• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
There's only one thing stronger than fan demand.

COLD.
HARD.
CASH.
But do we actually have a reason to believe that Steve in Smash would get Nintendo cold hard cash? It seems like free marketing for Microsoft that's very unlikely to bring a large number of new players to Smash.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Actually off the top of my head Little Mac was revealed on February 13th, 2014 during a Nintendo Direct, which commemorated the 30th anniversary of the Punch-Out!! series.

Little macs my main so i know this but im pretty sure it happened with other characters as well. anniversarys CAN mean something.
This is the only newcomer it happened with (and I only heard about it the other day). It's a really good way to dissapoint yourself if you look up every game anniversary of your most wanted and expect them to be announced that day. Sorry but just because it happened once...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3125...nintendo-collaborations-will-continue-and-the

"It is so strong because we've done many things together in the past. The Nintendo brand and their capacity to create fantastic games is really something that our creators in Ubisoft love, and when they can collaborate with Nintendo, they are extremely happy to do so. Yes it will continue, and I hope we will be able to surprise you with new things in the future."

-Ubisoft CEO on partnering with Nintendo.
I will be SHOCKED if we don't get an Ubisoft rep...like I feel like people forget they are the only company in a couple decades to be given permission to make a Mario game. A MARIO GAME! It's insane...

The only way I see it not happening is if Sakurai just doesn't care...which is possible. But that more surprises quote is a lil suspicious lol.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3125...nintendo-collaborations-will-continue-and-the

"It is so strong because we've done many things together in the past. The Nintendo brand and their capacity to create fantastic games is really something that our creators in Ubisoft love, and when they can collaborate with Nintendo, they are extremely happy to do so. Yes it will continue, and I hope we will be able to surprise you with new things in the future."

Rabbid Peach confirmed.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
But do we actually have a reason to believe that Steve in Smash would get Nintendo cold hard cash? It seems like free marketing for Microsoft that's very unlikely to bring a large number of new players to Smash.
Yes because that's been the case with almost all third party characters.

You know how much hype Sonic and Mega Man generated in their respective games?

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ridley's Special is a fireball, oh Mario already does that.
Ridley's Side Special is a command grab, Ganondorf already does that.
Ridley's Up Special is charging and then flying, Fox already does that.
Ridley's Down Special is Focus Attack, Ryu does that.
All of Ridley's standard moves can be done by Charizard.

Well, I guess Ridley is a bad newcomer.
I feel like if Ridley tried to use Charizard's forward Smash, he'd snap his own neck.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Minecraft is one of the best selling games of all times. Screaming 12 year olds are definitely not the only Minecraft fans out there.
Meanwhile, most people who grew up with Banjo are adults, and most if not all of them were going to buy Smash regardless of whether Banjo was in or not. Banjo has kinda faded into obscurity nowadays and I'm not sure I would know the series existed if it wasn't for the Smash community.
I'm aware it's not only screaming 12 year olds, but older Minecraft fans likely already have characters they care about in Smash. I'm not convinced the younger crowd who may not have grown up with Nintendo characters will be swayed by just Steve. I'd like to see a sales bump (or lack thereof) for other games that have had Steve as a guest star to know if Minecraft fans actually buy games outside their usual preferences just for him.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
For all we know, Sakurai saw a lot of potential in Steve, with all his Minecraft tools and blocks at his disposal.

My preference is for Banjo, but Minecraft is certainly more popular, bias aside

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Well this is a good sign that Rayman will return as a trophy. :troll:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait...did the separate IP addresses matter? Because I definitely made like 10+ votes all on the same computer XD.

They were for all different characters though. I think that's fair. Not like any if them got in lol (well Ridley did but I bet that would have happened regardless of the Ballot).
I voted for all sorts of characters that way, even Master Higgins (who never stood a chance anyway).

This is the only newcomer it happened with (and I only heard about it the other day). It's a really good way to dissapoint yourself if you look up every game anniversary of your most wanted and expect them to be announced that day. Sorry but just because it happened once...

I will be SHOCKED if we don't get an Ubisoft rep...like I feel like people forget they are the only company in a couple decades to be given permission to make a Mario game. A MARIO GAME! It's insane...

The only way I see it not happening is if Sakurai just doesn't care...which is possible. But that more surprises quote is a lil suspicious lol.
To think that Mario was once allowed to be used for throwaway educational games.

Zeox

Smash Champion
"Banjo and Kazooie.... as an assist trophies like bomberman, thanks for watching this nintendo direct, byes."

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
That basically deconfirms any sort of Smash announcement. Oh well.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was going to post the "Curb your Enthusiasm" theme. But I'll post this instead.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Lol that looks like a faked Twitter post it's so weird.
That basically deconfirms any sort of Smash announcement. Oh well.
Well from Rare at least. But I'm not expecting anything this soon anyway.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I ain't expecting anything new on Smash Ultimate until mid-July at the earliest.

D

Deleted member

Here's something neat that just happened, Konami retweeted a post supporting playable Bomberman for Super Smash Bros.
konamiretweetbombermanforsmash.jpg

It's neat to know that at least Konami will accept Bomberman's inclusion should an opportunity arise next game to do so.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The only way I can see Banjo & Kazooie making it into the game is if they scored well enough on the ballot. We have no way to know how well they did, not even a Mii Costume, so we can't know for sure.

Otherwise, if anything we're getting Steve as a Microsoft character because Minecraft is a cash cow, and how unique a terraforming moveset could be, AND how Microsoft is willing to play ball.
To be fair, as third parties that didn't have a parent company with their foot in the door it'd be very difficult for Banjo-Kazooie to get any sort of acknowledgement in Smash 4 like that. The only reason characters like Geno or Lloyd got it was because Square Enix and Namco were already on board and thus part of the negotiation process was already open for them.

Donkey Kong is the only franchise that I feel it definitely NEEDS more stuff that it already has; the series has so much to offer and has a very large story... it's weird a franchise like this its representation it's limited to...

- The Third
- Diddy
- Barrels
- The Hammer
- The Arcade Stage
- Some Jungle Stages

Where are the freaking Donkey Kong Assist Trophies!!!!?
I always found the lack of DK ATs pretty strange. It's not like the series is lacking characters to draw from for the role, as the Animal Buddies, some of the Kongs, and even certain enemy types from the Kremlings could've been feasible and fun additions, so there's no good reason to ignore them. It's even stranger considering the majority of franchises in Smash have their own ATs, even smaller franchises that have less characters to draw from, so DK being one of the few to not have one is pretty headscratching.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not when they welcome it with open arms

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Ubisoft becoming second-party for Nintendo confirmed?

Worse things could happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean the Rare stuff is fun but name one time a fighter got in solely because it was a special anniversary.
One.
A single one.
Anyone.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, as third parties that didn't have a parent company with their foot in the door it'd be very difficult for Banjo-Kazooie to get any sort of acknowledgement in Smash 4 like that. The only reason characters like Geno or Lloyd got it was because Square Enix and Namco were already on board and thus part of the negotiation process was already open for them.

I always found the lack of DK ATs pretty strange. It's not like the series is lacking characters to draw from for the role, as the Animal Buddies, some of the Kongs, and even certain enemy types from the Kremlings could've been feasible and fun additions, so there's no good reason to ignore them. It's even stranger considering the majority of franchises in Smash have their own ATs, even smaller franchises that have less characters to draw from, so DK being one of the few to not have one is pretty headscratching.
Yeah, but this makes me wonder about something: does Sakurai see fighter moveset potential in the majority of the main DK cast? It could explain why not even Dixie showed up as an assist trophy, as they could be withheld until he figures out something years later or gets encouraged enough by people. Although part of this is Nintendo not really knowing what to do with the DKC cast until Retro was involved.

At the very least, they could toss in Krusha laughing off weaker attacks with his chest for AT purposes.

Same. That and the god-like Sonic Mania Plus.
Incidentally, I'm planning on pre-ordering that.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Well, here is some gameplay from Mr. R vs. Larry Lurr with :ultsnake: & :ultdk:! What do you think?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Not when they welcome it with open arms
That's welcoming cross-play with open arms. Really not the same thing. Smash still is at its core about Nintendo history and Banjo matters a lot more to that than Minecraft does.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's welcoming cross-play with open arms. Really not the same thing. Smash still is at its core about Nintendo history and Banjo matters a lot more to that than Minecraft does.
:ultcloud: would like a word.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So besides the leak brought up previously, I found some more.

Two leaks say Banjo will have a newcomer reveal this afternoon.
Links:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422415325/#422415325
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422440959/#422440959

Other than that, it's the regular s***.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422424310/#422424310
>new characters include crash bandicoot, Ray-man, K rool, Dixie Kong, bandanna dee, Elma, and Dillion
>there will be a story mode but not as big as the subspace Emissary
>smash run will return and can now be played online
> the next direct will show the trailer for Dixie and K rool
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422422276/#422422276
> Smash Bros leaks for you :
> Characters yet to be revealed : Simon Belmont, Rayman, King K. Rool, Elma, Ashley, Chorus, Urbosa (Verg was right about the number of newcomers)
> Echo Fighters : Impa for Sheik, Dark Samus for Samus (Echoes are not much a thing as you thought)
> DLC : A bit to early to know all of them, but Genos and Rex/Pyra seem already confirmed. I'd also say Chrom but it's more a personnal feeling than something that have been confirmed by my sources
> No Waluigi. No Shadow. No Steve. Sorry, pals.
> New stages : A giant ROB, and Dracula's Castle
> About the solo mode, we'll get the Classic, All Star, Target, Events, etc. but also as story mode a bit inbetween Adventure Mode and SSE
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422399985/#422399985
Friendly Smash Bros leaker here. My source is an intern at NoA who got his hands on a demo copy. He doesn't know all the ins and outs but this is what he's seen from the gameplay so far

Newcomers
>King K Rool
>Tetra
>Rayman
>Ashley

Echos
>Black Shadow
>Zeke (of Ike)

He says the roster still has some room to grow so this isnt everyone

Assist Trophies
>Funky Kong
>Clu Clu Land
>Panel de Pon
>9 Volt and 18 Volt
>Mini Master Hand

Stages
>Gamecube
>New Donk City
>Mor Ardain
>Bowser's Castle
>Excitebike Arena

Event Matches are back, and with them are Trophy Battles. The final Trophy Battle can also be unlocked as a strage. Break the Targets is back in its brawl form (different levels for difficulty) as is Home Run. Interestingly, Board the Platforms also returns in a way similar to Target Smash

Single player is currently just Classic mode, but he says it isnt finished yet
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422397973/#422397973
As I'm sure you are aware, the full roster for Smash Ultimate (pre-DLC) is floating around among certain members of the community. I'm just shocked no one has actually leaked it. Obviously I can't give more details as to protect my source, but here it is:

Newcomers
>Inkling
>Ridley
>K. Rool
>Ashley
>Decidueye
>Chorus Kids
>Excitebike
>Banjo-Kazooie

Echo Fighters
>Daisy
>Isabelle
>Dark Samus
>Shadow
>Dixie Kong

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
:ultcloud: would like a word.
But Arigarmy, Cloud is a part of Nintendo history.

He's emblematic of when Square shed the shackles Nintendo Censorship Oppression, so they could have a red light district, cross-dressing and an implied sex scene.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So besides the leak brought up previously, I found some more.

Two leaks say Banjo will have a newcomer reveal this afternoon.
Links:https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422415325/#422415325
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422440959/#422440959

Other than that, it's the regular s***.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422424310/#422424310
>new characters include crash bandicoot, Ray-man, K rool, Dixie Kong, bandanna dee, Elma, and Dillion
>there will be a story mode but not as big as the subspace Emissary
>smash run will return and can now be played online
> the next direct will show the trailer for Dixie and K rool
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422422276/#422422276
> Smash Bros leaks for you :
> Characters yet to be revealed : Simon Belmont, Rayman, King K. Rool, Elma, Ashley, Chorus, Urbosa (Verg was right about the number of newcomers)
> Echo Fighters : Impa for Sheik, Dark Samus for Samus (Echoes are not much a thing as you thought)
> DLC : A bit to early to know all of them, but Genos and Rex/Pyra seem already confirmed. I'd also say Chrom but it's more a personnal feeling than something that have been confirmed by my sources
> No Waluigi. No Shadow. No Steve. Sorry, pals.
> New stages : A giant ROB, and Dracula's Castle
> About the solo mode, we'll get the Classic, All Star, Target, Events, etc. but also as story mode a bit inbetween Adventure Mode and SSE
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422399985/#422399985
Friendly Smash Bros leaker here. My source is an intern at NoA who got his hands on a demo copy. He doesn't know all the ins and outs but this is what he's seen from the gameplay so far

Newcomers
>King K Rool
>Tetra
>Rayman
>Ashley

Echos
>Black Shadow
>Zeke (of Ike)

He says the roster still has some room to grow so this isnt everyone

Assist Trophies
>Funky Kong
>Clu Clu Land
>Panel de Pon
>9 Volt and 18 Volt
>Mini Master Hand

Stages
>Gamecube
>New Donk City
>Mor Ardain
>Bowser's Castle
>Excitebike Arena

Event Matches are back, and with them are Trophy Battles. The final Trophy Battle can also be unlocked as a strage. Break the Targets is back in its brawl form (different levels for difficulty) as is Home Run. Interestingly, Board the Platforms also returns in a way similar to Target Smash

Single player is currently just Classic mode, but he says it isnt finished yet
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422397973/#422397973
As I'm sure you are aware, the full roster for Smash Ultimate (pre-DLC) is floating around among certain members of the community. I'm just shocked no one has actually leaked it. Obviously I can't give more details as to protect my source, but here it is:

Newcomers
>Inkling
>Ridley
>K. Rool
>Ashley
>Decidueye
>Chorus Kids
>Excitebike
>Banjo-Kazooie

Echo Fighters
>Daisy
>Isabelle
>Dark Samus
>Shadow
>Dixie Kong

hey just wanted to give you props, i see you leak hunting a LOT and I thank you for it!

Although of course 99.9999% of them are fake we wont know the real ones if we dont looks at all the leaks so seriously thank you for doing the research and bringing us these all the time!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I would really love to see a gallery mode which contains a lot of artwork and past character reveal trailers from the past Smash games into Ultimate.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm aware it's not only screaming 12 year olds, but older Minecraft fans likely already have characters they care about in Smash. I'm not convinced the younger crowd who may not have grown up with Nintendo characters will be swayed by just Steve. I'd like to see a sales bump (or lack thereof) for other games that have had Steve as a guest star to know if Minecraft fans actually buy games outside their usual preferences just for him.
i dont think this is how the younger audience sees the game at all. to younger people and casual smash fans smash sells itself. characters being included or not is much bigger to the bigger videogame fans. but when a new smash game is announced and released its one of the few games that auto generate massive sales even when marekwting from nintendo has been spotty in the past. no smash game has ever pushed one characters inclusion in the base roster as a selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom