• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Character: Fulgore. Easily. Already has a moveset that can be changed up just a tad, with two major sources to go off of(his original Killer Instinct appearances, where he's a shotoclone, and the latest game, which changes a lot of characters up to help differentiate them. Though the fact that Rare isn't the developer anymore does have something to do with that possibly).
Ken Lobb was VERY MUCH on hand when KI 2013 dropped, as well as a few other members of the original KI team that originated from the Rare-developed era. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy helped in carrying the torch along by bringing the franchise up to modernity.

Smooth Criminal

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I inherited a SNES collection and KI was just amongst them. I thought the black cartridge was sick af and I played it all the time even though I was never good at it. I'm still not good, I can't play any fighting game that isn't simplified like Smash. :p I still love KI regardless, Fulgore's original theme with the sirens is the best.

It's amazing how a lot of KI characters can utilize a Smash Moveset.
I think what really helped is MegaMan redefining how a moveset can be. Generally, people didn't expect projectiles outside of either a really short range attack(that is more or less no different from thrusting a sword outwards, like Marth's Up Smash) at best or a Special Move, but MegaMan changed that up heavily with a whole new projectile-based moveset.

This really helps in making movesets more fun because it's showing that you don't need to focus that much on the B moves alone. For instance, it was common for a B moveset to be Up B: Recovery, B: Projectile, Down B: Large hitbox move, Side B: Dash move/faster projectile. But now? There's just soooooooo much more to do. Of course, Jigglypuff broke the mold with her Up B, but still.

Ken Lobb was VERY MUCH on hand when KI 2013 dropped, as well as a few other members of the original KI team that originated from the Rare-developed era. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy helped in carrying the torch along by bringing the franchise up to modernity.

Smooth Criminal
I did not know that. Thanks for the information. I only knew that it had a new developer. :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
TLDR: NO ONE WANTS TO SEE STEVE VS. LINK AMVS ON YOUTUBE OR STEVE X PEACH ON DEVIANTART.
Nobody wanted to see Daisy X Ridley and looked what happened, we got r34 Star Wars.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I like Corrin. Not my all time fave but I like them well enough. I wasn't all that impressed with them being one of the final DLC characters but I came to terms with that very quickly and saw that they had a cool, unique moveset that represented them well. I don't understand the hate surrounding them either. Salt about them being one of the few DLC?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The game fits its own aesthetic, and I agree it can be beautiful when you're playing Minecraft. I just mean it looks out of place and rather unattractive if you placed in a different world, like Smash. Did you ever see the Minecraft section in Borderlands 2? It looked wildly out of place (though it was really cool to run into it...).

EDIT: Regardless, beauty is subjective and from what I've seen in Minecraft Smash discussion, many would agree that Steve would look pretty gross as a character in Smash. I still think a Minecraft stage is one of the best possible stage options overall, though.
I don't really find implanting elements from a different art style into another to ever really be off putiing. I know some people dislike the Pac-Land stage because of the way it looks but I really like the juxataposition of the Smash characters against the simplistic background. Similarly, I get a kick out of seeing retro styled sprites and graphics amongst more detailed ones.

While Minecraft in Smash isn't something I particularly want to see, the juxtaposition of various designs wouldn't look out of place to me. We already have a wide array of designs, from a more realistic human like Snake, to anime inspired designs and everything in between. We have the retro and modern juxtapositions in stages like Pac-Land, the N64 stages and even items like Boss Galaga. So I don't think including voxel designs from Minecraft is going to stick out anymore than the other mixtures of designs in Smash.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why Kilgore? Fulgore's like, the mascot next to Jago or Orchid. :confused:
Master Chief, as much as I'd love him and his super sick song tracks he'd bring with him, hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console. Though Cloud was implemented anyway due to his worldwide effects, I don't know how much impact Halo had in the East. Maybe Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom has the answer?
I have no idea really. XBox isn’t really that popular here.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have no idea really. XBox isn’t really that popular here.
Well, RIP The Chief. I heavily doubt Sakurai would do a whole TWO west-influenced picks. But since we got Mac and Ridley, let's hope the obvious winner of Microsoft doesn't win. After all, maybe Banjo's a fun pick in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
This really helps in making movesets more fun because it's showing that you don't need to focus that much on the B moves alone. For instance, it was common for a B moveset to be Up B: Recovery, B: Projectile, Down B: Large hitbox move, Side B: Dash move/faster projectile. But now? There's just soooooooo much more to do. Of course, Jigglypuff broke the mold with her Up B, but still.
Sing actually increases Jigglypuff's ledge grab box, so it does have some function as a recovery :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think what Swamp also kinda means is the negativity about Corrin for being "another Fire Emblem character" or for "Taking my most wanted's character slot in DLC", especially as this started because someone got upset at the site mentioning Corrin for the fighter of the day

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
New 4chan text leak:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421812226/#421812226
Some Smash Ult info for you guys.

Remaining characters to be revealed are: Rash, Banjo, Dark Samus, Shadow, Ken, Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong, K.Rool and Geno. Geno is a solo character. Dark Samus is an echo. Banjo is here, but could only be in if Rash was in, so both are in. Simon was a request from Konami. Ken is also an echo, but has his crazy kicks. Shadow is also considered an echo, but uses Chaos Control in his Final Smash and as his recovery move. Chaos spear is not in his moveset.

As for system changes, hitstun will be going up, which will hopefully make matches move faster, as least that's what my sources tell me. The development team wants the game to be MUCH more awarding towards aggressive play. Bayo is getting nerfed into the ground from what they tell me as well. She's losing all jumps after Witch Twist and her Up-Air and Back-Air can no longer kill.
What is it with Rash from Battletoads of all characters?

Anyways, the count has been streamlined on Google Sheets and is now in my signature for ease of viewing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like Corrin. Not my all time fave but I like them well enough. I wasn't all that impressed with them being one of the final DLC characters but I came to terms with that very quickly and saw that they had a cool, unique moveset that represented them well. I don't understand the hate surrounding them either. Salt about them being one of the few DLC?
That, and also Fire Emblem being overrepresented and them being promotion. They are not very popular in FE fandom, too but it doesn't say anything since "most people know Fire Emblem from Smash! ".

Like, I'm not too fond of Corrin but think people are way too vocal about it. I kinda hate Ridley, for example, but try saying that on the net.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The game fits its own aesthetic, and I agree it can be beautiful when you're playing Minecraft. I just mean it looks out of place and rather unattractive if you placed in a different world, like Smash. Did you ever see the Minecraft section in Borderlands 2? It looked wildly out of place (though it was really cool to run into it...).

EDIT: Regardless, beauty is subjective and from what I've seen in Minecraft Smash discussion, many would agree that Steve would look pretty gross as a character in Smash. I still think a Minecraft stage is one of the best possible stage options overall, though.
To be fair, Steve wouldn’t necessarily look *exactly* like he does in Minecraft. Part of this is just the fact that Smash Ultimate’s shaders are different from vanilla Minecraft’s, with dynamic shadows and lots of fresnel on the character models.

However, if they really wanted to, they could also add more detail such as with subtle normal mapping and/or extra shading. They could also alter parts of him to be more “3D” in a way, with his shirt more separated from his pants, his pants more separated from his shoes, his hair more separated from his head, etc, perhaps even with some subtle clothing physics. I don’t think they should alter too much else, though, IMO, like, his elbows and knees shouldn’t be flexible.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sing actually increases Jigglypuff's ledge grab box, so it does have some function as a recovery :p
As does Yoshi's Up B, just not in the first game. They're clearly not designed to function as a recovery originally. I also forget to name Yoshi too, heh.

Anyway, at least with Fulgore, it still works. The fun fact about him, though, is that he has multiple options for Specials. Plasmaport, Cyberdash, Laserstorm, Eye Laser, Plasma Slice, Electroreflect, and Lock-On. With the new Final Smash design, I could see some easy choices. A variation of his Ultimate Combo where he turns into the character for some attacks not unlike his normal abilities, his Heavy Artillery(which is basically just a lot of weapon attacks), or Laser(a giant laser falls upon the stage),

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Rash is the best Battletoad. Period. The only good one as a matter of fact.

Shroob

Sup?
New 4chan text leak:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421812226/#421812226
Some Smash Ult info for you guys.

Remaining characters to be revealed are: Rash, Banjo, Dark Samus, Shadow, Ken, Simon Belmont, Dixie Kong, K.Rool and Geno. Geno is a solo character. Dark Samus is an echo. Banjo is here, but could only be in if Rash was in, so both are in. Simon was a request from Konami. Ken is also an echo, but has his crazy kicks. Shadow is also considered an echo, but uses Chaos Control in his Final Smash and as his recovery move. Chaos spear is not in his moveset.

As for system changes, hitstun will be going up, which will hopefully make matches move faster, as least that's what my sources tell me. The development team wants the game to be MUCH more awarding towards aggressive play. Bayo is getting nerfed into the ground from what they tell me as well. She's losing all jumps after Witch Twist and her Up-Air and Back-Air can no longer kill.
What is it with Rash from Battletoads of all characters?

Anyways, the count has been streamlined on Google Sheets and is now in my signature for ease of viewing.
I'd be fine with these character choices, but...

Seriously, two, going on 3 now, weeks from E3 and no one's stepped up to make any picture leaks?

Maybe it's because I've been through this twice before, and because we got basically a huge dump of info at once...... but my god, this speculation cycle is BORING.:dizzy:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
My favorite Microsoft rep would be Master Chief, I'd also enjoy Banjo.

I also must admit that I despise the idea of having Steve in Smash while understanding his importance. It's a very personal bias.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Battletoad Wiki says Rash is also the mascot of the series instead of their leader Zitz, which is weird.

Rash is the best Battletoad. Period. The only good one as a matter of fact.
Did any of the Battletoads even have a personality before they got their cameo in KI?
Untitled.png

Ew, just reeks of 90s.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As does Yoshi's Up B, just not in the first game. They're clearly not designed to function as a recovery originally. I also forget to name Yoshi too, heh.

Anyway, at least with Fulgore, it still works. The fun fact about him, though, is that he has multiple options for Specials. Plasmaport, Cyberdash, Laserstorm, Eye Laser, Plasma Slice, Electroreflect, and Lock-On. With the new Final Smash design, I could see some easy choices. A variation of his Ultimate Combo where he turns into the character for some attacks not unlike his normal abilities, his Heavy Artillery(which is basically just a lot of weapon attacks), or Laser(a giant laser falls upon the stage),
Well Yoshi's egg toss got the overhaul in Brawl making it a recovery move, granting him some height with each toss until they no longer aid his recovery.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also helps he has a more marketable name compared to Zits and Pimple.
You'd think Rash sounds like a great name until you see the other Battletoads names and realize he's named after actual rashes. :4ness:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Few more text leaks. The count has been updated to see fit.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421698046/#421698046
-Incineroar (NOT decidueye)
-Waluigi (Assist Trophy was a Red Herring)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Master Chief (Not Kidding.)
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421726763/#421726763
Newcomers: Elma, K. Rool, Ashley, Chorus Men, Simon Belmont, Dark Samus, Dixie Kong, Octolings

This leak has nothing to do with fighters, but has to do with music. Looks interesting.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421787520/#421787520
Some of these will be posted on the Smash Bros website towards the release of the game. This is not every new remix, but a few I was able to learn of.

New Donk City - Tee Lopes
Steam Gardens - Jun Chikuma
DK rap - Grant Kirkhope & Shoji Meguro (vocals by Lotus Juice)
Trainer Battle (Pokemon Sun and Moon) - Juninho Masuda
Kirby Star Allies medley - London Symphony Orchestra & Tomoya Ohtani
ARMS medley - Seima Iwahashi and Atsuku Asashi
Battle Against a Weird Opponent - Toby Fox
Ice Climber - London Symphony Orchestra
You Will Recall Our Names - Jun Sunoe
Chocobo - Kors K
Eat Em Up - Taka Inoue
Live and Learn - Yatsunori Mitsuda (vocals by Johnny Gioeli)
Live and Learn (JP) - (vocals by Aoi Yuki)
Fighting Polygon Team (Super Smash Bros.) - Hirukazo Ando

Also why isn't my signature showing up?

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
This Waluigi red herring nonsense is just Ridley's shadow all over again.

I kind of pity them because I did the same thing during the shadow debacle in Smash 4 speculation.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve (Minecraft)
Newcomers: Elma, K. Rool, Ashley, Chorus Men, Simon Belmont, Dark Samus, Dixie Kong, Octolings

This leak has nothing to do with fighters, but has to do with music. Looks interesting.
Some of these will be posted on the Smash Bros website towards the release of the game. This is not every new remix, but a few I was able to learn of.

Chocobo - Kors K
Eat Em Up - Taka Inoue
DK Rap with vocals by Lotus Juice?

I'm so down for that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve (Minecraft)

Chocobo - Kors K
Eat Em Up - Taka Inoue

Why would a Toby Fox song be here?
Unless...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
In a way what Sakurai did with Waluigi is kinda brilliant. If ten years down the road they need a hype character to announce for Smash 6, they've already created one with him, the same way anticipation for Ridley only grew each time he was deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
-Crash Bandicoot
-Steve (Minecraft)

Chocobo - Kors K
Eat Em Up - Taka Inoue

Leaking music of all things makes it intriguing. I still think it's fake but I give it an A for effort. Seems like a lot of research was done on this one.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, RIP The Chief. I heavily doubt Sakurai would do a whole TWO west-influenced picks. But since we got Mac and Ridley, let's hope the obvious winner of Microsoft doesn't win. After all, maybe Banjo's a fun pick in the Land of the Rising Sun.

I can only speak anecdotally but I get the impression Banjo-Kazooie is more of a cult game in Japan. It has its fans but it's definitely not as well known or popular as Super Donkey Kong. No doubt because of the Britishisms and focus on dialogue, while DK has great 2D platforming with colorful cartoony animals. It's a much easier game to enjoy cross-culturally.

I imagine if Banjo got in a lot of Japanese players might be confused who he is like they were with Little Mac. With Ridley they knew who he was and were happy for us that he was in.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
In a way what Sakurai did with Waluigi is kinda brilliant. If ten years down the road they need a hype character to announce for Smash 6, they've already created one with him, the same way anticipation for Ridley only grew each time he was deconfirmed.
Thats true.

its sort of a secretly genius move, especially since we dont have many more nintendo characters that could generate hype and cause people to be all "whaaat!!!??? he got in!!?? yeees!!!". i mean after we get the rest of the newcomers and then DLC, unless they REALLY drop the ball and give us a terrible selection (i dont see that happening), there will be a very small amount of remaining characters that arent third party that could get people really excited.

creating a few remaining "didnt make it" characters is helpful here.

Now I doubt that was intentional more like a positive after thought to a few wanted characters being deconfirmed (waluigi,takamaru,krystal,bomberman etc...) and I'm even more doubtful that whatever the next smash game is, it will simply be all the characters from this game plus a few more... honestly not sure where smash will go after this but adding another 10 or so characters NEXT game on top of the most likely 70-80 we will have after alls said and done with this game (dlc) seems unlikely. thinking instead they will do something unexpected and different but thats probably a while down the road so we'll just have to wait and see i guess.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If/when there's another Smash after this, people need to expect a completely different and smaller roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If/when there's another Smash after this, people need to expect a completely different and smaller roster.
A lot of people were saying the exact same thing before E3, so I'll keep my expectations in check for now.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
A lot of people were saying the exact same thing before E3, so I'll keep my expectations in check for now.
I think the 'Smash Port' rumors really put them in a bind over what it actually is. Over the course of E3, Nintendo had multiple positions on it. Unlike Mario X Rabbids, that leak, or at least that idea (being a port) hurt the game's initial reaction.

But because development from Smash 4 basically continued into Ultimate, it's likely we won't see this kind of thing happen again.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I think I have to come to terms and admit it.

When Smash got teased back when, I was eagerly awaiting E3, and when it dropped, my hype exploded...

But as someone who was there for Brawl hype and Smash4 hype, I honestly feel like the "Everyone is here!", while great for marketing and getting hype initially.... is kinda terrible for speculation. And between the "Echo Fighter" rebranding and "Hope you're not expecting a lot"... it feels like creativity gets vicegripped, since both of these are hanging over our heads constantly to make us think certain ways.

I remember back in Smash 4 times where every PotD was something magical, where you waited patiently for it, and when it dropped, even if it was someone who was obviously going to come back, it was a big deal seeing them in their new graphics and model. Hell, Olimar and Luigi dropping shortly after E3 was amazing, and seeing swole Ike was awesome. Hell, Yoshi standing upright was a HUGE deal.

Now? What's the point in looking at the PotD, really? Rehashing up to 3 character trailers a week of characters we already know is just killing time, and while I AM thankful knowing that nobody got cut...... at the same time, that precarious dance that we danced every night a potential new reveal would come was just....fun?

My biggest concern right now is that they're going to save newcomers exclusive for Directs, which could very well happen... Which is just... boring.

I really don't mean to sound ungrateful, I don't. I am excited as **** for Smash...

But when I dusted off this old account after a 4 year absence of speculation, I dunno, I guess it just doesn't feel like I remember it.:urg:

And it REALLY doesn't help that the 'leaks' have been gawdawful.

Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, but even the text 'leaks' this time around seem bad. Where's our Ninka leak? Where's Tower of Smash? Where's fake Palutena? Scarely? Fake Ness and Jigglypuff?

tl;dr:

This round of speculation feels hella boring.

It feels like they gave us too much wayyyy too quickly, leaving us to our own devices for too long.

Too much of a good thing, isn't a good thing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I think I have to come to terms and admit it.

When Smash got teased back when, I was eagerly awaiting E3, and when it dropped, my hype exploded...

But as someone who was there for Brawl hype and Smash4 hype, I honestly feel like the "Everyone is here!", while great for marketing and getting hype initially.... is kinda terrible for speculation.

I remember back in Smash 4 times where every PotD was something magical, where you waited patiently for it, and when it dropped, even if it was someone who was obviously going to come back, it was a big deal seeing them in their new graphics and model.

Now? What's the point in looking at the PotD, really? Rehashing up to 3 character trailers a week of characters we already know is just killing time, and while I AM thankful knowing that nobody got cut...... at the same time, that precarious dance that we danced every night a potential new reveal would come was just....fun?

My biggest concern right now is that they're going to save newcomers exclusive for Directs, which could very well happen... Which is just... boring.

I really don't mean to sound ungrateful, I don't. I am excited as **** for Smash...

But when I dusted off this old account after a 4 year absence of speculation, I dunno, I guess it just doesn't feel like I remember it.:urg:

And it REALLY doesn't help that the 'leaks' have been gawdawful.

Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, but even the text 'leaks' this time around seem bad. Where's our Ninka leak? Where's Tower of Smash?
While I agree with you, there is something nice about radio silence. Newcomers is nice and all but there was so many things about veterans that I'm still trying to digest it all.

Also, two of my least favourite Nintendo characters were got in and the other still dominates speculation as an AT, so I'll refrain from new fighter talk for a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom