• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
POTD was boring anyway. Smash Dojo >>>>>>>>> that.

Brawl hype was the best hype.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I missed Brawl hype because I was (less than) 7 years old and didn't know the game existed

Shroob

Sup?
POTD was boring anyway. Smash Dojo >>>>>>>>> that.

Brawl hype was the best hype.
Of course.

Brawl was blown up to massive proportions.

But at the same time, PotD was hype as well, it just didn't offer as much info as PotD.

Now it's just....... "Oh, a video I've already watched....okay."

The fact that they'll be doing this until November 9th, and even longer if they stop posting 3 a week to conserve them, is a dreadful thought to me, personally.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
Yeah Smash Dojo was the most hype Thing ever. The fact that I was still a kid at that time made it even more exciting. While I'm still super stoked this time around nothing could ever come close the feeling I got for Brawl reveals 10 years ago. Haaa good times.

StormC

Smash Hero
Brawl hype ruined my life. Before the Dojo I didn't spend hours on the internet combing through a developer's personal habits and arguing about why a video game character "deserves" to be in a cartoon mascot fighter like it was a political rally.

I'm 27.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Brawl hype ruined my life. Before the Dojo I didn't spend hours on the internet combing through a developer's personal habits and argue about why a video game character "deserves" to be in a cartoon mascot fighter like it was a political rally.

I'm 27.
Same age as me.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Brawl hype ruined my life. Before the Dojo I didn't spend hours on the internet combing through a developer's personal habits and argue about why a video game character "deserves" to be in a cartoon mascot fighter like it was a political rally.

I'm 27.
I'm also 27.

And I'm just NOW engaging in Smash conversations

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Of course.

Brawl was blown up to massive proportions.

But at the same time, PotD was hype as well, it just didn't offer as much info as PotD.

Now it's just....... "Oh, a video I've already watched....okay."

The fact that they'll be doing this until November 9th, and even longer if they stop posting 3 a week to conserve them, is a dreadful thought to me, personally.
Wait, where did you hear they’ll be doing that until November 9th?

Shroob

Sup?
Wait, where did you hear they’ll be doing that until November 9th?
We're getting 3 a week.

At the current rate, if they don't reduce that number at all, and we get 0 new reveals during that time, they'll run out of characters to repost by November 9th.

This of course implies that they keep it at 3 a week, and not including any potential reveals.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Back in the days of Brawl speculation, I didn't really have any specific character that I really 'wanted' per-se. Wario would have been that, but he was confirmed right away in the first trailer.

I still remember the first time I saw that trailer at a Toys R Us store and seeing it played on a tiny monitor, and I was super excited to see Wario. Brawl speculation was a bit magical to me since I was so enjoying the daily updates and just enjoying the new additions as they arrived, like a kid getting some amazing gift when the site updated.

Smash 4's speculation was much crazier all around, and during quite a hectic time with the end of high school approaching.

Now with Smash Bros Ultimate, I'm slightly dialling back on the speculating with Ridley being added, but I'll still be excited for any new characters if there are revealed to be more. I still have a minimalistic wishlist of 6-8 characters that I'd love to see, but even if none of them make it in the end as a playable character, I'm prepared for that possibility, but at least it was fun to speculate one last time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Brawl Hype was insane. I remember going out with family for my birthday on October 9th and sleeping in. Woke up, check the computer?

Sonic is ****ing announced. I nearly killed myself in Hype that morning.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I was about 10-11 when Brawl came out so I was a bit young for the Dojo hype. But I loved Smash 4 pre-release, maybe a little too much that it got the way of School I think.

Done with that now. So I can enjoy this pre-release all I want. But it feels a lot like a post Smash Direct pic of the day period where every update was something we knew. But a new song would be nice

D

Deleted member

Brawl hype ruined my life. Before the Dojo I didn't spend hours on the internet combing through a developer's personal habits and arguing about why a video game character "deserves" to be in a cartoon mascot fighter like it was a political rally.

I'm 27.
That means you were 17 when Brawl was released.
I'm currently 17 and I'm basically doing the same thing.... oh n O

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I was a month shy of 11 years old when Brawl came out. I don't think I'll ever be as hype for anything in the future as I was for Brawl.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, at least we're getting music again like back in the Brawl days. It's something.

D

Deleted member

PotDs at least had the advantage to have lasted longer that Brawl's Dojo.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Honestly, I think I have to come to terms and admit it.

When Smash got teased back when, I was eagerly awaiting E3, and when it dropped, my hype exploded...

But as someone who was there for Brawl hype and Smash4 hype, I honestly feel like the "Everyone is here!", while great for marketing and getting hype initially.... is kinda terrible for speculation. And between the "Echo Fighter" rebranding and "Hope you're not expecting a lot"... it feels like creativity gets vicegripped, since both of these are hanging over our heads constantly to make us think certain ways.

I remember back in Smash 4 times where every PotD was something magical, where you waited patiently for it, and when it dropped, even if it was someone who was obviously going to come back, it was a big deal seeing them in their new graphics and model. Hell, Olimar and Luigi dropping shortly after E3 was amazing, and seeing swole Ike was awesome. Hell, Yoshi standing upright was a HUGE deal.

Now? What's the point in looking at the PotD, really? Rehashing up to 3 character trailers a week of characters we already know is just killing time, and while I AM thankful knowing that nobody got cut...... at the same time, that precarious dance that we danced every night a potential new reveal would come was just....fun?

My biggest concern right now is that they're going to save newcomers exclusive for Directs, which could very well happen... Which is just... boring.

I really don't mean to sound ungrateful, I don't. I am excited as **** for Smash...

But when I dusted off this old account after a 4 year absence of speculation, I dunno, I guess it just doesn't feel like I remember it.:urg:

And it REALLY doesn't help that the 'leaks' have been gawdawful.

Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, but even the text 'leaks' this time around seem bad. Where's our Ninka leak? Where's Tower of Smash? Where's fake Palutena? Scarely? Fake Ness and Jigglypuff?

tl;dr:

This round of speculation feels hella boring.

It feels like they gave us too much wayyyy too quickly, leaving us to our own devices for too long.

Too much of a good thing, isn't a good thing.
It's like you enjoy speculating about Smash more than playing Smash.

I honestly couldn't give a **** about speculation because come December we'll have the Ultimate Smash experience. The game's always way better than whatever experience you get from speculation.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He'd never be considered as a full out character with full dev time, and I know this for a fact.
No, you don't.

You do NOT know for certain. Its like saying "I know for a fact that we won't be getting any more Fire Emblem characters!" at release for Smash 4.

You don't know that because Sakurai often just does what he wants to do. You do not know for a fact what goes through his head. Its absurd you'd make claim as bold as that.

Unless you work for Nintendo and have been in meetings with the guy about every newcomer he considers then you do not know for a fact who he would consider.

"Back in myyyyy day, knowing actually meant something."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Brawl's speculation period was absolutely amazing, not only because the Dojo was absolutely unreal, but also because everyone just went wild with their wishes. Take something like Geno's support for example, not even the main character of a spin-off that was over 10 years old ended up being one of the community's most wanted characters, just because it'd be cool, that would never happen today. We now know that it even got Sakurai's attention and that he wanted to include him, so even if it didn't happen it certainly wasn't in vain, and there's even the chance it could pay off 10 years later.

SSE speculation was also a thing, it took quite some time before they actually revealed what the story mode was all about, but when they did everyone were incredibly excited. Fans were speculating who would team up, what the Subspace even was, what bosses we would get, analyzing scenery (Ridley in the clouds lmao), that was also tons of fun.

There simply was a bigger focus on what we wanted, and not so much what was perceived as likely, which is the only thing we talk about now. Of course there still were some character detractors, "too big" was a common argument even back then for example, but they were far fewer than with Smash 4. That was obviously part of why everything crashed and burned so spectacularly when the final roster was revealed as everyone had gotten their hopes way up, and I assume that's why there were so many negative nancies trying to constantly temper expectations during Smash 4, but clearly that was completely pointless aswell given the reaction to Smash 4's full roster was met with similar outrage, so the only purpose that fulfilled was to create a negative atmosphere.

Seriously, the first thing I think of when talking Smash 4 speculation is negativity, there were so many downers, and I suppose they felt vindicated in their negativity when the final roster was revealed to not include a lot of the fan favorites, but it made for a really lousy experience, especially towards the end. I like Ultimate's speculation much more than that so far, it's much more lowkey and generally just filled with more excitement, it's like after E3 people are daring to dream again which is nice.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You guys think the stage section of the website will open before the end of July?
I would like it to but I don't see it happening.

When it does open, I'd like it be like the fighters page and just update with all the already confirmed stages all at once.

Shroob

Sup?
It's like you enjoy speculating about Smash more than playing Smash.

I honestly couldn't give a **** about speculation because come December we'll have the Ultimate Smash experience. The game's always way better than whatever experience you get from speculation.
Honestly, I kinda do, since I don't even own a Switch.

I have very vivid memories of Brawl Dojo days on Nsider2, and being her for Smash4. It's the feeling of community of people who are all excited about the same thing as you and the discussions it brings with it.

But this cycle just feels....meh.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Smash 4 speculation wasn't terrible, but it probably would've been 10x better if...

(1) Mewtwo made the base roster.
(2) Ridley wasn't a stage boss and got in as DLC.
(3) Gematsu never existed.
(4) Lucina and Dark Pit were alts.

Shroob

Sup?
Brawl's speculation period was absolutely amazing, not only because the Dojo was absolutely unreal, but also because everyone just went wild with their wishes. Take something like Geno's support for example, not even the main character of a spin-off that was over 10 years old ended up being one of the community's most wanted characters, just because it'd be cool, that would never happen today. We now know that it even got Sakurai's attention and that he wanted to include him, so even if it didn't happen it certainly wasn't in vain, and there's even the chance it could pay off 10 years later.

SSE speculation was also a thing, it took quite some time before they actually revealed what the story mode was all about, but when they did everyone were incredibly excited. Fans were speculating who would team up, what the Subspace even was, what bosses we would get, analyzing scenery (Ridley in the clouds lmao), that was also tons of fun.

There simply was a bigger focus on what we wanted, and not so much what was perceived as likely, which is the only thing we talk about now. Of course there still were some character detractors, "too big" was a common argument even back then for example, but they were far fewer than with Smash 4. That was obviously part of why everything crashed and burned so spectacularly when the final roster was revealed as everyone had gotten their hopes way up, and I assume that's why there were so many negative nancies trying to constantly temper expectations during Smash 4, but clearly that was completely pointless aswell given the reaction to Smash 4's full roster was met with similar outrage, so the only purpose that fulfilled was to create a negative atmosphere.

Seriously, the first thing I think of when talking Smash 4 speculation is negativity, there were so many downers, and I suppose they felt vindicated in their negativity when the final roster was revealed to not include a lot of the fan favorites, but it made for a really lousy experience, especially towards the end. I like Ultimate's speculation much more than that so far, it's much more lowkey and generally just filled with more excitement, it's like after E3 people are daring to dream again which is nice.
"Dream"?

That's....highly debatable, tbh.

Between people taking Sakurai's word of "Don't expect too many more" to mean like 1-2 newcomers max, or people thinking that just because 1:1 clones got dubbed "Echo Fighters" mean he's going to vomit them out, to be fair, creativity feels incredibly stifled right now, with most people thinking even 6 new characters, with half of them being clones mind you, may be too many.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash 4 speculation wasn't terrible, but it probably would've been 10x better if...

(1) Mewtwo made the base roster.
(2) Ridley wasn't a stage boss and got in as DLC.
(3) Gematsu never existed.
(4) Lucina and Dark Pit were alts.
(5) There was no ballot and Bayonetta simply got in.
(6) Corrin was in the base roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, if we keep getting 3 veterans a week, that pattern will still hold.
Assuming they don't skip over too many days.

Who wouldn't like such a loveable face.
Everybody loves a nasty underdog, just ask Wacky Races and Yatterman fans. :wario:

Popular character requests in the West: Giant evil reptiles.

Popular character requests in the East: Cute little girls.
You forgot about bears, apes, knights and genies for the West.

I want more Mona love.

Obviously she's not the more likely candidate for a :ultwario: rep, but I mean I want more Mona stuff in general.

Ashley is great and all but she's gotten a bit TOO popular... Kinda sick of seeing her all the time instead of the rest of Wario's equally great cast.
Yes, it's not like the WW cast was a giant vacuum before Ashley was introduced around the DS era. The series still managed to sell without her.

I do agree if Geno makes it, he might have his own icon since he's kind of a special case though. So I don't think that's an issue.
So, what would it be, Exor?

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
When Smash 4 speculation is mentioned are we talking about the period from the game's announcement to release or E3 2013 onwards? I remember in the 2 year period before the game was shown off people got way more extreme with the roster predictions. It was only after E3 2013 when predictions became more down to earth.

osby

Smash Obsessed
(7) Yoshi was revealed along with the other original cast from the beginning
(8) They revealed less unlockables instead of just Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. being unrevealed at launch
I get why there was so little unlockables. People weren't so interested in them lately and there wasn't much newcomers to begin with. Though it'd cool if we at least got Lucina and Dark Pit...hm, but maybe that would've cause people to hate them more.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure people would have hated them either way
That's for sure, but remember how many people hated Wolf, Toon Link and R.O.B. because they were expecting to unlock different characters and disappointed themselves.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
There are two kinds of people when it comes to unlock disappointment.

1 - People who are upset that the secret unlockable characters aren't the ones they were expecting/wanting and take it out on those characters.
2 - People who are upset that the secret unlockable characters aren't the ones they were expecting/wanting who move on and think, wow, we have new characters.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
That's for sure, but remember how many people hated Wolf, Toon Link and R.O.B. because they were expecting to unlock different characters and disappointed themselves.
That's kinda my point. There are people who love unlockables and people who don't. Some are happy with the roster and others hate it. No matter what they do it's impossible to please everyone in such a huge fanbase. There will always be the ones who are not satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom