• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I haven't seen anyone talk about this but the Facebook page posted Krystal as an assist. Nothing new obviously but different than the Smash Blog. Also I didn't know she fought with ice attacks.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I fee like if Elma makes it in, she'd be pretty hated too, at least among Xenoblade fans, since most people seem to want Rex/Pyra over her. Even though Rex is pretty much impossible, and Elma already seems very likely.
I feel like Elma will be at least tolerated by most people, it's just mostly people not knowing who she is due to Xenoblade 2 overshadowing X and people wanting rex and pyra instead. But if she actually gets in I feel most people won't really care or they'll be excited, not much outright hatred.

If anything Rex and pyra will get more hate by non-xenoblade fans who hate their designs tbh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also regarding the stage discussion, I honestly think some confirmed stages shouldn't have came back, and some unconfirmed stages also shouldn't be brought back.
Like was there any reason to bring back Brinstar? Especially when the similar but less terrible Planet Zebes exists.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Also regarding the stage discussion, I honestly think some confirmed stages shouldn't have came back, and some unconfirmed stages also shouldn't be brought back.
Like was there any reason to bring back Brinstar? Especially when the similar but less terrible Planet Zebes exists.
brinstar> zebes but I'm tired of "the lava is rising" stages in general

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll be brutally honest: I didn't support Elma initially because Xenoblade getting two characters with only two games rubbed me the wrong way, but now they have three and I really don't want Rex & Pyra to be included so she has all my best wishes, haha. ;)

If anything Rex and pyra will get more hate by non-xenoblade fans who hate their designs tbh.

Not that I'm not a fan, it's just that I've only played the first (which I did enjoy).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
one stock brawl is legit fun, just gonna come in and say that.
One Stock, Giant, Flower, 2.0 Damage Ratio, Smart Bombs Only, Brawl on Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 is absolutely hilarious.

Each battle lasts about 4 seconds and even glitches the game's visual effects, it's amazing.

I sincerely hope that 1-2 is back for Smash Ultimate. I want to relive the old days.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I fee like if Elma makes it in, she'd be pretty hated too, at least among Xenoblade fans, since most people seem to want Rex/Pyra over her. Even though Rex is pretty much impossible, and Elma already seems very likely.
Elmas shooting for base Roster.

Rex/Pyra are shooting for DLC.

we'll see what happens, but i dont see them competing too much at this point.

Pakky

Smash Hero
another supposive leak

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/supe...te-updated-character-videos-and-more.1463068/

got to get this one before its deleted

I might delete this post soon since I don't want to cause the source I got this information from any trouble though I can't help it to share this information out of curiosity, even if it won't stay here for too long.

Here is some basic information that I've got:

- The Fire Emblem Series won't receive any newcomers but 2 who are based on existing fighters
- The Legend of Zelda Series won't receive any newcomers
- The Pokemon Series won't receive any newcomers
- Something about an addition to Cloud was mentioned, though I don't know for now if it's gonna be another Final Fantasy character or some other Square Enix character (@Smashoperatingbuddy123 Notes: its got to be Geno)

There are gonna be 12 newcomers in total from which 5 of them are going to be based on other fighters.

For the new ones I only got information on 3 characters who should appear in this title:

- Simon Belmont
- King K. Rool
- Isaac
- X
- X
- X
- X

As for the 5 who are based on other fighters I could also just get the name of 3 of them:

- Chrom based on Roy (appearently with other effects than flames?)
- Soren (I don't know about any changes but he willl be based on Robin)
- Ken ( Based on Ryu with Flame effects)
- X
- X

Some of those will be announced very soon.

Take it or leave it I don't care, I will delete this post soon anyways.

Well out of all the leaks atleast this one is more believable than the ones i have seen

but really im calling it snowballing due to simon belmont

"- The Pokemon Series won't receive any newcomers"

Already fake as hell.

So Pokemon Company is going to let Smash miss not one but two gens completely?

Okay... Yeah sure.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Not just high level, they're unpopular at all levels, you'll see tons of saltly reactions to getting wobbled in pools and what-not, although Brawl Ice Climbers are a little different than melee Ice Climbers in that they're legitimately broken and overpowered instead of having simply one broken tool, so you'll get even more negative reactions from them.
We’ve already seen how Sakurai decided to fix that particular issue. The second climber can’t grab anymore and just cheers while the other throws. Wobbling and chaingrabs are already dead.
They're definitely unpopular, but not so much that they're actively hated by everyone, there are many ways around wobbling in Melee and they aren't considered anywhere near top tier, while they're still outdone by Meta Knight in Brawl.

Everything indicates that any form of chain grab shenanigans with them are impossible in Ultimate.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

My fear is that, even without their chain grabs, they will still have the bad reputation from their previous games behind them. Which may cause high player to be overly harsh against them and give the wrong message to Sakurai & his team.

Some IC player already think the duo will be bad in this game due to the change to their grabs. And as someone who wasn't a big fan of the IC in previous game at casual level, I don't wish for theirs mains to get treated like crap for problems that aren't there anymore. The past is in the past, they are others way to make a character like IC work without wobble or infinite chaingrab, and I hope the Smash team will find a way to balance them well enough.
Brinstar layout would be better when hazard are toggle off, while Zebes's layout would be more fun with stage hazard on.

If anything, I don't see Sector Z coming back, since it's just Corneria but bigger, without any major difference beside the size.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Elma will be at least tolerated by most people, it's just mostly people not knowing who she is due to Xenoblade 2 overshadowing X and people wanting rex and pyra instead. But if she actually gets in I feel most people won't really care or they'll be excited, not much outright hatred.

Yea, that's true.
Elmas shooting for base Roster.

Rex/Pyra are shooting for DLC.

we'll see what happens, but i dont see them competing too much at this point.
Yea, that's exactly what I've been thinking. Elma will be in the base roster, and Rex/Pyra will be DLC. And I think it's going to happen, Elma has a very high chance of getting in, and obviously Rex/Pyra has a high chance of getting in as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Timeliness, not timelessness. Who is timely. I agree.

I wish the roster was based more around timelessness. Then the characters I support might actually have a shot, like Scarf Boy.
Ah. This is what happens when I don't read a word carefully. :V

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Already fake as hell.

Okay... Yeah sure.
I mean, what are they going to do about it? If Sakurai doesn't want a Pokémon newcomer then that's that, they don't have any power on that front. Besides, regardless of what happens on the Pokémon front in the base game it's very likely we'll get a Gen 8 newcomer as DLC anyways, so at the end of the day they're still going to get their promotional stuff.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
about smash blog... they have been making 3 fighters of the day each week? like, every time they do it different, but, there is always 3 characters for week?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don't know if they are controversial per say, but isn't the Ice Climbers in both Melee and Brawl very unpopular at high level due to wobble/infinite chaingrab?

If the answer is yes, I hope Sakurai can make them actual characters instead of salt maker in Ultimate. I don't want them to be bad, but I prefer if they could find a way to remove the bad reputation those two had for two games now.
Well, given that chain grabs are no longer possible and that it's no longer possible to attack/grab while grabbing/being grabbed, I'd say most of the problems people had with them are gone.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Another "leak." The name of the "leaker:? ESRB1753 (that means nothing, but it's funny that he's trying to imitate the ESRB leak).
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422977159
NEW CHARACTERS:
Simon Belmont
King K. Rool
Lycanroc
Shovel Knight
Rex/Pyra

NEW ECHOES:
Dark Samus
Ninten

NEW STAGES:
Gyromite
Altar of the Sunne/Moone
Bowser's Castle
Indoline Praetorium
Dracula's Castle
Gangplank Galleon
Tower of Fate
Dr. Mario

RETURNING STAGES:
Fountain of Dreams
Pictochat X (combines drawings from both)
Poke Floats, as well as a second version with Gen 3-7 Pokemon
Brinstar Depths

MODES:
Classic Mode functions like a combination of Melee and 3DS, featuring multiple paths and randomized challenges.
Adventure Mode from Melee returns, and has several linear 2D stages and bosses.
Events are laid out similar to Melee and Brawl.
Smash Run returns, but not Smash Tour.
Target Tests for each character are back, but Target Blast still remains with 5 stages.
All-Star now toggles how many fighters from each generation appear via difficulty.

I hope this information will be received well. There are demos slowly being leaked out according to my sources, so stay tuned.
This is the first leak to have Lycanroc. Slowly and surely people are finding out who the real front runner is.

Lol. It’s fake.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*Uses Google search*

Oh yeah, Soren, my most wanted character, what an iconic and popular character he is.
I mean to be fair, in the context of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn he's a fairly important character, serving as Ike's tactician and friend. In fact Ike is pretty much his only friend, considering Soren's kind of a ****.

That being said I think I could name over forty characters from Fire Emblem I'd prefer to see in his place, but still.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Brinstar is the best Metroid stage they've made so I'll take it back any day.
It's Norfair that blows, even though I realize it has a gimmick of the safety pad...that you sometimes don't even need to escape the lava.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Brinstar is the best Metroid stage they've made so I'll take it back any day.
It's Norfair that blows, even though I realize it has a gimmick of the safety pad...that you sometimes don't even need to escape the lava.
Norfair is a fun stage on 8 Player Smash though. It has a pretty unique and fun layout to play on.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
While I can see the argument that Pokémon wouldn’t get a new rep because of Pichu and Pokémon Trainer being brought back...

It’s Pokemon. They’re gonna market it.

Lycanroc/Decidueye/Mimikyu. One of those are getting in the base roster. I would be shocked if they didn’t

Zeox

Smash Champion
So far yeah, and 1 new remix too
I mark every day with a "fighter of the day":

Calendario Smash.png

If this continued like this, it would be 26 weeks in total with 3 characters a week... 26 * 3 = 78 characters in total (this, of course, if they don't decide to take a week without adding anything or something like this)

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Yea, that's true.

Yea, that's exactly what I've been thinking. Elma will be in the base roster, and Rex/Pyra will be DLC. And I think it's going to happen, Elma has a very high chance of getting in, and obviously Rex/Pyra has a high chance of getting in as well.
I can see the fear here being Xenoblade being this games "fire emblem" where people complain at the end it was over represented (though i think 3 characters isnt too bad no matter the series, so probably not as much hate) but Xenoblade is set up perfectly to have sakurai pick Elma back when the initial roster was decided and then want Rex/Pyra now and put them in for DLC. So we end up with both where as we may have only gotten one if the timeline was different somehow.

Personally i think the remaining amount of base roster newcomers is very small and will be almost entirely ballot choices this time, so i'm thinking just Rex/Pyra as DLC is the most likely scenario but thats my own personal prediction and im not blind to the fact Elma has a good shot given the scenario i laid out above.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
While I can see the argument that Pokémon wouldn’t get a new rep because of Pichu and Pokémon Trainer being brought back...

It’s Pokemon. They’re gonna market it.

Lycanroc/Decidueye/Mimikyu. One of those are getting in the base roster. I would be shocked if they didn’t
I don’t think Lycanroc or Mimikyu will get in. If we’re getting another Pokémon rep, it’ll be Decidueye

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Soren is a jerk with a heart of gold.

He just only shows his heart to two people.

Ike and rarely Titania.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Once Gen 6 showed up and there was no feasible posterchild (though **** it Sylveon could've worked... gross tongue frog), we thought we wouldn't get a new Pokerep. Then we did.

This 'no new Pokemon' thing seems like not learning from our mistakes. TPC are pushers, we know dis.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I can see the fear here being Xenoblade being this games "fire emblem" where people complain at the end it was over represented (though i think 3 characters isnt too bad no matter the series, so probably not as much hate) but Xenoblade is set up perfectly to have sakurai pick Elma back when the initial roster was decided and then want Rex/Pyra now and put them in for DLC. So we end up with both where as we may have only gotten one if the timeline was different somehow.

Personally i think the remaining amount of base roster newcomers is very small and will be almost entirely ballot choices this time, so i'm thinking just Rex/Pyra as DLC is the most likely scenario but thats my own personal prediction and im not blind to the fact Elma has a good shot given the scenario i laid out above.
I feel like the majority will be ballot characters as well, with a few exceptions, like Elma

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I can see the reactions to Rex and Pyra being playable in Smash.

"What's with these designs?!? Get this weeb garbage away from Smash!"

"These designs makes me want to vomit. What happened to good taste?"

"Yuck, no thank you, I want nothing to do with these otaku-pandering characters."

Once Gen 6 showed up and there was no feasible posterchild (though **** it Sylveon could've worked... gross tongue frog), we thought we wouldn't get a new Pokerep. Then we did.

This 'no new Pokemon' thing seems like not learning from our mistakes. TPC are pushers, we know dis.
Mewtwo was the poster boy of Gen 6 at the time.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well, given that chain grabs are no longer possible and that it's no longer possible to attack/grab while grabbing/being grabbed, I'd say most of the problems people had with them are gone.
It's less their chaingrab that worry me, it's the reputation they have in the Smash community at high level that worry me.

Like, if you hated a character in a previous game, and the Smash team would pay attention to what you say, while wouldn't you go for more nerf to make sure that character you disliked fighting alot get even worse? Even if the reason why you hated that character is already gone?

I don't know, maybe I'm just worrying for nothing - which wouldn't be weird tbh - , but I feel like IC main are going to have to try their best to change the reputation IC have in the community, MK was deemed trash when Smash 4 came out even tho he still had some good tools, due to the fact that, among others things, peoples were still salty about him due to Brawl . Now, yeah, some peoples still remember the "good" old days, but MK doesn't get much problems from peoples anymore in Smash 4, all the while being a decent character at high level.

If MK was able to remove that bad image he had and still be good. Then I hope IC (& Bayo) can make the jump without too much problems too.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that this leak is fake. FE already has an echo so why should they add 2 more? And with this, FE would have 8 characters. That is more than Pokemon (if PT's Pokemon are counted as one character, with 7) and equal to Mario. FE isn't big enough to have this many characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

That raises a question tho:

Where are the Z-moves?

They were pushing them like mad this gen so why's not a single Pokemon got one (yet?) in smash?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think that this leak is fake. FE already has an echo so why should they add 2 more? And with this, FE would have 8 characters. That is more than Pokemon (if PT's Pokemon are counted as one character, with 7) and equal to Mario. FE isn't big enough to have this many characters.
It's to make up for the lack of everything else then :troll:

Also I see people are still thinking Xenoblade fans can't criticize Xenoblade games lol

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I can see the reactions to Rex and Pyra being playable in Smash.

"What's with these designs?!? Get this weeb garbage away from Smash!"

"These designs makes me want to vomit. What happened to good taste?"

"Yuck, no thank you, I want nothing to do with these otaku-pandering characters."

Pretty much. In comparison the elma reaction from casual fans would probably be more like

"Who the **** is this character??"

But she has a likeable design and would make for a cool and interesting moveset so I don't think too many would be upset by it.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Already fake as hell.

Okay... Yeah sure.
Oh my!

This leak is quite absurd... I'll give it points for originality (I don't see Soren appearing in Smash; but at least I consider possible the idea of non-Marth FE Echoes).

Soren is a jerk with a heart of gold.

He just only shows his heart to two people.

Ike and rarely Titania.
For most of the people he is just a Jerk with a Good Point

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah you're right. The fact that you can't go through floors and ceilings always annoyed me though haha.

We do need a proper SMB3 stage, agreed.
The closest we have to a SMB3 stage is Super Mario Maker stage. But yeah, a proper SMB3 stage would be nice.

I think it would be cool if it had those colorful blocks that you can hide behind. Fighters in front of those blocks cannot attack fighters hiding behind the blocks and vice versa. Stage hazards would be the Paragoomba with baby Goombas that hinder your ability to jump, those jumping blocks with baby Goombas inside, and the Angry Sun. I guess it could be Desert Land (Grass Land is already represented via Super Mario Maker stage).

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I feel like the majority will be ballot characters as well, with a few exceptions, like Elma
yeah its definitely possible:

I give her, echo fighters, a pokemon rep, and a retro rep the exception to ballot choices but i dont think we'll get ALL of those exception so its a matter of which ones happen.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. In comparison the elma reaction from casual fans would probably be more like

"Who the **** is this character??"

But she has a likeable design and would make for a cool and interesting moveset so I don't think too many would be upset by it.
Yea, that’s how it’d be, lol. And all the Rex fans would be even angrier, lol.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Small Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U"

Big Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U, Rex & Pyra/Mythra will be DLC"

Infinite Brain: "Elma will be in Smash U, Malos & Sever will be DLC"

:4roy:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mega Mewtwo Y was. But it's understandable why that wasn't expected as more than a FS.
Which ended up being the case.

That raises a question tho:

Where are the Z-moves?

They were pushing them like mad this gen so why's not a single Pokemon got one (yet?) in smash?
Well there's still Lucario and whatever new Poke we get.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
yeah its definitely possible:

I give her, echo fighters, a pokemon rep, and a retro rep the exception to ballot choices but i dont think we'll get ALL of those exception so its a matter of which ones happen.
I think Elma is a guaranteed newcomer. There’s s lot of evidence pointing towards her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom