• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I

mean, it’s all but confirmed. I would be legitimately surprised if Elma didn’t get in, and Rex is very likely to be DLC
No no, K.Rool is a character that's all but confirmed, but I'm very interested in hearing where you got this mindset from. Elma has hardly any evidence to support her inclusion as of right now, and I'll admit that Rex is one of the more likely candidates as DLC, but both are nowhere near as popular as someone like K.Rool to just "expect" at this point.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yea, plus Sakurai loves Xenoblade in general. I’d say it’s going to happen. It seems too likely to not happen
With the amount of newcomers we're getting (not many), I wouldn't count on her showing up. Or anyone really. Maybe she'll be Sakurai's one passion character, but I think they're going for the really popular/iconic character this time around, the one that fans have been asking for for a while - i.e. Ridley, Daisy, etc.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
H
No no, K.Rool is a character that's all but confirmed, but I'm very interested in hearing where you got this mindset from. Elma has hardly any evidence to support her inclusion as of right now, and I'll admit that Rex is one of the more likely candidates as DLC, but both are nowhere near as popular as someone like K.Rool to just "expect" at this point.
How is K. Rool all but confirmed? I haven’t seen any evidence whatsoever for K. Rool being in

XCX came out at the right time for it to be relevant during Ultimate’s planning, and plus in 2016, Sakurai bought a mech for its rifle for a modeling reference for his secret project that turned out to be Smash Ultimate. There’s also Skaurai’s love for the Xenoblade series, which could possibly make him want to show off more characters.

D

Deleted member

Plot twist: The only Xenoblade newcomer is Underwear Shulk as a separate character.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The only possible way I could see Rex and Pyra getting in the base game is if Sakurai reserved a slot for them and got direct info from the XC2 team, and even then, he'd probably have to start on things like their designs later down the line because they weren't finalized until later in 2016. So basically it'd have to be an unprecedented situation. Which is why DLC seems far more likely to me.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I have no ill will against Xenoblade or its loyal fans, and I'm happy if you guys will probably get characters you like.

But just take timing out of it for a second. If Xenoblade can get a character from each of its three games and we can't even get ONE character from Golden Sun, a series with equal volume and roughly equal reception, just because of crummy timing, that's nonsense. And you know what, there's a real chance it'll happen. :(
Well you can only hope he did well in the ballot for him to be a playable character, whether its base game or DLC.

Isn't the Elma speculation just based off of Sakurai getting a mech rifle for reference and X coming out around the time Ultimate was planned?

Not sure that's all but confirmed. Maybe likely.
Yeah. Though I'd say it's more of the latter.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
H

How is K. Rool all but confirmed? I haven’t seen any evidence whatsoever for K. Rool being in

XCX came out at the right time for it to be relevant during Ultimate’s planning, and plus in 2016, Sakurai bought a mech for its rifle for a modeling reference for his secret project that turned out to be Smash Ultimate. There’s also Skaurai’s love for the Xenoblade series, which could possibly make him want to show off more characters.
The Mii Costume during the Smash 4 DLC, being one of the most popular/requested characters with a game focused on fan service, Ridley already got in

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Spoiler: none of these characters are all-but confirmed.

Except the confirmed ones.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
- King K. Rool
- Bandana Dee
- Geno
- Elma
- Third party character
- echo
- echo
- echo
-
-

I expect 10 more characters to be added, I put names in some characters that I actually expect to be there, then a third party character, 3 echoes, and 2 more characters that I am not sure who they can be, but they could be anything, from Ashley to the owl from ocarina of time.

Wambo

Smash Ace
H

I don't need to explain why K.Rool is a lock if you've a part of the Smash community. His popularity is almost Ridley-tier, he has literally no reasons for not getting in at this point, and his popularity far exceeds characters like Elma. Not saying she won't get in, but other characters have way more of a chance.

Plus, that "mech rifle" could be for literally anything.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't need to explain why K.Rool is a lock if you've a part of the Smash community. His popularity is almost Ridley-tier, he has literally no reasons for not getting in at this point, and his popularity far exceeds character like Elma. Not saying she won't get in, but other characters have way more of a chance.

Nothing is anywhere near the level of Ridley tier.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well you can only hope he did well in the ballot for him to be a playable character, whether its base game or DLC.
That is pretty much what I'm holding on to now~~

But frankly at this point I'd be satisfied if they just reinstated his AT status. Something.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
The Mii Costume during the Smash 4 DLC, being one of the most popular/requested characters with a game focused on fan service, Ridley already got in
i know this thread is ridiculously long but this was already addressed thoroughly. the conclusion: the costumes dont mean too much. unless you want to argue Heihachi and a list of other characters will be in as well. and king k isnt near ridley in request or popularity. ridley was a known popular request prior to social media. it was just a kniwn request. i perosnally trace it back to the melee cinematic and him not being in the game. king k has zeor references in smash games ridely has been present in every smash game since melee. he's been in more smash games than a large part of the current playable roster. there's no comparison.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
- King K. Rool
- Bandana Dee
- Geno
- Elma
- Third party character
- echo
- echo
- echo
-
-

I expect 10 more characters to be added, I put names in some characters that I actually expect to be there, then a third party character, 3 echoes, and 2 more characters that I am not sure who they can be, but they could be anything, from Ashley to the owl from ocarina of time.
Imma take a stab at it:

-K Rool
-Bandanna Dee
-Ashley
-Geno
-Elma
-Dixie Kong
-3rd Party: Simon Belmont
-Echo: Chrom
-Echo: Impa
-Echo: Dark Samus

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Corn on the Cob Brain: The next Xenoblade newcomer will be Bow Chilkin, a random XB1 enemy
Chicken Salad Brain: Both Tora from Xenoblade 2 and the previously mentioned Dora from Dora the Explorer are added to Smash, and when you put them on the same team, the game turns into a Romantic Comedy.
Spoiler: none of these characters are all-but confirmed.

Except the confirmed ones.
I mean, technically the confirmed ones aren't "All but confirmed" either, since by virtue of being confirmed, they can't be "all but confirmed".

But I get your point, I'm just being "That guy".

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I have no ill will against Xenoblade or its loyal fans, and I'm happy if you guys will probably get characters you like.

But just take timing out of it for a second. If Xenoblade can get a character from each of its three games and we can't even get ONE character from Golden Sun, a series with equal volume and roughly equal reception, just because of crummy timing, that's nonsense. And you know what, there's a real chance it'll happen. :(
This is something that seems odd to me - Why can series like Kid Icarus get as many characters as it has games, when it's not Nintendo's biggest franchise? Xeno's got a grand total of three games - at least under the Nintendo banner, while other series are lucky to get anything. Everyone points to DK, with 3 games in the DK arcade series, 5 in the Country branch, 3 DK land, and DK64, with numerous spinoffs and crossovers with Mario - and two characters and no assist trophies. Or consider Zelda with 19 main series games and a load of spinoffs, where most of their console games are GOTY winners, yet their character set is realistically only 3 unique movesets and 3 semi-clones.

Not that this should be a factor, but it is a little irksome at times to see this much disparity...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, technically the confirmed ones aren't "All but confirmed" either, since by virtue of being confirmed, they can't be "all but confirmed".

But I get your point, I'm just being "That guy".
Wanna tell me Ultimate is actually technically Smash 6, while you're at it? :p

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I don't need to explain why K.Rool is a lock if you've a part of the Smash community. His popularity is almost Ridley-tier, he has literally no reasons for not getting in at this point, and his popularity far exceeds character like Elma. Not saying she won't get in, but other characters have way more of a chance.

It could be for anything, but it would make a lot of sense for Elma, I don’t know what else the rifle would be for, could possibly be a Subspace thing? Idk. But I don’t think it would be for something like just a trophy or something

And I think Elma has just as much a chance as K. Rool. Those two seem like the safest bets for newcomers. With Rex being the safest bet for DLC

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
i know this thread is ridiculously long but this was already addressed thoroughly. the conclusion: the costumes dont mean too much. unless you want to argue hehachi and a list of other characters will be in as well.
I know it was discussed. But if we're talking about a mecha rifle "confirming" Elma, then the Mii Costume could be evidence that Sakurai was maybe thinking about including K Rool. Not saying he's a lock or anything, just a possibility.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
i know this thread is ridiculously long but this was already addressed thoroughly. the conclusion: the costumes dont mean too much. unless you want to argue hehachi and a list of other characters will be in as well.
Well, I did make a post about this subject earlier, with how costumes of existing characters seemed to borrow assets from the characters they were based off of. Here it is for your reading pleasure (or pain, it goes either way).
So I've been thinking about something lately, but it took me up to now from a year ago to actually make it public.

Has anyone bothered to take a look at the Mii Fighter outfits based off of some of the characters in-game? I might overthinking it, but I think that some of them might just be using almost the exact same models as the characters that they're based off of. First off, let's look at Samus and her Mii outfit.

When I look at it, I can see a lot of similarities to Samus herself, especially when it comes to the torso area and arm cannon. It's almost the same model, only with changed proportions in relation to the assigned Mii. Samus isn't the only one who's affected either, because Captain Falcon has the same situation.

The helmet, the boots, the scarf, the belt, and even the emblem of Falcon's back - they're all almost the exact same things that are present on the Mii costume, which give light t the possibility that they're shared models with alterations made for the Miis. Taking this into consideration, I personally believe that Sakurai may just be able to utilize the Mii outfits made in Sm4sh for the Switch game, meaning that all of these characters may actually have a great shot this time around (after all, we have the Inklings on the way).

Am I crazy, or am I on to something? Not even I know.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I didn't play XCX like I did with XC2 so I have no attachment towards Elma. Would be cool to get her but I wouldn't be devastated if we didn't.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, I did make a post about this subject earlier, with how costumes of existing characters seemed to borrow assets from the characters they were based off of. Here it is for your reading pleasure (or pain, it goes either way).
Yeah, I could see that being the case for a couple characters, if you have these assets already made why not use them again?
Also,
>Inklings on top
>Zero and Geno 2nd
>Takamaru, K. Rool, lloyd, Heihachi and Ashley 3rd
Clearly they're put in that order because they're all in and it is the order they'll be revealed in.
/s

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The Mii Costume during the Smash 4 DLC
Characters like Kuckles, Tails, Heihachi, Jacky, and Flying Man also had Mii Costumes.

A better argument you could have used is the fact there were custom textures made for K. Rool, when other characters simply used theiir trophy's assets.
being one of the most popular/requested characters with a game focused on fan service
When we only have three newcomers announced, one of which was the only one I could remotely call a "lock" :ultinkling:, can we really say for sure if this game is gonna focus on fan demand for its newcomers? That's what I think will happen personally, but I wanna see other newcomers before I write it off as such.
Ridley already got in
What does that have to do with anything? Because he was popular in speculation? So were a lot of other characters before they got in, what makes K. Rool any different?
How can you call someone a lock when they failed to make it into the last game? Nothing has changed for K. Rool since Smash 4 and his competition has only gotten stronger. It's just like Arlo saying Waluigi was guaranteed for this game despite him not getting in the three or arguably four chances he got.

I'm not gonna say he's not getting in, because I still believe he has a fighting chance this time, but he's far from guaranteed. Just like Ridley was before he was revealed.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Yeah, I could see that being the case for a couple characters, if you have these assets already made why not use them again?
Also,
>Inklings on top
>Zero and Geno 2nd
>Takamaru, K. Rool, lloyd, Heihachi and Ashley 3rd
Clearly they're put in that order because they're all in and it is the order they'll be revealed in.
/s
Actually that was entirely coincidental. I just took the picture the moment the match started.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So, if we've got 10 more characters:
  • K. Rool
  • Ashley
  • Geno
  • Bandana Dee
  • Elma
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Simon Belmont
  • Echo: Chrom
  • Echo: Dixie Kong
  • Echo: Isabelle

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Personally, the prospect of being able to manually place projects on the stage with Isabelle is an exciting concept to me.

Public Works Projects can be part of a function for a New Leaf stage, but such a stage function would more likely become an automated process, with the Villager, and Isabelle in the background slowly adding town objects to the stage, with animal villagers recommending the placements of projects in random locations. It is an ok idea, but I would rather have manual control of placing projects in stages via character. I love the idea of a character who has the ability to gain stage control over time. You know how in many city/town simulator games where you would be able to gain a feeling of satisfaction by gradually constructing houses and buildings for your place over time? This would essentially be Isabelle's play-style.

There is a variety of gameplay potential that she could utilize based on New Leaf's game design. You could incorporate an idea in which the more town projects you complete and place on the stage, the more happiness Isabelle gains, slightly boosting her stats. The town objects could serve as stage hazards, being useful tools for Isabelle as a form of defense and as a useful tactic for edge-guarding. You could also incorporate town laws, to which Isabelle could customize the timing of when objects should function (For example, if you placed a fountain via stage, she could be able to customize to when the fountain spouts water on the stage via simple press of the button, a customizable Pac-Man Fire Hydrant of sorts).

The variety of gameplay possibilities that can be incorporated to Isabelle via New Leaf is why I think the potential of Public Work Projects works better as a character. The idea of her play-style innocently placing projects around to improve her "town" (the stage), embodying the gameplay mechanics of town/city simulators, is unconventionally unique, and would make Isabelle a very fun character to play as.
Meanwhile, the handful of Dr. Wright fans will be sad that Isabelle got in over him.

I'm just kidding, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are folks that feel that way.

In before it's revealed that Sakurai's been working on a Vifam game all along. :p But seriously, if it's not for Smash, what could he possibly be planning to do with it?

Wambo

Smash Ace
Honestly, if this game is anything but mostly fan requests at this point, I don't understand what's going on in Sakurai's head. It just wouldn't make sense (especially from a marketing standpoint) to throw in characters nobody is asking for (like Chorus Men, for example), when the majority is asking for K.Rool, Bandanna Dee, Geno, Isaac, Ashley, Dixie Kong, Simon (cuz of Vergeben), Llyod, etc.

I mean, we did get EVERY character back, so who knows, maybe we will get mostly fan requests. And there's also Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley to help point to that.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thinking about it if all the 3rd partys got a +1 from their series do to overwhelming popularity, this is how I see it going based on ease of accessibility or preexisting assets. One is most likely the other is a stretch but just as possible

:ultryu:- Ken. The model exists already. The only different between the two is Ken has more speed and his uppercut has a fire element to it.
- Chun Li. The popular +1 of Ryu in a lot of crossovers namely Marvel vs Capcom. Has similar tools to Ryu, but is faster and and more aerial in most adaptations. Possibly shares a body type with :ultzss:as interactions of Chun LI have muscular legs, though they're thickness varies.

:ultsnake:- The Boss. Basically :ultzss:'s model with :ultsnake: moves

-Grey Fox. The model exists and is already rigged.

:ultpacman: - Mrs. Pacman as an alt (That's all I got)

:ultsonic:- Tails Model exists and is rigged as he appears in the Green Hill Zone stage, could use an altered version of :ultfox: final smash.

- Shadow. Though he has a few abilties that differ from Sonic these vary from game to game and can be ignored, while still staying true the character. His model exists, its rigged, and can have the same Final Smash as Sonic with little to no changes.

:ultcloud:- Tifa. Popular character can use an altered version :ultbayonetta::ultzss: models, Can be a stew of :ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon: seen here
- Sephiroth, he's him... Assets could be a mix of :ultcloud::ultridley::ultike::ultmewtwo:See here

:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne Bayo's Luigi. Her model exists and uses all the same abilities as Bayo. In Bayo 2 her Witch Time needs more precision to pull off. Various flavor texts describe her as the swordswoman of the two.

- (Bayo fans can call me out if this doesn't happen) I think Bayo 3 is going to have a true 3rd girl in it. Similarly to how Nero is the 3rd guy in the DMC series.

I do not know the nature of this character, I doubt it's going to be a child of either one of the current characters though. If anything it's a totally new character or a version of :ultbayonetta: reincarnated possibly as a female Lumen Sage.

What I'm getting at is that this character, whatever they are will be in Smash a promotional character ala :ultcorrin: for Bayo 3.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Thinking about it if all the 3rd partys got a +1 from their series do to overwhelming popularity, this is how I see it going based on ease of accessibility or preexisting assets. One is most likely the other is a stretch but just as possible

:ultryu:- Ken. The model exists already. The only different between the two is Ken has more speed and his uppercut has a fire element to it.
- Chun Li. The popular +1 of Ryu in a lot of crossovers namely Marvel vs Capcom. Has similar tools to Ryu, but is faster and and more aerial in most adaptations. Possibly shares a body type with :ultzss:as interactions of Chun LI have muscular legs, though they're thickness varies.

:ultsnake:- The Boss. Basically :ultzss:'s model with :ultsnake: moves

-Grey Fox. The model exists and is already rigged.

:ultpacman: - Mrs. Pacman as an alt (That's all I got)

:ultsonic:- Tails Model exists and is rigged as he appears in the Green Hill Zone stage, could use an altered version of :ultfox: final smash.

- Shadow. Though he has a few abilties that differ from Sonic these vary from game to game and can be ignored, while still staying true the character. His model exists, its rigged, and can have the same Final Smash as Sonic with little to no changes.

:ultcloud:- Tifa. Popular character can use an altered version :ultbayonetta::ultzss: models, Can be a stew of :ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon: seen here
- Sephiroth, he's him... Assets could be a mix of :ultcloud::ultridley::ultike::ultmewtwo:See here

:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne Bayo's Luigi. Her model exists and uses all the same abilities as Bayo. In Bayo 2 her Witch Time needs more precision to pull off. Various flavor texts describe her as the swordswoman of the two.

- (Bayo fans can call me out if this doesn't happen) I think Bayo 3 is going to have a true 3rd girl in it. Similarly to how Nero is the 3rd guy in the DMC series.

I do not know the nature of this character, I doubt it's going to be a child of either one of the current characters though. If anything it's a totally new character or a version of :ultbayonetta: reincarnated possibly as a female Lumen Sage.

What I'm getting at is that this character, whatever they are will be in Smash a promotional character ala :ultcorrin: for Bayo 3.
There might be a tiny issue with the existing models, as they're either lower-poly than player characters (Gray Fox & Shadow, being assist trophies) or ripped from their original games (Jeanne & Ken). I think they'd still be pretty cool to see nonetheless, though. I welcome anyone and everyone to Smash.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can we get someone to compare the Inklings Model to the Mii Costume? That would either confirm or disconfirm this theory.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Consistently using phrases like "all but confirmed" is the quickest and overall best way to end up disappointed.

In the game of Smash, all characters are considered disconfirmed until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom