroark of Gen 7, Meant to be the next Lucario but never really living up to the hype despite a whole lot of special treatment.
It's getting promoted more than Zoroark did by the sheer fact it's not a hassle to get one in it's debut game and that it's Ash's ace in the anime now. Personally, I hate the garbage thing and it's multiple evolution depending on the version gimmick is trash because it's like being offered a 5 star meal from a fancy restaurant free of charge or a single chocolate bar

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Dude, if Geno actually got in, I would totally play as him like all the time. I'm just saying that we deserve better standards than cult internet followings.
I don't know how it gets any more clearer than the director outright acknowledging Geno is a very popular character to show he isn't just a vocal internet fad.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If you can read you can see he wanted him in both.

But I'm sure he's just as irrelevant as you make him up to be! Nobody knows him!
Dude. calm. down.

I never ever ever said that nobody knows who Geno is and I didn't MAKE HIM UP to be irrelevant. He is objectively irrelevant. Maybe he's relevant from cameos, but I didn't MAKE UP the fact that his last role was a party member in an RPG from 22 years ago. That's not me misrepresenting Geno's significance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't know how it gets any more clearer than the director outright acknowledging Geno is a very popular character to show he isn't just a vocal internet fad.
The only way it'd be more clear is if Geno actually makes it in. Honestly I'm surprised how I've accepted Geno, would always **** on his fans for expecting him but since that interview I've just come to accept him

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
All of those are popular in the Pokemon fanbase though, the first two because they're starters, the third is a breakout hit and the fourth is getting heavily promoted
That's the point of Pokemon newcomers. They usually go with whatever's popular and marketable at the time.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Dude. calm. down.

I never ever ever said that nobody knows who Geno is and I didn't MAKE HIM UP to be irrelevant. He is objectively irrelevant. Maybe he's relevant from cameos, but I didn't MAKE UP the fact that his last role was a party member in an RPG from 22 years ago. That's not me misrepresenting Geno's significance.
Better cut out ROB then. Or Ness. Or better yet, Duck Hunt.
Your "objective" reasoning, for a lack of better word, is bull****.

Also you quite literally said he was from an "obscure SNES RPG" with "a cult following" so, lol.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The funniest thing about this is I have yet to meet a nicer group of supporters than the Geno supporters in this fanbase.

They've had this little character that could this entire time and I never see them bad mouth anyone. They don't bad mouth any other potential Mario reps or anything.

And that's another reason I truly feel they deserve their character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's the point of Pokemon newcomers. They usually go with whatever's popular and marketable at the time.
Do you honestly not see the hypocrisy in your posts? You claim that not everyone will be a fan favourite and the characters you expect are highly popular in their own right. I don't think it's just fan favourites either but it's pretty hypocritical to act like that, especially with how often you claim ig

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The only way it'd be more clear is if Geno actually makes it in. Honestly I'm surprised how I've accepted Geno, would always **** on his fans for expecting him but since that interview I've just come to accept him
For real, this is very ironic to me. I used to be the most anti-Geno, anti-Megaman person back in my Brawl Gamefaqs days, I honestly hated the idea. But after
seeing Megaman in 4... yeah, I guess I just got around accepting them

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Better cut out ROB then. Or Ness. Or better yet, Duck Hunt.
Your "objective" reasoning, for a lack of better word, is bull****.

Also you quite literally said he was from an "obscure SNES RPG" with "a cult following" so, lol.
This argument isn't worth getting this upset about.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Saying Geno would get in because of a cult internet following is disingenuous.

Geno is popular with an older crowd, The people who grew up with the SNES (And compounded with those younger ones who played SMRPG on the virtual console) Geno is popular in the same way Little mac is popular, or Captain Falcon is popular. And lets not act like SMRPG is some no name game from a barely remembered company. SMRPG is fondly remembered and adding older characters to popular fighting games allows the company to acknowledge its history while drawing in the nostalgic older crowd that wants to relive their childhood. EDIT: See Duck Hunt Dog as an example, (Though I will admit Duck hunt is probably more well known than SMRPG)

I mean, earlier in this thread i questioned just how popular Geno was and it made me think about his impact. And I realized (With this threads help) that Geno absolutely has a base to work from (In terms of popularity) And even if he wasn't as popular and well known as people make him out to be, saying that adding geno would be disrespectful is...a really strange argument to make that has no substance.

EDIT 2: Also just so you know, i'm not attacking you, I just disagree with your premise! :)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The funniest thing about this is I have yet to meet a nicer group of supporters than the Geno supporters in this fanbase.

They've had this little character that could this entire time and I never see them bad mouth anyone. They don't bad mouth any other potential Mario reps or anything.

And that's another reason I truly feel they deserve their character.
Nuh uh, Geno isn't the character I want so he doesn't deserve to get in because I say so, I want Mr. Doodle from the obscure DS game that you're all looking up to get a decent idea of what Mr. Doodle is, truly, the most iconic of icons

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
This whole Geno argument has made me wonder, considering how long it's been since Mario RPG, would Geno potentially be the "retro character"?
Nah... I think Sakurai likes to go deeper for that. I honestly thought it was going to be Sukapon this time, but since neither them or Takamaru are avaible, I'm really at a loss. Maybe it truly is Mach Rider lol

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This whole Geno argument has made me wonder, considering how long it's been since Mario RPG, would Geno potentially be the "retro character"?
I think he is a retro character but probably not the retro character.

But I wouldn't be upset if he was.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Go full retro and steal arthur from Ghosts and Goblins back from Capcom.

EDIT: BETTER YET, Surprise everyone with Glover, from the n64 game no one remembers but me! :')

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom