• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Has anyone considered the possibility of Dark Samus being a special Samus alt like Galacta Knight?

Honestly, that would make a lot more sense to me than Sakurai randomly bringing back an old Metroid character who really shouldn't play anything like Samus.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
"Waluigi (Reggie has more pull than you think)"

Yeah no I don't think so.

Even ignoring that it sounds too much like fanservice on steroids. Even if I do believe Sakurai is paying attention to the ballot and fan demand, this seems like way too much.

Still nice to see Isaac showing up in a few "leaks" though.

Edit: Also this line is super suspicious: "Rex W/ Pyra (Ordered by Sakurai himself)"

Who else would be ordering it? Sakurai is in charge of the roster. (plus we've heard in some interviews, or at least had it alluded to that Sakurai makes all of the roster decisions himself, so this sentence just sounds strange)
That is the lines that confirms it as fake to me. The "leaker" says that Sakurai isn't in charge of the DLC, and is limited to just details. But then if that is the case how he is able to order one of the DLC Characters?

Enchess

Smash Lord
Found a new leak:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422414926
Later on in a reply the leaker meant to say that Impa is an echo fighter of Sheik.
If Nintendo does indie rep at all, I feel Quote is most likely, but on the other hand the wtf character added for the believable 'Sakurai factor' is Dovahkiin who I'm just not buying as the random Sakurai pick this game.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Bowser is meta relevant in Smash4 .
While I understand why you doubt K.Rool would be good (heavyweight), I think you simply can't say stuff like that with so much certainty.
DK is as well. Ding Dong is very frustrating.
so a recovery that works like duck hunt/snake.
a canon ball like bowser jr.
lol he's not turning invisible in smash.
throwing a crown as a boomerang, still doesnt make him unique there are three boomrang users in the game already.
basing him on a gun seems very unlikely as well. if these leaks are to believed that would have been geno. not to mneiton doesnt he only use a gun for one game when he has a pirate hat on for some reason.
With the logic presented, you could argue a lot of characters in Smash are not unique.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Found a new leak:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422414926
Later on in a reply the leaker meant to say that Impa is an echo fighter of Sheik.

But seriously, most of these leaks are either too unrealistic or too safe for me to believe them. I wish someone could give us a good leak that we'd actually guestion for a few days.

Enchess

Smash Lord

But seriously, most of these leaks are either too unrealistic or too safe for me to believe them. I wish someone could give us a good leak that we'd actually guestion for a few days.
So is that a challenge for everyone here to make a 4chan leak and see whose gets the most support on here as 'real' afterwards? Ok everyone, on your mark, get set...

osby

Smash Obsessed

Would you call Inkling+Daisy+Ridley too safe?:bee:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Has anyone considered the possibility of Dark Samus being a special Samus alt like Galacta Knight?

Honestly, that would make a lot more sense to me than Sakurai randomly bringing back an old Metroid character who really shouldn't play anything like Samus.
My theory on the possibility of a Dark Samus echo is this.

I think echoes will be of fan favorite characters that are easy to implement thanks to similar models. So why Dark Samus? Well, and it's just conspiracy, but there was definitely a rise in wanting ANY Metroid rep after the deconfirm of Ridley in Smash 4. Dark Samus was at the top of that and so I think Dark Samus got a lot of votes in the ballot, more than Sakurai expected. When looking through the ballot to add some easy fan favorites mid development Dark Samus would jump right out, I think enough so that Sakurai would forgo the fact she doesn't fight the same (which is definitely the biggest barrier). Also mid production he could of heard about Bandai working on Prime 4 and thought it would be a good tie in character (once again forgoing the fact she most likely won't be in it).

Anyway it's just a theory (don't.). That's why I speculate Chrom and Impa will get the same treatment as they were also probably high on the ballot and easy to implement. (I have no clue about Dixie and that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
You forgot electric trip wire, boxing gloves, using the blunderbuss to zoom around (which is still really weird and confusing), and potentially using Clap Traps.
And don't forget his multiple personalities which would make him visually stand out and would be even more noticeable with this games increased facial expressions.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I don’t really have an opinion on Waluigi, but I found this video pretty great. At least some people know how to deal with him being an AT lightheartedly.

OMG he sang in the choir at my church in my hometown LOL. What a small world. I had no idea he was behind Brawl in the Family!

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Only part I’d believe is Roy speaking English and a story mode...that’s really it
well i do agree with you however theres one flaw

that's telling me you don't believe in king k rool hes likely to get in the same way Ridley did and geno shuts down the relevance arguement since sakurai wants him in smash

but really not too much is believable especially since funkey kong over dixie kong is not acceptable at all

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know which character I feel like people have really been sleeping on lately? Paper Mario.

Waluigi got disconfirmed, and I guess Captain Toad is considered to be less likely now. Just about everyone who expects another Super Mario character jumped on the Geno bandwagon and left Paper Mario behind in the dust? Why is that? Paper Mario is also a popular request, and unlike Geno, his franchise has been acknowledged in Smash games through trophies and stages since Melee.

Maybe it's because I'm a supporter for Paper Mario, but I feel like our 2-dimensional hammer-swinging fiend would easily be the next choice for a Mario newcomer (assuming both Waluigi and Captain Toad are out of the equation).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You know which character I feel like people have really been sleeping on lately? Paper Mario.

Waluigi got disconfirmed, and I guess Captain Toad is considered to be less likely now. Just about everyone who expects another Super Mario character jumped on the Geno bandwagon and left Paper Mario behind in the dust? Why is that? Paper Mario is also a popular request, and unlike Geno, his franchise has been acknowledged in Smash games through trophies and stages since Melee.

Maybe it's because I'm a supporter for Paper Mario, but I feel like our 2-dimensional hammer-swinging fiend would easily be the next choice for a Mario newcomer (assuming both Waluigi and Captain Toad are out of the equation).
Because everyone (myself included) is afraid that they're gonna base him on Sticker Star and Color Splash, and if that were the case would prefer to just not have him at all.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

Yeah, I can definitely see Paper Mario make it. I'd personally prefer a Mario & Luigi IC-esque team with moves from Superstar Saga for Mario RPG rep, but that dream is dead...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I think a lot of people have given up on the possibility of a second Mario Rep after Daisy, myself included. Which is foolish because we got 2 last time, but it's probably due to Sakurai's low expectations comment. It's why most people predict King K. Rool or Dixie and not both (well as unique atleast).

Geno is such a weird situation though. Like if he got in would he have the Mario symbol? Like it makes some sense but it would be super confusing for recent Mario fans who never heard of him. (And by recent I mean at least since 2000 lol)

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people have given up on the possibility of a second Mario Rep after Daisy, myself included. Which is foolish because we got 2 last time, but it's probably due to Sakurai's low expectations comment. It's why most people predict King K. Rool or Dixie and not both (well as unique atleast).

Geno is such a weird situation though. Like if he got in would he have the Mario symbol? Like it makes some sense but it would be super confusing for recent Mario fans who never heard of him. (And by recent I mean at least since 2000 lol)
I feel like there's no way Mario is getting two reps unless one is from an RPG. I know there is precedent for a series getting multiple reps at once, but I just feel like Sakurai will try to spread representation this time. But the Mario RPGs can and probably should count as a unique series.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Because everyone (myself included) is afraid that they're gonna base him on Sticker Star and Color Splash, and if that were the case would prefer to just not have him at all.
I'd be disappointed, sure, but I'd rather get a Paper Mario with a moveset inspired from his worst games than to not get him at all. There'd likely still be a few callbacks to his older games, and even if there wasn't, they could always be added in future games.

Either way, a bad moveset doesn't effect his chances of getting in Smash.

Yeah, I can definitely see Paper Mario make it. I'd personally prefer a Mario & Luigi IC-esque team with moves from Superstar Saga for Mario RPG rep, but that dream is dead...
I'd actually love to see a Mario & Luigi team character. It'll probably never happen since it'd be so confusing to people unfamiliar with their series, but it's a cool concept regardless.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I feel like there's no way Mario is getting two reps unless one is from an RPG. I know there is precedent for a series getting multiple reps at once, but I just feel like Sakurai will try to spread representation this time. But the Mario RPGs can and probably should count as a unique series.
Honestly it's not coming from a place of bias because I don't really care for either character, but I could see Paper Mario sharing the Mario symbol but not Geno. I mean Mario is in his name! That would be even more confusing for players if he was considered a different series lol.

I'd like to think Sakurai will spread representation considering the less newcomers expectations, but I can totally see some series getting more than one. This also might be due to echoes as well since they were probably decide mid development after unique newcomers were decided. So really since Daisy is an echo it shouldn't effect the chance of a Mario newcomer. Hm.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Honestly it's not coming from a place of bias because I don't really care for either character, but I could see Paper Mario sharing the Mario symbol but not Geno. I mean Mario is in his name! That would be even more confusing for players if he was considered a different series lol.

I'd like to think Sakurai will spread representation considering the less newcomers expectations, but I can totally see some series getting more than one. This also might be due to echoes as well since they were probably decide mid development after unique newcomers were decided. So really since Daisy is an echo it shouldn't effect the chance of a Mario newcomer. Hm.
To be clear, I'm not counting echoes at all. I can see Mario getting one unique character, but not two. I didn't read the original comment closely when I responded originally so I missed the "after Daisy"

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I don’t really have an opinion on Waluigi, but I found this video pretty great. At least some people know how to deal with him being an AT lightheartedly.

Brawl in the Family <3 I remember his content from back when Smash 4 was being made.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
One character I think would be interesting to see is Paper Mario. He wouldn't be a clone but use movesets base on his games.

Enchess

Smash Lord
If Game & Watch didn't get his animation changes this time around, it would've been cool to see a Paper Mario costume for him. I know the moveset wouldn't make sense, but it's just a costume, it wouldn't have to.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'd be disappointed, sure, but I'd rather get a Paper Mario with a moveset inspired from his worst games than to not get him at all. There'd likely still be a few callbacks to his older games, and even if there wasn't, they could always be added in future games.

Either way, a bad moveset doesn't effect his chances of getting in Smash.
I know that doesn't affect his chances but that's mostly the reason I stopped supporting him.

It's a similar issue I have with Dixie being an echo; Paper Mario deserves far better, and if he does end up with this moveset then the whole Smash community is gonna have something similar to the Wario moveset controversy, except to the nth power.

Also I REALLY don't think Geno would get something else than a Mushroom for his symbol. Or should.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
This is exactly how I feel. I like the Paper Mario RPGs a ton and they're some of my favorite games of all time.

However, basing him off of Sticker Star/Colour Splash would 100% disinterest me. I don't care about Paper Mario because he's a Mario made out of paper. I care about Paper Mario because of how unique and amazing Paper Mario 64/TTYD are.

Why would I want a 3rd Mario just because he's made out of paper this time?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Hey how about we meet in the middle and base him off Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam?

The whole Copy Block thing could lead to an interesting moveset, and if Sakurai for one reason or another doesn't want to make a callback to the earlier games in his moveset, this would be a nice alternative.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
This game is about pleasing fans though, if we can have Ganondorf using his OoT design then we can have a paper mario that's a callback to his older titles.

Enchess

Smash Lord
This game is about pleasing fans though, if we can have Ganondorf using his OoT design then we can have a paper mario that's a callback to his older titles.
If anything the real question is would he use Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario moves since those two are both popular.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Ridley's Special is a fireball, oh Mario already does that.
Ridley's Side Special is a command grab, Ganondorf already does that.
Ridley's Up Special is charging and then flying, Fox already does that.
Ridley's Down Special is Focus Attack, Ryu does that.
All of Ridley's standard moves can be done by Charizard.

Well, I guess Ridley is a bad newcomer.
can be done yes. are they? no.
ridley done b is not a focus. where did you get that?
charge then fly is something many characters can and do in smash it is also my least liked special for ridley but thats one overlap.
ridely and ganon command grab are not similar at all. both being command grabs does not make them simliar in comaprison i said throwing a crown like a boomrang is boring when there are 3 boomerangs in the game.
i am not anti king k i am not fond of newcomers that do not bring new things to the table. also why im indifferent to echo fighters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If Game & Watch didn't get his animation changes this time around, it would've been cool to see a Paper Mario costume for him. I know the moveset wouldn't make sense, but it's just a costume, it wouldn't have to.
What? No.

The most annoying part of any speculation periodis people trying to cram characters they do not want as costumes/skins. No thank you.

Enchess

Smash Lord
can be done yes. are they? no.
ridley done b is not a focus. where did you get that?
charge then fly is something many characters can and do in smash it is also my least liked special for ridley but thats one overlap.
ridely and ganon command grab are not similar at all. both being command grabs does not make them simliar in comaprison i said throwing a crown like a boomrang is boring when there are 3 boomerangs in the game.
i am not anti king k i am not fond of newcomers that do not bring new things to the table. also why im indifferent to echo fighters.
But it's been pointed out extensively that K Rool has abilities no other fighter has and the stuff that is in common is still different. Who else has anything resembling mist traps that cause debuffs?

EDIT: Also gonna add that even though Ridley was my #1 most wanted by a huge margin, even I have to admit Ridley is no where near as unique of moveset potential as K Rool.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since Smash is adding everyone from the Mario games except Waluigi and Toad, why not add Baby Mario & Baby Luigi team from Mario & Luigi Partners in Time? This way, Yoshi would finally have a 2nd rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom