• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
That raises a question tho:

Where are the Z-moves?

They were pushing them like mad this gen so why's not a single Pokemon got one (yet?) in smash?
Well for one, the only Pokemon without an already existing Final Smash was Pichu, and it makes sense for Pichu to get Volt Tackle since it's actually its signature move.

All other Pokemon already had Final Smashes, and in Lucario's case, we might see Aura Storm make a comeback just like Triple Finish.

Decidueye and Incineroar both have exclusive Z-Moves that would work well as Final Smashes, so if they get in, that's likely what their FSes will be.

Mimikyu and Lycanroc's exclusive Z-Moves were only added in USUM, so if they get in, they'd likely either have their type's Z-Move, or something original.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t think Lycanroc or Mimikyu will get in. If we’re getting another Pokémon rep, it’ll be Decidueye
I could see Sakurai going with the other two because he doesn’t wanna copy Pokken. Or just his own preference.

I don’t personally have a preference. They’d all be cool additions, whether we get archer bird, ghost Pikachu, or werewolf dog

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Small Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U"

Big Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U, Rex & Pyra/Mythra will be DLC"

Infinite Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U, Malos & Sever will be DLC"

:4roy:
Celestial Brain: ELMA WILL BE IN SMASH U, MALOS & SEVER WILL BE DLC AS AN ECHO FIGHTER OF SHULK

Zeox

Smash Champion
Pretty much. In comparison the elma reaction from casual fans would probably be more like

"Who the **** is this character??"

But she has a likeable design and would make for a cool and interesting moveset so I don't think too many would be upset by it.
Never played any xenoblade game, have no idea about anything but can confirm that Elma's design is more appealing than Rex and Pyra.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I mark every day with a "fighter of the day":

View attachment 151495

If this continued like this, it would be 26 weeks in total with 3 characters a week... 26 * 3 = 78 characters in total (this, of course, if they don't decide to take a week without adding anything or something like this)
Interesting. I do wonder if they’ll reveal all the characters ahead of time or save any. I mean they pretty much revealed 66 in one go, so.

And last game there were only 2 secret newcomers

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That raises a question tho:

Where are the Z-moves?

They were pushing them like mad this gen so why's not a single Pokemon got one (yet?) in smash?
The only pokemon in smash that has an exclusive Z move though is pikachu, and that one involves a trainer which smash pikachu doesn't have.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like Elma will be at least tolerated by most people, it's just mostly people not knowing who she is due to Xenoblade 2 overshadowing X and people wanting rex and pyra instead. But if she actually gets in I feel most people won't really care or they'll be excited, not much outright hatred.

If anything Rex and pyra will get more hate by non-xenoblade fans who hate their designs tbh.
Such hatred would mostly get mitigated if XBCX had a Switch port, in my opinion.

Interesting. I do wonder if they’ll reveal all the characters ahead of time or save any. I mean they pretty much revealed 66 in one go, so.

I hope to all the Gods that they won't save future reveals for after the game's released...

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Never played any xenoblade game, have no idea about anything but can confirm that Elma's design is more appealing than Rex and Pyra.
Also her battle sounds are better.
It's like this, but Shulk is Patrick, Elma is Spongebob, and Rex is the big fish.

"ME AND PYRA WILL SHOW YOU WHAT WE CAN DO."

Not with voice acting like that Rex (still love you though).

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
BIONIS BRAIN: MELIA AND REYN ARE NEWCOMERS WHILE X AND 2 ONLY GET MII FIGHTER COSTUMES TO REPRESENT THEM
Zanza Brain: there isn't any Xenoblade newcomer, Shulk remain the only character to represent the franchise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Rex fans (of which I am one) understand that his likelihood is low given when the roster was decided.
Sure, we all know, but most people don't dig for smaller details like that. Characters like Rex or Spring-Man still seem largely expected elsewhere.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well tbf Mega Evolution can only happen with a trainer yet Lucario and Mewtwo are the only Pokemon who don't come from Pokeballs as entrance animations
Well Z-moves in general need a trainer like mega evos but I'm talking about the animation for Pikachu's Z-move itself which involves the trainer more so than any other Z-move, without the trainer the attack would look kinda dull anyway

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sure, we all know, but most people don't dig for smaller details like that. Characters like Rex or Spring-Man still seem largely expected elsewhere.
People have to remember that the SmashBoards comunity don't represent there more "casual" members of the fanbase (you know, like people from YouTube).

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Eventually someone had to mention Zanza; this non-so-fresh Xenoblade spoilers :p
Heh, with Fiora spoilers and the game being 10 years old, I think we can be more cool on Xenoblade spoilers, right?

Plus, I'm talking about

Mid-game Zanza (when he possessed a giant), not endgame Zanza, so, it's not as big as you may think. ;)

Beside that, I really want Shulk, Elma & Rex ( or any XB2 character too) to be in Ultimate, I don't care if the XB2 character is DLC or not, let the peoples of the Bionis, The Elmanonis & The Pyranonis to live in harmony. :)

**** the Jujunonis tho.:4charizard:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Once I finish every character codec, I might do the same thing but with Sonic, Tails, Amy and Eggman. Sonic Forces "Codecs" are something I really want to see but doubt will happen, plus I feel I'll be more comfortable writing stuff with those characters rather than the KI cast. This depends on who appears as playable or an AT or other kind of NPC though. If Knux wasn't an AT, he would've been included too.
In regards to Palutena's Guidance, I had the most success setting up Palutena's Guidance conversations for Pichu, Wolf, Ridley, Daisy, Mewtwo, Pokémon Trainer, and Inkling, since I was able to figure out the best way for Pit, Palutena, and Viridi to talk about them. However, I pretty much ran into a brick wall with any new concepts after finishing up with the Inkling. I originally planned to do one for the Ice Climbers, but I couldn't really get it to work just right. And I don't exactly have any ideas for Solid Snake, or the other six Smash 3DS / Wii U DLC fighters.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Heh, with Fiora spoilers and the game being 10 years old, I think we can be more cool on Xenoblade spoilers, right?

Plus, I'm talking about

Mid-game Zanza (when he possessed a giant), not endgame Zanza, so, it's not as big as you may think. ;)

Beside that, I really want Shulk, Elma & Rex ( or any XB2 character too) to be in Ultimate, I don't care if the XB2 character is DLC or not, let the peoples of the Bionis, The Elmanonis & The Pyranonis to live in harmony. :)

**** the Jujunonis tho.:4charizard:
It’s gonna be so cool to have all three Xenoblade protagonists in Smash!!!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
another supposive leak

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

got to get this one before its deleted

I might delete this post soon since I don't want to cause the source I got this information from any trouble though I can't help it to share this information out of curiosity, even if it won't stay here for too long.

Here is some basic information that I've got:

- The Fire Emblem Series won't receive any newcomers but 2 who are based on existing fighters
- The Legend of Zelda Series won't receive any newcomers
- The Pokemon Series won't receive any newcomers
- Something about an addition to Cloud was mentioned, though I don't know for now if it's gonna be another Final Fantasy character or some other Square Enix character (@Smashoperatingbuddy123 Notes: its got to be Geno)

There are gonna be 12 newcomers in total from which 5 of them are going to be based on other fighters.

For the new ones I only got information on 3 characters who should appear in this title:

- Simon Belmont
- King K. Rool
- Isaac
- X
- X
- X
- X

As for the 5 who are based on other fighters I could also just get the name of 3 of them:

- Chrom based on Roy (appearently with other effects than flames?)
- Soren (I don't know about any changes but he willl be based on Robin)
- Ken ( Based on Ryu with Flame effects)
- X
- X

Some of those will be announced very soon.

Take it or leave it I don't care, I will delete this post soon anyways.

Well out of all the leaks atleast this one is more believable than the ones i have seen

but really im calling it snowballing due to simon belmont
- Soren (I don't know about any changes but he willl be based on Robin)

I assume this is the Soren from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't exactly recall Soren yielding a sword (if Robin is his echo.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t think Lycanroc or Mimikyu will get in. If we’re getting another Pokémon rep, it’ll be Decidueye
I wish I could say this without knowing that I'm lying to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And the three of them will be a single character, they are like ice climbers, but worse.
Worse than Rosaluma aswell?
And

And even then they ended up not being secret for half of that last game

Zeox

Smash Champion
I mark every day with a "fighter of the day":

View attachment 151495

If this continued like this, it would be 26 weeks in total with 3 characters a week... 26 * 3 = 78 characters in total (this, of course, if they don't decide to take a week without adding anything or something like this)
So, if we have 65 characters already.... +3 echoes... 68. 10 Characters left to be revealed if the "3 each week" is true.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have no ill will against Xenoblade or its loyal fans, and I'm happy if you guys will probably get characters you like.

But just take timing out of it for a second. If Xenoblade can get a character from each of its three games and we can't even get ONE character from Golden Sun, a series with equal volume and roughly equal reception, just because of crummy timing, that's nonsense. And you know what, there's a real chance it'll happen. :(

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
When I hear ideas that Isabelle would "use Public works projects", that to me doesn't make as much sense. Isabelle doesn't just "make" projects, she puts the plan into motion with the help of the Town. The Public Works projects seems like they'd work far better as a function of a stage, similar to Town and City, though I'm not sure how many Animal Crossing stages we're going to get.

Basically, not everything from every series needs to be represented through a playable moveset, especially when it doesn't really translate to a good moveset that portrays the character well. This is exactly the same thing with the no-creativity Mario Party/Tennis Waluigi movesets.

This is not an anti-Isabelle post, but more of just an observation of how Sakurai represents series in other ways.
Personally, the prospect of being able to manually place projects on the stage with Isabelle is an exciting concept to me.

Public Works Projects can be part of a function for a New Leaf stage, but such a stage function would more likely become an automated process, with the Villager, and Isabelle in the background slowly adding town objects to the stage, with animal villagers recommending the placements of projects in random locations. It is an ok idea, but I would rather have manual control of placing projects in stages via character. I love the idea of a character who has the ability to gain stage control over time. You know how in many city/town simulator games where you would be able to gain a feeling of satisfaction by gradually constructing houses and buildings for your place over time? This would essentially be Isabelle's play-style.

There is a variety of gameplay potential that she could utilize based on New Leaf's game design. You could incorporate an idea in which the more town projects you complete and place on the stage, the more happiness Isabelle gains, slightly boosting her stats. The town objects could serve as stage hazards, being useful tools for Isabelle as a form of defense and as a useful tactic for edge-guarding. You could also incorporate town laws, to which Isabelle could customize the timing of when objects should function (For example, if you placed a fountain via stage, she could be able to customize to when the fountain spouts water on the stage via simple press of the button, a customizable Pac-Man Fire Hydrant of sorts).

The variety of gameplay possibilities that can be incorporated to Isabelle via New Leaf is why I think the potential of Public Work Projects works better as a character. The idea of her play-style innocently placing projects around to improve her "town" (the stage), embodying the gameplay mechanics of town/city simulators, is unconventionally unique, and would make Isabelle a very fun character to play as.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I

mean, it’s all but confirmed. I would be legitimately surprised if Elma didn’t get in, and Rex is very likely to be DLC
Isn't the Elma speculation just based off of Sakurai getting a mech rifle for reference and X coming out around the time Ultimate was planned?

Not sure that's all but confirmed. Maybe likely.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the Elma speculation just based off of Sakurai getting a mech rifle for reference and X coming out around the time Ultimate was planned?

Not sure that's all but confirmed. Maybe likely.
Yea, plus Sakurai loves Xenoblade in general. I’d say it’s going to happen. It seems too likely to not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom