• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Since Smash is adding everyone from the Mario games except Waluigi and Toad, why not add Baby Mario & Baby Luigi team from Mario & Luigi Partners in Time? This way, Yoshi would finally have a 2nd rep.
I like the way you think.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
This game is about pleasing fans though, if we can have Ganondorf using his OoT design then we can have a paper mario that's a callback to his older titles.
OK see, here's the problem with that.

The whole "this game is about the fans!" thing has little to do with it. Sakurai is an absolute genius at making movesets. We've seen time and time again where he can making nothing into something (examples include :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss: and evidently :ultridley:). No matter what direction the moveset takes, it's still Sakurai, and he WILL make it work.

The problem is which moveset idea is the most logical decision. The core goal of Smash is to accurately represent Nintendo's franchises in a fighting game. Now, this also means that if franchises change, then said changes would be made to Smash, in order to accurately represent them. This happened during Smash 4, where many of the veterans got chances, both in aesthetics and gameplay, to reflect their newer titles (examples include:4pit::4olimar::4bowser::4yoshi:), and heck it's even happening again in Ultimate (:ultmario::ultlink::ultwolf:). Paper Mario has yet to be included in Smash, and as it moved along, the Paper Mario series has changed drastically, going through two (arguably three) different incarnations of itself. If Paper Mario is to be added to Ultimate, it only makes sense for Sakurai to base him off the current incarnation simply because the series has changed so much in the past 5-6 years. Not to say that the older games aren't relevant enough to be represented (the S.S. Flavion and the Whale from Paper Mario can be seen on the Paper Mario stage, not to mention the abundance of trophies in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U), but these are such big changes that it's impossible to overlook.

It makes more sense for Sakurai to use the most recent incarnation of the Paper Mario series as a base.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
OK see, here's the problem with that.

The whole "this game is about the fans!" thing has little to do with it. Sakurai is an absolute genius at making movesets. We've seen time and time again where he can making nothing into something (examples include :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultwiifittrainer::ultzss: and evidently :ultridley:). No matter what direction the moveset takes, it's still Sakurai, and he WILL make it work.

The problem is which moveset idea is the most logical decision. The core goal of Smash is to accurately represent Nintendo's franchises in a fighting game. Now, this also means that if franchises change, then said changes would be made to Smash, in order to accurately represent them. This happened during Smash 4, where many of the veterans got chances, both in aesthetics and gameplay, to reflect their newer titles (examples include:4pit::4olimar::4bowser::4yoshi:), and heck it's even happening again in Ultimate (:ultmario::ultlink::ultwolf:). Paper Mario has yet to be included in Smash, and as it moved along, the Paper Mario series has changed drastically, going through two (arguably three) different incarnations of itself. If Paper Mario is to be added to Ultimate, it only makes sense for Sakurai to base him off the current incarnation simply because the series has changed so much in the past 5-6 years. Not to say that the older games aren't relevant (the S.S. Flavion and the Whale from Paper Mario can be seen on the Paper Mario stage), but these are such big changes that it's impossible to overlook.

It makes more sense for Sakurai to use the most recent incarnation of the Paper Mario series as a base.
I disagree about :ultgnw::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultridley: having movesets from "nothing" as all four had a lot of source material to go off of, but other than that I think this is a good point. I think Paper Mario fans should expect a Sticker Star/Color Splash moveset with a few nods to the earlier titles (maybe Goombella comes out for a taunt or something).

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I disagree about :ultgnw::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultridley: having movesets from "nothing" as all four had a lot of source material to go off of, but other than that I think this is a good point. I think Paper Mario fans should expect a Sticker Star/Color Splash moveset with a few nods to the earlier titles (maybe Goombella comes out for a taunt or something).
You could argue that part of what the current playable Ridley is based on came from Sakurai's inclusion of Ridley in Brawl which was a lot of his own creation. It's defintely not as much as the other examples though.

As for the other three you mention, I think it's less about the source of their attacks, but more like the implementation of those characters. Who would have thought any of those would be playable fighter movesets, I mean I still think Wii Fit using stretches and yoga poses for attacks is genius and is my favorite part of her character design lol.

Edit: Also swap Marth for Rosalina. Marth actually has a lot of his animations pulled from the little source material he had, which I think is a different genius of Sakurai. Rosalina on the other hand completely made up.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So everyday on Facebook when the ultimate blog posts, the top voted comment always pertains to as why Waluigi is not playable.

And it cracks me up every time.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Gotta keep in mind that both :ultridley::ultvillager: were actively detested by Sakurai for having no potential and/or not fitting in a fighting game
Also why I didn't address :ultzelda: as a possible counterargument, as Sakurai stated that Zelda's incarnation in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was "more into research than fighting". That and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds was also fairly recent.

KMDP

Smash Legend
:ultmarth: also pulls a lot from his games.

Enchess

Smash Lord
You could argue that part of what the current playable Ridley is based on came from Sakurai's inclusion of Ridley in Brawl which was a lot of his own creation. It's defintely not as much as the other examples though.

As for the other three you mention, I think it's less about the source of their attacks, but more like the implementation of those characters. Who would have thought any of those would be playable fighter movesets, I mean I still think Wii Fit using stretches and yoga poses for attacks is genius and is my favorite part of her character design lol.
Ridley had a lot of boss battles to pull from. The fireballs are a staple. He has his pogo-tail (which is somehow omitted). The quick tail stab that's his big move isn't too far off what's in his Metroid battles. Generic claw swipes, biting, and tail swipes have all been seen before outside Smash. Meta Ridley has bombs and stuff that wouldn't be too outlandish to see Ridley use (even if he doesn't use tech tools when not Meta, it's cannon that he has access to the technology). But yeah, overall the Ridley we got does feel based at least somewhat on Brawl.

I was a Tom Nook supporter before Villager got in and expected him to use the axe, shovel, and net for moves similarly to what Village ended up doing. I used to get into arguments with my friends over his moveset potential and felt super vindicated when villager got in haha. I also wanted "house upgrade" to be a smash where he would materialize a house that would be bigger based on charge time and launch enemies upward. I also pictured him throwing bells at people. I think other people on here had those ideas for him before he was revealed too.

Gotta keep in mind that both :ultridley::ultvillager: were actively detested by Sakurai for having no potential and/or not fitting in a fighting game
I'd argue that Sakurai was being a bit close minded at the time he made those comments and they both always had moveset potential without him needing to make anything "from nothing". Ultimately both ended up drawing from their games with only a few moves that can't be taken directly or inferred from their in game appearance.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We're in the year 2005. The DS has been released in Europe, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was released in North America.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My birthday page, oh yeah

Question: What new or returning Assist Trophies do you think we'll get?
I think Duster from Mother 3 is a safe bet, and I’d really like him.

Earthbound has Ness playable with Paula and Poo in his Final Smash, and Jeff, the tool-using party member, as an assist.

Mother 3 has Lucas playable with Kumatora and Boney in his Final Smash, with Duster, the tool-using party member, nowhere to be seen.

If Duster is an assist, that would mean all main party members from Earthbound and Mother 3 have some role on the battlefield. It’d be weird to have him be the only one missing.

As for what he’d do, I see him throwing his wall staples to pin down enemies.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So obviously in All-Star Mode you're gonna battle opponnets in the order of which they debuted in the series.

Question is how will it be executed?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Decided to take a shot at this. Challenged myself to give each character at least four characters of the currently confirmed roster. But naturally it is impossible to balance it all. And there may be some shaky reasons of why some characters are chosen because I did kind of have to do a process of elimination type thing for some of these.

Mario - Peach, Bowser, Sonic, Mr. Game and Watch, Wario (5)

- Mario faces fellow series reps, Console rival, and the first main character of a series of Nintendo games, plus Mario and Wario's rivalry

Donkey Kong - Diddy Kong, Pac-Man, Little Mac, Ike (4)

- DK faces partner, Fellow arcade character Pac-Man, Little Mac because of fights in Punch Out, and Ike... for Heavyweights I guess? Idk probably first of the process of elimination type stuff

Link - Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, Cloud, Young Link (5)

- All those Zelda reps, plus the whole Ocarina of Time Vs. FF7 Debate

Samus - Snake, Mega Man, Ridley, Pit (4)

- Bounty on Snake as I mentioned before, Arm cannon fight with Mega Man, Ridley is a duh, and Kid Icarus was a Metroid-like game

Yoshi - Olimar, Bowser Jr., Corrin, Shulk (4)

- Olimar thinks Yoshi is a threat to his pikmin? Bowser Jr. kinda mistaken for Baby Bowser for Yoshi's Island memories? Corrin's dragon form? Yoshi being a natural creature on the Bionis for Shulk? Was kinda hard here

Kirby - Meta Knight, King Dedede, Ice Climbers, Palutena (4)

- Kirby reps, plus Ice Kirby being very similar to when he inhales the Ice Climbers, and Palutena for Sakurai fun idk

Fox - Falco, ROB, Wolf, Duck Hunt (4)

- Series reps, ROB for the ROB64 partner they have on the Great Fox, and fellow Canine with aiming properties

Pikachu - Pichu, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Robin (4-6)

- Series reps, and battle of Electric using characters

Luigi - Daisy, Dr. Mario, Bayonetta, Dark Pit, Rosalina (5)

- More series reps particularly Daisy being seen as Luigi's girlfriend, An unlockable Mario for the sibling rivalry, Bayonetta and Dark Pit I guess being scary characters in Luigi mind that he comes across at Luigi's Mansion

Ness - Lucas, Toon Link, Villager, Inklings (4)

- Young characters, that's about it

Captain Falcon - Ryu, Lucina, Roy, Marth, Zero Suit Samus (5)

- Bounty on Ryu, Lucina in relation to the Smash 4 trailer, but I guess Marth and Roy come to the rescue instead of Robin this time? And battle between bounty hunters And probably a crackship for many Smash fans over the years

Jigglypuff - Lucario, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters (4-6)

- Jigglypuff dreams of having her singing on the stages. Though she comes across a wild Lucario and Greninja, then goes to a Gym where the Trainer is, and finally the Miis representing the crowd that Jigglypuff takes the stage for and made to go to sleep after the performance (And probably drawing on their faces too)
D'oh, I just realized I forgot Wario and Zero Suit Samus in the post from last night so er... I'll put in an edit of it in the quote here

EDIT: And Rosalina...

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

Nintendo:
I'm actually going to predict a Fatal Frame trophy. It's the perfect property for it. They co-own the rights, it had a release the year before Smash proposal was submitted, Tecmo Koei has said this year the franchise isn't dead, and it actually got acknowledged in the form of two trophies in Sm4sh. It'll be either Yuri taking a Fatal Frame (it'd be cool if it damaged everyone in the middle of an attack animation at time of photo) or Kusabi.

I also think Isa Jo is in doing Saki's old thing because I really feel Saki got put in roster plan as an 'if time allows' character.

Third Party:
I can see an Octopath Traveler one being thrown in since they are already working with Square for Cloud. If we were to get one, I'd hope for Primrose doing Night Ode or Lion Dance, but we'd probably end up with Olberic instead.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ridley had a lot of boss battles to pull from. The fireballs are a staple. He has his pogo-tail (which is somehow omitted). The quick tail stab that's his big move isn't too far off what's in his Metroid battles. Generic claw swipes, biting, and tail swipes have all been seen before outside Smash. Meta Ridley has bombs and stuff that wouldn't be too outlandish to see Ridley use (even if he doesn't use tech tools when not Meta, it's cannon that he has access to the technology). But yeah, overall the Ridley we got does feel based at least somewhat on Brawl.

I was a Tom Nook supporter before Villager got in and expected him to use the axe, shovel, and net for moves similarly to what Village ended up doing. I used to get into arguments with my friends over his moveset potential and felt super vindicated when villager got in haha. I also wanted "house upgrade" to be a smash where he would materialize a house that would be bigger based on charge time and launch enemies upward. I also pictured him throwing bells at people. I think other people on here had those ideas for him before he was revealed too.
See that's the thing, most speculated an Animal Crossing character would use tools for most of their attacks but the truth is they don't (slingshot argubly gets the most moves which makes sense as it actually is a weapon lol). Instead Sakurai found a way to inspire Villager's moveset with various elements of Animal Crossing. It's a really neat moveset when you think about it.

Also yea let's talk about that, Sakurai where is Ridley's pogo tail?! What kind of lame down air is that one he has?! Literally could be a simialr move but with his tail, maybe give it a spike sweet spot or something. Sakurai how could you miss that?!

Enchess

Smash Lord
See that's the thing, most speculated an Animal Crossing character would use tools for most of their attacks but the truth is they don't (slingshot argubly gets the most moves which makes sense as it actually is a weapon lol). Instead Sakurai found a way to inspire Villager's moveset with various elements of Animal Crossing. It's a really neat moveset when you think about it.

Also yea let's talk about that, Sakurai where is Ridley's pogo tail?! What kind of lame down air is that one he has?! Literally could be a simialr move but with his tail, maybe give it a spike sweet spot or something. Sakurai how could you miss that?!
Sakurai is so weird sometimes. He's manage all these obscure references for some characters (see Marth's moveset that is NOT simply made up as KMDP pointed out), but then on others it's like he watched a couple of YouTube videos of them in their games and then made the moveset a few days late when he only remembered the general idea of them (see Ridley).

EDIT: And where is the Baby Metroid taunt or victory pose? I'd argue it's even more obvious than pogo tail.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Sakurai is so weird sometimes. He's manage all these obscure references for some characters (see Marth's moveset that is NOT simply made up as KMDP pointed out), but then on others it's like he watched a couple of YouTube videos of them in their games and then made the moveset a few days late when he only remembered the general idea of them (see Ridley).
Don't get me wrong though, a lottttt of love was put into Ridley's moveset (his height being set to his height compared to Samus in the NES game, the fire ball weak spot, etc.) and I absolutely love the majority of it. Missing pogo tail, kinda lame up special (although I've heard it feels good), and the fact he only has three jumps (seriously Sakurai went from he can't be playable because he needs to fly to giving him only one extra jump?!) are unfortunate but defintely don't ruin him.

Tldr; I am soooooo glad to have Ridley and can't wait to play him finally.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong though, a lottttt of love was put into Ridley's moveset (his height being set to his height compared to Samus in the NES game, the fire ball weak spot, etc.) and I absolutely love the majority of it. Missing pogo tail, kinda lame up special (although I've heard it feels good), and the fact he only has three jumps (seriously Sakurai went from he can't be playable because he needs to fly to giving him only one extra jump?!) are unfortunate but defintely don't ruin him.

Tldr; I am soooooo glad to have Ridley and can't wait to play him finally.
Agreed. I just think it's weird how the details he missed where the obvious ones while he got some of the subtler ones.

I'm also deeply ashamed to say that despite my general anti-DLC stance on games I'd pay to replace his stand-up-straight taunt with Baby Metroid. Just...what is that? The only explanation is a "get it? cuz of the too big memes?" taunt

Troykv

Smash Master
I wonder if Sakurai avoid using the pogo tail because it would create a very janky hitboxes and hurtboxes.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I think with the Ballot, a lot of popular characters that didn't quite make the cut are going to end up as Assist Trophies. I think Krystal and Knuckles being Assist Trophies are the best example of this.

If they don't make it as playable, I could see Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Elma, Wonder Red, and Bandanna Dee all becoming Assist Trophies. Like a nod to their popularity, despite them not becoming playable.

Troykv

Smash Master

I'm mostly expecting some popular (and in the case of Sukapon, previously considered) characters and elements wanted in Smash that weren't capable of be playable in the base roster.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Agreed. I just think it's weird how the details he missed where the obvious ones while he got some of the subtler ones.

I'm also deeply ashamed to say that despite my general anti-DLC stance on games I'd pay to replace his stand-up-straight taunt with Baby Metroid. Just...what is that? The only explanation is a "get it? cuz of the too big memes?" taunt
Boy do I hate hating on Ridley...but yea his taunts are all pretty tame/lame. I love the roar. The claw one is...ok? I need to see it again.

But what is that standing up one??? It's literally a pose he's never in (someone correct me if it is a reference) and like...it's not a taunt? I thought it was an idle pose originally lol.

Even if we are complaining about him I'm glad we are talking about him in the general discussion. I feel like he was hype for a day and then everyone moved on lol.

seriously though I love his design and moveset I'm just nitpicking

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
well i do agree with you however theres one flaw

that's telling me you don't believe in king k rool hes likely to get in the same way Ridley did and geno shuts down the relevance arguement since sakurai wants him in smash

but really not too much is believable especially since funkey kong over dixie kong is not acceptable at all
I wouldn’t mind K Rool, but tbh I’m on the fence with rumors about him joining until there’s some reliable source or something (worked for Ridley and Smash 4)
You know which character I feel like people have really been sleeping on lately? Paper Mario.

Waluigi got disconfirmed, and I guess Captain Toad is considered to be less likely now. Just about everyone who expects another Super Mario character jumped on the Geno bandwagon and left Paper Mario behind in the dust? Why is that? Paper Mario is also a popular request, and unlike Geno, his franchise has been acknowledged in Smash games through trophies and stages since Melee.

Maybe it's because I'm a supporter for Paper Mario, but I feel like our 2-dimensional hammer-swinging fiend would easily be the next choice for a Mario newcomer (assuming both Waluigi and Captain Toad are out of the equation).
I’m still supporting Captain Toad/Toadette, but Paper Mario is also acceptable

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's Jody Summer, lads. Not Summers. Just sayin'.

The problem with making a F-Zero character is that they'll need to be fully unique, as the characters that are recognizable are all much bigger or thinner than Falcon.

Samurai Goroh has his katana and Black Shadow has access to dark magic of sorts but I can't see Sakurai taking the effort to make the latter unique. Blood Falcon as an echo would have been perfect, but that's very unlikely. Shame too as he predates Daisy to being a costume!
The way I see it is, in order for Sakurai to focus on, well, just about anybody from F-Zero, representatives from the majority of other series would need to get included first. Of course, the main problem is that most Smash fans don't pay much attention to the F-Zero cast (ballot or otherwise), so it might take a decade before anything happens there.

At least Nintendo are trying to keep the rights to the IP in the meantime, I guess.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I think Duster from Mother 3 is a safe bet, and I’d really like him.

Earthbound has Ness playable with Paula and Poo in his Final Smash, and Jeff, the tool-using party member, as an assist.

Mother 3 has Lucas playable with Kumatora and Boney in his Final Smash, with Duster, the tool-using party member, nowhere to be seen.

If Duster is an assist, that would mean all main party members from Earthbound and Mother 3 have some role on the battlefield. It’d be weird to have him be the only one missing.

As for what he’d do, I see him throwing his wall staples to pin down enemies.
That would honestly be awesome.
I guess that, since now characters like Kumatora and Boney have their own 3D models, it means they also have trophies with their own descriptions and stuff.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Boy do I hate hating on Ridley...but yea his taunts are all pretty tame/lame. I love the roar. The claw one is...ok? I need to see it again.

But what is that standing up one??? It's literally a pose he's never in (someone correct me if it is a reference) and like...it's not a taunt? I thought it was an idle pose originally lol.

Even if we are complaining about him I'm glad we are talking about him in the general discussion. I feel like he was hype for a day and then everyone moved on lol.

seriously though I love his design and moveset I'm just nitpicking
haha it's fine to be nitpicky about characters we like as long as we don't let it ruin it for us. Other nitpicks I have not relating to Ridley to even things out:
:ultbowser:: Should have some facial expressions from Mario & Luigi plus alts for Bowletta and Rookie. That'd be hilarious
:ultbowserjr:: Needs paint brush in more than final smash
:ultdiddy:: No boombox victory pose?
:ultluigi:: Needs lightning glove instead of green fire
:ultness::ultlucas:: Should make the audience cry more
:ultshulk:: Needs more anger. His character is fueled by hate for so much of his game.
:ultsamus:: Screw attack should always have been her kill move. It's like the most OP thing in Metroid. Also, she should also have a baby metroid taunt
:ultvillager:: why is there no GC Animal Crossing Costume
:ultwolf:: The lack of eyepatch was infuriating. Fixed now
:ultyoshi:: White yoshi MIA

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultlink: Either his intro or one of his victory screens should've shown him peeling in with the Master Cycle Zero.

MainJPW

M.T.A
People want Goku in Smash Ultimate.

No, I do not want Dragon Ball Z Goku in smash.

I have no clue about the monkey.
It was a joke. That character is Goku From Yūyūki:

A Nintendo game base on a mythological story called “Journey to the West” like Dragon Ball’s first ever story arc.

Original Dragon Ball character designs:

Before Akira Toriyama said “screw it” and made Goku a human boy with a tail and a redesigned bō staff.

Goku from Yūyūki and Dragon Ball are both based on Sūn Wùkōng.

Goku from Yūyūki and another character in that game called Chao also appears in Kirby’s Dream Land 3:

So tell them to advocate for Nintendo’s Goku, it’s the closest thing to Dragon Ball’s Goku they’re going to get.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
The Fire Mario skin, Meta Ridley skin, Chrom colors for Ike, and Dark Samus colors for Samus were not in the video.

I’m not sure what you’re point is, but none of the skins I mentioned in my post appear in that video. Because Ridley obviously has that additional skin, it means the demo does not necessarily have all available colors/costumes for every character.

Mario, Ike, and Samus could all still have those skins.
Sorry! I thought you said there were no costumes in the demo so that's why I posted that. Apologies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

To be honest, I'd give the Baby Metroid to Samus over Ridley as it's more important to her. I know it gets flack due to Other M, but the Baby Metroid does affects four (technically five with Samus Returns) games in the franchise and their relationship plays an important role for Samus and what happens to her across them. Samus would benefit more from having it around somewhere then Ridley would, even if the latter getting it would allude to an important moment in Super.

As for the standing taunt, it looks like he's smiling during it, so it could also be an allusion to his intelligent and sadistic nature.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now I don't want Goku in Smash Bros, but I do want Akira Toriyama's art in it.
Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest specifically.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
*Shrugs* Probably another reference to the "Ridley is too big!" meme?

Here's an interesting Reddit post for you Dee supporters

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8uup65/dededes_final_smash_in_smash_ultimate_is_a/

What does everyone think? I find it to be a theory worth entertaining.
Makes sense. Bandana dee would be a pretty cool addition.

KMDP

Smash Legend

You know... Sakurai might go back to the character drawing board for Assist Trophies.
So... might we see Excitebiker, Plusle & Minun and Tetra?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ridley's weird standing taunt is almost certainly to show his size. Even in his larger appearances he's almost always hunched over. So I think it's just to show he is the tallest in the game when he isn't hunched like he usually is. It does look a bit weird, but that's because Ridley never stands straight up lol.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ridley's weird standing taunt is almost certainly to show his size. Even in his larger appearances he's almost always hunched over. So I think it's just to show he is the tallest in the game when he isn't hunched like he usually is. It does look a bit weird, but that's because Ridley never stands straight up lol.
You know, it makes sense as a taunt. Sort of. You know, as an intimidation tactic.
Pit: "He doesn't look that big!"
Ridley: *stands up straight*
Pit: "Hoo, boy!"

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
But...why? His size doesn't matter. He's never the biggest enemy when he shows up so at least for most Metroid fans it's not the feature that defines him. Kraid is the "big one". Phantoon and Nightmare are the "creepy ones". Ridley is the "violent and relentless one". Players will know him for killing the people on the space station, stealing the Metroid, being so up close and personal in (Prime 3 shaft fight), or being the one that doesn't seem to die.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
You know, it makes sense as a taunt. Sort of. You know, as an intimidation tactic.
Pit: "He doesn't look that big!"
Ridley: *stands up straight*
Pit: "Hoo, boy!"
That's a good point! He defintely looks silly because we've never seen him like that but I guess if I was about to fight him that would intimidate me lol.

OK totally unrelated point but I just checked and the Robin & Lucina trailer dropped July 14th, about a month from E3. My guess is a month after E3 is a good time to start expecting a new annoucnement (not necessarily when it will happen, but probably the earliest we will hear something).

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
But...why? His size doesn't matter. He's never the biggest enemy when he shows up so at least for most Metroid fans it's not the feature that defines him. Kraid is the "big one". Phantoon and Nightmare are the "creepy ones". Ridley is the "violent and relentless one". Players will know him for killing the people on the space station, stealing the Metroid, being so up close and personal in (Prime 3 shaft fight), or being the one that doesn't seem to die.
His size isn't what makes Ridley Ridley. I've been saying this for ages. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm just simply giving an explanation why he has that taunt, but I'm not gonna ignore most of his appearances him being pretty big. Giving him a taunt that has him fully stretched out to show "yea, he's the largest in the game standing straight up" is a cool nod.

Also his reveal trailer had incredibly smart camera angles to make him seem larger than he really is in game. So they aren't just ignoring that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom