• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They were in the game. A YouTuber by the name GameXPlain showed off all alt costumes in the demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mt53edFk4Q&list=PLZLCn6eOKOyFB9cmZmGfc9H1EReOvQ1UI&index=28
>GameXplain
>“A” Youtuber

Idk I just thought that sounded funny.
"Who is this '4Chan' person?"

:p
:ultlink: Either his intro or one of his victory screens should've shown him peeling in with the Master Cycle Zero.
I still can't believe Mario Kart 8 is canon to the Zelda timeline.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know, it makes sense as a taunt. Sort of. You know, as an intimidation tactic.
Pit: "He doesn't look that big!"
Ridley: *stands up straight*
Pit: "Hoo, boy!"
Then Ridley kills Dark Pit while the rest of the KI crew wait for Samus to help them

MainJPW

M.T.A
Now I don't want Goku in Smash Bros, but I do want Akira Toriyama's art in it.
Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest specifically.
That would be amazing. Imagine Crono getting a trophy. And a Slime trophy for Quest.

Toriyama's art is uh...something. GOOD I mean.

Have you seen Tobal No. 1? Vintage Toriyama.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I don't know why so many people are so confidant about K. Rool. Mind you, I'd LOVE it! But when things sound too good to be true... they usually are. We already got everyone back, got the most requested 1st Party newcomer (Stinklings) and got a fan favorite that people have been begging for since Melee (Daisy-jk Ridley). Putting in K. Rool would pretty much mean they've put every character I've ever wanted, with the exception of Banjo. It's just not gonna happen.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Why hasn't Nintendo just replaced Mario Kart with a Nintendo Kart by now? Everyone is wanting Falcon, Link, and Kirby in with their car, motorcycle, and star. That puts us like halfway there already.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I thought I would point out that their are a few characters that appear as an assist trophy/Pokeball summon, and also appear in a stage.

This includes
Knuckles - Green Hill Zone
Electrode - Saffron City
Palkia - (Presuming he still shows up on Spear Pillar)
Tingle (If his assist trophy returns)

I believe this is a first for the series.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Yeah it will.
Nuh uhhhhhh! ;) Dude if it did, I would be so happy. I just don't think it will. :'(

Back to the leak:
Dovakhiin is so stupid/weird that I could almost see it happening. But I think Sakurai is better than that lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's something different, I found my old "grand list of everyone I think could make it" (back on page 1162) and am going to put the ones that made it in Green, the ones that haven't been shot down in yellow and the ones that sadly lost in red. (Less than I thought, strangely enough)

* Captain Toad
* Daisy
* Waluigi
* Pauline
* Paper Mario
* Dixie Kong
* King K. Rool
* Scrooge McCranky Kong
* Mona
* Ashley
* Yarn Yoshi
* Bandana Dee
* Gooey

* Ridley
* Dark Samus
* Sylux

* Wolf
* Krystal
* Eevee
* Gardevoir
* Mimikyu
* Lycanroc
* Decidyeye

* Ice Climbers
* Lyn
* Isabelle
* Dillon
* Spring Man
* Ribbon Girl
* Lola Pop
* Dr Coyle
* Elma
* Rex and/or Pyra

* Snake
* Raiden
* Simon Belmont

* Bomberman
* Tails
* Knuckles
* Shadow
* Amy

* Proto Man
* Zero
* Roll
* Dig Dug

* Ryu
* Ken
* Chun-li
* Ray Man
* Shovel Knight
* Shantae
* Crash Bandicoot
* Spyro
With the Advent of Echos, I'd like to add
  • Funky Kong
  • Dry Bowser
  • Ninten
  • Hilda
  • Zack
  • Naked Snake
  • Trevor Belmont
Anyone else wanna find their old lists?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh boy 2006, I can smell the Wii would like to Play commercials from a mile away.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here's something different, I found my old "grand list of everyone I think could make it" (back on page 1162) and am going to put the ones that made it in Green, the ones that haven't been shot down in yellow and the ones that sadly lost in red. (Less than I thought, strangely enough)

With the Advent of Echos, I'd like to add
  • Funky Kong
  • Dry Bowser
  • Ninten
  • Hilda
  • Zack
  • Naked Snake
  • Trevor Belmont
Anyone else wanna find their old lists?
Tails was shot down? Is that because of Green Hill?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't know why so many people are so confidant about K. Rool. Mind you, I'd LOVE it! But when things sound too good to be true... they usually are. We already got everyone back, got the most requested 1st Party newcomer (Stinklings) and got a fan favorite that people have been begging for since Melee (Daisy-jk Ridley). Putting in K. Rool would pretty much mean they've put every character I've ever wanted, with the exception of Banjo. It's just not gonna happen.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm by no means saying that K. Rool is a shoe-in, considering I've been saying that during the Smash 4 speculation cycle and was crushed when he didn't make it in. However, there is reason to believe he has a fighting chance this time around:
  • The roster was decided December 2015, which hints that the ballot will have much bigger effect on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using it as a shopping list for newcomers honestly.
  • K. Rool scored high enough on the ballot for Sakurai to acknowledge his popularity by adding a Mii Costume.
  • Said Mii Costume uses custom-made textures based on his appearance in the Rare games. Unlike other characters like Ashley, Tails. or Takamaru, textures from K. Rool's trophy weren't even used. Pretty suspect, if you ask me.
  • It's painfully obvious this game is about fan requests first and foremost. Ridley, the echo fighter brand, Daisy, bringing back every fighter and (mostly) stage, even the title "Ultimate" implies this will be the "ultimate" Super Smash Bros. experience. If K. Rool did well enough on the ballot, it's easy to believe he would be included to appeal to his supporters.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pfft, yeah right.
:ultpalutena:>:ultridley:
Simple mathematics.
By that logic Palutena would be better than nearly eveyone in Smash 4 other than Bayonetta (and somewhat Pit if you’re heartless enough to kill her in Uprising). Besides, Pit will be too busy dealing with Bayo

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like the demand for a new DK character is too great to ignore this time around. Not to mention the series has had quite the resurgence over the years, with some fan favorite characters coming back. Now is a good time to expand the number of DK characters.

Sakurai felt the need to include ZSS, because he felt the Metroid series should have more characters. I can only hope he feels the same way about DK this time, because this seriously isn't enough character representation for one of their most famous video game franchises that has been in the Smash Bros. series since the original.
IMG_1682.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
2006... brawl speculation begins.
Oh, those were the days. My expectations were much simpler back then. Still not sure that anything can top the King Dedede reveal for me.

I feel like the demand for a new DK character is too great to ignore this time around. Not to mention the series has had quite the resurgence over the years, with some fan favorite characters coming back. Now is a good time to expand the number of DK characters.

Sakurai felt the need to include ZSS, because he felt the Metroid series should have more characters. I can only hope he feels the same way about DK, because this seriously isn't enough character representation for one of their most famous video game franchises.View attachment 150746
A-yup. At the very least, Dixie, Rool and the DK Crew should be in, anyone else would be gravy.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

Sakurai felt the need to include ZSS, because he felt the Metroid series should have more characters. I can only hope he feels the same way about DK this time, because this seriously isn't enough character representation for one of their most famous video game franchises that has been in the Smash Bros. series since the original.View attachment 150746
The only franchise I'm hoping gets multiple characters this time around. DK series is the father of Mario, the grandfather of Yoshi and the Mario spinoffs, father of Diddy Kong Racing and therefore grandfather of Conker and Banjo. It's one of Nintendo's most successful and best known IPs. It's been in Smash from the beginning. It doesn't have the Metroid lack of characters problem. And somehow it still only has 2 reps...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Oh, those were the days. My expectations were much simpler back then. Still not sure that anything can top the King Dedede reveal for me.

A-yup. At the very least, Dixie, Rool and the DK Crew should be in, anyone else would be gravy.
Really? I feel like everyone's expectations for Brawl were insane. So many 50+ rosters.

Looking back we got so much in that game. Almost doubled roster size and tons of modes including a huge story mode. I just feel like everyone ****s on Brawl because of the competitive scene but I don't compete or follow so I never cared.

Anyway to make this related I'm convinced we are getting an adventure mode. My hopeful but contained expectation is something like the great maze with branching path options that lead to stages where you unlock new fighters. Maybe we'll get a cutscene introducing each fighter, but nothing too big since newcomer reveal trailers seem to be back.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
How have you guys been feeling about Banjo -Kazooie lately, especially in light of today being the 20th anniversary of their series?

D

Deleted member

How have you guys been feeling about Banjo -Kazooie lately, especially in light of today being the 20th anniversary of their series?
I don't think their anniversary means much. Delzethin Delzethin sums it up pretty well
I wouldn't put much stock in newcomers getting revealed for Smash on important anniversaries for their home series.

We've never actually seen that happen for a newcomer before, yet people keep expecting it for some reason.

If you're going to look for patterns to make sense of things, make sure there's actual precedent for it, or you'll just end up disappointing yourself.
Aside from that, even with Microsoft and Nintendo's improved relationship, I don't really see Banjo getting in over Steve.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
One of my top three most wanted characters (little mac/geno/banjo) I voted once for geno and once for banjo kazooie from separate computers (different ip address) so thats one of my ballot picks.

I think if they were in the game they'd have been shown at E3 however. I am somewhat hopeful after that minecraft cross play commercial that microsoft and nintendo may have some deals in the works and possibly this happened late in smash development and so while banjo kazooie are not in the game right now, they might have a much better chance at being this games DLC's equivalent to"Cloud".

Troykv

Smash Master

Sakurai felt the need to include ZSS, because he felt the Metroid series should have more characters. I can only hope he feels the same way about DK this time, because this seriously isn't enough character representation for one of their most famous video game franchises that has been in the Smash Bros. series since the original.View attachment 150746
Donkey Kong is the only franchise that I feel it definitely NEEDS more stuff that it already has; the series has so much to offer and has a very large story... it's weird a franchise like this its representation it's limited to...

- The Third
- Diddy
- Barrels
- The Hammer
- The Arcade Stage
- Some Jungle Stages

Where are the freaking Donkey Kong Assist Trophies!!!!?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Nintendo and Microsoft's recent love affair happened too late for Banjo to be seriously considered back in December 2015. If Microsoft really do have any kind of content in the game, like a Minecraft stage or AT as has been brought up before, they'll be prime contenders for DLC though, they'd sell incredibly well and create an enormous amount of buzz.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
One of my top three most wanted characters (little mac/geno/banjo) I voted once for geno and once for banjo kazooie from separate computers (different ip address) so thats one of my ballot picks.

I think if they were in the game they'd have been shown at E3 however. I am somewhat hopeful after that minecraft cross play commercial that microsoft and nintendo may have some deals in the works and possibly this happened late in smash development and so while banjo kazooie are not in the game right now, they might have a much better chance at being this games DLC's equivalent to"Cloud".
Wait...did the separate IP addresses matter? Because I definitely made like 10+ votes all on the same computer XD.

They were for all different characters though. I think that's fair. Not like any if them got in lol (well Ridley did but I bet that would have happened regardless of the Ballot).

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I wouldn't put much stock in newcomers getting revealed for Smash on important anniversaries for their home series.

We've never actually seen that happen for a newcomer before, yet people keep expecting it for some reason.

If you're going to look for patterns to make sense of things, make sure there's actual precedent for it, or you'll just end up disappointing yourself.

Actually off the top of my head Little Mac was revealed on February 13th, 2014 during a Nintendo Direct, which commemorated the 30th anniversary of the Punch-Out!! series.

Little macs my main so i know this but im pretty sure it happened with other characters as well. anniversarys CAN mean something.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Wait...did the separate IP addresses matter? Because I definitely made like 10+ votes all on the same computer XD.

They were for all different characters though. I think that's fair. Not like any if them got in lol (well Ridley did but I bet that would have happened regardless of the Ballot).
I dont think anybody knows for sure but i THOUGHT i read a "one vote per person" thing somewhere with the ballot and just decided to play it safe instead of having a vote tossed so i did one vote each on different ip addresses for my two most wanted yet to be playable characters. i dont think anyone knows for sure how the votes were counted.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Would Steve really be the one Nintendo would go for if they went to Microsoft for someone? I know Minecraft is huge, but I don't see it's fans trying out Smash just for Steve. Smash just doesn't give with the YouTube era kids that Minecraft appeals to. Meanwhile, Banjo fanbase seems like exactly the kind that will buy a game for his guest appearance.

Edit: quick Google search shows Steve has been a guest in games before. Super Meat Boy is one example. Did he drive a bunch of people who would previously never give an ultra-hard platformer a chance to buy it? Seems unlikely.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The only way I can see Banjo & Kazooie making it into the game is if they scored well enough on the ballot. We have no way to know how well they did, not even a Mii Costume, so we can't know for sure.

Otherwise, if anything we're getting Steve as a Microsoft character because Minecraft is a cash cow, and how unique a terraforming moveset could be, AND how Microsoft is willing to play ball.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3125...nintendo-collaborations-will-continue-and-the

"It is so strong because we've done many things together in the past. The Nintendo brand and their capacity to create fantastic games is really something that our creators in Ubisoft love, and when they can collaborate with Nintendo, they are extremely happy to do so. Yes it will continue, and I hope we will be able to surprise you with new things in the future."

-Ubisoft CEO on partnering with Nintendo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
While I understand why you would say that, i’d rather Steve didn’t get into Smash. That’s just my opinion, though.
I don't recall people rallying for Corrin but look who showed up anyway. :reverse: Steve isn't wanted but he's got a shot at it anyway.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's only one thing stronger than fan demand.

COLD.
HARD.
CASH.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, I'd like to see this song (specifically, this variant) appear on Shadow Moses Island.
Incidentally, the title also sums up Smash Ultimate. :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would Steve really be the one Nintendo would go for if they went to Microsoft for someone? I know Minecraft is huge, but I don't see it's fans trying out Smash just for Steve. Smash just doesn't give with the YouTube era kids that Minecraft appeals to. Meanwhile, Banjo fanbase seems like exactly the kind that will buy a game for his guest appearance.
Minecraft is one of the best selling games of all times. Screaming 12 year olds are definitely not the only Minecraft fans out there.
Meanwhile, most people who grew up with Banjo are adults, and most if not all of them were going to buy Smash regardless of whether Banjo was in or not. Banjo has kinda faded into obscurity nowadays and I'm not sure I would know the series existed if it wasn't for the Smash community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom