• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Normally I'd agree with "clones are first to go", but I feel like Daisy's here to stay.

Echo or not, she's such an iconic character. It'd be weird for Sakurai to drop her before Dr. Mario TBH.
I wanna agree with you especially since its taken so long for her to be included but I dunno. I don't think either Daisy or Doc are coming back assuming the whole "reboot" talk means anything.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Normally I'd agree with "clones are first to go", but I feel like Daisy's here to stay.

Echo or not, she's such an iconic character. It'd be weird for Sakurai to drop her before Dr. Mario TBH.
There's literally no point in dropping an Echo since they're even easier to make than other clone types.

Now if it's a 3rd party echo or generally one with licensing issues in any way, that's another kettle of fish.

But yeah, Dr. Mario being low priority can make sense. Any Echo, which takes barely any effort to make, even if low priority, is less likely to be cut than a regular clone, semi-clone, or unique character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ya im not even sure why Dr. Mario was on the roster in the first place
Dr. Mario was on the roster for three reasons.
  1. Time crunch, Melee had very little development time left, and Sakurai wanted to pad out the roster.
  2. Dr. Mario, the video game, was popular
  3. As an obvious Mario clone, he was an easy character to make.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If we get a reboot 10 or 15 years down the road, here’s who I would expect to return.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultlink::ultkirby::ultfox::ultdk::ultzelda::ultwario::ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultyoshi:

Everyone else is chopping block material imo.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There's literally no point in dropping an Echo since they're even easier to make than other clone types.

Now if it's a 3rd party echo or generally one with licensing issues in any way, that's another kettle of fish.

But yeah, Dr. Mario being low priority can make sense. Any Echo, which takes barely any effort to make, even if low priority, is less likely to be cut than a regular clone, semi-clone, or unique character.
I mean only two clones reappeared in Brawl as veterans, and even then one of them was revamped so much you could barely call them a clone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wanna agree with you especially since its taken so long for her to be included but I dunno. I don't think either Daisy or Doc are coming back assuming the whole "reboot" talk means anything.
In any case, all this talk about "reboots" is just pure conjecture around here anyway. We honestly don't know what will happen from this point onwards.

Besides, I doubt they'd drop Daisy after fans wanted her in for so long. It'd be like cutting out Ganondorf because Falcon was used as a base for him.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

I'm not sure I'd call "loud orange peach" an iconic character. I'm sure a lot of people have good memories with her, but to the layperson she is just that: loud orange peach. I mean, I'm not much higher above "layperson" and I was absolutely astonished that not only did she appear in Smash Bros., but people actually cared.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we get a reboot 10 or 15 years down the road, here’s who I would expect to return.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultlink::ultkirby::ultfox::ultdk::ultzelda::ultwario::ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultbowser::ultyoshi:

Everyone else is shopping block material imo.
Villager and Inkling might be worth keeping.

Being new doesn't take away from the success of their franchises.

I'm not sure I'd call "loud orange peach" an iconic character. I'm sure a lot of people have good memories with her, but to the layperson she is just that: loud orange peach.
She's a recurring Mario character who's essentially been the queen of spin-offs for two decades. Even if she looks like an orange Peach, people can probably look at her and say, "Hey, I remember her! She's that princess from the Mario games!"

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
In any case, all this talk about "reboots" is just pure conjecture around here anyway. We honestly don't know what will happen from this point onwards.

Besides, I doubt they'd drop Daisy after fans wanted her in for so long. It'd be like cutting out Ganondorf because Falcon was used as a base for him.
That isn't the same thing at all but I agree the discussion is pretty pointless.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If a reboot is to happen, the only characters I'd bet money on coming back are
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpit::ultinkling:
Everyone else's chances are up in the air.

That said I'm really not a fan of the "reboot" idea, like at all. But I assume Ultimate will be the last game for a while so I don't need to worry about that for quite some time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean only two clones reappeared in Brawl as veterans, and even then one of them was revamped so much you could barely call them a clone.
That doesn't really change my point. An Echo won't get cut, but we can see a clone, semi-clone, or unique character get cut.

Young Link, Pichu(clones) got cut. Wolf and Lucas got cut(semi-clones, though Lucas returned as DLC). Mewtwo(unique) got cut, and didn't make 4's base roster either(but did return as DLC).

Echoes require so little effort that they are pointless cuts. There's not enough time needed to justify ignoring how easy they are. Anything beyond that requires more effort in comparison. Albeit, thinking about it, this is more of a pattern-based argument and not as good of one as I thought. I doubt we'll see Echoes cut(reboot aside) at this point. Others are another story.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth are you going to put a stop to all the dora talk you can threaten ban and such then no one would talk about it lol
Protip: Just don't reply to it or bring it up anymore.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm not sure I'd call "loud orange peach" an iconic character. I'm sure a lot of people have good memories with her, but to the layperson she is just that: loud orange peach. I mean, I'm not much higher above "layperson" and I was absolutely astonished that not only did she appear in Smash Bros., but people actually cared.
You... do know that she has a pretty big fanbase, right?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Villager and Inkling might be worth keeping.

Being new doesn't take away from the success of their franchises.
I would imagine sequels to the reboot would add several past characters. That list was what I think the base veteran roster may look like.

Why Wario instead of peach or Ganon?
Has his own series so I gave him priority. I didn’t mention but I think this could be a base veteran roster for the first reboot game.

How dare you leave out the Falcon
Someone’s gotta get cut.

Pretty much agree Except I would add Peach.
Peach was 50/50 to me. She could return in a reboot sequel was my line of thinking.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Genos more of a star person than an angel... honestly he might be a luma and the "higher authority" he serves might be rosalina by todays canon... he also can turn into an actual cannon so thats cool too.
@ nintendo, buy back the rights to geno and do that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
After churning out leaks, 4chan is beginning to slack. Only one leak that's eerily similar to another one (they changed some wording). We'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422528136/#422528136
Hello, friendly Smash Bros Ultimate leaker here. My source is a man inside NoA who got a chance to play on the demo copy, as well as listen to company speak.

He wanted to clarify that the demo roster is not yet complete so some characters are missing, as they haven't finished programming them yet

Newcomers:
>Ashley
>Tetra
>Lip
>Xenoblade rep (this one is just speak, and wasn't in the demo. At this point he's not sure if its from X or 2)

Echo Fighters:
>Zeke (for Ike)
>Impa (for Shiek)
>Igglybuff (for Jiggly)
>Donkey Kong Jr. (for DK)

Assist Trophies:
>Funky Kong
>Mona
>Sylux
>Clu Clu Land
>Falling Tetris blocks
>Mini Master Hand
>N (yes, from Pokemon. Apparently he throws out numerous pokeballs that open automatically)

Stages:
>Gamecube
>Excitebike Arena
>Ashley's Mansion
>Mor Ardain
>New Donk City
>Giant ROB

Event matches are back, bringing with them the return of Trophy Fights. The third Trophy Fight can also be unlocked as a stage. Break the Targets is back in its brawl form, and so is Board the Platforms. No Home Run Contest has been seen so far, but he assumes itll be in the final release.
There's also this, which is kinda interesting, but nothing much.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422554934/#422554934
Before release, the director of the Super Smash Bros. series Masahiro Sakurai will do a decision that will be rememered for a long time.

He will make a poll where Nintendo Switch users can vote for a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with the exception that it must be an assist trophy.

Waluigi, Ashley, Lyndis and K. Rool are finalists with other honorable mentions as Shadow and Gray Fox.

Discuss.

There's also this one, but I'm not counting it for a particular reason.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422518306/#422518306
- In order new characters are Inkling, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Travis Touchdown, Wild Zelda (see below), Dante, Ashley, Mimikyu, Dixie Kong, and Mach Rider. From what I've heard plan is for Mimikyu to be revealed in conjunction with Let's Go's release and for Dixie and Mach Rider to be surprise unlockables.

- As I understand it, Wild Zelda is the BotW version, sword-based like HW with the the champions' abilities as specials and with the Divine Beasts firing as her Final Smash.

- Medusa, Impa (OoT), Dark Samus, Metal Sonic, and Dry Bowser are Echo Fighters.

- Manaphy, Wobbuffet, and Onix are back as Pokeballs. New ones include Trevenant and Marshadow.

- Assist Trophies include Hariet, Takumi, Elise, and King K. Rool. Shadow is still an AT.

- Kamek, Viridi, Tetra, and Federation Force Mii skins are preorder bonuses. These ones are different in that they have the character's head outright replacing the Mii's, like the Black Knight helmet from SSB4, and come with the characters' voices.

- Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Road, Mushroom Kingdom 64, Mario Bros., and Big Battlefield are coming back.

- New stages include Ribbon Road, Thieves' Town, Cyrkensia Opera House, Manhole, Aqua Star, and Thrifty Megamart.

- Galleom, Duon, Tabuu, and Rayquaza return along with Boss Battles. There is no story and besides the four of them the fights consist of Master and Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, Master Core, and fights with the Yellow Devil and Metal Face.

- In the in-game store you can buy trophies, stages & alternate costumes. There aren't many of those but one of them is Meta Ridley, thus the reason he wasn't in the demo. Others include FE6 Roy, Dr. Luigi, Outset Toon Link, and N64 versions of Mario and Donkey Kong.

- There is no quick unlock option for characters.

- Ultimate is planned to have DLC but it could still go either way for the moment.

- Pay careful attention when you read through thist. I snuck in a hint at something crucial but you might not notice it right away.

The first letters of each sentence spell "I AM MAKING IT UP"
Obviously the last one is fake because IAMMAKINGITUP, but Trevenant as a Poké Ball Pokémon would be awesome.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Just came back from meeting Charles Martinet! He was awesome! Give me a moment and I'll tell you the answers to your questions!

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Peach was 50/50 to me. She could return in a reboot sequel was my line of thinking.
Like the reason i'm not saying villager is because in a reboot I could see Isabelle taking the Animal Crossing slot.
and similar situation with Marth.
Why Zelda over Peach? I'm curious. Better moveset potential?
Probably because series is named after her.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Related to the reboot idea, I had an idea before I joined Smashboards: What if Smash 64 had a longer dev time (enough to have a Melee-sized roster), and they knew it was a guaranteed hit (allowing 3rd parties)?
This is the roster I came up with (would post the Roster Maker image, but I'm incapable at the moment). The only caveats is that the Original 12 must be in it and the characters must be from the era.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultpit::ultmarth:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultsamus::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultness::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to pick a reboot roster I would pick

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultolimar::ultness::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultsamus::ultzelda::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowser:
> Ness and Wii Fit Trainer over Inklings, Donkey Kong, Fox, or Marth, with all of their series being eliminated outright

Why though?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
After churning out leaks, 4chan is beginning to slack. Only one leak that's eerily similar to another one (they changed some wording). We'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422528136/#422528136
Hello, friendly Smash Bros Ultimate leaker here. My source is a man inside NoA who got a chance to play on the demo copy, as well as listen to company speak.

He wanted to clarify that the demo roster is not yet complete so some characters are missing, as they haven't finished programming them yet

Newcomers:
>Ashley
>Tetra
>Lip
>Xenoblade rep (this one is just speak, and wasn't in the demo. At this point he's not sure if its from X or 2)

Echo Fighters:
>Zeke (for Ike)
>Impa (for Shiek)
>Igglybuff (for Jiggly)
>Donkey Kong Jr. (for DK)

Assist Trophies:
>Funky Kong
>Mona
>Sylux
>Clu Clu Land
>Falling Tetris blocks
>Mini Master Hand
>N (yes, from Pokemon. Apparently he throws out numerous pokeballs that open automatically)

Stages:
>Gamecube
>Excitebike Arena
>Ashley's Mansion
>Mor Ardain
>New Donk City
>Giant ROB

Event matches are back, bringing with them the return of Trophy Fights. The third Trophy Fight can also be unlocked as a stage. Break the Targets is back in its brawl form, and so is Board the Platforms. No Home Run Contest has been seen so far, but he assumes itll be in the final release.
There's also this, which is kinda interesting, but nothing much.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422554934/#422554934
Before release, the director of the Super Smash Bros. series Masahiro Sakurai will do a decision that will be rememered for a long time.

He will make a poll where Nintendo Switch users can vote for a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with the exception that it must be an assist trophy.

Waluigi, Ashley, Lyndis and K. Rool are finalists with other honorable mentions as Shadow and Gray Fox.

Discuss.

There's also this one, but I'm not counting it for a particular reason.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422518306/#422518306
- In order new characters are Inkling, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Travis Touchdown, Wild Zelda (see below), Dante, Ashley, Mimikyu, Dixie Kong, and Mach Rider. From what I've heard plan is for Mimikyu to be revealed in conjunction with Let's Go's release and for Dixie and Mach Rider to be surprise unlockables.

- As I understand it, Wild Zelda is the BotW version, sword-based like HW with the the champions' abilities as specials and with the Divine Beasts firing as her Final Smash.

- Medusa, Impa (OoT), Dark Samus, Metal Sonic, and Dry Bowser are Echo Fighters.

- Manaphy, Wobbuffet, and Onix are back as Pokeballs. New ones include Trevenant and Marshadow.

- Assist Trophies include Hariet, Takumi, Elise, and King K. Rool. Shadow is still an AT.

- Kamek, Viridi, Tetra, and Federation Force Mii skins are preorder bonuses. These ones are different in that they have the character's head outright replacing the Mii's, like the Black Knight helmet from SSB4, and come with the characters' voices.

- Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Road, Mushroom Kingdom 64, Mario Bros., and Big Battlefield are coming back.

- New stages include Ribbon Road, Thieves' Town, Cyrkensia Opera House, Manhole, Aqua Star, and Thrifty Megamart.

- Galleom, Duon, Tabuu, and Rayquaza return along with Boss Battles. There is no story and besides the four of them the fights consist of Master and Crazy Hand, Giga Bowser, Master Core, and fights with the Yellow Devil and Metal Face.

- In the in-game store you can buy trophies, stages & alternate costumes. There aren't many of those but one of them is Meta Ridley, thus the reason he wasn't in the demo. Others include FE6 Roy, Dr. Luigi, Outset Toon Link, and N64 versions of Mario and Donkey Kong.

- There is no quick unlock option for characters.

- Ultimate is planned to have DLC but it could still go either way for the moment.

- Pay careful attention when you read through thist. I snuck in a hint at something crucial but you might not notice it right away.

The first letters of each sentence spell "I AM MAKING IT UP"
"Waluigi, Ashley, Lyndis and K. Rool are finalists with other honorable mentions as Shadow and Gray Fox."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Skull Kid is revealed.
Your reaction if a champion is revealed.
Your reaction if Dark Samus is revealed.
Your reaction if Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed.
Your reaction if Decidueye is revealed.
Your reaction if Incineroar is revealed.
Your reaction if Mimikyu is revealed.
Your reaction if Celica is revealed.
Your reaction if Ashley is revealed.
Your reaction if Elma is Revealed.
Your reaction if Rex and Pyra is revealed.
Your reaction if Wonder Red is revealed.
Your reaction if Dillon is revealed.
Your reaction if Spring Man is revealed.
Your reaction if Simon is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom